PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2: Gordon Freeman HEV suit. *HIGH DETAILS*

fiercedeity2
11-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Hello, I have come here for help in my newest project... To build an HEV suit like Gordon Freemans. I have no idea how to do this, I've done some research but I need specific and complex details about how to go about this. To some people this may sound like a simple challenge, but I DO NOT want CARDBOARD, PAPER, PLASTIC or any other cheap ass material in this suit. This thing is going to be 100% badass. Here are some examples of what I mean here.

This is what I DON'T want my suit to look like...
Example 1 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/sunspotprod/HEV/GordonFreeman_4.jpg)
Example 2 (http://www.destructoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/gordon%20freeman%20ducttape.jpg)
Example 3 (http://www.fileplanet.com/fileblog/images/winner1.jpg)
Example 4 (http://i24.tinypic.com/iemd6d.jpg)

This IS how good I want my suit to look...
Example 1 (http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9325/1192375080725jx0.jpg)
Example 2 (http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2007/october/hl_2e2.jpg)
Example 3 (http://seb.vince.free.fr/half-life2/wallpapers/wallpaper_half-life_2_04_1024.jpg)

The reason I have come to this site is because you people are the best of the best as far as cosplaying is concerned. And so I come to seek your advice and wisdom in how to go about this. I trust you people, and look forward to your aid.

And for those who are wondering, I'm hoping to have this finished by Holloween of 2010.:eek:

Chergnomebyl
11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Even though you don't want cardboard, you could use it as a base and cover it with resin, Plexiglas, or bondo so it's hard and doesn't show any cardboard at all.

4ng31
11-23-2009, 10:33 PM
but I DO NOT want CARDBOARD, PAPER, PLASTIC or any other cheap ass material in this suit.

lol nublet

fiercedeity2
11-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Even though you don't want cardboard, you could use it as a base and cover it with resin, Plexiglas, or bondo so it's hard and doesn't show any cardboard at all.

Ok, but would it look as good as the given pictures and last me for many years to come, plus survive if it got into water? If so I'm down with that.

lol nublet

I can't help that I want a suit without cheap materials in it. I like quality and I go for quality.

4ng31
11-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I can't help that I want a suit without cheap materials in it. I like quality and I go for quality.

Pro-Tip : That "cheap-ass" fiberglass and plastic you mentioned...they aren't cheap. In fact, they are actually what the best armor sets are made of.

Perhaps you should do some more research before you go and say stupid things like you did.

O, and just because...

Made from a paper base - http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2053671/
Made from a paper base - http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1331750/
Made from a cardboard base - http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1837402/

fiercedeity2
11-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Pro-Tip : That "cheap-ass" fiberglass and plastic you mentioned...they aren't cheap. In fact, they are actually what the best armor sets are made of.

Perhaps you should do some more research before you go and say stupid things like you did.

Where in my sentence does it mention fiberglass? I prefer fiberglass over anything. THAT's why it's not mentioned in the list of cheap stuff.

Perhaps you should read before you go and say stupid things like you did.

Sonified
11-23-2009, 11:17 PM

He obviously wants it made out of carbon fiber, tears and diamonds.

LilMeesh
11-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Why don't you make the costume out of diamonds and gold? That sounds expensive and super pro.

In all seriousness. There are many costumes that you have view to be made out of bad materials, but look incredible and have decent contruction. A little research goes a long way. And just because of you have costly materials does not equal A+ cosplay.

Sonified
11-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Where in my sentence does it mention fiberglass? I prefer fiberglass over anything. THAT's why it's not mentioned in the list of cheap stuff.

Lol, you think you can mold fiberglass without a base. TEEHEE.

Guess what you use as a base.

Oh..

wait a minute...

yea, that's right.

Cardboard.

DOOP DOOP

4ng31
11-23-2009, 11:21 PM

lol...have fun with your project mate...

(also...fiberglass mixed with resin is "glass-reinforced plastic"...just fyi)

fiercedeity2
11-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Lol, you think you can mold fiberglass without a base. TEEHEE.

Guess what you use as a base.

Oh..

wait a minute...

yea, that's right.

Cardboard.

DOOP DOOP

Will the cardboard be there in the end product or gone?

bishop27
11-23-2009, 11:22 PM
i'm all for great quality. i think u should go for carbon fibre actually. it's not done too often but will produce incredible results. it'll also be super light so u'll be able to move around like the real thing and it comes in flexible sheets so u can make a mold (out of some sort of metal or steel) then just lay the carbon fibre over it. u'll have to find a place to heat and compress the carbon fibre (shouldn't be too tough) but once u do all they'll have to do is toss the armor into their heat/compression chamber and u just go and pick up the armor the next day. then u just use the right type of paint that'll stick to carbon fibre and give it that nice shine and there u go!

4ng31
11-23-2009, 11:23 PM

You know that research thing we were talking about? Yeah...

Also, you wanna be a pro?

1) Do a body-cast.
2) Buy clay, lots of it.
3) Begin sculpting
4) Mold
5) Cast with resin or, GASP, plastic.
6) ???
7) Profit!!!

Sonified
11-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Go look at 4ng31's CQB gallery and tell me if you can tell there's cardboard there.

Cause it was used as a base in everything and he didn't remove any of it.

Don't knock on cardboard without knowing its purpose. Most people use either cardboard/chipboard/cardstock as a base for armor and then coat it with the "cheap stuff" aka fiberglass and resin which is, for the most part, a thermoplastic.

Miyabi-
11-23-2009, 11:29 PM

Think of cardboard as like the bones of what you're making. It's there as a base for whatever you cover it with.
Also, there are tons of different kinds of cardboard...not just the kind that boxes are made out of.

fiercedeity2
11-23-2009, 11:35 PM

1) Do a body-cast.
2) Buy clay, lots of it.
3) Begin sculpting
4) Mold
6) ???
7) Profit!!!

Why do you think I'm here? I've spent a week studying foam carving to build a base for fiberglass molding. Believe me I have been doing research. And I have learned more about foam then any one man should in a lifetime. It's not like I'm insulting those who use cardboard, but cardboard breaks down very easily and can get wet and floppy. Plus your limited with edges and you can't have a perfect round shape if needed. It's a flaw in my opinion and I'd like to avoid it if possible.

I like the sculpting idea, that actually sounds applicable. Clay is pretty versatile and can make some awesome shapes. Thanks.

fiercedeity2
11-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Go look at 4ng31's CQB gallery and tell me if you can tell there's cardboard there.

Cause it was used as a base in everything and he didn't remove any of it.

Don't knock on cardboard without knowing its purpose. Most people use either cardboard/chipboard/cardstock as a base for armor and then coat it with the "cheap stuff" aka fiberglass and resin which is, for the most part, a thermoplastic.

ADFGHJKL!!!! I LIKE FIBER GLASS!!!!! Seriously, I've mentioned already that fiber glass is an awesome material... It's light weight, strong, stands the test of time, and can even take a knife. Cardboard can't survive in water..... Fiber glass can.

Sonified
11-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Why do you think I'm here? I've spent a week studying foam carving to build a base for fiberglass molding. Believe me I have been doing research. And I have learned more about foam then any one man should in a lifetime. It's not like I'm insulting those who use cardboard, but cardboard breaks down very easily and can get wet and floppy. Plus your limited with edges and you can't have a perfect round shape if needed. It's a flaw in my opinion and I'd like to avoid it if possible.

LOL

LOLOLOLOL

FOAM + FIBERGLASS = INSTANTLULZ

4ng31
11-23-2009, 11:47 PM
...and you can't have a perfect round shape if needed...

Really?

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1975276/

Sonified
11-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Really?

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1975276/

Made with cardboard!

fiercedeity2
11-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Made with cardboard!

Why do you all avoid the fact that it can't survive in water? I want this thing to survive in water if it gets wet. If you can go plunge your costume into water and it survives then by all means I'll go and use cardboard.

4ng31
11-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Why do you all avoid the fact that it can't survive in water? I want this thing to survive in water if it gets wet. If you can go plunge your costume into water and it survives then by all means I'll go and use cardboard.

You want a video or step by step pictures? Hell, I'll take a shower with it if you want...XDDD

fiercedeity2
11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
You want a video or step by step pictures? Hell, I'll take a shower with it if you want...XDDD

Ok then, so it can take water. But if I were to fall, or I was punched, or even stabbed in the back... Could it take it?

LilMeesh
11-23-2009, 11:56 PM

Do you plan on going swimming in this costume? If not, it really shouldn't matter if it is waterproof. Fiberglass will block the terrible water droplets from harming the weak and vunerable cardboard.

4ng31
11-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Ok then, so it can take water. But if I were to fall, or I was punched, or even stabbed in the back... Could it take it?

...you do understand that you are making props right?

Sonified
11-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Why the hell are you going to plunge into water with a costume for?

Also, the cardboard will be super reinforced with the fiberglass, its not gonna be "wet and floppy". And for someone with so much research on foam, you should know that you can't carve out foam and put fiberglass on it cause it won't even survive the chemical reaction and that will truly turn into a "wet and floppy" mess. Fiberglass resin will melt foam. But you knew that, didn't you?

You're trolling now at this point, you have to be. The only thing that might possibly stop weapon damage might be kevlar.

If that's what you're looking for, you're on your own.

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 12:00 AM
...you do understand that you are making props right?

Hell no, I intend on this being a very tough suit. I want it to be able to take a baseball bat to the chest and only walk away with a minor dent or scratch. I want this thing for memories for many years to come. I want to build something that not only looks real but feels and acts real.

Sonified
11-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Hell no, I intend on this being a very tough suit. I want it to be able to take a baseball bat to the chest and only walk away with a minor dent or scratch. I want this thing for memories for many years to come. I want to build something that not only looks real but feels and acts real.

Kevlar then. Have fun being an IRL Gordan Freeman, see how far that gets you. Thanks for stopping by.

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Also, the cardboard will be super reinforced with the fiberglass, its not gonna be "wet and floppy". And for someone with so much research on foam, you should know that you can't carve out foam and put fiberglass on it cause it won't even survive the chemical reaction and that will truly turn into a "wet and floppy" mess. Fiberglass resin will melt foam. But you knew that, didn't you?

Yes I did, and that's why you coat it before you apply the fiber glass. You have to apply PBA followed by epoxy.

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 12:12 AM

You're trolling now at this point, you have to be. The only thing that might possibly stop weapon damage might be kevlar.

If that's what you're looking for, you're on your own.

Look when I came to this forum I stated that I wanted a 100% badass suit. I didn't intend on wearing it a couple of times for giggles and then putting it away. If I just made it for show then it would be different, but I want to put blood and sweat into building this thing and make a work of art. I'm willing to spends months, if not years on this one project. Surely some of you understand that?

Sonified
11-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Look when I came to this forum I stated that I wanted a 100% badass suit. I didn't intend on wearing it a couple of times for giggles and then putting it away. If I just made it for show then it would be different, but I want to put blood and sweat into building this thing and make a work of art. I'm willing to spends months, if not years on this one project. Surely some of you understand that?

I already told you, kevlar.

That's the only thing that'll deal with weapon damage. Why the hell you're going to be taking weapon damage isn't my problem though, so lots of luck there, m8.

4ng31
11-24-2009, 12:18 AM

Listen, if you want good, serious advice on how to build something like that, get the hell out of this forum now...you're not going to get advice like that here.

Check out the RPF (The Replica Prop Forum) for starters...those guys are probably the best there is in this hobby.

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
I already told you, kevlar.

That's the only thing that'll deal with weapon damage. Why the hell you're going to be taking weapon damage isn't my problem though, so lots of luck there, m8.

That's perfect! Great, that'll take care of the cloth parts. Now what should I use for the armor pieces? I can't use metal since melting and casting is out of the question. But someone earlier did mention carbon fiber. But I need to get the shape of the hard parts first. What can I use to get the shapes? Should I carve clay and build a mold? Or is there another way?

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Listen, if you want good, serious advice on how to build something like that, get the hell out of this forum now...you're not going to get advice like that here.

Check out the RPF (The Replica Prop Forum) for starters...those guys are probably the best there is in this hobby.

Yes! Thank you so much! I'll check that asap.

And sorry for getting agro, I just get pissed when people call me a nublet. I go on the defensive.

Chergnomebyl
11-24-2009, 12:37 AM

You don't have to be an ass to people who are helping you FYIIIIIIIII.

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 12:44 AM
You don't have to be an ass to people who are helping you FYIIIIIIIII.

That wasn't to you man, you were actually quite civil and didn't down talk me the whole time like the other guys. Besides, I was requoting what someone said to me. You're cool in my book.

Chergnomebyl
11-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Okay...well lose SOME of the attitude in the near future : P

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Okay...well lose SOME of the attitude in the near future : P

Sorry, I grew up with people always down talking me so I never take it well. Even out of jest, I always go on the defensive. But I'll try and keep my cool. :angel2:

bishop27
11-24-2009, 01:32 AM
actually, i think u'd do well to use kevlar and there's nothing wrong with going the carbon fiber route to keep it light. i know u mentioned something about not using metal but unfortunately u will need metal to mold the carbon fiber against. tho i don't think it's too hard to create a clay mold and take it to a metal works facility to get it coated in steel. make sure it's a tough steel cause when the carbon fiber is set, it's put in a chamber where they heat it to really high temperatures at really high pressure. how about something like a kevlar jumps suit, that way u don't have to worry about attaching the kevlar to the carbon fiber.. that could be tough! haha.. maybe try researching the carbon fiber idea a bit more, see what the exact specifications the metal for the mold needs to be. it'd be a shame to do all that work laying the carbon fiber sheets just to have the metal mold collapse in during the heating and compression process!

i hope this helps at least a little, i'm really excited to see how this comes out. if u do end up using carbon fiber and kevlar, it's gonna be really really epic!

Leon_Redfield
11-24-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't know costumes that are video game replicas are going to be used in Iraq.

Have fun spending $5,000 on a costume.

Let me reiterate that.

Costume.

Chergnomebyl
11-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Sorry, I grew up with people always down talking me so I never take it well. Even out of jest, I always go on the defensive. But I'll try and keep my cool. :angel2:

Well do so and the Q about would the bondo look as good as the one you want. YES, if you sand it well and coat it with the right stuff and color with the right stuff :]

Sonified
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't know costumes that are video game replicas are going to be used in Iraq.

Let me reiterate that.

Costume.

5,000 dollars won't come near the price that suit will cost. I'd go double that and then some.

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 11:02 AM

Let me reiterate that.

Costume.

See, it's comments like this that piss me off.

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Well do so and the Q about would the bondo look as good as the one you want. YES, if you sand it well and coat it with the right stuff and color with the right stuff :]

K, sounds good. I could always go that route if it becomes necessary. Thanks for advice, I appreciate it. :]

bishop27
11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
check out this website for both carbon fiber and kevlar. u would probably need what, 2-3 yards of each? doesn't seem like it would get too expensive. definitely not $5000, more like a few hundred $$.

http://www.uscomposites.com/shortroll.html

lunaladyoflight
11-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I just wanted to say, I know you're new but there's an edit button and you can multi-quote. That way you won't have five posts in a row that are all you. Welcome and happy costuming. We do this for fun. :)

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 01:55 PM
check out this website for both carbon fiber and kevlar. u would probably need what, 2-3 yards of each? doesn't seem like it would get too expensive. definitely not $5000, more like a few hundred $$.

http://www.uscomposites.com/shortroll.html

You are the best man. Thank you so much. I'm combining your ideas with the guys over at 405th and so far we're putting together some real cool stuff. Thanks again mate.

I just wanted to say, I know you're new but there's an edit button and you can multi-quote. That way you won't have five posts in a row that are all you. Welcome and happy costuming. We do this for fun. :)

Yeah, I just get a little caught up in the moment. Thanks! :]

dagmarus
11-24-2009, 03:55 PM
See, it's comments like this that piss me off. Comments like that are RATIONAL. There's absolutely NO need for your costume to be able to take a knife hit or get submerged or any of the ridiculous stuff you want. You can use stronger materials that'll last you a long time and survive the wear and tear of years of use. You're being unrealistic, and should realize that. If you don't like being called a noob then don't act like one.

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Comments like that are RATIONAL. There's absolutely NO need for your costume to be able to take a knife hit or get submerged or any of the ridiculous stuff you want. You can use stronger materials that'll last you a long time and survive the wear and tear of years of use. You're being unrealistic, and should realize that. If you don't like being called a noob then don't act like one.

Hey, the people over at RPF arn't giving me shit about anything. They're listening to my ideas and are actually working with me instead of arguing like everyone on this forum. I do plan on using grade A materials to have something that is 100% authentic in appearance and texture. I'm not being unrealistic, I simply have a higher standard that I want to keep here. Nobody on the other forum has called me a noob once, they can actually have a conversation without being condescending towards other people.

bishop27
11-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey, the people over at RPF arn't giving me shit about anything. They're listening to my ideas and are actually working with me instead of arguing like everyone on this forum. I do plan on using grade A materials to have something that is 100% authentic in appearance and texture. I'm not being unrealistic, I simply have a higher standard that I want to keep here. Nobody on the other forum has called me a noob once, they can actually have a conversation without being condescending towards other people.

honestly man, it may just be a better idea to talk to them (RPF) only. it sounds like u really haven't gotten anything constructive here and unfortunately i can't be of any more help to u since i've never made an HEV suit. imo, if ur gonna do it, u might as well go all out cause even tho it may cost just a bit more, those little details are really gonna add up in the end. i really hope one day i see a carbon fiber/kevlar HEV suit walking around at a con or something. anyway, i say save urself the trouble these "noobs" give u and have a "rational" conversation with the pros over at RPF. good luck!

fiercedeity2
11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
honestly man, it may just be a better idea to talk to them (RPF) only. it sounds like u really haven't gotten anything constructive here and unfortunately i can't be of any more help to u since i've never made an HEV suit. imo, if ur gonna do it, u might as well go all out cause even tho it may cost just a bit more, those little details are really gonna add up in the end. i really hope one day i see a carbon fiber/kevlar HEV suit walking around at a con or something. anyway, i say save urself the trouble these "noobs" give u and have a "rational" conversation with the pros over at RPF. good luck!

Thanks man, and I appreciate the info you gave me on Carbon fiber. It's actually some real good help you've given me. Good day mate!

evaunit01berser
11-24-2009, 11:48 PM
For a mere 300 dollars, I can make this suit, bullet proof,water proof, stab proof, kibble proof, claw proof and flying bat proof with a new ceramic technique i learned using the oven in my back yard. kittens will run from you when they see you walk around the corner. just send half of it to my paypal address as a non refundable deposit and i will get started

i wouldn't listen to bishop, they tried making a memory foam suit that melted in water

Chergnomebyl
11-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I still would suggest going with resin/fiberglass.
And..wouldn't pay $300 for an oven outfit, and spend $50 with
fiberglass and such. It won't be bullet proof and such but it will
still look good and won't break as easily as you think.

cobalt lucario
11-26-2009, 07:30 PM

1) Do a body-cast.
2) Buy clay, lots of it.
3) Begin sculpting
4) Mold
6) ???
7) Profit!!!
I may have another solution besides doing the full body cast. You'd still have to put resin and whatnot over it, but...

a little something I found in the process of wanting to know how to make a feasible cardboard crowbar (http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12691&st=160&p=314088&#entry314088)

That should do well for a base.

You will have to search through that thread, but you'll definitely find some great HEV suit parts there.

Yeah, I'm wanting to make an HEV suit as well... but I'm more "down to earth", and more feasible.

I'd like some help with my scenario if possible.

~CL~

evaunit01berser
12-01-2009, 12:45 AM
I still would suggest going with resin/fiberglass.
And..wouldn't pay $300 for an oven outfit, and spend $50 with
fiberglass and such. It won't be bullet proof and such but it will
still look good and won't break as easily as you think.

huggin.........WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH.
:)

Chergnomebyl
12-01-2009, 12:47 AM
huggin.........WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH.
:)

I believe it's huggins ; D!

wickedknightx
10-31-2010, 09:49 AM
did this costume ever get made?

Mr E
07-03-2012, 11:59 PM
did this costume ever get made?

I want to know too. I want to check out this kick ass waterproof, weaponproof, kevlar and fiberglass based costume.