PDA

View Full Version : help stuffing my hair under the wig...

GreenElfie
08-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey! I need some tips....i just got a wig that i'm going to be wearing pretty soon, and i can't figure out how to stuff all my hair under it! I've tried straightening it as flat as it will go, and braiding it, and i can't seem to make it work. I did wear a wig once, and i managed to make it look ok (I could've done a better job), but i had a lot shorter hair then. My hair right now is mid back length and vvveeerrryyyy thick, and nothing i am doing is working! Help! does anyone have any tips? :)

liz-maru
08-22-2003, 06:23 PM
all i know is just braid it in little braids and then squeeze those under a wig cap with some barretts >< doh

HowlinMadMurphy
08-22-2003, 06:38 PM
I know Katie Bair has some step by step guide somewhere that was really helpful, but I can't seem to find it now :/ I'll keep looking.

megumibish
08-22-2003, 07:25 PM
you could just put your hair into pigtails and pull each one up and circle it on the side of your head...each pigtail should just be on the matching side....and then bobbypinned into place..smooth it out as you go along...that will give a nice smooth look. It works well for my medium length hair...

GreenElfie
08-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll have to try your pigtail suggestion megumibish, i've never even thought of doing it that way. it sounds kind hard *L* I'll try the braid one again too, liz, even though i tried that technique already, maybe my braids aren't small enough...or maybe i'm just not doing it right. haha. anyway, thanks again!

ElleHazard
08-23-2003, 11:17 AM
http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_wigcare.html

At the bottom, read "Wearing a Wig".

Sarcasm-hime
08-23-2003, 02:26 PM
I have knee-length hair, and the best method I've found is french-braiding in a circle around my head, then coiling the braid in the middle.

ZiggyB
08-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Along with all the great advice here, I've linked to a couple of other "putting long hair under a wig" threads which may help you out.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=18701

Check out number 15. Good luck.

Kaori-chan
08-24-2003, 04:33 PM
I don't know how this works for longer hair, but I put my hair in a *LOSE* bun (more of kinda throwing it up in a shape similar to a bun) and bobby pin it in place. The last step is just to keep it there if I have to adjust the wig. It's worked fine for me thus far, and I have very thick hair and the wig I had was thin as...well....it was VERY thin. So yeah, maybe I helped in some way...

GreenElfie
08-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Wow...you are all so excellent! Thank you for all the great suggestions, everyone! ^.^

Kaori-chan
08-24-2003, 05:45 PM
You're quite welcome....I just hope I was able to help (^.^)

Ruby-Chan
08-25-2003, 01:41 AM
i used the same method kaori-chan did and i have hip length super thick hair (the silly hairdress broke her clips last time i went to get it cut). it worked pretty well. you just have to make sure you hairpin is really tightly in the wig

Kaori-chan
08-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Yeah....at Metrocon my wig kept trying to fall off. (>.<)

kerochan
09-08-2003, 09:58 AM
have you tried making it into a bun or while it was still wet? Then bobby pinned it like crazy?
I have super thick hair( but not that long) and having my hair wet under the wig worked out ok.

Kaori-chan
09-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Might work, but wouldn't getting the wig wet be kinda weird? Make sure you don't go outside if it's cold ^^;

silverwolf
09-14-2003, 10:49 AM
The easist and sure thing way to keep your hair up is to get a wig cap! They look like stockings and you can get them at a hair shop or beauty shop. They're very cheap, I got mine for $1. When I had long hair, I put my hair in a pony tail and stuffed it under my cap. It's even easier with short hair. After you get the cap on, whip your wig over it, and pin it to the wig. It keeps you hair under there pretty good. When I'm at cons, a lot of people don't know it's a wig.

Kaori-chan
09-14-2003, 08:28 PM
It helps the wig stay on then? I'd need one of those, since my newest wig will end up having long pigtails on it.....

Gunny
09-15-2003, 11:26 AM
I cosplayed as Gunwitch (comic book character) at Wizard World this year and I had to wear a black wig. I thought I was going to lose my mind because my hair is long (down to the small of my back) until I found the tip on putting long hair into a wig with a wig cap. And it was perfect! The wig cap helped the wig's net grip onto my head and it didn't move AT ALL. I had to reposition it every now and then to remind myself that I'm wearing a wig!

When I first got the wig cap and put it on my head, I pulled it all the way down over my chin! It was HUGE!!! But it was a good thing it was huge. I could pull it down and fold it up repeatedly to make sure that my hair is pushed down as flat as possible (kinda like flattening and rolling toothpaste). The only problem I had is that the hair in front of my ears showed under the wig. I fussed with it for a while, but the only way to hide it would have been to shave the hair off. :eek:

So, long story short, I highly recommend wig caps. And, just as a bonus, on eBay, a wig supplier is giving away free wig caps (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15737&item=3430674920). No shipping charges!! Be sure you read the WHOLE auction all the way through so there's no confusion. I've already "bid" on mine.

Kaori-chan
09-15-2003, 07:17 PM
OOH! FREE STUFF! Yeah, that hair in the front is extremely annoying. You could always dye that part with temporary stuff to match the color of your wig..... *shrug*

Gunny
09-16-2003, 09:17 PM
Yeah, that hair in the front is extremely annoying. You could always dye that part with temporary stuff to match the color of your wig..... *shrug*

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll probably just spray that part of my hair or give it a severe brushing of theatre makeup powder and then hair spray it so the color will stay.

Eh. I'll probably just spray it. That's easier. :)

Kaori-chan
09-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Yeah, or use that colored gel stuff. Depends on what color you want it...

Ruby-Chan
09-18-2003, 12:13 AM
i've always used a wig cap. my problem isn't getting my hair under the wig usually, its not making me look like a conehead with 5lbs of hair shoved under a wig, heh.