PDA

View Full Version : Need help on making a giant caterpillar

Hikikomori
11-23-2009, 06:38 PM
So I'm doing a Caterpillar Kyoya from the Haruhi in Wonderland episode of Ouran Host Club, but I don't really know where to start. Anyone have any tips on how where to start/what materials to use/etc.? I would also like any advice on how to keep my mobility, seeing as how he doesn't really have legs! Thanks.

Reference Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/#/photo.php?pid=3021147&id=739067822

Xaevier
11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Mobility would be simple, you basically just make the costume be like a ballroom gown in that it covers all the way down to your feet but it has a hole where you walk/you're feet are and thats the point where the costume continues backwards if you want it to trail behind you.

How big you made the hole would be your own choice; as for materials I would just lookup some basic mascot costume tutorials since they would have the best suggestions since he looks somewhat like cloth/mascot like.

supergeekgirl
11-27-2009, 04:09 PM
1.) That's totally awesome! I did a Wonderland Kyouya a week ago for my husband but couldn't bring myself to turn him into a caterpillar. I designed a Queen of Hearts costume instead (that everyone seemed to think was from the manga).

2.) I'm sure there is an online tutorial for this, but I couldn't say where. You could honestly do this with quilting cotton and make it pretty good. As for the legs, you will want to make the body squishy with leg holes that have an inset piece of fabric gathered upward to elastic that fits around your calves. The best example of this I can give you is a stuffed Halloween costume you might get at a costume shop (think a stuffed sumo suit). Look at how the leg holes are done.

Definitely make it like a tube that is stuffed and lined with a tube down the middle for your body. Think of pumpkin suits but thinner and longer.