PDA

View Full Version : X-Day

Velvy
08-23-2003, 06:19 PM
.....Wow.

Has anyone read this? It's fantastic. *_*

Quick summary: Rika meets 3 classmates in a chatroom, who hate school as much as she does. They hatch a plan to blow it up when no one is present.

It's replaced Chobits as being my #1 favorite manga. Of course I'm being a bit bias since I can relate to it on a personal level (Polaris -- her life is like an exact replica of my high school days -- needless to say, she's quickly become my favorite character ever). Plus it has all the little bonuses I like in manga: Closer-than-close student-teacher relationships (don't ask, I just love it), EGL ( :heart: ), and all this secretive scheming to blow up the school makes me wonder if they actually do blow up the school in the end.

Ohh but I love it XD. I finished it last night and it had me awake most of the night, thinking about what's to come. If anyone is as in love with with X-Day as I am, we should collaborate for some X-Day cosplay. ^.^

baku_neko
08-23-2003, 07:30 PM
FINALLY! I thought I was gonna have to start this thread! ^_^

This manga is AWESOME! Great drama and angst with little humor here and there. I can't wait for vol. 2! And it's also a short series, so it won't dent my wallet too much. ^_^

Sutefeni
08-23-2003, 10:02 PM
How long is the series going to be?

Anywho...I thought it was awesome too! I mean it kept me in and made me want more..!! I felt like I could relate to Rika. But my favorite character in there is Jangalian or Mr. Katano...I find it interesting that he'd want to blow up the school. :p
That's a cool idea for cosplaying...
Must read more...! >_<
Manga are just getting more and more interesting aren't they?

baku_neko
08-23-2003, 10:27 PM
How long is the series going to be?

Just two books. ^_^

Sutefeni
08-23-2003, 10:42 PM
O_O Wow! Super coolness...

Hooray for frugality!! w00t!

DigitalShin
08-24-2003, 12:36 AM
I absolutely LOVE X-Day. ;_; Sad it's such a short series. I can't find many web page's (Even tried Polaris's Url). Any one know of a good X-Day site?

I've only done a wallpaper of Polaris (Nanaka).

RyuHayabusaDOA2
08-24-2003, 12:08 PM
I love it! I want to get the manga now. I read it at Border's and still I want to get it. Good Material for a screenplay to boot :D

Velvy
08-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Good Material for a screenplay to boot

I was thinking that too. ^_^ I'm taking a Cine class this semester. Our final project is to make a movie of our own. May use X-Day as the core concept for mine--fanfilm. ^.^

Someone should turn Polaris's URL into the actual site as seen in the manga. XD

jen_kat
08-24-2003, 06:23 PM
That would be cool to see an actual Polaris' Room.
I got vol. 1 on Friday, and I ended up rereading it again that night.

Wow. 2 volumes is short.. at least it'll only be a short wait until the second one comes out.

baku_neko
08-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Vol. 2 comes out in October. So the wait is a bit long, but not too much.

DigitalShin
08-24-2003, 06:38 PM
X-day would be an awesome short film. If some one does it, I so want to buy a copy! =)

RyuHayabusaDOA2
08-24-2003, 07:47 PM
I agree with you Velvy. It won't take long for someone to do a website just like Polaris lol. The Gothic Lolita girl is cute too. Yeah, it would make a wonderful short film lol

LittleArashi
08-25-2003, 08:33 AM
I love this manga! I looked at it at the bookstore about 5 times before I finally said to myslef 'JUST BUY IT!' Turns out to be totally worth it, I love it. Definitly a favorite now. I have read it over and over. Can't wait for the next instalment

I read that X-Day was only two volumes on some random site. Where did everyone else see that? I was looking for X-Day webpages and that when I found out it was two volumes. Not too many pages about it. TokyoPop website doesn't actually say how many volumes it is. And it doesn't say the 2nd book is the final one. Short series are good but I think that is cutting this one a little TOO short! Don't you think? I mean There is a lot more character development left. I am a bit disappointed. I really wanted to see some of these relationships build.

Of course no matter what I am still gonna love it! haha ^^

If you make a film about it, put it online! I'd DL it for sure!

Velvy
08-25-2003, 04:31 PM
I agree. 2 volumes is insanely short, especially for a story such as this that centers around characterization more than plot.

Polaris :heart: Jangalian

Alexeil
08-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Ah, I adore this manga too! Can't believe it's only 2 vols. After reading the first one I have no clue how it'll be able to wrap up in just one more. It's so nice to see a character development central story. And the characters are very original for manga, I think, too.

LittleArashi
08-26-2003, 11:19 AM
We haven't even really found out what is going on in Mr. Money...although we've seen a glimpse, I'm sure we can figure...but and Polaris too. I can't image it finishing in two volumes.

And does anyone hate 11's ex-boyfriend as much as I do >.<

I think I am gonna do scans fromt he first volume and I'm hoping to find the Japanese books this weekend =D BAAF HERE I COME!

lainchan
08-26-2003, 12:01 PM
I DO! He's such an ass! I like how Rika says that things in life just don't disappear they get taken from you. (since it's fitting of her situation.) I fee so bad for the teacher, he's being stalked...I can't believe the next one comes out in oct! >_< I read X-day four times just so I could fake myself out...but...I...Can't! There really is only 2 books? O_O I don't want to buy any more manga until I get X-day.

Sutefeni
08-26-2003, 12:27 PM
yah, I hate 11's boyfriend too...
I also find that Kako girl really irritating for some reason. I just want to shoot her.
I agree with Lain-chan...I don't want it to end with only two books...! There's just no way...it should be illegal!! *bawls and runs around like crazy..*

vyrax778
08-26-2003, 01:36 PM
sounds Like a good read well more Manga to get after I finish getting Mars and Love hina. Told my self I would finish off a couple series before I start a new one.

LittleArashi
08-27-2003, 03:32 PM
I love that quote! =D It was just perfect timing. And on my gosh when MR Money leaned his arm on the door next to her!!! *heat flashes!* I love him soo much ^^ I want his shirt with the stars!

Yeah, I mean think about this...Kako is going out with Rika's ex. Buy Rika says she didn't know...but Rika and him were going out for like 3 years! HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW!? >.<

And like I said, where did everyone else see that it was only 2 books. I haven't read anything offical. I am still hoping.

baku_neko
08-27-2003, 05:14 PM
And like I said, where did everyone else see that it was only 2 books. I haven't read anything offical. I am still hoping.

http://www.tokyopop.com

LittleArashi
08-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Tokyo Pop does not say it is the final volume. In fact, the description makes it cound like just another chapter.

baku_neko
08-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Hmm....has anyone seen the Japanese version of this? Maybe that will answer some of the questions...it's called 'Kanojo-tachi no X day' in Japan.

EDIT: Well, I did a little Googling (hehe, I made a new word), and almost all the sites I've been to say there are only two books people. This series was made back in 2002, so if there were more, they haven't been made yet.

lainchan
08-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Wah I hope it's open ended because they're not going to finish! O_O I'd die. I agree with Little Arashi, If they wee going out for so long and Rika was so important to the team wouldn't they know about her boyfriend. Even if she was a little distant from him people should have known if the relationship was THAT long.

RyuHayabusaDOA2
08-28-2003, 12:55 AM
well, there is another suggestion:
contact TokyoPop to contact the artist who made the Manga to produce some more LOL

Babbit_Chan
08-28-2003, 01:35 AM
How in God's name did I miss this thread?!...

Anyway, I absolutely love this manga. When I first read the synopsis off TokyoPop I thought it was going to be all fun and games but it was so much more than I expected. I honestly hope it doesn't end with only two volumes. There's too much glory to be had here XD

I don't think I have a favorite character - they're all well-written characters with awesome qualities so I couldn't really pick just one. My favorite quote, though, would have to be Jangalian's: "I only like cute things! Most people aren't very cute, so I don't like them. Animals are much cuter! (My students aren't cute either so I don't like them!)"

As for Nanaka's boyfriend, I think he's kind of a jerk o_O If things were bad for a year, why did he span it out to three for God's sake -_-;; And then he breaks up with her because she's not the whiney type? PLEASE! How shallow is that?! That's how he ends up with a girl like Kako ~_~ *has issues with this couple*

LittleArashi
08-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Open ended sounds good to me. There have been some others that I wish were open ended...then again there are ones that have been left open that I wanted an ending >.< But geez I wanted to see them blow up the school!! eheheh! I am fascinated what can I say.

Her boyfriend! GAH! He is....a crap head! He soo gets under my skin -_- I really don't want her to steal him back either but I can understand. She is trying to save some scrap of her life! Although when you look at everyone else's problems geez o.o
Oh brilliant idea! Lets harass thec reator!! =D We want more damnit! Well if there isn't maybe we should start a fanfiction! lol Then we can send it to her!

RyuHayabusaDOA2
08-28-2003, 01:26 PM
LittleArashi: I'm down with the fanfiction idea LOL

jen_kat
08-28-2003, 06:20 PM
It's funny, ne?

I searched the ISBN number for Kanojo-tachi no X-Day onamazon.co.jp (http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4253192653/qid=1062111608/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_0_9/249-3496929-7296323) , and it only turned out that they have volume one.

On Mizushiro Setona's website (http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/setona/index2.html), it says that the manga is only 2 volumes long.

And on another website (http://www.geocities.com/chonmageman/pink/jan03.html), it said that volume 2 came was released on January 23, 2003. The first volume was published in 10/2002, as stated by amazon.co.jp.

Here (http://www.s-cafe.org/xday.html) is another site that has a cover picture of volume one in Japanese though it is a little hard to see all the details. If you can't see it clearly, I found another picture (slightly larger) that might easier to view.

DigitalShin
08-28-2003, 08:40 PM
jen_kat - Whoa, I couldn't even find the artist's page! Great work!

jen_kat
08-29-2003, 01:13 AM
Ah, I found the page through this site that I go to (which is rather quite helpful) called Ultimate Manga Guide. I don't have the URL right now, but a quick search on Google.com always brings it up.

Mizushiro-san's artwork is soo beautiful. And to think that the first time I picked it up and flipped through it, I thought the artwork was a little funky... ^^;;

Usagi Mylene
08-29-2003, 01:33 AM
There's a thread!!!! Yeah!!! I picked up the manga today and oh my god!!! I love it!!! I'm sad it's only 2 vols. long.

I so want to cosplay Rika. Her qoute about things not disappering, they are taken... that really hit home. Oh and Polaris in her Lolita outfit.... KAWAII. I wish I could make something like that!!!

I'm not the only who hates Rika's man? How cold could he be? He got together with her friend. Argh!!

If you end up doing a fanfilm, I would so love to have a copy. Why don't you get some cosplayers to be in it? I think you can round up for people and a hamster!!! ^.^

Velvy
08-29-2003, 03:06 AM
Agh, I was hoping to be able to make a film on X-Day for my Cine class, but it turns out the final film can be no longer than 5 minutes in length. O_o;; Funky or not?

Usagi Mylene: That's a great idea!! If any of you are going to Otakon or Anime Expo, lemme know! I'll bring my video camera. XD One of my best friends is a film editor (he's only going to Anime Expo). X-Day filming at AX or Otakon? Anyone? XDDD I'm totally interested in doing this. ^.^ I could use the footage in my next Cine class where the final film can be anywhere from 10 min to 30 min in length.

jen_kat
08-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Velvy: I plan on going to both Otakon and Anime Expo.. ^o^

I'd like to help.. doing what, I don't know.. ^^;;

RyuHayabusaDOA2
08-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Velvy: I plan on going to AX next year. If you haven't found a screenwriter, then maybe I can be of service. This would rock if it gets actually filmed. :D

Usagi Mylene
08-29-2003, 10:27 PM
This gives even more of a reason to go to AX. =)

Instead of blowing up a school how about we blow up a con? We are tired of rabid fanboys/girls!!!

Stupid I know.....

lainchan
08-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Hee, hee that's an interesting twist of the plot! I would love to have a Polaris costume too! She's so adorable. I want to force my friend's little brother to go as the hamster. ^__^

Velvy
08-30-2003, 08:16 PM
LOL, I think that'd be hilarious Usagi Mylene.

RyuHayabusaDOA2
08-31-2003, 03:07 AM
hmm..it could also work as a skit for the masquerade...

Sweet~Pea
09-04-2003, 07:19 PM
I love this Manga. OMG, I picked it up on friday after reading this thread a bit and this is one of my fave mangas now. The Art is amazing, characters are great, everything is awesome :japan: I'm definatly going to do a few polaris cosplays, yay.
Well that's my two cents on this wicked manga!
-Christa
PS. I'll be at Otakon if you wanted help :wave:

RyuHayabusaDOA2
09-05-2003, 03:09 PM
I finally bought it today and I can't wait to read it(again). It is such a good book and is worth the purchase :D

RyuHayabusaDOA2
09-28-2003, 12:18 AM
well, I bought volume2 today and I must say, that the story is good, but i'm not giving away any spoilers. I bought it at Kinokuniya bookstore in SF today

baku_neko
09-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I saw vol. 2 in a comic book shop today. TP is putting alot of their October titles out early. Or stores are putting them out early. Probably the later... ^_~

k.urs
09-29-2003, 06:29 PM
it's only two volumes long...!? whaa!? X_X that's not cool, I hope it ends extremly well. (really. it better end so well. ~_~; )
yeah, I love this manga so far, very real characters, insanely gorgous art. there are a few things that bug me but I'm hoping it will be cleard in vol. two, which I'm dying to read. it's already out? XO must..buy... (*_*
oo, an X-day film~! XD
mmm, my friends are planning on doing an X-day cosplay group(Mr. Money, Polaris and 11, -if- we can find the plaid *_*; ) for Otakon so~ :jjacks:

http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/setona/images/gallery.pac/sky.jpg
OMG XO

RyuHayabusaDOA2
09-30-2003, 12:50 AM
it's only two volumes long...!? whaa!? X_X that's not cool, I hope it ends extremly well. (really. it better end so well. ~_~; )
yeah, I love this manga so far, very real characters, insanely gorgous art. there are a few things that bug me but I'm hoping it will be cleard in vol. two, which I'm dying to read. it's already out? XO must..buy... (*_*
oo, an X-day film~! XD
mmm, my friends are planning on doing an X-day cosplay group(Mr. Money, Polaris and 11, -if- we can find the plaid *_*; ) for Otakon so~ :jjacks:

http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/setona/images/gallery.pac/sky.jpg
OMG XO

if one of your friends does Polaris in her EGL outfitl, please take pics! :D

k.urs
09-30-2003, 11:16 AM
if one of your friends does Polaris in her EGL outfitl, please take pics! :D

I most certainly will! X3 it's actually going to be my sis ^_^ and we've got an actual BOY for Mr. Money, too!! XDv

RyuHayabusaDOA2
09-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Hey That's cool. Dang it, I wish i could do a cosplay from X-Day...hehehe. I guess I could be Jangalian..heh

k.urs
09-30-2003, 04:49 PM
Hey That's cool. Dang it, I wish i could do a cosplay from X-Day...hehehe. I guess I could be Jangalian..heh

\(*O*\ Jangalian!!!! :heart:

Velvy
10-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Is anyone here going to Anime Expo? (meh, I'm not completely sure if Im going to Otakon, since I'm allowed one out-of-state convention, but that out-of-state convention will probably be AWA ^_^; )

I will be going and I will be cosplaying as Rika from X-Day. My friend, who is coming to AX with me will be cosplaying Polaris (it's easier, since she looks more like Polaris and I look more like Rika). But it couldn't hurt to have Jangalian, Mr.Money, more Rikas, and more Polarises there too. ^_^ After all, not everyone's familiar with X-Day so we should get the manga out there. The more the better!

RyuHayabusaDOA2
10-01-2003, 02:23 PM
I agree with you there Velvy. I guess I can cosplay jangalian. hehe...and did you pick up volume of the manga, Velvy? what you think of it?

Velvy
10-01-2003, 04:23 PM
No :( I'm slacking. I will get it either Friday or Thursday (the wait is unbearable--the sooner the better for me!).

Usagi Mylene
10-02-2003, 12:04 AM
I'm aiming for AX and I'm hoping to do either Rika or Polaris. Not sure which one yet!

^.^

I still need book 2!

k.urs
10-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Please get pictures everyone! \^o^ (not going to AX ;_;)

Babbit_Chan
10-02-2003, 04:32 PM
*oogle* X-day cosplay! I should stalk you all XD I *still* haven't picked up the second volume (and is therefore suffering from withdrawl and reading the first multiple times).

RyuHayabusaDOA2
10-02-2003, 05:18 PM
well, it has come out now, so you guys can get it at Borders, Waldenbooks or Kinokuniya(for us that live in the SF bay area) XD.

Velvy
10-02-2003, 05:57 PM
I got it! Read it. Now it makes sense why it was only 2 books long. I for one, liked the way it ended very much, but I sometiimes half-wonder what it would be like if the series had continued. Anyways, I'm satisfied. X-Day was a wonderful, albeit short (but that's understandable), series. Everyone should read it. ^_^

RyuHayabusaDOA2
10-03-2003, 12:21 AM
I'm glad that you liked it Velvy. Yeah, that's what I thought too when I read it, if the series was to be continued. I was satisfied with the ending, but the accompaning manga wasn't my cup of tea.

k.urs
10-03-2003, 11:42 AM
got vol 2 yesterday. \(@w@ I have mixed feelings about it but all in all I think it ended very well, too. ^^
and I'm with RyuHayabusaDOA2, the accompaning story totally KILLED the mood.. -_-*

RyuHayabusaDOA2
10-03-2003, 01:05 PM
*nods* Is like I would've rather seen an epilogue of sorts to the main characters. I think the accompaning story should not been there. It did totally kill the mood

tristasusen
10-05-2003, 12:23 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, ITS ONLY 2 VOLUMES LONG :blubber: i hope the ending is good, im gonna get the second volume really soon

Velvy
10-18-2003, 02:05 AM
Just posting to be a show-off. XD *points to sig and avatar* Polaris is the greatest, and Polaris + Jangalian are my favorite couple ever. ^_^

Shinotenshi
10-21-2003, 08:56 PM
My friends and I just read volume 2 today!

Firstly, it's sad that the series is only two volumes. I want to see more of it! WAhhhhhh!

Secondly, can anyone explain to me Mr. Money's name? My friends and I couldn't understand what they spoke of when he was telling where his name came from!

Thanks!

zuki
11-14-2003, 03:14 PM
OMG~! I finally found something decent on X-Day ^o^

i thought that accompanying story was depressing and angsty...it makes me *angst* whenever somebody says "cow".

i was reading the other pages of this thread and i saw how you were looking for a site and mentioned someone probably has made one like Polaris', well, after months of searching...http://www.geocities.com/polaris1427/main.html...tada!

^o^V

Velvy
11-14-2003, 04:56 PM
i was reading the other pages of this thread and i saw how you were looking for a site and mentioned someone probably has made one like Polaris', well, after months of searching...http://www.geocities.com/polaris1427/main.html...tada!

And then a choir of Angels sang "Halelujiah."

That is absolutely awesome! She even has the same image as Polaris's site! Thanks for posting it Zeki!

Can anyone help with those avatars? I really want to use them, but if I save them I have to save them as BMPs which eliminates having a transparent background. =(

zuki
11-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Can anyone help with those avatars? I really want to use them, but if I save them I have to save them as BMPs which eliminates having a transparent background. =(

umm, did you try right-clicking on them and then "Save Picture As..."? that SHOULD work...

Velvy
11-14-2003, 05:50 PM
EDIT: I got it to work. I had to manually make it transparent, but it looks supremely adorable now.

:heart: Polaris