PDA

View Full Version : cosplay / masq. related question ^_^;

Himemiya
10-09-2002, 09:31 AM
So its possible that I can go to otakon this year (!!!) And I have a good idea for a skit at the cosplay/masq. thingie. But I've heard people talk about pre-recording their dialouge and stuff.... O.o does everyone do this? would you just record the dialouge and lip-sync to a cd/tape playing in the background? I'm so confused ;_;

Ranma Saotome
10-09-2002, 12:00 PM
No, pre-recording is crap that's done at AX because they're too cheap to rent microphones. :D

Rosiel
10-09-2002, 12:06 PM
Pre-recording IMO is better than live... why? Because in all instances that I have been in, mikes have been either failing or placed in such a way that even by speaking loudly no one could hear anything beyond the first few rows. So if you can't hold the mike right under your nose for the whole skit, it's not a very effective way to do it.

I think I'll be giving pre-recording a try next con I need dialogue in a skit... ^___^ plus, you get to dub the crossplayers who have girly voices with boy's voices! LOL

Chosuke
10-09-2002, 06:03 PM
How exactly would you go about recording it though? I was think of pre-recording for my next skit but.. Don't really know much about it.

Also,someone mentioned to me there may be problems because you can't wait until fans stop clapping and whooping to talk..e.e

Celine
10-09-2002, 06:13 PM
Yes, it is true that if you have a funny line, you have to leave enough time on your recording to allow for laughter, and there is nothing you can do about it if the laughter goes too long (or not long enough ^^). As for recording it, try to not use a standard tape player because those tend to pick up a lot of background fuzz. After you make the recording (digital recording would probably be better for editing purposes), you just practice with it, like a normal skit, to make sure that you can match the exact timing.

I completely agree with Rosiel that pre-recorded skits are usually better. I've been in enough audiences to know that being able to hear the performers is crucial and most of the time, you really cannot hear them. AX "requires" participants to pre-record their skits because the performance hall is HUGE and there would be no chance of anyone hearing the cosplayers without the recorded tapes. Passing around a microphone leads to unnecessary complications in a skit and they never work reliably.

Chosuke
10-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Ah..I see!
And how exactly would I digitally record? over a computer? x.x;

Celine
10-09-2002, 07:29 PM
I'd assume so. ^^ Just get a decent quality microphone and some editing software and you should be able to record it without a problem. Then you can always burn your sound files to a CD, which is easier to deal with than a tape, in my opinion.

Oshi
10-09-2002, 11:30 PM
Otakon/BCC has a REALLY nice quality soundstage. They have like, 6 mics placed overhead of the stage, so wherever you walk onstage, you can be heard.

Radical Urd
11-04-2002, 08:28 PM
If they do that, then how come they pre-record? From what I remeber pre-recordings suck. Cause you can hear the little clicks of when they are switching from person to person. But atleast you can hear them

die-sama
11-09-2002, 12:55 PM
If you have the right software to record from person to person it can't be heard..(the clicks)
Then again
otakon has nice microphones and if the audience does clap..you;ll have to talk over them since there is that 3 minute limit (which was rather strict this year O_o)
personally I think for a con Otakon's size..its best to have things pre-recorded unless everyone is ready to talk really really loudly/or yell (Since Otakon plays the tapes pretty loudly)

Doc Stampede
12-05-2002, 06:16 AM
There's pros and cons to both recording or going for the audio mix on stage. Here are my own opinions (and they are only my opinions... Have some salt. : )

Pre-Recorded audio :

- Advantage 1 - allows for more precise timing
- Advantage 2 - assured audibility (assuming the tech crew of any con is on the ball)
- Advantage 3 - Control over your mixing and effects (if you have someone who likes to play)

- Disadvantage 1 - You're commited to it - once its playing you HAVE to do things the way you planned. No flexability.
- Disadvantage 2 - You're totally dependant on that CD/Tape being played, if it isn't.. You're FUBAR.
- Disadvantage 3 - Different Challenges : You have to pre-practice your skit, learn your cues, and be able to lipsynch (or fake it all decently..)

--- On the flip Side, using just the stage mics that the con provides...

- Advantage 1 - You can improvise as necessary. This means you can play with the crowd, or modify on the fly to adjust for audience reaction.
- Advantage 2 - You get interaction - there's a certain satisfaction to simply performing on stage..
- Advantage 3 - Less tech requirements.. You don't need to do your audio before the con, you don't need to experiement, cus its all in your head.

- Disadvantage 1 - If the con's audio system isn't that good, or you haven't learned good stage projection, or both, you won't be heard.. This is by far the most dangerous. You can defeat this by learning how to PROJECT like crazy, and also learning to *test* the grounds and mics if you have the opportunity.

- Disadvantage 2 - Memorization and practice : for some people, performing on stage on the fly is not a strong suit. If you're afraid of forgetting lines, or getitng nervous, etc : then prerecorded audio is better..

- Disadvantage 3 - Having to work over the crowd : you need to be able to either ignore the crowd or learn how to settle them down or yell over them. In other words : its a live audience, if you're working on the fly, its a good thing to have a plan in mind if you need to stall, move forward etc..

-------

Anyway, after all my opinion spouting (can one tell I'm suffering from insomnia?) - we'll focus on Otakon. The company that Otakon hires to do the sound for our events has stated that the Otakon Masquerade is their most challenging project ever. They work *EVERY* year to try and improve the audio pickups. Last year we had microphones on stands, elevated, AND on the floors to pick up the audio as best we could.

This year they're talking about going even a step further, but I'm not at liberty to say what they're considering doing since its still being tossed around. Suffice it to say, that if you practice and learn to speak clearly and project, you should be picked up by the gazillion microphones that we lay down. ;)

Doc (Otakon Staff)