PDA

View Full Version : Ani-Magic Masquerade

Rey-Rey
10-08-2002, 04:39 PM
I haven't really talked about this yet but, yes, I was glad the way the Masquerade turned out.

As for the skits and costumes, I was glad that nobody seemed tense during their performances. It looked like all you people had a really great time.

As for me being the MC, I'm a virgin on the mic. So was my co-host, Jean (who also happens to be my very lovely girlfriend). But what we wanted to do was make it fun for everybody, get people involved, and show everybody why conventions were meant to be fun in the first place. Of course, we shouldn't take all the credit. Everybody involved in the Masquerade deserves credit from the SOUND GUYS to the COORDINATORS to the JUDGES to the PEOPLE WATCHING.

The Masquerade isn't about competition. It's about fun. When it gets too competitive, then it's no longer fun and people want to tear each other's hearts out. We don't want that. We want EVERYBODY INVOLVED to have fun. Isn't that why we go to anime conventions? To escape all the drama from the real world?

I hope that everybody had fun with the Masquerade as much as I had fun hosting the whole thing. I think we could've done better as hosts; I know we weren't perfect. But we're striving to be better. Maybe we'll do it again next year. ^__^ v

sincerely,
Rey-Rey

AM 2002 Cosplay Under The Stars Co-MC

Dragoon Knight
10-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Your MC'in was great, as was Jean's ^^ I had a good masq.

katchoo
10-08-2002, 05:56 PM
I thought your MCing was awesome! It was incredibly entertaining! Even more so than Comiccon.

love,
katchoo ^_^

Aoshi Shinomori
10-08-2002, 06:02 PM
I thought you two were awesome. and u even said Aoshi right too.. I had alot of fun at the masquerade.

Famira Damaris
10-08-2002, 06:20 PM
As for me being the MC, I'm a virgin on the mic. So was my co-host, Jean (who also happens to be my very lovely girlfriend). But what we wanted to do was make it fun for everybody, get people involved, and show everybody why conventions were meant to be fun in the first place. Of course, we shouldn't take all the credit. Everybody involved in the Masquerade deserves credit from the SOUND GUYS to the COORDINATORS to the JUDGES to the PEOPLE WATCHING.

Speaking of the Sound Guys - someone finally fed them, right? :P

As for the MCing - you guys did great. :P I was laughing even though I was right next to those huge deafening speakers. xX!

Karisu-sama
10-08-2002, 06:52 PM
When I want to compete, I go to Karate tournaments. (And I blew off the Kubota All Star tourney for Animagic, heh ;) ). I don't go to Masquerades to compete, I go to perform, hee hee! (I'm a show-off, heh - but I like to hang out with other show-offs and all of us show off together :D... )

The Masq. "competition thing" for me is: do I meet my own standards for what I wanted to do. (I personally think we could have gotten that fight scene a lot tighter, but since it was originally a cool choreographed sword fight and had to be changed to comply with the Animagic rules, and we couldn't work it out until we saw the size of the stage on Friday...)

My only complaint is: I REALLY WANTED TO WATCH EVERYONE ELSE'S SKITS!!!! Because my younger kid & I were in the Star Wars show, we had to run away after our skit & prep for that (That's what really had me nervous that night - we literally had no idea WHAT we were going to be doing in the Star Wars show until AFTER our Masq. skit was over - no one had clued us in yet!!!)

*Begs for video footage again...*

Kamui Motoaki
10-08-2002, 07:01 PM
Rey rey is the first MC i've seen that was actually entertaining. .^_^

FlameSniperRei
10-08-2002, 07:11 PM
*baps Rey on the head* How could u sing the Sm theme song so badly? LOL! XP

omigosh u guys were making fun of us huh? ;_; !

:confused:

Nadeshiko
10-08-2002, 07:11 PM
I thought you did a spiffy job. Loved the guest MC thing. The masquerade was an entertaining show. You're right about the masq not being all about competition. It seemed that everyone had a wonderful time on and offstage. ^_^ Great show! Not bad for a first time!

Rey-Rey
10-08-2002, 07:15 PM
G, no, I was not making fun of you. O_O I wanted to help set the tone for the Masquerade and since you guys were first, I thought it'd be appropriate to put on the SM theme song. And, you know what? I didn't even know I was going to sing that until the music hit and I got on the stage. ^__^ v So sorry if you took any offense to that. I didn't mean any harm whatsoever. You guys were great on stage. ^__^ v And even if I WAS, it should be nothing compared to saying that I LIKE TO TOUCH MYSELF ON COLD WINTER NIGHTS in front of 300 people. =O

Thanks for all the kind words. Like I said, if enough people think we're good enough, Jean and I will do it again next year. ^__^ v

Karisu-sama
10-08-2002, 07:41 PM
Rey-Rey, if I get to see any Masq. video (hint hint, mina-san), I'll get to see how funny everyone says you were! I'm sure you did fine. ^_^

Psychotic Jei
10-08-2002, 10:33 PM
You were a great MC. And all in all I had a fun time in the Masq....even though when my group got on stage....our track started playing without us being ready. x_x; We were all like "o_O Whaaat." But yeah. It was cool....and I seriously hope you MC next year. It'll rawk.

::had to go back an edit typos:: x_x

artemis316
10-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Rey, you totally rocked at MC! While watching Lionel's video while coming home, me, Claudine and Aero were laughing our arses off from your antics and stuff! Hopefully, you and Jean do it again next year!!

*Gives cheesy thumbs up* =P

Wandering Otaku
10-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Even though I was in the resteraunt for much of the masq, I did hear some of what went on, and I loved it! And what I saw in line waiting to go on stage was great. REY-REY you must, you must do it again! WAAAAAAA! :waaaah:

Rey-Rey
10-09-2002, 12:23 AM
As long as you guys have fun, I'll have fun. ^_^ v I'll definitely consider coming back as MC along with that two-dollar ho... homegirl of mine. >=D

AM Chair
10-09-2002, 12:36 AM
Rey Rey, you gave a two million dollar perfomance, and you've set the tone for future masqs here at AM! I was touched to see how many of you switched over to Star Wars mode from anime.

Gina, Karisu and family, it touched me to see the depth of your cosplay talents. And ditto for the fun comments Rey has esposed. We want fun to be a key factor in the AM Masq for many years to come. and yes, you both have the job if you want it again. I think the crowd demands it :)

Revell

Karisu- My wife shot the masq, so yeah, I can get you a copy soon. let me know your home addy ASAP.

Aya Mizu
10-09-2002, 03:43 AM
^_^

It was a pleasure to finally participate this year after attending Ani-Magic from its first year, and I had a wonderful time! My thanks to the tech crews, staff, Honeychan, Tristen, Jean and Rey as great MCs, and other fantastic cosplayers whom I enjoyed the skits of. The intermission acts were also a delight to watch! I look forward to next year's Masquerade and will definitely try to participate from now on! :D

Tetsugyu
10-09-2002, 04:40 AM
I thought you did a great Job Rey Rey. Especially when you joined our cosplay group in following the lovley GinRei off stage during the Big Fire skit. I felt it showed your ability to adapt to the situation well and also showed a nack for entertaining and improvisation. Though, like Dilandu-sama said, most of us missed the Masqurade because we where in it, I am sure this talent was used throughout the show. I'd love to see you back next year. I wouldn't mind trying it out myself, either. ;)

Kenshin Ken
10-09-2002, 05:34 PM
*chuckles* nice save Re Rey ^^.
Ya had alotta charisma to go with your skillz on the mic ^^. Hope to see you MC'ing again next year at AM 2003~! ^^

SleepingKirby
10-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Usually, I don't like the whole macho-player act, but I actually found myself laughing. I do hope you return for next year, Mr. Steak Dinner. It was fun. Oh yes, was the whole black mage thing planned? Or was the person just that wacky to make up all the skits on the fly?

Rey-Rey
10-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Hmmmm. All I did was tell Mr. Black Mage to do his thing. He did the rest. ^__^ v

Thanks for all your comments so far! It's still a year away, but I'm definitely considering doing it again. ^__^ v

hichan
10-11-2002, 05:13 AM
hee heeee... ninja rap was the best part ^.^

Aya Mizu
10-11-2002, 03:27 PM
*pokes Hichan* About time. XD

hichan
10-11-2002, 04:56 PM
oiiii... ^^; i just finally have only one mid-term left... and no real wushu training... XD and no cons!!!!

ahhhhh... free time *__*

Aya Mizu
10-11-2002, 08:37 PM
XD Ya, until the next one.

Nova
10-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Everyone's Mas. was hella good. Ours was BLEH cause one: we couldn't come up with anything. two: the guy who was trying to form something for us was a compleat moron, sad thing is he's my Ex Xx. Anywho,the Skit went ok but when our Yamato jumped into Taichi's arms Taichi accedently grabbed something that was a no no on Yamato,but i guess it made it more believeable in the whole Yaoism. >.> Hopefully at Fanime and AX we'll have MORE TIME and someone else help us try and come up with a skit @_@

Famira Damaris
10-12-2002, 06:35 PM
*L* I LIKED the Digimon one. :P Very cute. XD

Nova
10-12-2002, 06:47 PM
wee! thank you^_^ are you one of Alberts friends? o_o

Famira Damaris
10-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Yup. :P I was the boring one with the short hair and the glasses.

waynekaa
10-18-2002, 08:18 PM
No, the best part is Rey Rey's intro to Let's Naruto!

Raider3
10-20-2002, 07:41 AM
While on the subject of Ani-Magic 2002 Masquerade, I wanted to let anyone interested know (Especially since Karisu was asking) that I taped the entire Masquerade (Including the Star Wars presentation).

It worked out to be roughly 2 hours and 38 minutes, including 2 camcorder tape changes, 3 tape total, about 50 minutes of footage on each, combined on one T-160 cassette in SP mode. I am thinking about preparing a two-tape version with footage split up between two 2-hour length tapes.

A few words of warning, I was taping way back in the poolside area, about to the right of the pool, looking out to the stage, with the camcorder tripod propped up on a planter. Apologies for the frequent camera pans - I hope people don't get sick from it. Also, there was quite a bit of audience talk, but the microphones were pretty good, and the stage sound more or less overpowered most of the audience.

I'll be glad to get in touch with anyone who wants a copy. (In other words, mailing address on request.) Basically, send a blank T-160 (2:40 in SP mode), or two T-120 (standard 2-hour SP mode) tapes, and I'll dub copies for anyone who wants them. I would prefer not to charge for copies, since I consider this a "By Fans, for Fans" effort. :)

No fancy credits or anything, since I don't have spiffy titling software, or the means of DV-in and recording back out to tape... yet. This may change eventually over the next few months, but I can guarantee some good-looking cassette labels.