PDA

View Full Version : Risky Masq. theme?

Masami
08-21-2003, 01:56 AM
For Katsucon/Akon, my friends and I were thinking of doing an anime skit dealing with the movie Moulin Rouge. We weren't going to have any risky moves really, so do you guys think it'd be ok? Would our skit be too risky for a family audience?

Masami
08-21-2003, 01:58 AM
Oh and another thing ^__^; It wouldn't really involve the whole Moulin Rouge sexual theme, we mainly are going to play the song "Lady Marmalade" ... not do some skit about (this is a ghetto example) the Sailor Scouts working at the Moulin Rouge or anything of the sorts

Psychotic Jei
08-23-2003, 03:23 AM
Eee. I saw two skits like that a few AX's back. So I dunno, they were pretty....well... I think you should just think of what a 13 year old would be able to see and judge by that.

Koumori
08-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Oh and another thing ^__^; It wouldn't really involve the whole Moulin Rouge sexual theme, we mainly are going to play the song "Lady Marmalade" ... not do some skit about (this is a ghetto example) the Sailor Scouts working at the Moulin Rouge or anything of the sorts

Well. That song's about prostitution, you know. ;)

Lyn
08-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Lady Marmalade has been used in skits before and no one made a big deal about it. Of course, several of them were a little on the risque side but they weren't overly so. I haven't seen the ones at AX but I saw one done at Katsucon once and they did this rather sexy dance but overall they kept it PG-13.

And even though, as Koumori said, the song is about prostitution, that song has been played over and over on the radio stations so a good amount of kids already know the song rather well. I say you're pretty safe to use it.

BlackDelo
08-24-2003, 03:45 AM
yeah...speaking of sailor scouts, there was some SLIGHTLY controversiail stuff at Fanime. I personally didn't care but then again i'm an 18 year old north american male. of course i didn't mind two girls kissing. the point i'm geting at is that you should just think your skit through and use your best judgement.

Masami
08-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Thanks ^-^ Yay it was actually the Fanime controversy that got me into worrying. The more I think about it, our skit will over-all be around PG, but I just wanted to ask other people for their opinons. Don't want to be the next topic on here for risky skits ><

Karisu-sama
08-27-2003, 08:11 AM
Look: kids have heard the song Lady Marmalade, but the meaning of the song is likely to go over their heads. ACTIONS however, won't. I am not the only parent who goes to cons, and my kids are likely not the only kids in a Masquerade audience, so use your good judgement here.

The Fanime girl-girl kissing in a skit was not what I objected to (I don't wish my kids to grow up homophobic), but the simulated stylized "sex act" onstage WAS. (Not a big deal to me personally,but my kids (ages 8 and 12) - and possibly others - WERE in the audience.)

My advice, FWIW: keep the behavior PG. ^^ These cons ARE supposed to be family-friendly.

Psychotic Jei
08-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Honestly, I always try to think of what would be appropriate. Last Ani-Magic we toned down our skit, because of those reasons. Though, I have a habit of sneaking innuendos into skits. *shrugs* Nothing huge, and half the time you really have to think about it to get the idea.

Shastar
09-03-2003, 05:49 PM
if you are planning on doing it at Katsucon, be warned: Dark Muffins did it two years ago.

Iv'e seen Lady Marmalade skits a total of 3 times. none of them really impressed me.

Dan

Koumori
09-03-2003, 06:02 PM
I would also beg you not to use the *whole* song. It's long, and unless you have a LOT of stuff to do to keep the audience's attention, it will wander quickly.

kankero_neko
02-09-2004, 02:48 PM
if you are planning on doing it at Katsucon, be warned: Dark Muffins did it two years ago.

Iv'e seen Lady Marmalade skits a total of 3 times. none of them really impressed me.

Dan

In response to the above statement, by ll means please do the Moulin Rouge skit. Who cares if Dark Muffins has or has not done it. My name is Patrick, and I wrote that skit for Dark Muffins two years ago. I am the president or dictator depending on how you see it of the group. I would love to see someone do it again. We do not have ownership of the skit, and to assume so is stupid. Just have fun with it. When you stress too much about it you take the chance of ruining something good.

Masami
02-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Koumori: Lol.. Don't worry. We're only doing 30 secs of it. NOT the whole song.

kankero_neko: We're going for it, and have it all planned out! Thanks though.

The skit is PG, the costumes are made.... See you all at Katsu >D

Shastar
02-09-2004, 05:13 PM
In response to the above statement, by ll means please do the Moulin Rouge skit. Who cares if Dark Muffins has or has not done it. My name is Patrick, and I wrote that skit for Dark Muffins two years ago. I am the president or dictator depending on how you see it of the group. I would love to see someone do it again. We do not have ownership of the skit, and to assume so is stupid. Just have fun with it. When you stress too much about it you take the chance of ruining something good.

Ok, by no means was I trying to say that Dark Muffins "owns" the skit or whatever. I was simply saying that it runs the risk of having a "oh, we already saw that" vibe.

But, if you really want to do the skit, then by all means, Like Patrick said, do it. :skidude2:

kankero_neko
02-10-2004, 11:19 AM
sorry dan, i ws not trying to be rude. It just has come to my attention recently that there are a lot of people out there that have this horrid idea that just because a group has done a skit another can not or they are ripping off the idea. I wish i knew when cosplay went from fun to cut throat,

Shastar
02-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Right about the time "infinate propdom" was banned

Dan