PDA

View Full Version : Name some good American (or at least non-Japanese) animation...

John Booty
10-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Don't turn this thread into a non-anime/anime debate, but name some good examples of animation that didn't come from Japan that you love!

-Fantasia (the original and the re-make)
-Secret of NIMH
-The Lady and the Tramp

Hungryjack
10-08-2002, 12:06 PM
Hope I dont catch too much grief for this, but I thought Titan AE was good enough to own.

Ranma Saotome
10-08-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Hungryjack
Hope I dont catch too much grief for this, but I thought Titan AE was good enough to own.

That was good. Also add 'Oliver and Company' from Disney. That was good too.

pakachu420
10-08-2002, 12:58 PM
i like most of the disney animations. they all pretty good.

i also like The Simpsons

Cassandra
10-08-2002, 01:04 PM
Lemme see....I like:

Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast
The Little Mermaid
Titan AE was pretty good
The Iron Giant (I'm pretty sure that's not Japanese anyway)

and since I'm such an 80's chick, I have to add in my favorite 80's stuff (even though it's all cheezy looking back on it now):

She-Ra
old school He-Man
Jem and the Holograms
The Snorks
The Gummi Bears

peacecraft
10-08-2002, 01:09 PM
Invader Zim
The Family Guy
Heck, I have a soft spot for a lot of those weird little shows on Cartoon Network's Sunday Adult swim too.

Oshi
10-08-2002, 01:29 PM
The Siiimpsooons... XD
SpongeBob
And yeah, Disney rules.
And some of the 'Cartoon Cartoons" are okay.

Rosiel
10-08-2002, 01:33 PM
French animation:

Barbar
Tintin
Asterix

!!!! Il était une fois... (l'homme, la vie, l'espace, les amériques etc.)

This set of series gets my personal award of Best Show Ever for children and young adults. It actually taught history of mankind, American history, biology, great discoveries, etc. to kids by making it part of a really engaging story with characters which reappeared in all of the different snapshots. Amazing stuff.

(Speaking of French a number of animes in the 80s were French/Japanese joint projects, like for example Ulysses)

Disney features in general
(especially Sleeping Beauty & Lion King)
Dungeons & Dragons
WildCats
X-men
GI Joe (loved it when I was a kid)
She-Ra (see above)

John Booty
10-08-2002, 02:06 PM
Oh crap, Cass! How did I forget Iron Giant?

I thought that was probably the best animated American movie ever made.

Oooh, how about the original Aeon Flux shorts on Liquid TV? They were ridiculously bloody to the point of parody. Brilliant. Also, I actually like Beavis and Butthead a lot. Yes it's terrible but that's the point! It's sort of like deconstructing animation/storytelling. When is a plot not a plot? Also it has FIRE and fart jokes, which are always appreciated.

Also, early Looney Toons were great; actually thinking of them is what made me start this thread. The Jon Kricfalusi (sp?) Ren & Stimpy was pretty amazing too.

Koumori
10-08-2002, 02:21 PM
Iron Giant, definitely.
The wartime Looney Tunes. 'Rabbit of Seville,' 'What's Opera, Doc?' and my all-time favorite, 'Duck Amuck.'
Invader Zim.
Beauty and the Beast.
Some of the shorts from Aardman Animations of England - I'm not wild about Wallace & Gromit, but they have done some really magnificent shorter pieces. My favorite being the one where they do every single one of Shakespeare's plays, in something like 6 minutes, without dialogue.
And believe it or not, I loved 'The Prince of Egypt.'

Rosiel
10-08-2002, 02:21 PM
Oh I forgot Pond Life! This hilarious biting English satire about an almost-middle-aged spinster with no prospects, sagging boobs, and a roaring identity crisis...

I love that show. ^__^

Hungryjack
10-08-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
Dungeons & Dragons

As a kid, I was completely nuts about D&D (game and cartoon, but I'm talking about the cartoon). A few years ago I saw they had an episode at Suncoast so I bought it and watched it.

I must warn you that if you have not seen it since it was on TV, then I suggest you just keep it in your mind. Reality did not live up to the memories I had. :(

Rosiel
10-08-2002, 02:24 PM
> Reality did not live up to the memories I had.

I recently re-watched "The Legend of Zelda" which I loved as a kid and still loved it after all these years... so you never know. *crossing fingers*

Which reminds me... SCOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU!

(Something else I loved as a kid and still get a kick out of even now.)

John Booty
10-08-2002, 02:25 PM
> I must warn you that if you have not
> seen it since it was on TV, then I
> suggest you just keep it in your mind.
> Reality did not live up to the memories I
> had

Haha, that is so true for a lot of stuff ^_^

Ranma Saotome
10-08-2002, 02:48 PM
Gummi Bears! Bouncing here and there and everywhere! They are the Gummi Bears!

God I feel so old! :p

Ack, no more Scooby Doo! >.< I loved it an all, but CN plays it just a wee bit too much.

Demented Otaku
10-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Disney animation, especially Mulan.

Evinrude
10-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Goodness me, no has mentioned The Tick? Spooooooooon!!!!

Ahem, yes, the Simpsons are good, too. Daria was nice while it lasted. :) And I have to admit to being a "King of The Hill" fan, as well.

VioletFairy
10-08-2002, 03:01 PM
The Sunday morning Hanna Barbera lineup! Jonny Quest! I can still remember the theme song from the original...Jonny Quest was great.

Vi

Nietsche
10-08-2002, 03:16 PM
I remember this really excellently done fantasy animation called 'Flight of Dragons'
I recently had the pleasure of seeing it once again on cartoon network.

And then there's 'MASK' (no not 'the mask'), I loved those cool helmets (and spectrum's got such super vision!) and weird 2 in 1 vehicles! I feel bad about never buying into the whole merchandising thing...
Then there was that Bionic Six...that was fun to watch at the time! ^^

Jibrille
10-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Daria
Disney from Beauty and the Beast to The Lion King
Looney Toons
Animaniacs (yeah!!!)
Invader Zim is pretty good
OH! and Gargoyles!!!!! thats the best

uh...cant think of much else, midterms melt brain O.o

the zelda cartoon rocked all

Rosiel
10-08-2002, 03:41 PM
> OH! and Gargoyles!!!!! thats the best

I can't believe I forgot that... it's my favorite too.
*is shamed*

I want the DVDs... >__> But they are only releasing Awakening, not the Alavon Saga !

VioletFairy
10-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Nietsche
I remember this really excellently done fantasy animation called 'Flight of Dragons'

AAAH! You RULE! That happens to be my favorite animated movie of all time. I got it for my B-Day last year...I still watch it every chance I get. :D I absolutely love the music...and it's still every bit as good as it was when I was six.

Vi

aeva
10-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Well, as everyone else said, DISNEY! ANYTHING DISNEY! ::swoon:: My second biggest obsession. ^^;;; Other than that, I can't think of much. Well, besides that REALLY old Ewok animated show. XD XD XD And Muppet Babies, because anything that is Muppets must be worshiped.

Hungryjack
10-08-2002, 03:59 PM

Whoah, hold on. Was that the one with Carolinus the green wizard and Solarious the blue wizard?

Mei Lan Chang
10-08-2002, 04:02 PM

Dez! I LOVED that animation! I watched it recently and was kinda irked by the quality of the animation, but then again, how long ago was it made?

And some other favorites are:

My Little Pony Tails (I know you all watched this secretly)
Aeon Flux
Pretty much all Disney (they may be a monster, but they are a damn cool one)
Fragile Rock (animated version was cool, but I still think the Jim Hensen puppets were great)

KuroBara
10-08-2002, 04:06 PM
Let's see, Daria, Zim, Iron Giant (made me cry), Batman returns, X-men (both the classic & Evolution), Disney's movies, most of their recent tv shows and sequels are much lower quality. Sleeping Beauty, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Fantasia 2000 are some of my favorites. I miss the Gummi Bears and Marsupalami. I wish I got the toon disney channel!

Lol, not watching My Little Ponies was punishment for me as a kid.

Nietsche
10-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Yup that is the one!

May this spring memories of a forgotten time?

Carolinus the green wizard - nature
Solarius the blue wizard - highest space, deepest oceans
Lo ta zhao the golden wizard - Air, Enlightenment, wisdom, peace
Omadon the red wizard - Evil, Fire

It was such a memorable fantasy too!
A great work by a forgotten hand!

Mei Lan Chang
10-08-2002, 04:16 PM

May this spring memories of a forgotten time?

Carolinus the green wizard - nature
Solarius the blue wizard - highest space, deepest oceans
Lo ta zhao the golden wizard - Air, Enlightenment, wisdom, peace
Omadon the red wizard - Evil, Fire

It was such a memorable fantasy too!
A great work by a forgotten hand!

-Shifts nervously- Uhhh....and if I don't remember them? Eh..heh...heh...

Jibrille
10-08-2002, 04:49 PM
OH OH!! i forgot all about Batman AND especially Batman Beyond!! that rocks socks.

John Booty
10-08-2002, 05:00 PM
Oooh, I remember really liking the animated version of The Hobbit when I was maybe 10 or so.

That was totally intense and scary, but in a good way. Well, to a 10 year-old, anyway!

Studmaster
10-08-2002, 05:19 PM
This Topic grew like wildfire.

My Favorite TV Series.

Gargoyles
Beast Wars (Generation 1 whores can kiss my Ass, this series Rocked)

X-Men up to Season 5
Transformers
Gummy Bears
Duck Tales
Tale Spin
Batman
Batman Beyond
Superman
Darkwing Duck
X-Men Evolution
Thunder Cats
Daria
Beavis and Butthead
Spawn
Doug (OG)
Ren and Stimpy
Rocky and Bullwinkle show

Movies

Iron Giant
Robin Hood
Beauty and The Beast
Aladdin
Cinderella
Snow White
Oliver and Company
Both Rescuers Movies
Both Lion Kings (Simba's pride = Vastly underrated)
Shrek (even though the message sucked)

John Booty
10-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Ah! I also forgot Toy Story 1 & 2, which were both great. I might have even liked the second one more.

A Bug's Life was okay. I haven't seen Shrek or Monsters Inc, but they looked cool.

AHHH! Also, I thought the Price of Egypt was AWESOME!!! I disliked the musical interludes though.

Evinrude
10-08-2002, 05:52 PM
Hmmmm.... I seem to have forgotten about movies. :)

I'd have to add to my list:
The Last Unicorn (though it has been ages since I've seen it.)
The Hobbit
The Prince of Egypt (Despite being nothing like the segment of the Bible it covers... the music in that movie was just astounding.)
Rugrats in Paris (I dunno, I just thought it was cute...)

While I really like the animation of Disney, I find the movies themselves pretty bad. I liked Mulan, but movies like Pocahantas (I know I butchered that name...) are just plain stinking in stereotype, both native and english alike. The art of the movie was good, but the story...nah. :)

Cassandra
10-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Shrek was really good....Monsters Inc was even better :D

John Booty
10-08-2002, 05:56 PM
I've heard The Last Unicorn mentioned by a lot of people over the years. I'll have to check that out someday!

Mei Lan Chang
10-08-2002, 06:25 PM
The Last Unicorn was excellent...but..but....it's anime.

Cassandra
10-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Well, it depends on your definition of anime on that one. It was a Japanese-US collaboration. The Japanese did the animation, the US did the music, story and dialog. So it's kinda in the middle.

Oh yeah...and it's REALLY friggin sad. So unless you're ready to be on the verge of tears, Booty, I wouldn't recommend it ;) But the story and everything were good....it's just reallyreally sad.

Cyber Wolf
10-08-2002, 07:10 PM
*wants to see the Last Unicorn like the plague* O_O

Gargoyles, Invader Zim, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Simpsons, Neverending Story (this show used to be my whole life), My little pony tail (have the lunchbox collecting dust somewhere...), Care Bears, ooooo and Gumby if it counts ^_^ *loves Pokey* Whoa, just realized how much his name looks like "pocky" o_O;;;

Tenshi
10-08-2002, 08:21 PM
I found The Last Unicorn at Target about a year ago. So head there if you want to see it! That's one of my favorites, but I also like:

Old-school Disney (esp. Sleeping Beauty)
Pocahontas is the only new-school one I like (and yes, I'm well aware it's not a true story :P)
Super Mario Brothers
CAPTAIN N!!!! *rotfl*
Looney Tunes in general
Rainbow Brite (and just about any girl's cartoon from the 80s)
Lady Lovely Locks, which is my favorite from the 80s
The Iron Giant (I was baaaawwwwling)

More, lots more, that I'm forgetting ^.-. But as you can see my taste runs for super-cheesy 80s cartoons. I eat 'em up.

Celine
10-09-2002, 12:10 AM
Oh, this thread is bringing back so many wonderful memories of happy 80s cartoons. ^_^ I think nearly all of my favorites have been listed on here: South Park, Daria, Batman Beyond, The Last Unicorn, Titan A.E., Shrek, Disney movies (esp. Sleeping Beauty) etc. etc... I also loved the New Adventures of Johnny Quest (with the weird 3D cheesy CG effects, came out sometime in the 90s).

Has anyone mentioned Kim Possible, my recent cartoon obsession? It's soooo cute. Yay Disney! And, then there is ReBoot (first series) which was quite entertaining for all the computer geeks out there. I will also admit that I actually enjoy some of the CN Adult Swim lineup- Home Movies can be quite funny, and the pure idiocy of Sealab 2021 makes me laugh... also helps that it's on at midnight-ish when I have no brain to begin with.

Karasu
10-09-2002, 12:44 AM
TV shows:
She-Ra
He-Man
Jem and the Holograms
Dexter's Lab.
Johnny Bravo
Rainbow Brite
Thundercats

Movies:
The Last Unicorn (have it! :D )
Monsters Inc.
Any Disney (2 favs - Emperor's New Groove & Mulan)
The Care Bear movies
Secret of NIMH
Shrek
Pixar movies (Toy story 1 & 2!)

pakachu420
10-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Cassandra
Lemme see....I like:

and since I'm such an 80's chick, I have to add in my favorite 80's stuff (even though it's all cheezy looking back on it now):

She-Ra
old school He-Man
Jem and the Holograms
The Snorks
The Gummi Bears
GAH!!!! I FORGOT ABOUT THOSE!!!

old school he-man,she-ra and the snorks!!! YEAH!!!!
never really got into the gummi bears and i dont really remember jem and the holograms...^^;

Ranma Saotome
10-09-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Studmaster

Beast Wars (Generation 1 whores can kiss my Ass, this series Rocked)

Hey, I loved TF:BW damn you! :D

Cassandra
10-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by pakachu420

GAH!!!! I FORGOT ABOUT THOSE!!!

old school he-man,she-ra and the snorks!!! YEAH!!!!
never really got into the gummi bears and i dont really remember jem and the holograms...^^;

Jem was about a girl group, who's lead singer was a hologram on top of a rich chick. (Jerrica would touch her earring to call her super-computer....."Showtime Synergy!" and then a hologram of Jem would appear on top of her so everyone thought she was Jem and they became the top group in the show. The bad guys were their competition....The Misfits.)

Jerrica ran an orphanage and eventually the kids all started to help out with the group. There were huge dolls that you could buy of each of the band members, their manager (Rio), The Misfits and some of the kids. (They were bigger than Barbies!) And each of the dolls came with a 2-song tape...the theme song and another song from the show.

Now I feel old -.-;

Cyber Wolf
10-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Hey, I saw a Jem advertisement in some catalogue before. Looks cool and it's all 80s. ^^ Which reminds me, I used to watch New Kids on The Block ^^;;;; I loved that show, lol

Koumori
10-09-2002, 04:48 PM

Jerrica ran an orphanage and eventually the kids all started to help out with the group. There were huge dolls that you could buy of each of the band members, their manager (Rio), The Misfits and some of the kids. (They were bigger than Barbies!) And each of the dolls came with a 2-song tape...the theme song and another song from the show.

You have no idea how much those dolls sell for on eBay now. I recently decided I had to have some - missed my old Stormer doll, dammit - but I'm totally priced out of the Jem market. Last year when we had a cartoon-themed Halloween party, one of my friends came as a Misfit. Good times.

Duck Tales was pretty good. I enjoy Scooby-Doo, but it's sure not for the animation. And yes, how could I have forgotten Daria? And, um.. there was this Squigglevision show a few years back called "Science Court." Educational, yet completely weird, and done by all the same people who worked on all the other Squigglevision stuff (Jonathan Katz, Paula Poundstone, etc...)

Rosiel
10-09-2002, 04:58 PM
> You have no idea how much those dolls sell for on eBay now.

You've got to be kidding... I have quite a number of them at home... although not in their boxes anymore... they've been thouroughly played with... so now that I think about it, probably worthless. ^___^

Rosiel
10-09-2002, 05:00 PM
It just came to mind... HOW could I forget the terror that quacks in the night?

Did anyone mention Darkwing Duck?

(One of my friends in University was the biggest DD fangirl in the world and got me into it...)

SleepingKirby
10-09-2002, 06:03 PM
I'd just like to mention a fairly unremembered great piece of non-japanese storyline/animation work. Reboot. Especially when they didn't have to deal with BS&P. That's when interesting things like Renegades and Glitched Bob appeared. Can anyone sing the BS&P song?

Ranma Saotome
10-09-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
It just came to mind... HOW could I forget the terror that quacks in the night?

Did anyone mention Darkwing Duck?

(One of my friends in University was the biggest DD fangirl in the world and got me into it...)

"A daring duck of mystery, who always outta sight!"

Dammit, don't do that! :D

And let's not forget DuckTales now! :)

Tenshi
10-09-2002, 11:06 PM
I forgot about Reboot! I really like it, esp. the third season. I used to think it was way cheesy, but then it came on at 5:30 in the morning, when I was getting ready for work. Since I had no brain that early in the morning, I really got into it :P.

Spooky Brew
10-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Hey, what about Batman the animated series? As well as Spider-man, they came out around '93/'94. Totally awesome. Rainbow Brite is also one of my old time fav's. Care Bears, My Little Pony's, Jem and the Holograms, to! Kim Possible (love Rufus). Jackie Chan Adventures, and most of the KSWB line-up. Gargoyles, Bonkers, Hercules the animated series, Aladdin the animated series, Invader Zim, Spongebob Squarepants, The Fairly Oddparents, Jimmy Neutron, Johnny Quest (new and old), Scooby-Doo (old and movies), The Last Unicorn, Veggie Tales (who doesn't like siging vegetables?) and WAY to many others to even think of right now....

Lisibit
10-10-2002, 01:17 AM
But we're the Misfits, our songs are better! *sighs*

I love cartoons. The ones i've been watching recently include Spongebob, He-Man and the MOTU (new and old versions), Gargoyles (YAY!), Daria, and Underdog.

Gargoyles is one of my favorites, even if it isn't the best.

Ranma Saotome
10-10-2002, 01:33 AM
Daria... The Anti-Cartoon. Gotta love it. ^^

Mei Lan Chang
10-10-2002, 04:01 AM
Hahha...Booty, you make the most interesting threads.

katrinastrife
10-10-2002, 06:14 AM
American Animation?

Invader ZIM is great (along with all of Jhonen Vasquez's comics and stuff too, but they're not cartoons, are they?) . Ren and Stimpy is a childhood favorite, and SpongeBob's innocent stupidity is really funny... the first few times. I used to like Doug -- the OLD Doug, not the new one when they're in high school ><*. And I thought that Rocko's Modern Life was the greatest... Damn, Nickolodeon isn't that bad after all, is it? ^^*

The powerpuff girls is insanely funny... as Japanese anime-esque as it is. My mom has a bunch of the aeon flux tapes. I watched them once... REALLY weird. I remember there was another funny but sick and twisted cartoon on near aeon flux and beavis and butthead.... I think it was called Oddities, but I don't remember. I like Daria, too--I'm like her in a lot of ways! I guess that is the anti-cartoon...

As for movies... Well, Iron Giant was great (;.; sooo sad, tho.) I LOVE the movie Anastasia, and Titan AE was great (They named the planet BOB!!! ^^* well, they were going to anyway... sorry, spolier ^^*) ...

There used to be this show on... it only ran for 4 episodes before it got kicked off TV (too much controversy). It was called "God, the Devil, and Bob", I think... (order might be different.) I thought it was pretty funny, but I guess not that many people have my kinda sense of humor...

And my friend and I found Rainbow Brite on the internet subtitled... we think it might have been an anime, but who knows?

((((((((((^_^;)

ja ne!

Lisibit
10-10-2002, 10:05 AM
As much as I liked Titan A.E., the Drej bugged me. Their animation seemed so fake and underdone in comparison to that of the rest of the characters...for some reason I was reminded moving cooking utensils in Sesame Street's Teeny Little Super Guy...A very choppy unconnected sort of movement.

*fidgets nervously, and tries to deny that she's weird*

Jibrille
10-10-2002, 11:23 AM
oh oh oh! i forgot about The Critic. now THAT was some good stuff. ^^ too funny for words.

John Booty
10-10-2002, 11:26 AM
Holy crud, I forgot one of my favorites - Dexter's Lab! I like Powerpuff Girls too, but Dexter is by far my favorite!

Ranma Saotome
10-10-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by John Booty
Holy crud, I forgot one of my favorites - Dexter's Lab! I like Powerpuff Girls too, but Dexter is by far my favorite!

Go Dexter Family Team Go!

Studmaster
10-10-2002, 12:14 PM
I can't believe that I forgot the most underrated series of all time. The Critic was love when it was on, I never missed a week of it.

Now that's another series I want on DVD.

Cassandra
10-10-2002, 01:15 PM
I loved the old school Garfield cartoons when I was a kid. My grandmother used to tape all of them for my sister and I so we could watch them when we visited :D

Ranma Saotome
10-10-2002, 05:46 PM
I loved the old school Garfield cartoons when I was a kid. My grandmother used to tape all of them for my sister and I so we could watch them when we visited :D

It's a shame the voice for Garfield passed away. :(

Spaztik
10-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Titan AE rocked, Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff girls are cool, but Zim is the end-all and be-all of American animation. Debate over, end the thread now, its settled

Spaztik
10-10-2002, 08:32 PM
oh yeah, and Freakaziod. That show was simply hilarious. I cant explain it any other way.

Spaztik
10-10-2002, 08:38 PM
...dangit why cant i think of these all at once?

The Tick and Futurama also

Spooky Brew
10-11-2002, 12:06 AM
Freakazoid is one of my all time fav's. I like the episode where the wierdo kept turning all the beavers into gold statues, a total riot!

makio
10-11-2002, 04:04 AM
The only animation I liked that I think hasn't been mentioned would probably be those X-men cartoons FOX aired back in the early/mid-90s. Unfortunately, the Silver Surfer one wasn't as good...but at least they showed 'Days of Future's Past'.

katrinastrife
10-11-2002, 04:44 AM
Dexter!!!

That show is hilarious, but the voices bug the hell out of me... WEll, after a marathon or something...

LOL! Freakazoid is great too, but I forgot one that used to always crack me up

ANIMANIACS!!! Pinky And the BRAIN!!! ^^*

SleepingKirby
10-11-2002, 11:56 AM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Silverhawks or Thundercats. The Critic... I miss that show. Especially with the abundance of bad movies in recent days. Jay Sherman, where are you?!? Oh yeah, does anyone remember the Gulf War episode? Does that have some relevance in thie recent times?

BTW, Miss Katrinastrife, just like to mention that geocities doesn't allow third party direct linking for images. That's why your signature picture isn't working. My suggestion is to use the default (usually 5-20 megs) of free webspace that your IP usually provides. Or just ask a nice friend to post that image for you. :D

Hungryjack
10-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by SleepingKirby
BTW, Miss Katrinastrife, just like to mention that geocities doesn't allow third party direct linking for images. That's why your signature picture isn't working. My suggestion is to use the default (usually 5-20 megs) of free webspace that your IP usually provides. Or just ask a nice friend to post that image for you. :D

I took the liberty of putting it on my site as well. If you'd like to link to it, Katrinastrife, the link is http://www.devinbrown.com/jacqui.jpg and if you would prefer me to, I'll be happy to remove it and butt out. I was just looking for a quick solution for you.

Aurora
10-11-2002, 01:16 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (not ALL the episodes were animated as good as some of the others but still....turtle power! XD) and Sonic the Hedgehog (blue streak...speeds by...sonic the hedgehog! XD) ...oh yeah, as well as duck tales, tale spin, darkwing duck, chip n' dale rescue rangers, all those disney movies ^_^

Gingerbread Man
10-13-2002, 07:57 PM
I donno if anyone's already said this...and I'm not sure how much crap I'll catch from it....but Powerpuff girls is the shit!!!!!

John Booty
10-13-2002, 08:21 PM
Powerpuff girls is great. It's funny how it's often compared to anime though- visually speaking its main inspiration is clearly from 60's and 70's American animation. There are definite anime influences like the big eyes and "action lines" during battles, but... oh well, that's just IMHO!

Koumori
10-13-2002, 08:55 PM
Hmmmm. Seems like a lot of the more recent cartoons being listed (The Tick - what a fabulous show - The Critic, Zim, etc.) are coming up because they've all got fantastic writing. But I can't think of any TV shows - not thinking of movies here - after the era of hand-drawn Looney Tunes, etc. (which were originally shown in theaters, after all) that has really knocked my socks off with its actual animation. Reboot came close at the time, but I think that was because of the novelty of an entirely CG show, and I don't know how well the animation holds up now. Can anybody think of a *beautiful* American cartoon show?

Mei Lan Chang
10-13-2002, 09:03 PM
I think some of the old toons made my Walt Disney are really good. I love that one where Donald is trying to give Pluto a bath with this bizarre doggy bath machine. I am a certified sucker for classic Disney.

Ranma Saotome
10-14-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Koumori
Can anybody think of a *beautiful* American cartoon show?

Hmm... Either Kidd Video or Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Koumori
10-14-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome

Hmm... Either Kidd Video or Alvin and the Chipmunks.

The only one that really leaps to my mind is Batman: the Animated Series.. it wasn't the most smoothly animated or anything, but the designers had really thought about the way everything should look, all decaying Art Deco. I thought that was really nicely done.

Hikaru
10-31-2002, 11:44 PM
My favorite ones are the Angry Beavers, Lion King (the Lion King technically is Disney's best film as it pulled in over $360 million), The Nightmare Before Christmas (not really a cartoon but I don't care), Ren and Stimpy, and Invader Zim. :)

Studmaster
11-01-2002, 01:12 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot Count Duckula and Danger Mouse.

gmontem
11-01-2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome
It's a shame the voice for Garfield passed away. :(
That is a shame. :( What other characters did the VA do? I wonder if he did Peter Venkmen from The Real Ghostbusters.

Anyways, some American TV animation I enjoyed watching over the years in no particular order:

- Dungeons and Dragons
- Mighty Max
- The Tick
- The Real Ghostbusters
- The Smurfs
- Count Duckula
- Danger Mouse
- The Rugrats
- Hey Arnold
- Ducktales

And then there's those "kiddie" Nicelodeon shows I watched religiously like "The Adventures of the Little Koala" .... :)

Oh man I'm starting to feel nostalgic. Anyone seen Mask or Bionic 6 or Jason and the Wheeled Warriors? lol. :)

A J
11-01-2002, 05:20 AM
Transformers! (My all time favorite 80s cartoon)

Yay for fans of Batman Beyond! I went as Ten from the Royal Flush gang for Halloween today and I had a whopping 4 people recognize me... =P

My other favorite is Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles. It's very well done CG animation and not much like the live action movie and it was cancelled before it got finished. =( But it's really really good!

Michi
11-01-2002, 11:36 AM
I refuse to go through all six pages of this. ^^; But I read like the first two...

Along with most all Disney features, and a bunch of older stuff I'll forget to put here, I've always loved Batman the Animated Series and Batman Beyond.. plus the newer Nicktoons like Invader Zim and Fairly Oddparents, and the nearly forgotten ones like Angry Beavers, the original Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life.. and the great stuff on Cartoon Network like Johnny Bravo, the Powerpuff Girls, and Dexter's Laboratory.

And I don't think I could even start naming everything else right now.. I just woke up. ^^; So perhaps I'll edit this post later. x_x

kotoko
11-01-2002, 08:29 PM
defenatily danger mouse, she-ra, he-man,rainbow brite, invader zim, strawberry shortcake, iron giant (it made me cry), the powerpuff girls, ren and stimpy, fraggle rock...wait that wasnt a cartoon...but it kicked ass anyways ^^ i cant remember X.x but alot of them were awesome!

kotoko
11-01-2002, 08:32 PM
oo! does anyone remember david the gnome?

gmontem
11-02-2002, 01:59 AM
Aaah, David the Gnome! Still don't understand why the gnomes are constantly smiling even while watching another tending an animal's wounds. Strange.