PDA

View Full Version : Rukia-- any similarity?

__Mugen
11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I've been doing some looking around for characters I could cosplay as, and along the way I stumbled upon Rukia from Bleach. Not literally, of course. xD

Anyway, I was basically wondering if I could pull her off at all. I have a picture below so if you could give me any feedback, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'm still a bit a iffy, so any other character suggestions would be awesome. (:

Oh, and sorry about the quality/lack of lighting. xD; My camera.. it lives to spite me.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk82/Implicit_xx/CIMG0140.jpg

Refrence picture:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t134/aarfreak42/rukia.jpg

Chergnomebyl
11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I think you could if your hair was black and you could flip out the ends.

__Mugen
11-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh, okay, thanks! (: I'll flip out the ends more, and as for turning my hair black.. I'll think about that one a little more. xD;

Chergnomebyl
11-07-2009, 06:30 PM
You could always use temp. dye ^_^ so you don't exactly permanently die your hair.

__Mugen
11-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Of course! xD;; I didn't think of that. Thank you! By the way, do you suppose silver/white temp. dye would work on dark hair? Well, my hair is reddish brown, but you get my drift. (:

Chergnomebyl
11-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Well...I've had my experience in dying my hair WAY TO MUCH permanently xD! but...No it wouldn't show much improvement at all. I suggest either a wig or spray on color which is OKAY but looks too iffy.

__Mugen
11-07-2009, 07:29 PM
xD Makes sense. Well, thank you for the suggestions! (:

Chergnomebyl
11-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes ma'am and goodluck in the near future with your costumes.

Bandersnatch
11-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Actually, "temporary" black dye will almost assuredly NOT be temporary. Even mild color changes using "temporary" dye usually result in some lasting effect when we're talking about natural colors, and with black it's basically guaranteed that your hair will be permanently altered. There are countless horror stories of people having to grow out black "temporary" hair color because it has a horrible staining effect and is resistant to even professional color correction after the fact.

And please, for the love of god, don't use spray in hair-color. The only cases where it looks even vaguely okay are when it's A) a mild color change and B) a hairstyle that will NOT be moving, such as short guy styles. Anything long that will be moving and rubbing on your clothing will result in horrible flaking and probably stain your costume, on top of looking like someone spray-painted your head.

Just get a wig, unless you're comfortable having black hair or a ruined costume.

__Mugen
11-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Bandersnatch- Oh, well, thank you for the warning! I certainly didn't know this, considering my experience with hair dye products is little to non-existent. xD I appreciate it.

hugginsseller- Thank you! (:

distantarray
11-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Bandersnatch- Oh, well, thank you for the warning! I certainly didn't know this, considering my experience with hair dye products is little to non-existent. xD I appreciate it.

hugginsseller- Thank you! (:

bander beat me to it, but yea BLACK semi permenant colors are NOT temporary. being a hairdresser for 7 years exp I know this for a fact. Almost every professional semi's have a lasting effect especially on light hair, this is why I often wonder why they even make a permenant black color in the first place.

I'd say if your hair is dark naturally just keep it that way, don't go darker for cosplay, wigs are honestly better for most situations, I'm debating on making my hair white for cosplay (which hurts btw 5 hours of bleach on the scalp often leads to chemical burns on Asian hair) but mainly because my hair is pretty damn short, and it'd only be for fun then just dye it back to black is no big deal.

Advice to those who try to bleach their hair white. It's impossible. Period. The only way you can get hair to a platinum white is to bleach your hair to a pale yellow, then introduce blue semi to the hair, the blue will neutralize the yellowish tones. If you do over bleach and get to white. Enjoy chunks of your hair falling off.

It's definitely something you SHOULD NOT do or even try at home. Even at salons most people will not know how to do this correctly, especially on short hair it can be tough cause bleach processes faster at the scalp cause of body heat, so you gotta watch the hair in 2 different processing times and application for the best results. Otherwise you'll have platinum roots and yellow ends.

btw you can pull off Rukia just fine, I'd glomp you :p

__Mugen
11-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Oh! You really know your stuff, huh? Thanks for the enlightenment, It was very helpful. (: Now I know that if major changes are called for, I should just go with a wig. : D Sounds less troublesome.

*fluster* Thank youu~ x3

Blood_Sword
11-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Hmm, I think you could make a good Rukia.

__Mugen
11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
x3 Thank you for the encouragement! I'm going to put in some thought about making her an official costume. In the picture I had just used what had been currently in my closet. xDD;

akisuna
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I think you can pull it off.