PDA

View Full Version : Any Megatokyo Cosplayers Out There?

Pages : [1] 2

Kaori-chan
08-24-2003, 04:48 PM
I haven't really seen all that many Megatokyo cosplayers around. I'm going to be doing a MT group cosplay fairly soon, and I was just wondering if anyone else has or will done a MT cosplay, or even knows what Megatokyo is...

KittyCanuck
08-24-2003, 05:05 PM
I'm sure many of us here read MegaTokyo (I do) but I've never cosplayed anyone from it.

allyunion
08-24-2003, 05:28 PM
I have seen many Junpei's, and maybe one Dom... but other than that, I haven't seen anyone else... The cons that Piro attends usually results in a larger crowd of MT cosplayers... or so, from his pictures he takes.

Kaori-chan
08-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Interesting....I wonder if I'll be the first person to attempt my character then... *grin*

vyrax778
08-24-2003, 11:37 PM
I want to do Piriko but my friends say they will kill me if I do so not yet.

Kaori-chan
08-25-2003, 05:48 PM
That's not cool....I wonder why they'll kill you?

RadicalDreamer
08-27-2003, 04:11 PM
I think I saw someone do an Ed, with bandages all over his face.

Kaori-chan
08-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Hehehe, I wonder if he could see all right.... I wonder if anyone would ever try walking around entirely wrapped up in packing tape....like that one SGD from like, Chapter 0. If they could do it and still be able to breathe that would be awesome... XD

ToshiyaMizukori
08-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Oh I'm currently working on Broken Miho ^^. I know someone has cosplayed as Seraphim, and also two girls that are in Cosplay.com (I don't remember their sn's) have done the poster girls of Megatokyo^^ inluding Miho & Pirogeoth (Is that how you spell it?). Who are you planning to do?^^

Kaori-chan
08-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Broken Miho? That's so cool! Be sure to post pics when you get it done..... I'm gonna be Ping (^.^)

ToshiyaMizukori
08-27-2003, 05:40 PM
*glomp* Ping-chan! Don't forget to post pictures up too!^^

Kaori-chan
08-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Hai! I amy take some in-progress shots of the earblades as well, just because. Photography is addictive... (¨.¨) If only I knew how to make things out of cast resin, or whatever that stuff is. Sounds kinda hard though...

ToshiyaMizukori
08-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Oh that would be neat^^ yes photograhpy is VERY addictive^^. Ohh what's cast resin? I've never heard of it o.o;... good luck on Ping!^^

Kaori-chan
08-27-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks! And maybe I said it wrong or something. Quite a few ppl I've seen have used it for props and such, whatever that stuff is..... (o.o)

ToshiyaMizukori
08-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Oh ^^; I see ^^ I probably don't know what it is though ^^;

Kaori-chan
08-27-2003, 06:00 PM
*Shrug* Oh well.....I only hope I can get started on my costume soon....certain unavoidable circumstances have prevented me from working on it (x.X)

vyrax778
08-27-2003, 08:11 PM
That's not cool....I wonder why they'll kill you?
They said I would defile MegaTokyo course I will probly do it anyway course after im a little thinner.

Kaori-chan
08-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Aww.... I don't think you'd defile it!

vyrax778
08-28-2003, 02:14 PM
well talked to some of my other friends the other day said we should do a Megatokyo group at AX2k4 (hope it doesnt fall apart) so Id be Piroko and my friend wants to do Largo in his overclocking getup ie a fleshcolored body suit with a old computer with all its guts hanging out in front.

Kaori-chan
08-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Lol I've certainly never seen that done before. But then again I haven't seen many MT cosplays...

Eleryth
08-29-2003, 03:32 AM
Lol I've certainly never seen that done before. But then again I haven't seen many MT cosplays...

I found a few while looking for pics from CNA in Toronto...
http://www.pictures.adaelis.com/cna2003_ikegami/cna2003_ikegami_p12.html
http://www.pictures.adaelis.com/cna2003_ikegami/cna2003_ikegami_p13.html

There's more pics in there somewhere, I think....

Enjoy.

e

Kira_Yamato
08-29-2003, 07:21 AM
I ran into a largo at Otakon. He had the Cool Thing!!!!

Kaori-chan
09-01-2003, 05:37 PM
And I wanted to be the first to make one...... (;.;) Oh well, perhaps my friend and I can claim rights to the first ever Necrowombicon...

Giant Alucard
09-10-2003, 11:30 AM
I cosplayed as Junpei at otakon, lol. I also did A angel version of Junpei there as well. You can see the costumes in my costumes list.

Kaori-chan
11-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Wow, the thread died. Well, pics of me as Ping are im my gally, as well as a CG I did of my friend. Check it out!

Catpaw
11-30-2003, 08:03 PM
*Pops in* I plan to do Piro, Largo... and a few other characters...

"Ph34r m4 4ut|-|ority!" Largo

KittenJay
12-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Piro-kun! I did a cosplay of him last year @ Fanime... The only problem was that barely anyone recognized me... -~_~-

If I can dig up any pics, I will post them.

I wore my Baka^2 t shirt, and a pair of cargo pants, a DiGi Charat character hat, similar to the one Piro wears when he works @ MegaGamerz, my bookbag, and I carried around my sketchbook. Only two people asked for a picture and said that I pulled the Piro off fairly well...

Kaori-chan
12-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Fred Gallagher's gonna be at Megacon, so hopefully there will be ppl there besides the MT crew who recognize our grop..... any other Mega-con ers here?

dylan no tama
12-01-2003, 07:33 PM
ive cosplayed piro, at icon22 and i plan to do it again this year.
i dont have a good pic of it, maybe i'll get one at icon 23

Kaori-chan
12-01-2003, 07:50 PM
I hope you can! Cosplay.com needs more MT cosplayers.

Ami Yuy
12-03-2003, 07:52 PM
I didn't do I MT costume, per se, but I used the "i.a.c." shirt. ^_^
http://forums.cosplay.com/costume.php?action=detail&cosid=5773

I needed a quick and easy (and not to mention cheap) costume for the laid back con days.

T4uRu$k4tt
12-04-2003, 02:16 AM
i have a mystery plan in the making of a megatoyko 'prop' for katsucon this year, but it might not get done till otakon. i'm very excited about it nonetheless!!!
yay megatokyoers! i didn't realize anyone on here had cosplayed them. kudos! ^^

~katt

Tiara
12-04-2003, 07:02 AM
My boyfriend is considering being Largo at Acen. And then I'm considering adding Miho to my costume list to go with him.

bunnybeth
12-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Those are cute Ping and Miho costumes in your gallery. I saw a few MT cosplayers at ACen last year (the MegaTokyo panel was one of the bigger events of the con) and there will probably be more next. I'm not planning on cosplaying MT myself next year, but am working on an Eri-chan from Okashini Okashi: Strangecandy (http://strangecandy.keenspace.com/) costume. It's another web comic and Dom is a crossover character in it.

neekabe
12-04-2003, 12:49 PM
*waves* so -this- is the megatokyo cosplay thread thanks for mentioning it Kaori-chan ^_~

I did the Broken Miho costume for halloween this year, first year in university and I figured it would be the best way to find other fans ^_^ It was great fun, despite the fact I sounded like a giant windchime everytime I moved..... ^_~

T4uRu$k4tt
12-04-2003, 03:49 PM
those are so cute!!

neekabe~ what did you make your wings out of?? O.o shiny!

neekabe
12-04-2003, 05:30 PM
The wings are made of a snazzy zinc alloy called flashing *grins* It's what the nice men at the hardware store gave me when I walked in with a pic and said "I want to make these" ^__^

It's really rather nice to work with and can be cut with tin snips relitively easily, though the edges were somewhat serated....

I ment to rust them down a bit to match the broken look, but never got the time ^_~

Kaori-chan
12-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Those wings look fun and yet annoyingly hard to make, you did a really good job on them. I'm considering making another screen for my earblade, if I can get it apart again. XD The text kinda got messed up cause I had to switch from my pen to a toothpick dipped in paint halfway through..... (~.~);;;

waynekaa
12-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Cool! MegaTokyo cosplay!
Please do take some pictures when you all finish.
MegaTokyo & American Cosplay Paradise are joining forces to hold a MegaTokyo cosplay contest in the near future so everyone should get their costumes ready! Preliminary details can be found at both sites.

daguru
12-10-2003, 08:10 PM
As mentioned in the MT vol. 1, fred's sidenotes showed that he was worried if anyone would cosplay as largo (when Largo was making Junpei's computer "L33T")........You know what I'm talking about. Well, has anyone seen this? cosplayed this? well..........maybe I might.

neekabe
12-10-2003, 08:45 PM
you could always rig up a stratigically placed fake computer case to carry arround/have attached/make the 'costume' legal to wear in public..... though you'd have to have the "ph34r my l33t n3kkid skillz" line on there somewhere :)

Tiara
12-10-2003, 10:10 PM
It's official, I have added Miho to my list. My boyfriend is going to be Largo, and then I have a friend going who will be Pirogoeth.

xiola
12-11-2003, 12:00 AM
^_^ those Pirogoeth/Broken Miho pics Eleryth posted are myself and kisa. that was this august. i'd wanted to do that pirogoeth costume since the poster was done 2 and a half years ago just coz i liked it, but it took awhile to find an excuse :P we'd planned to do it well over 6 months in advance before knowing that Fred would be at the con so that was a great coincidence :D (my shoes were supposed to be more clunky and boot-like but my shoes broke on me the week beforehand so it's not my fault! :p)

pirogoeth:
http://www.pictures.adaelis.com/cna2003_ikegami/pictures/cna2003_ikegami_196.jpg
http://www.kouha.net/xiola/images/CNA03/CNA03-blackdaisies-pirogoeth.jpg

broken miho wings:
http://www.kouha.net/xiola/images/CNA03/CNA03-keitarou-MT8.jpg

piro said broken miho has been popular for cosplay but that i was the first pirogoeth that he's seen :D *feels special* though kisa's broken miho wings are the best i've seen.

waynekaa
12-11-2003, 12:42 AM
As mentioned in the MT vol. 1, fred's sidenotes showed that he was worried if anyone would cosplay as largo (when Largo was making Junpei's computer "L33T")........You know what I'm talking about. Well, has anyone seen this? cosplayed this? well..........maybe I might.

You could always do what this person did. (http://www.oop-ack.com/cosplay/image_new.php?id=47)

While you're waiting for the ACP MegaTokyo contest to get off the ground, you should all get listed at oop-ack, if you aren't already there.
http://www.oop-ack.com/cosplay/cosplay.html
They've got 30 or so pics of MegaTokyo cosplay already!

Kaori-chan
12-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Oooh I'll have to send in some of my Ping pics! *Goes off to MT to get the details on that cosplay contest*

dylan no tama
12-11-2003, 05:08 PM
has anybody made a cool thing?
if so any advice on making one?
i dont cosplay largo, but who cares, its a thing....ands its cool

Kaori-chan
12-11-2003, 05:15 PM
I'm planning on making one for my friend who's cosplaying GTL if he goes to MegaCon with the rest of our group...they should be fairly easy to make out of styrofoam and modeling clay...

Ali
12-11-2003, 05:59 PM
I've been dying to make a Miho costume, and I finally got me a purple wig! Hopefully that'll work out... maybe... I hope... (ack, so many planned costumes)

Kaori-chan
12-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Miho wigs aren't really that hard to style...it's just the ribbons that are kinda a pain. Shouldn't be to hard though. If you need any advice, just ask (^.^)

neekabe
12-11-2003, 06:03 PM
How did you get your ribbons to stay nice and wrapped anyways? Mine refused to say nice and in place. (the fact that is was horriably windy on campus didn't help....)

Kaori-chan
12-11-2003, 06:10 PM
My friend glued wires (I think they're the kind that come inside phone cords but I'm not positive) on the inside and then I painted them with black nail polish for camouflage. From there all you need to do is curl them, and getting the section of hair inside them isn't hard at all. Then all you need to do is an occasional re-curling of the ribbons so they don't look squashed, as storage tends to do to them. If you wanna see how it turned out, check out my friend's gallery!

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=6474

There's also a CG you can see in my gallery:

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=6605

Hope I helped!

neekabe
12-11-2003, 06:34 PM
oooo very handy ^_^ I could keep mine braided into the hair and looking pretty for all of... 3 seconds. Then i'd move ^_~ Never thought of wire... that will definately happen next time I wear it. Thanks!

Kaori-chan
12-11-2003, 06:36 PM
You're quite welcome! I'm glad I could help (^.^)

Tranquility
12-14-2003, 01:35 AM
Kaori- Hiya...I stopped lurking around and am actually replying. Are you proud of me? (^_^"" lol

I'm going to be Miho at Megacon. yep yep. I just got my boots so my costume is officially finished. yay

bunnybeth- That's really cool. I haven't seen any Strange Candy cosplayers before. (^.^)

Kaori-chan
12-14-2003, 07:32 PM
I'm very proud of you XD. You'll have to take pics of you in your full costume and post them online now that you finally got your Miho jewelry back! I still need to finish my Ping wig.....does anyone know a good way to color wigs that doesn't involve a huge mess and massive amounts of money?

xiola
12-14-2003, 09:29 PM
decent-quality acrylic paint, warm (NOT hot) water, and lots of brushing when it's done. testing first would be a good thing. and you can't go lighter on a wig. only darker. the paint coats the wig, it doesnt' penetrate the strands.

this probably works better on wigs that *aren't* miles long like ping's though, otherwise you'll have ALOT of brushing. ;P

MPsy
12-15-2003, 12:42 AM
I think it would be fun to do a Boo cosplay...with the gun and the whole Mission Impossible outfit...heh...

Tranquility
12-15-2003, 01:07 PM
I think it would be fun to do a Boo cosplay...with the gun and the whole Mission Impossible outfit...heh...

A Boo cosplay would be so cute. ::nods::

Oh, I would takepics of my full costume but my digital camera is awful..plus I still wanna fix the dress so it doesn't look as triangle-like. ::nods again::

Kaori-chan
12-15-2003, 07:06 PM
>>I think it would be fun to do a Boo cosplay...with the gun and the whole Mission Impossible outfit...heh...

XD I wanna see that! It sounds so cute!

And xiola, thanks for the tip! I just wish I had a wig to practice on.... ^^;

Tranquility- we can alter the dress sometime soon, probably. Does your mom have a sewing machine or should we take the dress to my house?

Tranquility
12-15-2003, 07:56 PM
>>Tranquility- we can alter the dress sometime soon, probably. Does your mom have a sewing machine or should we take the dress to my house?

We don't have one... (~_~)

Kuri-chan
12-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Wow, MegaTokyo cosplayers, sw337!

The Mihoís look wonderful Ė very impressed.

1337 n4k3d ski11z Ė oh yes, that is awesome. Iíd suguest making a nice, lightweight prop computer and go buy some cheap-o ďgutsĒ to stuff it with, just so your not hauling around a full size and weight case all over a con. That could get aqward. And who wants to sacrifice a usable computer, even in the name of cosplay?

Iíd like to put together a Junpei costume on the eventual someday, still trying to work out the details. I actually found someone wearing an <3vi1 1337> t at a local Utah science fiction con. If I can make a MegaTokyo cosplay by then, at least Iíll get a smidge of recognition. Heh.

Kaori-chan & Tranquility6487, your Ping and Miho costumes look fantastic! Kaori-chan, how did you end up making the ear blades? They look great in the pictures.

Xiola, I love your Pirogoeth. Fun.

Kisa, your broken Miho wings look fantastic! @_@

MPsy, Boo in the MI costume would be great.

Vyrax778, donít feel bad, and donít let your friends stop you! Defile MegaTokyo by honoring it with cosplay?! Have they ever missed the pointÖ Did you bother to point out that in the story Piro (boy) plays Piroko (girl) and Progoeth (girl)? So what would be wrong with crossplaying as Piroís Endgame Worlds avatars?

If it makes you feel any better, Iím male, 6 ft. 3, and (slowly) working on a ďCapture the B34rĒ Piroko, and ďph34r th3 cute ones,Ē to be complete with full size proportional Chibi Killstick. ^_^; I hope by keeping it in proportion to my height, it wonít look painful to the eye.

Nice work everyone. Iíll add my contribution as I can. Iím afraid Iím still pretty newbie to the cosplay world, so it may be a bit. Still, its great to know there is a resource for help from fellow MT fans. ^_^

waynekaa
12-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Good to see so many MegaTokyo cosplay fans.
Just a note for the ACP MegaTokyo contest, those of you who have existing MegaTokyo costumes, it would be really helpful if you got multiple angles photos of the costumes (Front/Side/Back). That would help out judging alot.
Other neat news is we're working on trying to get some original artwork from Fred to be the prizes for the winners.

Tranquility
12-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Good to see so many MegaTokyo cosplay fans.
Just a note for the ACP MegaTokyo contest, those of you who have existing MegaTokyo costumes, it would be really helpful if you got multiple angles photos of the costumes (Front/Side/Back). That would help out judging alot.
Other neat news is we're working on trying to get some original artwork from Fred to be the prizes for the winners.

Where are we supposed to send the pictures? Sorry..(~_~) I couldn't find much information on it.. ::goes to look again::

Kaori-chan & Tranquility6487, your Ping and Miho costumes look fantastic! Kaori-chan, how did you end up making the ear blades? They look great in the pictures.

Thanks! (^_^) We both worked on the earblades. They were made with mostly model magic. I'll let her explain it better when she gets back here. lol She'll probably want to since they are her earblades. (^.^)

Once we finish working on my dress, I'll get to take pictures of the finished costume with the boots. My boots look funny though..probably because of my big feet. ::runs off and hides::

waynekaa
12-16-2003, 07:10 PM
Oh Tranquility6487, the contest isn't up yet. I know that it takes time for people to make their costumes so I'm giving them a heads up. You can submit it to oop-ack.com however in the meantime.

Kaori-chan
12-17-2003, 07:33 PM
>>Kaori-chan & Tranquility6487, your Ping and Miho costumes look fantastic! Kaori-chan, how did you end up making the ear blades? They look great in the pictures.

Thanks! They were made out of clip-on earrings, wire, model magic, and paint, plus some odds and ends and alot of ingenuity. They KILL my ears though...I had red marks when I took them off on Halloween. XP I tried to get the display screen to glow but it didn't work that well.... (~.~) I may make a replacement for that one since it's kinda bent though...

Kuri-chan
12-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Once we finish working on my dress, I'll get to take pictures of the finished costume with the boots. My boots look funny though..probably because of my big feet. ::runs off and hides::
Yay for pics! Um, dosn't Miho have pretty bulky boots anyway? I can't imagine that larger boots would look out of place. ^^;

They were made out of clip-on earrings, wire, model magic, and paint, plus some odds and ends and alot of ingenuity.
Okay, cool! I love how they even stick out at the correct angel. What is model magic? Showing my newbiedom again, aren't I.. ^^;

They KILL my ears though...I had red marks when I took them off on Halloween. XP
Do they weigh much? I was wondering if its the clip or the weight of the blade that hurt your ears. If its the clip, can you loosen them? I've done that before with clip-ons. If you have trouble keeping them on, I've also tried Spirit Gum (in small doses!). I have heard that falce eyelash glue is great for keeping clip-on earings on.

I tried to get the display screen to glow but it didn't work that well.... (~.~)
That would be a neat trick. Let us know how it goes if you try again.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this into a prop discussion post. Heh.

I was wondering, since I am far too tall to manage a convincing Piroko, do you think making a costume and props of an appropriate size might help make the cosplay workable? Baggy clothes, and a porportionaly sized chibi Killstick is what I had in mind for a ph34r 7h3 cute ones crossplay. ^^;

-Kuri

Tranquility
12-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Yay for pics! Um, dosn't Miho have pretty bulky boots anyway? I can't imagine that larger boots would look out of place. ^^;
lol..I guess your right. (^_^' It's just that they just seemed so big when I first got them..I'm not used to wearing boots so they looked weird compared to my sneakers that I usually wear. My eyes have finally got used to them though.. Yeah, I don't make sense.
Okay, cool! I love how they even stick out at the correct angel. What is model magic? Showing my newbiedom again, aren't I.. ^^;
Model Magic is a crayola modeling clay. It's really easy to make stuff out of and it airdries. We use it for everything. lol.
I was wondering, since I am far too tall to manage a convincing Piroko, do you think making a costume and props of an appropriate size might help make the cosplay workable? Baggy clothes, and a porportionaly sized chibi Killstick is what I had in mind for a ph34r 7h3 cute ones crossplay. ^^;
I think that would work out great. (^.^) As long as you make the props the right size it doesn't matter how tall you are. Good luck on your costume.

Kaori-chan
12-18-2003, 07:05 PM
>>Okay, cool! I love how they even stick out at the correct angel. What is model magic? Showing my newbiedom again, aren't I.. ^^;

Thanks! (^.^) I'm glad you noticed cause I really wanted them to stick out right. Actually alot of people haven't heard of Model Magic. It's an air-drying sculpting clay made by Crayola to be used by little kids. It comes in all kinds of colors, though I just use white and then paint it.

>>Do they weigh much? I was wondering if its the clip or the weight of the blade that hurt your ears. If its the clip, can you loosen them? I've done that before with clip-ons. If you have trouble keeping them on, I've also tried Spirit Gum (in small doses!). I have heard that falce eyelash glue is great for keeping clip-on earings on.

The earblades themselves are as light as air, but the clips themselves are insanely tight, and I have no idea how to loosen them.

>>That would be a neat trick. Let us know how it goes if you try again.

Thanks! That one was kinda bent anyway, and I saw the kind of paint I was originally looking for in the craft store today, so maybe I'll try another one. Or I could just dismantle the old one and make a new screen.... *shrug*

>>Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this into a prop discussion post. Heh.

Hey, it's MT props, so it's fine.

>>I was wondering, since I am far too tall to manage a convincing Piroko, do you think making a costume and props of an appropriate size might help make the cosplay workable? Baggy clothes, and a porportionaly sized chibi Killstick is what I had in mind for a ph34r 7h3 cute ones crossplay. ^^;

You should definitely go for it! I don't remember ever seeing Piroko's height listed anywhere anyways. But if someone DOES give you a hard time about it, just come up with something about Mario crossovers and those super mushroom things. (^.~)

>>Model Magic is a crayola modeling clay. It's really easy to make stuff out of and it airdries. We use it for everything. lol.

Yes we do! And a hairdryer on moderate heat is a great way to speed the drying process when in a pinch for time.

Kuri-chan, be sure to get plenty of pics when you do your cosplay! I can't wait to see the killstick, especially. I was planning on making a telephone pole for me to attack our group's Largo cosplayer with, but I have no idea how I'd do it. It would be alot of fun though....X3

Tranquility, I'm bringing my camera to your house so you won't have any more excuses not to have pics. XD Maybe we can get pics with the PS2, since Miho and Ping played PS2 that one time. Or something. (o.O);

daguru
12-18-2003, 08:07 PM
someone mentioned something about a "cool thing." Is there a certain page of MT that has a REALLY nice shot of it? I might make it.

Kaori-chan
12-18-2003, 08:09 PM
I don't remember seeing any, but the cover of the old graphic novels they're no longer making have a fairly decent shot. I would just go back and read the beginning comics. I know Largo uses it in the park so Ping can recharge her batteries before Piro gets his job, and then there's the original comic when he actually got the thing. Hope that helped.

Tranquility
12-19-2003, 04:52 PM
someone mentioned something about a "cool thing." Is there a certain page of MT that has a REALLY nice shot of it? I might make it.

strip11 (http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=11) strip137 (http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=137) strip293 (http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=293)

You should make it...that would be cool. ::nods::

Kairi G
12-19-2003, 09:21 PM
im making Piroko, has anyone out there seen a decent Chibi Killstick, i think my will be great i just wanna see some pics of others who have done it.

Kuri-chan
12-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the explanation on Model Magic. I'll have to try that sometime... my wife works allot with various clays (she's a sculptress!), so maybe she'll know about it. ^_^

>>The earblades themselves are as light as air, but the clips themselves are insanely tight, and I have no idea how to loosen them.

Really? Ow. I don't have any clips in front of me to explain, but I know there are ways to loosen them. Maybe if you clipped them to something wider than your ear, like a thick stack of paper, so it would wear the metal down a bit when youíre not using them? o.O; If they're light enough, I think a little pressure and spirit gum would keep them on without the pain. I can't imagine keeping a painful prop on over a three day con. >_<

>>Thanks! That one was kinda bent anyway, and I saw the kind of paint I was originally looking for in the craft store today, so maybe I'll try another one. Or I could just dismantle the old one and make a new screen.... *shrug*

Cool, let us know how it goes.

>>Hey, it's MT props, so it's fine.

Yay!

>>You should definitely go for it! I don't remember ever seeing Piroko's height listed anywhere anyways.

Domo arigato! I appreciate the support. ^^;

>>But if someone DOES give you a hard time about it, just come up with something about Mario crossovers and those super mushroom things. (^.~)

LOL! Thank you, thatís brilliant! =^_^=

>>I was planning on making a telephone pole for me to attack our group's Largo cosplayer with, but I have no idea how I'd do it. It would be alot of fun though....X3

Go for it! My little brother builds safe combat props for live action roleplaying games. Iíll ask him for some ideas on how you could build a telephone pole light enough to carry, and possibly hit someone with without causing serious damage. ^^;

Were you planning on making a wooden one, or the kind that Ping actually attacks Largo with? http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=141 http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=151 http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=369

>>Kuri-chan, be sure to get plenty of pics when you do your cosplay! I can't wait to see the killstick, especially.

I will. Iím still in the learning steps of sewing, so it may take a bit. The big hurdles I see are figuring out the jacket, curves, the wig, and the killstick. ><

>>someone mentioned something about a "cool thing." Is there a certain page of MT that has a REALLY nice shot of it? I might make it.

Go for it! Are you thinking of making it just the gizmo sphere, or are you going to attempt to make it do something?

>>im making Piroko, has anyone out there seen a decent Chibi Killstick, i think my will be great i just wanna see some pics of others who have done it.

Cool! Which version of Piroko are you making? Ph34r t3h cute ones is the most recognizable, and has the killstick. Iím trying to design the base costume so I could do ph34, capture the b34r, or just the general Quake Piroko.

The hardest part is going to be getting a Piroko/Pirogoeth wig. Does anyone have suggestions for one? I donít know much about wigs. ^^;

Im not sure how to make the shoulder and armor plating on the jacket; maybe a different material for like armor plating? The rest I figure I can figure out, purchase (like the pants & shoes) or get patterns for.

There are three different types of Killsticks so far in the comic.
Edís Sony Killstick http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=378 has already had one cosplayer http://www.oop-ack.com/cosplay/image_new.php?id=23 (from www.oop-ack.com). Unfortunately, I havenít found any for the other ones; Booís Hamster Killstick http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=473, and the Chibi Killstick http://www.fredart.com/fredart/artpage.php3?src=&ft=co&fn=32

-Kuri

Kairi G
12-20-2003, 11:24 AM
well thanks ill keep looking. i do have a great plan for making the chibi killstick! i cant wait to start it its gonna be funs to make!

nyamiko_chan
12-20-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up WanyeKaa!! I've been wanting to make a MT costume for a while. I think I'll start one.

Hey, (LOL!) A Boo cosplay would be awesome to see...I don't think can make it though because I haven't made anything Macot wise. But you could just make the head andthen furry gloves for hands.. ^_^

I think I'd be Piroko or Miho. I LUV Miho-chan!

Kairi G
12-20-2003, 12:27 PM
hehe boo would be classy, i hope someone does that!

Megumi-san
12-20-2003, 07:17 PM
I'm planning to be Seraphim for one con or another. I was going to be her for Halloween cuz I figured it'd be easy to do since we look so much alike, but I ended up as Chii from Chobits instead. ^_^
The wierd thing about her and I are that when she was glasses-less and had long wavy hair, so did I! Then when she reappeared donning glasses and short hair, I had just gotten my glasses and had cut my hair just days before. FREAKY! The only difference in our hair is she has bangs, I don't.
But anyways, I've started on my wings, but I need to pic an outfit to use...

Kaori-chan
12-21-2003, 03:44 PM
>>Really? Ow. I don't have any clips in front of me to explain, but I know there are ways to loosen them. Maybe if you clipped them to something wider than your ear, like a thick stack of paper, so it would wear the metal down a bit when youíre not using them? o.O; If they're light enough, I think a little pressure and spirit gum would keep them on without the pain. I can't imagine keeping a painful prop on over a three day con. >_<

Hmmm thanks for the idea....my grandma knows someone who makes jewelry alot so maybe I could ask for her help. It's too late to consider anything else for earrings to keep the earblades on cause I don't want to make them all over again, but I would like to not cut off all the circulation to that part of each ear all day. I'll only be wearing my Ping costume for one day for my next con, but wearing the earblades for just a couple hours was bad enough. (o.O) Not to mention that one got broken so it was pulling on my ear all weird...

>>LOL! Thank you, thatís brilliant! =^_^=

(^.^) You know, that would be a fun CG to make. XD

>>Go for it! My little brother builds safe combat props for live action roleplaying games. Iíll ask him for some ideas on how you could build a telephone pole light enough to carry, and possibly hit someone with without causing serious damage. ^^;

Thanks! (^__^)

>>Were you planning on making a wooden one, or the kind that Ping actually attacks Largo with?

I was planning on making one that looks like Ping's as much as possible.

>>I will. Iím still in the learning steps of sewing, so it may take a bit. The big hurdles I see are figuring out the jacket, curves, the wig, and the killstick. ><

For the wig, make sure it's made of either Kanekalon or Tokyokalon. Those are the best, and I've worked with the stuff before so I can tell you myself it's good. Very versatile. www.amphigory.com and www.witchwigs.com seem to have good wigs.

>>Go for it! Are you thinking of making it just the gizmo sphere, or are you going to attempt to make it do something?

I don't know why, but the phrase "gizmo sphere" amuses me.

>>Im not sure how to make the shoulder and armor plating on the jacket; maybe a different material for like armor plating? The rest I figure I can figure out, purchase (like the pants & shoes) or get patterns for.

This might help: http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html

You know what I wanna see? Boo, in the outfit he wears to rescue Seraphim! Catnip gun, jet pack, and everything! That would SO ROCK!

Kairi G
12-21-2003, 06:32 PM
just posted plans for my Chibi Killstick in my gallery, they arent comprehensive plans but they are pretty self explanitory. i am probably gonna start it next weekend. if anyone is wondering, i am gonna start with a foam core base frame and use small boxes, a juice bottle, and extra pieces of foam core for the protruding parts, i figured a way to attach a toy gun to the frame partially inside of it so only the handle part that i need will be visible. after i make the base i am going to paper mache it and then spray paint it silver. then ill do the various detail painting, and add things like wires, and the Kill-chan key chain. it is gonna be super cool! ill post pics of my progress as i go if anyone wants to see how i did it.

Kaori-chan
12-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product! *heads off to your gally to see the plans* Oh and I love your signature too XD

T4uRu$k4tt
12-21-2003, 08:48 PM
aww, you beat me to it! lol...
that's what i was going to do, and very similar to how also (foam and toy gun). i would have had to wait till after christmas anyway when i had money to spend on it, ^^

g'luck with it tho! are you going to use it with a piroko cosplay too? that would be sweet :)

~katt

Kaori-chan
12-21-2003, 08:50 PM
I hope you're still planning to make it though!

T4uRu$k4tt
12-21-2003, 09:22 PM
hm, i may i may, it's entirely possible i'll never run into kairi (no offence! hehe~ i just mean we won't be going to the same con next ^^;; ) plus, i already have most of the things on hand that i planned to use for it, just waiting till after the holidays for buying a big block 'o foam, since i couldn't decide what kind to use, and then got swamped in christmas arts n crafty stuff. sooo, yeah, mayhaps i still will...

~katt

Kairi G
12-21-2003, 09:42 PM
yeah im actually thinkin now that im gonna make the capture the bear version of Pirokos costume but i am still making the killstick! and if your wondering, ill prolly have this costume at Genericon and Anime Boston.

T4uRu$k4tt
12-21-2003, 09:52 PM
that sounds awsome, i'll be aiming for katsucon for the killstick, i was thinking of putting it in the artshow (i can show it off without carrying it around that way). if i don't finish it then it will make it's debut at otakon (but i'll bring it to both if i *do* actually finish it soon enough), that way if i make a piroko costume i can wear it to otakon, because i def don't have time for it by feb! ^^

i'll be sure to post when i get some work done on on it, we can compare notes, lol!

Giant Alucard
12-21-2003, 10:06 PM
i saw a naked Largo cosplayer with a homemade Boo plushie at Otakon and i was in the picture with him (The Junpei in the background)... Heres the link:
http://neonge.com/gallery/view/3264/

Kairi G
12-21-2003, 10:44 PM
wow.....kinda creepy :P that boo is fun tho!

Kaori-chan
12-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Lol there seem to be alot more naked Largo cosplayers lately. Someone should cosplay that and then sit at a table at a con with a bunch of computer parts everywhere and act like he was trying to make someone's computer "1337". That would be funny.

DDR Faery Spice
12-22-2003, 09:44 AM
I've got about three or 4 megatokyo cosplay things I've been working on....I just finished my "pwnzed" cosplay for otakon 04--A friend and I are going as Piro and Largo's Quake charries. Complete with weapons. heh heh heh. I just need to finish the paint on the chibi killstick and touch up the handgun. Largo's gun is complete. And I'm working on a Miho/Ping costume--Ive gotten most of Ping's done, but I need to finish earblades. I'm working on embroidery on Ed's PS3 jacket--you know, the "Live in your world, die in mine"? and I believe that's it. ^^; what can i say, 3y3 lubb0rz MT!c

Kuri-chan
12-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Kaori-chan Ė

Thanks for the advice on wig locations! Iíll give them a look. Iíve also requested a price quote on a custom wig from http://www.borderless-inspirations.com/ - no word back yet.

Thank you for the tip on the armor making sight as well! I think her technique will be perfect for building the shoulder armor. ^_^

Kairi G Ė

Ahh! You beat me to it on two points!
Your Killstick sketch looks good. Take some pics while your building so we can see how its going! Good luck with it!

The only difference I can see between the standard Piroko Capture the Bear costume and the ph34r costume is the sleeves on the jacket, and accessories (boots vs. shoes, belt, backpack, and cuddly bear vs. chibi killstick) Since Iím a lazy (read: n00b!) cosplayer, I donít want to figure out the bandage-looking sleeves or make elbow guards. I figure the long sleeved jacket from ph34r will work close enough for capture the b34r, or generic Piroko, plus or minus the accessories.

I was also going to make a Piroko avatar- beat me to that too! ^^ (How do you make avatars, anyway? Iím so n00b =P )

T4Ru$k4tt Ė

Woo, another killstick crafter! Canít wait to see how it works out. I'd love to share notes on how its built. Keep us posted!

DDR Faery Spice Ė

Wow, 4 costumes? Impressive! Do you have any pics of your work, finished or in progress?

As for myself, Iím getting ready to start on the Piroko crossplay work, just as soon as I finish figuring out how to do proportional curves. ^^;; Its amazing how much difference a little modification to your waist, hips, and chest will make to everything in the costume.

If the Proko costume goes well, Iím seriously contemplating a Largo costume to accompany it. Iíll defiantly build an Ed with Sony Killstick costume, and someday try the Boo with MI gear and Hamster Killstick. ( I just donít know how to make the mascot hamster head. o.O;; )

Iíbe been discussing the chibi killstick construction with a friend who builds computers. We are currently discussing shaping a foam core base, then coat the whole shebang in masonite (sp?) which Iíve never worked with before, but he is pretty sure will give us a nice smooth hard-as-a-rock finish. From there, its just a matter of attaching a trigger assembly, bolting on heatsinks, fans, and all manner of goodies. We are trying to figure out how we could hook up a battery to the fans to run them. Since they run on such low voltage (maybe 1.5v) we can probably hook them to a 9v battery for a cool overdriven sound. Overclocked killsticksÖ life is so good.

I also found another Piroko cosplay from OtakonÖ
http://student.ccbcmd.edu/~dmcca197/Otakon_Gallery_2/pages/Cosplay02.htm
(Ironically, I found it because I was looking for examples of Cardboard Samurai cosplay!)

Anyone have an idea of who it is? Will the Piroko pictured please stand up? The costume looks excellent.

-Kuri

Kairi G
12-22-2003, 03:53 PM
yeah so i designed my armor for Piroko, ill post in my gallery, im gonna be making it from foam most likely.

Kairi G
12-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Ok the pic of my armor design is up now if anyone wants to see.

Kaori-chan
12-22-2003, 09:38 PM
>>and someday try the Boo with MI gear and Hamster Killstick.

YAY! :dance:

>>Ok the pic of my armor design is up now if anyone wants to see.

Yay *goes to look*

Kuri-chan
12-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Kairi G -
Armor design looks very good. So are you doing a fully closed vest? Just curious, but are you going to have it a one piece like in Telefraged http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=291 Or thinking if splitting it down the middle so it can be open for a look closer to Headshot http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=305 ? It works either way, Iím just curious because Iím trying to plan mine using Headshot as a guide.

A good friend of mine is talking to one of his coworkers, who shapes and prepares foam for outdoor landscaping, about making the core of the Killsticks Iím working on. Since they are coated and built for some outdoor wear and tear they should be able to take the beating you might expect at a con. Once we have the basic shape done we should be able to paint and bolt on the rest of the killstick goodies. Luckily for me, friends have come out of the woodwork to help me build these, and they are saying they all want Killsticks of their own... most didnít even read MT before now! Maybe I can con em into reading it, and joining me for one of the cons as a MT cosplay group.

Iím still trying to make a guess at Pirokoís height / weight. I know it sounds a little odd, but I donít know how much to *ahem* add to my frame to fill out the curvy female look. Itís actually trickier since Piroko is so petite and Iím trying to keep the look proportional. Can anyone offer insight or advice?

-Kuri

nyamiko_chan
12-23-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm sure that Piroko is becoming way more popular than Miho (or Broken Miho) WOW! I can't wait to see all your cosplays!!

I'm seriously thinking of making Boo's combat suit, with all accessories :thumbsup:

I'm going out this friday (yay boxing day! shopping + sales = me buying things!) I wanna see how much it would cost for hamster looking fur. Boo *is* a hamster right =O ??

I'll get back to you on my decision. I have a Sasuke costume in the works and I need to see what I can make first..lol

Tranquility
12-23-2003, 11:37 PM
Boo is a hamster. (^_^) lol I really want to see those mascot costumes when they are finished..hehe. And it does seem that alot of people have started making Piroko costumes lately.. It might turn into the new Chii! dun Dun DUN lol. It's okay though..Piroko is cool. ::nods::

As for myself, Iím getting ready to start on the Piroko crossplay work, just as soon as I finish figuring out how to do proportional curves. ^^;; Its amazing how much difference a little modification to your waist, hips, and chest will make to everything in the costume.
If you need help, make sure you check out the crossplay forums if you haven't already.

Anyone have an idea of who it is? Will the Piroko pictured please stand up? The costume looks excellent.
I'm not sure who she is but I've seen her before. lol I think she was on oop-ack.com.

nyamiko_chan
12-24-2003, 12:35 AM
I luvers the Piroko! And I'm glad many people are cosplaying her. I just didn't think that it would happen all at once. A good thing of it will be all the pics of the costume *O*

A DDR LeGend
12-24-2003, 01:36 AM
I luvers the Piroko! And I'm glad many people are cosplaying her. I just didn't think that it would happen all at once. A good thing of it will be all the pics of the costume *O*

As I'm sure Piro doesn't read these boards, he's prolly tossing and turning in his sleep knowing how many folks cosplay from his comic :)

daguru
12-24-2003, 11:41 AM
well, im really happy to see all of the mt cosplayers. but what cons are everyone going to? (did i say that right?) Before Otakon, Im going to Katsucon and ACEN.

Giant Alucard
12-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Katsucon, Animazement and Otakon for me.

Kuri-chan
12-24-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm sure that Piroko is becoming way more popular than Miho (or Broken Miho)
That may be jumping the gun a bit, but she does seem to be getting more popular. Cute, stylish, and a boy playing a girl in Quake. Whatís not to love? ^_- Maybe thatís why I relate to Piro(ko) so much.

I'm seriously thinking of making Boo's combat suit, with all accessories
Yay Boo! Iím doing the same. I have friends helping me work out how to build the Hamster Killstick. Iíll tackle Boo once I have Piroko & possibly Quake Largo or Killstick Ed done. Letís compare notes! ^_^

It might turn into the new Chii! dun Dun DUN
Piroko vs. Chii, battle of the Kawaii ^^;;
That would be funny. Unlikely, but funny. Who says CLAMP should have all the cosplay fans?

If you need help, make sure you check out the crossplay forums if you haven't already.
Yup yup. Just posted over there. ^^ I found a lot of great information just parusing old posts.

I'm not sure who she is but I've seen her before. lol I think she was on oop-ack.com.
Really? Let me checkÖ Yup! There she is: http://www.oop-ack.com/cosplay/image_new.php?id=37 They must have updated when I wasnít looking. ^^;

As I'm sure Piro doesn't read these boards, he's prolly tossing and turning in his sleep knowing how many folks cosplay from his comic :)
He should be honored. (My worst fear is running into Fred at a con and having him give me an unhappy look. -_-;; )

what cons are everyone going to?
I'm actually new to the anime con scene, so if I'm finished I'll be bringing Piroko to Anime Oasis in March, CONduit (lil local con) in May, San Diego Comic Con in July (if I can afford to ^^; ) and Nan Desu Kon in September.

Can anyone suggest good cons for a newbie? I'd love to meet up with fellow MT cosplayers.

-Kuri

Tranquility
12-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Hehe..someone should link this to him. Nevermind, we'd probably scare him. lol. Are you cosplaying a MT character, A DDR LeGend?
well, im really happy to see all of the mt cosplayers. but what cons are everyone going to? (did i say that right?) Before Otakon, Im going to Katsucon and ACEN.
Kaori-chan and I are going to Megacon here in Florida. Why can't all you guys be here? ::sniffle:: Piro will be at Megacon so you guys need to be there......yep.....

::drags all of the MT cosplayers to Florida:: (wah hahaha) (^.<)

nyamiko_chan
12-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Why can't all you guys be here? ::sniffle:: Piro will be at Megacon so you guys need to be there......yep.....

::drags all of the MT cosplayers to Florida:: (wah hahaha) (^.<)

HAHA!! Only if you drag me all the way back to Canada T_T..?

I'll be at Toronto anime Con with Combat Boo (yes! I've decided it! *_*)

I've drawn out my plans for my Catnip Killstick ^_^ and put a collage of Boo together. I'll add it as an attachment. It might help ya to Kuri_chan ^__^\\//

I'm going out friday for fabric. I've decided on fleece for Boo because I know that fur will be extra expensive for me. :thumbsup:

I have to talk to a couldple of people on the Head construction tho. It gets hot in those suit so I have to plan it out just right ^_^

>>> The cons I'm going to this year are TAC(toronto anime con), Anime North, and Possibly Otakon :bigtu: I gotta save up for everything. I'm just troubled on how much it will all cost.

Tranquility
12-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Yay nyamiko_chan! ::can't wait to see a Boo mascot suit:: The only Boo I've seen was a person with ears..(and plushies) Cute collage thingy too.
And Merry Christmas to everyone! (^.^)

Kaori-chan
12-24-2003, 09:01 PM
>>::drags all of the MT cosplayers to Florida:: (wah hahaha) (^.<)

Yay! *helps*

Yeah, the collage is cool! I should do one like that for Ping. (^.^)

Merry Christmas!

A DDR LeGend
12-25-2003, 01:10 AM
[QUOTE=Tranquility6487]Hehe..someone should link this to him. Nevermind, we'd probably scare him. lol. Are you cosplaying a MT character, A DDR LeGend?
[QUOTE]

actually i have to do an ACTUAL Ping costume. i got randomly dubbed ping with a sailor fuku at ACen's NazeNani Megatokyo. So a brown wig with pig tails and a bandaid someplace on my face should do it, ne?

Kaori-chan
12-25-2003, 04:00 PM
I thought Ping's hair was gray....I think Piro said that at one of the MT panels...do you still have that link Tranquility?

*is seriously thinking about emailing the link to this thread to Piro as a Christmas "present"* XD

Tranquility
12-25-2003, 04:29 PM
No, sorry, I lost the link. It's true though.

actually i have to do an ACTUAL Ping costume. i got randomly dubbed ping with a sailor fuku at ACen's NazeNani Megatokyo.
That's funny. hehe (^_^)

Kairi G
12-25-2003, 07:11 PM
yay nyamiko_chan!!! boo will be great, also, a slight change of plans for my piroko armor. I found a strip that shows that the front of the armor vest is open. so thats prolly ow ill do it, i still am going to make it using the same method and basically the same pattern as before.

Kairi G
12-25-2003, 07:12 PM
http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=305
whoops i forgot to put in the link to the strip, im sure it will prove helpful to others doing this costume.

Kaori-chan
12-25-2003, 07:54 PM
XD That's a funny strip. Interestingly enough, I had been thinking about it not too long ago.

In costume news, I'm going to see if my mom will let me get a new Ping wig...there's a really nice one on Witchwigs that looks perfect, and is in the exact color I need. Kinda on the expensive side compared to what I'm used to spending, but it is alot longer, and you get what you pay for.

nyamiko_chan
12-25-2003, 08:48 PM
thanks guys and MERRY HoHO Day to you too ^o^

Ping's hair is gray wow! ^^;; I never thought X.x

Ya know what! This summer the whole MT gang (i think) came to Toronto, Canada to CNAnime ^^;; O.O What's stranger is that I was way to busy to make it to any of the pannels *sobs*

I hope he comes back, or that I make it to another con he goes to =__= *sigh*

Kairi XD that strip IS too funneh ROFL!!

Kaori-chan
12-25-2003, 08:58 PM
Nyamiko_chan, I LOVE your avatar! GO BOO!

Kuri-chan
12-26-2003, 09:38 AM
I found a strip that shows that the front of the armor vest is open. so thats prolly ow ill do it, i still am going to make it using the same method and basically the same pattern as before.
Thatís one of my favorite strips, and the reference Iím using for my Piroko jacket. Ano, I posted that link back on page 7 when I asked about your Capture the Bear costumeÖ http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=563677&postcount=94 But whoís counting? ^^;

What kind of fabrics do you think would work for the jacket? Iím planning on thicker parts for the collar and elbow pads, but only hard-armoring the shoulder pieces. Since Iím basing mine on Ph34r, the jacket looks more fabric than armor.

In costume news, I'm going to see if my mom will let me get a new Ping wig...there's a really nice one on Witchwigs that looks perfect, and is in the exact color I need. Kinda on the expensive side compared to what I'm used to spending, but it is alot longer, and you get what you pay for.
I've heard better reviews of Amphigory over Witchwigs, but I've never purchased from either. Do you have a link to the one you have in mind? Iím looking at Amphigory for my Piroko wig, and trying to use the tutorials at http://www.katiebair.com/ to add the thickness for pigtails. ^_^ Tricky work, but looks like fun.

Hope you had a safe and merry Christmas! (I got tons of sushi-making stuff!)

-Kuri

Tranquility
12-26-2003, 12:42 PM
I got two wigs from witchwigs...They were both really nice: Made of Kanekalon fiber and thick. Kaori came over and saw one of them, my gerudo wig, and so she's trying to get that one in silver/gray. I don't think witchwigs lets you directly link to a certain wig. (~_~) But the wig is under Cher/ 70's wigs and it's I think the third one. (I just cut bangs in mine and styled it..it turned out good)

Witchwigs has been having problems with their computers lately though so you may be better off waiting a while or just ordering from Amphigory. Amphigory and witchwigs are both good, as long as you order a wig with kanekalon then it's going to be a good wig.

Kairi G
12-26-2003, 01:34 PM
i am prolly going to just dye and style my own hair for my Piroko. originally i was planning on getting a wig, but i just dont have enough money to spend on this costume to buy a decent wig.

Tranquility
12-26-2003, 01:51 PM
If you can use your own hair, that's cool.(^_^) It's sort of sad for me because I have long dark brown hair and I have to end up stuffing it all in a wig. My hair would probably work for most of the costumes I'm doing(not miho though) if I could actually dye it. I tried dying it purple for Anthy and it barely showed up indoors...but when it was out in the sun it was really purple and cool. So my hair during the convention looked bad. (~_~''' I know it would work if I bleached my hair first, but I don't want to damage my hair or anything.

Kaori-chan
12-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Actually the one I wanna use for Ping is the longest wig under Cher/70s at Witch Wigs. I just wish they sold wig heads instead of just those expensive (and rather scary) plastic manequin ones.

Kairi G
01-01-2004, 09:27 PM
WOO HOO!!!!! started the killstick tonite, and of course i posted pics in my gallery. there are also pics of my armor progress, started that the other day. hehe the killstick is sooooo huge, but nice and light so it will be ok! yay! im so happy its working out very well!

Kuri-chan
01-01-2004, 10:17 PM
WOO HOO!!!!! started the killstick tonite, and of course i posted pics in my gallery. there are also pics of my armor progress, started that the other day. hehe the killstick is sooooo huge, but nice and light so it will be ok! yay! im so happy its working out very well!

Yay Kairi! Ganbate, yosh! It looks really good so far. Well done! You may want to consider puting an indent after the trigger area for your shoulder, since it looks to be shoulder mounted, and that may be more comfortable. I think Boo's also has the indent for the shoulder. Thanks for posting the pics so we could see how you did it!

_________]=== ___________
|+...................................|
|_____/ -]\_/ --- \________|

- -Trigger ^ . . ^ Shoulder mount

Sorry about the silly picture, fastest way I could think of drawing it out for you. ^_^

I wish I could start on mine... been too busy lately! I want to have Piroko ready for Anime Oasis, but I may have to put the project on hold. -_-; We'll see, nea?

-Kuri

Kairi G
01-02-2004, 08:40 AM
thanks for the shoulder mount idea. it seems to be working well with out one as of now, but i may end up putting one in, we'll see. i am very happy with my progress on it and i hope other people can have such an easy time with it that i am having. It is taking a long time tho, i worked for like 4 hours yesterday, and its no where near done XP oh wells...... its gonna be amazing when its done XD !!!!!!!

hana_chan
01-03-2004, 02:23 AM
hey, sup? just found out about this thread.

yuki the piro fangirl here!
also part time l33t ninj4...i gotta take pics of my costumes. -_-;;

Kairi G
01-03-2004, 10:31 PM
whoosh..... im dying my hair blonde right now!!! but otherwise, i have some more pics of my Piroko costume, which is of course what the hair dying is for. pics in my gallery as usual! yay im cute with my blue leotard and sexy gray pants. and that super cool belt!! yays! well enjoy everyone!

sailor-moon
01-03-2004, 11:28 PM
im in the process of making a Ping costume^^;;;;;;

Kaori-chan
01-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Oooh another Ping-chan! Be sure to post pics when you're done. Hopefully I'll be getting my wigs soon (mom seems reluctant to hand over the cash I need, even though it's mine in the first place (¨.¨)) and from there I get to make my first attempt at putting wigs into pigtails. This should be "fun", and definitely interesting. Though I suppose there's a first for everything, ne?

daguru
01-04-2004, 06:33 PM
well, i bought a fully-functional pc for $5. Im pulling out all the heavy components (like the power box) and cutting-off the side for a view of the inside. Ill have blue lights, LEDs, and a discoball on the inside (kinda like how a lot of users make their pc's super cool and whatnot).

*I wonder if I'll get arrested for this costume*

Kaori-chan
01-04-2004, 07:12 PM
YOU. MUST. TAKE. PICS. And don't forget to use cereal, too XD

daguru
01-04-2004, 07:32 PM
cereal? o.O

(ive only read vol 1 of the book)

Kaori-chan
01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Oh, okay. In that case, there was a strip where Largo used Breakfast Cereal to insulate the comp he was working on, and somehow beer worked its way into the mix too, lol.

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=403

Also, notice that Piro's fridge says "Smeg" on it. (o_____O);

daguru
01-05-2004, 11:24 AM
well, i could carry around a box of oat cereal and a hard drive that was in the comp. For posing i could put the box next to me on the floor and look like im tinkering with the HD

Kuri-chan
01-05-2004, 04:06 PM
i have some more pics of my Piroko costume, which is of course what the hair dying is for. pics in my gallery as usual!
Kairi, wow it looks great! ^_^ I canít wait to see the final details.

yay im cute with my blue leotard and sexy gray pants. and that super cool belt!! yays! well enjoy everyone!
^^; Very cute. Did you buy the leotard and pants? Iím trying to decide if Iím better off building or buying. I love the look of the armor, turned out very well! Iím shopping for a pattern to build the jacket from fabric, then armoring the shoulders. Then finding cute shoes in my sizeÖ -_-;;

well, i bought a fully-functional pc for $5. Im pulling out all the heavy components (like the power box) and cutting-off the side for a view of the inside. Ill have blue lights, LEDs, and a discoball on the inside (kinda like how a lot of users make their pc's super cool and whatnot).
sw33t! Sounds like its going to be great. You can prolly just leave the side panel off, rather than gutting a hole into the metal. You might want to add some electrical tape along the metal edges, especially if you plan on plunging your hands into the comp repeatedly for poses. ^^;

*I wonder if I'll get arrested for this costume*
If you try hard you can accomplish anything. ^_-

well, i could carry around a box of oat cereal and a hard drive that was in the comp. For posing i could put the box next to me on the floor and look like im tinkering with the HD
and b33r! Donít forget the b33r man! For safty and legality you could dress up some regular soda-pop cans (I would avoid glass bottles for safety and legal reasons. ^^;; ) as Largoís beverage of choice. You could even get a six-pack of something tasty and carbonated (get pokari-sweat from youíre local Asian food market Ė really impress the otaku) and just make paper wrap-around covers for your ď1337 b33r + c3r4lĒ cooling unit. ^_^

-Kuri

Kaori-chan
01-05-2004, 06:26 PM
If you dress up cans though, try to label it with some Japanese brand. That would be so cool. *nods* Largo was complaining about always having to drink a certain cheap beer so I could look for the comic that's in, or you could just use one of the main Japanese beer companies. Either way, I think it would be better than just randomly slapping on a sticker that says "beer", but I'm a nitpicker for details like that.

daguru
01-05-2004, 08:56 PM
hmmm, "Asahi B33r. The B33r-Drinker's B33r"

this is starting to be a lotta stuff to carry.

Kairi G
01-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Kuri-chan~ yeah i did buy the leotard, it is really hard to make things that are skin tight, especially turtlenecks, and i figured a leotard would be best since the pants fit very low on my hips so i dont have to deal with tucking in and obnoxious shirt. i got the leotard at a local dance store for $27, you could probably find one online for cheaper, but i needed it fairly quickly and knew they had them in stock so i splurged and got it. and for the pants, i found a pair that worked, but they were not the right color, so i used a combination of RIT pearl gray and navy blue dye to get the right color for the pants, this took about an hour of dyeing though because the material was not terribly agreeable with the dye. if you have the ability to make the pants in the proper color, i would suggest doing that. i sux at making pants so thats why i chose to buy them.

Kuri-chan
01-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Kairi~ Cool. Iíll have to hit the dance shops to see what I can find. I agree that skin tight looks best, especially with the pants riding on the hips. Iím still a neophyte sewer, so Iíll prolly sew the jacket, then purchase the top and pants as well. ^^ How much do you normally expect to pay for a leotard?

I have no idea where to go shopping for pants! I still need to finish working out the waist line (stupid boy hips -_-;; ) ala padding, then hopefully I can find and modify a pair to my needs. Any advice on shopping for inexpensive, skinny and tall? ^^;;

I love the way your jacket came out. What kind of foam did you use / where can you find it? Iím planning on foam & a hard front (plastic?) for the shoulders, and possibly a similar method for the killstick. I may have an old paintball gun chassis to sacrifice to the killstick grip.

Daguru ~ I lived in Japan for a short time. Let me go through my old magazines and see if I canít find a b33r add or three. If I turn up anything, I can scan them and send them to you. ^^
Itís a lot to carry, but just think of the MT fan-girls cheering for your n4k3d l33t skills. You could always follow up another year as Great Teacher Largo-sama, complete with 1337 13550n p14n. ^_^

-Kuri

Afterthought: Oh no! I just worked out my budget... ;_; I may not be able to afford all the props I need. I may have to scrap it and shoot for a Capture the B33r Largo... >_<;; I was planning on saveing that one for later. ._.

Kairi G
01-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Kuri-chan~
generally leotards of that style are between 15 and 30 dollars, if you buy one through an online dance distributor they are usually on the cheaper side but you dont have the option to try it on, and they often dont have many colors. the leotard i got is a Capezio brand 100% nylon navy blue turtleneck leotard and it was $27 retail. Capezio is a very good brand as is Danskin, so i would suggest trying to find one of theirs simply because they are quality and not too expensive.
Now on to the pants, i bought a pair of guys pants since that is really the look that Piroko has. this way it appears to straighten out the hips and really helps with making you look more like Piroko. I bought a pair of guys cargo pants at Kohl's and they were about $30, i actually ended up having to dye them that gray color because i couldnt find any in my size that were gray.
The armor vest was made from 1/2" thick chair pads which were i believe 18"x16" it took about 3 1/2 of these pieces. The shoulder pauldrons and the collar were also made of chair pad foam that was 1" thick and i covered them with cotton fabric before painting them to give it a more finished look. This foam was super cheap, only 99cents per piece of foam and i got it at a local fabric store, but im sure you could find it at someplace like Jo Ann fabrics or a craft store. as for covering the rest of the vest, i did not. this was at the advice of my boyfriend who said that the armor piroko wears is probably more like a hardened foam or kevlar. what i did was used acrylic paint to paint the armor and so when the paint dries it is harder, stiffer, and more like what he described based on his gaming and paintball experiences ^_^ I am prolly gonna finish the armor tonite and ill post the pics as soon as its done.

Kairi G
01-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Just so you all know. If anyone here is going to Anime Boston and will have a Megatokyo costume, i will be organizing a photo shoot for MT characters. PM me if you are interested!

Kaori-chan
01-08-2004, 07:31 PM
If only I lived where I could actually get to all these uber-1337 northern cons! Kairi G, you're doing an awesome job getting your Piroko costume together! I can already tell you're gonna look exactly like her. And just for the sake of curiosity, are those ping pong balls you used to make the hair thingies?

Kairi G
01-08-2004, 07:58 PM
nah, the hair things are actually cheap plastic ball ornaments that i found during after xmas sales, they are the kind that you can take apart to put stuff in them, so that was how i put the yellow ribbons on them and attached the hair ties. i spraypainted them silver. it was a genius plan on my part i think :D they are even the perfect size for keeping the costume in the proper scale.

Kaori-chan
01-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Very cool, and it was a very good plan! And now that I think about it, ping pong balls WOULD be too small....

daguru
01-08-2004, 08:07 PM
hmmm, shave body hair? or not to shave body hair? :eeek:

eh, im taking it all off the arms for my P-Head costume. might as well go all the way.

Kairi G
01-08-2004, 10:04 PM
new pics of me actually in the almost completed Piroko costume are up in my gallery. really all i got left to make now is elbow pads, arm wrap, and finish up the killstick! yay, the pics are so cute! but i forgot to take off my glasses for em :( oh well, these arent final pics or anything...please tell me wat you all think of the costume so far, i am really happy with how it looks

Kuri-chan
01-09-2004, 11:02 AM
hmmm, shave body hair? or not to shave body hair? :eeek:
Shave! The worst that could happen is a nick here and there. It shows your true dedication to cosplay. Or frightens people. Either way, itís a plus. ^_-

Just so you all know. If anyone here is going to Anime Boston and will have a Megatokyo costume, i will be organizing a photo shoot for MT characters. PM me if you are interested!
Sw33t. If only I had the money to fly to the east coast, stay in Boston, or attend the con, I would love to go. Wish I could make itÖ be sure to get lots of pics!

Kairi Ė Wow! You look fantastic. Pics turned out supah cute. ^___^ Neh, your making this a hard act to follow! Everything is looking great. I love the hair ornaments, and the shoes. Is that electrical tape or paint for stripes?

My Update:

Iíve found a wig Iím thinking of purchasing from a seller on e-bay. Looks pretty good, and its already separated into pigtails, with extra hair in the back so it doesnít look silly. I know I could probably custom modify one, but with a limited time budget and limited experience (this is my fist cosplay, and first crossplay after allÖ) I figure the less complex stuff the better.

I went shopping, and found a pair of menís charcoal grey cargo pants that match Pirokoís almost perfectly. They have pockets on the sides, but aside from that, they are the right color, and have the right look. Lucky me, I found a pair baggy on my boi hips (hopefully theyíll still fit well with padding! ^^; ), and on the clearance rack. Regularly $42, I paid $11 ^_^. Go me!

Iím thinking Kairi has the right idea about using a leotard for the top. Stretchy fabrics are not for the neophyte sewer. -_-; I checked a couple of shops, but will have to special order for my size.

Killstick just had a big setback. The fellow who was going to help me has run into trouble after getting caught with, er, recreational pharmaceuticals. -_-;; Back to the drawing board. I may have to use Kairiís method for my killstick.

Once I finish Pirokoís costume, Iím planning on building a Largo ďCapture the b33rĒ as well. ^_^ Iím not sure I can finish it in time for the next con (which is tiny, and prolly wonít recognize MT), but could be fun for a later project. After that Iíll try tackling Boo. If I can figure out Mascot headsÖ ^_^;;

More updates as they come along! Iíll put up some pics once I get some actual work done. =P

-Kuri needs a digital camera

daguru
01-09-2004, 11:35 AM
well, i was gonna get my old shop class teacher to cut the side of the computer case......unfortunately, he cut....the wrong side (and you can't flip it around). :lost: but not all is lost, i made a new casing from posterboard. it'll also be a lot lighter.

Kaori-chan
01-10-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm glad to hear your mishap turned out for the best, Daguru! Kairi G, your costume looks great! And guess what? I FINALLY ordered the wigs I needed, including a really long silvery one for Ping! I'm so happy ^^. Now all I need is to order the extensions for the back from Drlocks.net. Too bad Ping doesn't wear her hair down more, but I'll have to learn extensions anyway so I may as well start now. I'm gonna be SUPER busy these next couple of months.....

Kairi G
01-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Kuri, yeah i did use electrical tape, but that was just to help hold it together along with the small nails. i am in the process using paper mache to cover the entire thing, and then i plan on painting it.

Kuri-chan
01-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Daguru-
Good solution. If you build the comp out of poster board, you might be able to add some bits and pieces, as well as the cereal and b33r cooling system! ^_^ Sorry to here about the setback with the shop teacher. >_<;;

Kaori-chan
Yay! Good for you for getting the wigs! Jump on the Wig forum if you have any trouble. Katie Bair offers a ton of advice there. Iíll also be lurking there, as I just had a major setback with my wig too. -_-;;

Kairi G-
I was actually asking if you used green electrical tape for the stripes on your Piroko shoes. ^^;; Paper mache on the killstick? How well does that hold up? Iíve never actually used paper mache before. I canít wait to see how it turns out Ė everything else looks fantastic!

On my end, had another big setback. I had worked a budget that would allow for this wig on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2878643983&category=48865
but after e-mailing the seller (two sellers actually) they said that the pigtails are built in, there is no way to safely straighten the curls, or set the pigtails up higher on the head. Now Iíd rather trust Katie Bairís advice than an e-bay seller, but itís not worth risking $50 some-odd dollars when I could spend the same amount (plus about $40 for special tools) and modify one from scratch myself. Guess whoís going to be busy learning how to style a wig? -_-;; Iím planning to order from Amphigory, using the Enchantment wig in Bad Girl (light blond). Then Iíll have to cut bangs, style, and possibly modify the back for pigtails. Thank goodness for Katie Bairís tutorial sections.
Parting for Pigtails:
http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_parting.html
I figure in the long run if it teaches me a new costuming trick, then itís worth the extra effort and money. ^_^

Good news: Ordered my leotard from a great dance shop that was totally cool with me. I mentioned Iím a costume designer and the makeup artist for a local haunted house (which I am), and they gave me a 10% off discount! Go me! Got that and some good dance tights (a must for anyone adding curves to their waist) for only $35. ^_^

The next big blow to the budget is going to be a new set of brushes and makeup. Piroko doesnít seem to use much, but Iím only familiar with fantasy and horror makeup, and my face needs all the help it can get for crossplay. >.<;; Iím planning natural, with a pale foundation, natural looking blush and lips, then heavy exotic on the eyes. Pirokoís eyes seem to be her most predominant facial feature. Any suggestions on what colors to look for?

WowÖ this is turning out to be more of a project than I had first thought Ė but its so much fun. ^_^

-Kuri

Kairi G
01-11-2004, 11:50 AM
ah the stipes on the shoes were just painted on. and as for make up, i just got some for the green camo paint on her face, it is Ben Nye brand creme make up that was in a kit for making a witch face, the store i got it at let me just buy the creme and it was $4, sorry, i dont have it with me right now, so i cant tell you the name of the shade, it was a light khaki green, if that helps.

Kaori-chan
01-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Kuri-chan:
I've been over there for awhile now, and Katie Bair's helped me out alot with her advice and answers to all my question, and the people over there are really nice too. I'm not only using her pigtail tutorial, but Amphigory's bangs tutorial because the wig I ordered doesn't come with bangs. I've already used it once and it worked really well.

Kairi G
01-11-2004, 05:02 PM
after 5 hours with my hands and just about everything else covered in paper mache, the killstick is ready for paint....i never expected this project to be so lengthy. it looks really really good though, ill post a pic soon.

Kaori-chan
01-11-2004, 05:20 PM
I can't wait to see the pics!

Kuri-chan
01-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Kaori-chan:
I was looking at Amphigory today, at the tutorials. Iím also getting a wig without bangs, so Iíll be learning how to style, cut bangs, and put in the pigtails. May I come pester you for help if I get a little lost? ^^; Thank goodness everyone is so welcoming here with sharing ideas and how-to stuff. I hope I can contribute my own ideas someday. ^_^

Kairi G:
Wow! I canít say wow enough. I just saw the pics in your gallery, and everything is looking great! Like I said before, yours is going to be a hard act to follow. I canít wait to see your killstick painted! Does the paper mache add to its sturdiness? Iím planning to set mine up a little differently, alter the design slightly, but I may be using the technique youíve shown while building yours. Very cool. ^_^

I got a little detail obsessive today. ^^; Since I was having a hard time with references, I printed out all the major appearances of Piroko and Pirogoeth. I ended up with about 14 good reference pics. Then I listed out all the props each variation uses, and tried plotting out a theater-style makeup chart for Pirokoís face. >_<;; Not easy when her only expressive feature is her eyes, and she only seems to have three emotions; sad, sarcastic, and pissed off. It all works out to too much obsessing and not enough working. Itís prolly because itís the first cosplay Iíve ever worked on, so I want everything to look perfect.
-_-;;

More updates as they come along. Keep up the amazing work guys!

-Kuri

Kairi G
01-12-2004, 03:08 PM
yeah the paper mache has made it a lot sturdier, i highly suggest that however you end up making yours, it would be a good idea to do a paper mache layer.

also, do you have any pics of your make up plans or some suggestions? i have background and skill in applying theater type make up but have never had to design it for some one, and i think it would help to make me seem even more like Piroko if i had make up that complemented it, i do have a light khaki green cream base make up for the smudge things on the side of her face.

Kaori-chan
01-12-2004, 07:37 PM
>>Kaori-chan:
I was looking at Amphigory today, at the tutorials. Iím also getting a wig without bangs, so Iíll be learning how to style, cut bangs, and put in the pigtails. May I come pester you for help if I get a little lost? ^^; Thank goodness everyone is so welcoming here with sharing ideas and how-to stuff. I hope I can contribute my own ideas someday. ^_^

Of course I'll be more than glad to help! I'm as much of a beginner as you at putting wigs into pigtails and I've only cut bangs once, but I'll try to help as much as I can. But we'll get through this together, ne? (^.~)\/

>>It all works out to too much obsessing and not enough working. Itís prolly because itís the first cosplay Iíve ever worked on, so I want everything to look perfect.

Hey, In my opinion being detail obsessive is a good thing! It's why my Utena costume isn't a random black shirt with stuff sewn onto it to make it look like an Ohtori uniform. I drive my grandmother, who is teaching me how to sew through cosplay, crazy with it.

"Well, it's just a drawing! It'll be almost impossible to get your costume to do that!"
"But that's the way it is!"

...yeah. Details are very important in a costume, so obsess all you want!

And as far as Piroko makeup goes, the smudge things on her cheeks are a definite must. And from looking at her eyes, I think that a good layer of eyeliner on the top eyelid might work, or even fake eyelashes since most girls drawn in that style seem to have really long eyelashes. Plus when you have them on they make your eyes look all cool and stuff. I know Piroko isn't exactly the type to look all frilly and stuff, but it might work. *shrug* Just a suggestion.

Kairi G
01-12-2004, 08:06 PM
thanks for the makeup tips, ill keep it in mind especially when i do the pictures for the AC paradise contest.

Kaori-chan
01-12-2004, 08:08 PM
No prob! It's times like these that make my learning the art of makeup purely from color guard extremely useful....XD

Kuri-chan
01-13-2004, 09:24 AM
>>yeah the paper mache has made it a lot sturdier Ö it would be a good idea to do a paper mache layer.

Great! Thanks for the tip. I am also exploring the possibilities of masonite, plastic sheeting, or fiberglass (>_<) for the exterior. Paper mache will prolly be the least expensive.

>>do you have any pics of your make up plans or some suggestions?

Coming up! Iím working on one now, but due to my extremely lacking artistic skills, it looks pretty awful. -_-;; Iíll try and get one finished and scanned in soon. ^^

Right now Iím trying to find examples of famous ďlooksĒ. For the sad look, the classical ďItĒ girl from the 1920ís seems to work with modifications.

Piroko has a tricky face to work with, and there are two ways to try to tackle it. The first is the ďrealisticĒ look, as if Piroko were real world. The other is trying to do a more literal interpretation of the artwork. Either way, you end up somewhere in between. ^^;;

What Iím thinking (and please be critical of my ideas Ė I have limited experience with beauty cosmetics!) starting form the top:

Foundation Ė I would go with a light foundation. Not Mana-like white, just an ivory or soft pale complexion that will go well with a light healthy blush. Curse those anime girls for their unnaturally perfect skin. ^_- If you have good coloring already, a little concealer is all you need. My self, heavy foundation, blended near the wig, around the throat, and all over the face is what I need to do. It creates a nice pallet to work with. ^_^

Contouring Ė If you already have a girlish face, you wonít need to do too much. Iíd contour the jaw, just under the cheekbones, temples, and call it good. For myself, I need to go a little heavier to round out my face and create the illusion of a more feminine shape. ^^;;

Remember, unless you are going onstage under bright lights, this is not theater style makeup. The goal is to have a healthy ďgenkiĒ look, not frail, gothic, or washed out.

Shape the eyebrows - All of Fredís art features tiny eyebrows, an anime standard. How literal is subject to interpretation. Most strong characters in anime have thick eyebrows; Fredís art seems to try to capture more mood than strength, and that mood is universally toned with sorrow. Long, slender, and arched eyebrows, usually in a sad expression is what Iím shooting for.

Eyes Ė eyes are the biggie. Heavy eyeliner on the top, shaped to look Asian or exotic, maybe even smoky all around the eye, and heaviest on top. I plan on shaping some fake eyelashes so they seem longer towards the outer edge of the eyes. Looks really cool, without having the ďdrag queenĒ effect. ^^ Shaping the eye with liner is the hardest part I think. A natural looking brown shadow will work best for contour. Piroko doesnít seem to be the colorful eye shadow type.

Blush Ė This is one where I need help. There are a couple of ways Iíve read about applying blush, but we are going more for cute-warrior-athlete than blushing bride. Healthy, genki, energetic is the look we want. Pick a color that works for you, and when in doubt, go easy on it.

Highlights and lowlights Ė If you donít need it, donít bother. I need it. -.-;; This is used for changing the shape of your face, just like contouring, only more extreme. I plan to use it around my eyes, jaw, temples and chin. Get that softer, rounder face.

Lips Ė Piroko doesnít have much in the way of lips, but since we do, we need to work with them. I plan on a healthy pink, staying away from bright colors and heavy reds. We want to look girlish without looking like we arenít wearing lipstick. ^^;; Shape them in a complementary way (I have larger lips, so Iíll be shaping mine slightly smaller), smooth on some gloss, and your ready to go frag space marines in sw33t sad girl in snow style. *^_^*

The very last step will be the green smudges. They go on top of everything else, so doll yourself up before you add the tough touch. Set your makeup with powder before you add the green to avoid smudging the base and blush underneath. Since the green needs to be pretty solid, go with a theatrical creame makeup, and don't forget to set with powder.

Iíll try to get a makeup chart finished and scanned in, so I can show you what Iím thinking. The good news is since Piroko is so devoid of facial features, you donít need to have much. The drawback is that you have to do some, without looking like youíre doing any! On one end, you have to look tough (youíre a fighter, right?), but at the same time cute and girlish, since thatís what Piro plays to annoy the big beefy ph34r m3 types.

Whew! Sorry about the long post. Me? Obsessive? Surely you jest. ^_-

>>Of course I'll be more than glad to help! I'm as much of a beginner as you at putting wigs into pigtails and I've only cut bangs once, but I'll try to help as much as I can. But we'll get through this together, ne? (^.~)\/

Hai hai Ė ganbate! ^_^ Okay, with help on my side I feel a lot more confident ordering a wig. Iíve really got to get on that soon, but Iím afraid to take on too many parts of the project at once. >_>;;

>>Hey, In my opinion being detail obsessive is a good thing!

Huzzah! Iím not the only crazy one. ^_- Let me know what you think on the makeup ideas, and Iíll try to get a chart scanned in soon. Hopefully Iíll get out materials shopping today; Iím way past due for starting on the jacket. =P

-Kuri

daguru
01-13-2004, 11:23 AM
i was wondering, what cons are everyone here going to? Im taking my costume to katsucon, otakon, and possibly ACEN

Kaori-chan
01-13-2004, 06:22 PM
>>Hai hai Ė ganbate! ^_^ Okay, with help on my side I feel a lot more confident ordering a wig. Iíve really got to get on that soon, but Iím afraid to take on too many parts of the project at once. >_>;;

Thanks! (^.^) You could always order the wig asap, and then work on it as you get the opportunity. You need to provide for shipping, delays, backorders, etc. and you don't wanna stress about it. As far as wigs go, I think it's best to start working on it early as possible since it's such a big part of the costume and so easy to mess up on when rushing, epsecially beginners. 'tis a very delicate balance between art and science, this hobby of ours. ^^

>>Huzzah! Iím not the only crazy one. ^_- Let me know what you think on the makeup ideas, and Iíll try to get a chart scanned in soon. Hopefully Iíll get out materials shopping today; Iím way past due for starting on the jacket. =P

WOOT! Yay for crazyness! XD I like your makeup ideas, and I know for a fact that's definitely more than I know how to do. XD All I know, for me at least, is that expecially for pics, always put on just a little more makeup than you think you would need in real life. Check out the difference between my Utena pics from Metrocon (hardly any makeup: foundation, mascara, annoying sparkly lipgloss) and Ping from just a couple months ago (heavier foundation, eyeshadow, thicker eyeliner than showed up on camera, mascara, and darker lipstick than showed up on camera). Ping looks much better, as I'm sure you'll all agree.

(little tip: NEVER wear glitter or sparkly lipgloss, unless your character requires it. Messes up the pics something awful ^^;)

And in answer to Daguru's question, I'll be going to Megacon in Orlando this March, and hopefully Metrocon in Tampa this summer.

Kairi G
01-13-2004, 07:27 PM
great ideas on make up, i had some myself too, generally similar to yours except on the lips i was thinking of going with a very pale and more skin colored tone, and then very light brown lip liner, i thought it would help to make the mouth seem thinner.
and, pics of the partially painted killstick are in my gallery

also, im goin to Genericon, and Anime boston, and maybe some other northeast cons during the summer

Kaori-chan
01-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Woo! Go Kairi G! *comments on pics*

Kuri-chan
01-14-2004, 12:58 PM
>>i was wondering, what cons are everyone here going to? Im taking my costume to katsucon, otakon, and possibly ACEN

Iíll be taking Piroko to Anime Oasis, CONduit, and Nan Desu Kon. Iím trying to get the money together to go to a few more cons (A-Kon? One of the Callifornia cons?), or just build more MT costumes for NDK. ^^ Next up on the list might be Capture the b33r Largo , School girl Piroko from Fail Condition ( http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=327 ), or Goth-Lolita Piroko from Grand Theft Colo: Otaku City ( http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=400 ) Fixated? Me? ^^ Nah, I just want an excuse to dress up in school girl uniforms, goth lolita outfits, enjoy the time and effort Iíll be putting in on the wig, and win awards for making the most obscure costumes possible. ^^;;

>>You could always order the wig asap, and then work on it as you get the opportunity. You need to provide for shipping, delays, backorders, etc. and you don't wanna stress about it.

Yeek! I never thought about it that wayÖ good idea! I think Iíll follow your advice. ^^

>>like your makeup ideas, and I know for a fact that's definitely more than I know how to do. XD

Thanks! Heh. Lots of reading and research, as a side effect of my weird fantasy makeup hobby. ^^ If you want to learn more, my cosmetic makeup bible is ďMaking FacesĒ. Itís wonderful ^^ Unfortunately, most of what I know is theoretical. I know what steps to take to paint the picture, but my hands still donít know how to hold the brush. ^^;;

>>Check out the difference between my Utena pics from Metrocon Ö and Ping from just a couple months ago Ö Ping looks much better, as I'm sure you'll all agree.

I donít see anything wrong with the Utena makeup, other than itís not as noticeable. Ping looks wonderful, as Iíve mentioned before. ^^ If you felt obnoxious (like me) you could do some character shading (like Iíll be doing with Piroko) but since you have such a nicely shaped face already, you donít need it. ^_^

>>little tip: NEVER wear glitter or sparkly lipgloss, unless your character requires it. Messes up the pics something awful ^^;;

o.O;; I never thought of that! Great tip, thank you! ^^

>>great ideas on make up

Yay! Thanks ^_^

>>had some myself too, generally similar to yours except on the lips i was thinking of going with a very pale and more skin colored tone, and then very light brown lip liner, i thought it would help to make the mouth seem thinner.

Thatís because great minds think alike (and then thereís us!). I like the idea for the lips, only Iím afraid that stylizing the lips too much would actually end up drawing too much attention to them. Itís the same problem with the eyebrows; if it goes too thin, it looks unnatural. It all depends on how literal you want to interpret the stylizations of the art. The effect I want to go for is the healthy look, that should blend well enough into the overall picture of the face so the audience focuses on what I want them to focus on (eyes, hair, and costume) rather than what I donít want them to notice (lips and in my case, gender!)

On my end, I got together with my costuming buddy (she and I are working on a long term project for Costume Con 2005!) and went shopping again. I found some great fabric for the jacket, nice and thick, in the right green, but a couple shades dark. To keep fabric consistency, Iím going to just dye the sleeves the dark green-grey. I found a great pattern for the jacket on sale, and it will work perfectly for the Quake Largo cosplay, and possibly Edís Sony jacket, planned for the far future. ^^ I also picked up some foam for curves, and am still exploring materials for the Killstick. Now if only I can wrestle away some time to get some cutting and sewing done! -_-;;

-Kuri

Kairi G
01-14-2004, 03:08 PM
i highly suggest going with the foam core base for the killstick, it was really easy to work with and i could embellish it easily as well. then paper mache made it stronger, i wouldnt suggest doing it out of fiber glass, because that can take a long time and requires much skills

Kairi G
01-14-2004, 06:02 PM
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=103880&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

THE KILLSTICK IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! all it is missing now is its Killchan keychain, which i still have to make, but my mom is out getting me the sculpy i need to do that! yayayayay!

Kuri-chan
01-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Yay!! Kairi, it looks wonderful! I am so impressed. @_@

Congratulations! Now, soon as it's all dry, you've got to take some sw33t action pics for us, modeling the Killstick. ^___^

You're Kill-chan logo looks great, and I love the attention to detail. The fans look good too. Soon as you've got the Kill-chan keychain your all set!

ph34r t3h Kairi G - for she is t3h l33t.

Hope mine turns out nearly as well... once I get working on it ^^;;

-Kuri wants a killstick

Kairi G
01-14-2004, 06:23 PM
oh ill be sure to take lots and lots of action pics, they are fun stuff, i had a pic of me aiming at my friend who looked very confused, but that was before it was painted.

Kaori-chan
01-14-2004, 07:49 PM
>>I donít see anything wrong with the Utena makeup, other than itís not as noticeable. Ping looks wonderful, as Iíve mentioned before. ^^ If you felt obnoxious (like me) you could do some character shading (like Iíll be doing with Piroko) but since you have such a nicely shaped face already, you donít need it. ^_^

Thanks! (^_____^)

>>o.O;; I never thought of that! Great tip, thank you! ^^

Glad I could be of some assistance ^^

Kairi G, great job! And I agree, pics with you and killstick in them are in order here!

Eleryth
01-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Has anyone ever cosplayed as Erika? I see pics of Pings, lots of Mihos, and Pirokos and a few Pirogoeth, and Largo... but have yet to find an Erika cosplayer. Is this because the majority (ok, all, so far?) of her outfits are really from other series? So, in a way, cosplaying Erika is cosplaying something else?

Kairi G
01-14-2004, 08:21 PM
i have thought about cosplaying as Erika, since i absolutely adore her, and well im an Erica too! and she has such exciting outfits. i think it was my love affair with the chibi killstick that made me pick Piroko for my first MT costume. but sometime i will prolly make an Erika costume. shes sooo cool!

as requested, action shots of the killstick are in the gallery, the funny thing too is that im wearing my Ph34r teh cute ones shirt, i sent these pics to think geek too for their action shots thing

Kairi G
01-15-2004, 11:10 PM
ok guys.......the Piroko is absolutely finished down to the last detail! i just finished it. i will get pics of me in it this weekend at Genericon, and ill post them as soon as i get the chance. Thank you guys for all the help and support you have given me on this costume. you are all wonderful!!! and officially, i have dubbed Genericon my con of last minute cosplay. this costume i made in the space of about 3 weeks but last years costume for genericon was made in under 3 hours. speaking of hours, if any one was wondering, the final hour count for Piroko was approximately 30 hours split about evenly between the costume and the chibi killstick. overall the killstick was the hardest part just because it was such a intense and detailed process. thanks again guys! i love you all! and i hope i can help you out on your various costumes to come! :D

Kairi G
01-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Pics of the completed Piroko costume are in my gallery now. i had lots of fun a Genericon and there few people who recognized me were really impressed with the killstick in particular. it was lots of funs carrying around such a big gun at the con. Yays! i hope you guys like the pics!

Kuri-chan
01-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Oh my goodness! Kairi, you look fantastic! Totally sw33t. You should be proud of yourself! Iím happy to hear the con went well, and that people recognized you. Awesome.

Iíve still got a ways to go on mine. ^^;;

I was able to sketch out the Killstick on butcher paper. Like I said before, the whole trick for me is keeping everything proportional. What I did was print out a copy of ph34r on a regular page, and measure both Piroko and the killstick according to the printout. Then I did some math, substituting my height (about 6í3Ē) for Piroko. It works out to:
Piroko = 8Ē Ė 75Ē (6í2Ē) ratio. That means the ratio is 1Ē on paper to 9.375Ē life size. ^_^

The killstick works out to be about 68Ē or just over 5 and a-half feet. Big toy, nea. From there I just measured in inches for each major feature (location of fan, trigger, hilt, [imagined] shoulder rest, ammo box), and drew them out like a puzzle. About 8Ē tall, by 5.6 feet long, by (guesstimating) 4 inches wide. Itíll be quite a piece once built. ^_^

As a variation, Iím thinking of using a 5.5 foot length of inch or half inch PVC plastic piping for the barrel, and overall support. I may build layers of foam core around it (rather than leaving it hollow) and I havenít decided if Iíll sacrifice a toy gun to the pistol and guard. It would save a lot of trouble, if they can be built around easily enough.

Otherwise, Iím cutting out my jacket pattern tonight, and may start cutting out fabric to start sewing tomorrow. Still waiting on the leotard to come in, and still need to finalize some curves. ^^;; Hips look good, still need backside and top. *^^* Due to finances, I canít order my wig till Thursday.

Any suguestions as to which wig to get? ^^;; Iím looking at Femme Fatale or the Enchantment. I donít know which! Iíd rather get Femme Fatale (Skin top) but is it long enough to pull into good Piroko pigtails?

-Kuri

Kaori-chan
01-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Enchantment is definitely way too long. Femme Fatale is borderline with the shortness issue. Doesn't Piroko have bangs? Perhaps a Cleopatra wig like this one (http://www.worldofmagic.net/cartsnap/product_info.cgi?Wig_Cart+49948_1074559350+Wig_Car t_cart/images/44.jpg+cartsnap/Wig_Cart_cart/full_text/44.txt+44+Cleopatra) would do, unless you want longer bangs. Perhaps you could ask on the wig forums. I'm sure someone there would know more than I do. I'm sorry I can't help more.

Kuri-chan
01-19-2004, 08:12 PM
>>Enchantment is definitely way too long. Femme Fatale is borderline with the shortness issue. Doesn't Piroko have bangs?

I agree, and yes she has long bangs. I like the Femme Fatale because I can trim the bangs, and it has the skin top, so I might be able to curl the bangs under. Pirokoís bangs even stick up a bit at the widowís peak. I prolly wonít go that far, but as close to it as I can.

I think youíre right. The Enchantment may just be too much hair to work with. It might be less expensive to add extensions into the pony tails for length on the Femme Fatal.

>>Perhaps you could ask on the wig forums. I'm sure someone there would know more than I do.

I did, and I got no responses at all. -_-;; Very sad.

Thanks for the tip on the Cleopatra wig, but I think Iíd feel better actually trimming the bangs myself, since that way I can also have the locks at the sides of her face. ^_^

-Kuri

Kaori-chan
01-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way about making wigs with bangs. I hope my advice helped, though ^^

daguru
01-21-2004, 11:30 AM
oh gawd! i hope the hotel for katsucon is connected to the con center via skywalk or something, or else, it's gonna get REAL cold!

Kuri-chan
01-22-2004, 08:41 AM
>>oh gawd! i hope the hotel for katsucon is connected to the con center via skywalk or something, or else, it's gonna get REAL cold!

Two suggestions

1- Wear dance tights, so you can sew on a ďCENSOREDĒ sign. OR wear all white below your waist (leggings, long underwear, whatever) with a thick black belt. You can tell people ďItís the line break. Fred never draws n33kid Largo below the waist.Ē ^_^

I once saw something similar at a con. There were a handful of identical Ranma-kuns, all dressed in red tops and dark blue pants, except for one guy who stood out. He was dressed in white top and black pants, black shoes, no color at all. Each one had the same line in the masquerade. ďIím Ranma Saotome. Sorry about this.Ē Except the guy in black and white. He got up and said ďIím Ranma Saotome, but Iím the manga version!Ē He won best Ranma. XD

2- Suck it up for the cosplay, man! A little cold wonít kill you. ^_-

Either way, kudos for you for cosplaying n33kid l33t skillz.

>>Yeah, I feel the same way about making wigs with bangs. I hope my advice helped, though ^^

Of course! Your moral support and suggestions have been a huge help and inspiration.

Update: Got my leotard in for the Piroko top. I ordered it a size to smallÖ ;_; Iíd return it, but itís a special order and no returns. Iím kicking myself for finding the same thing online for $10.00 cheaper. >_<;; Itíll still work, but it looks a little goofy (and fits tightly). The jacket should hide the poor fit. Curves are coming along nicely, if I may say so myself. Pants are just a bit too baggy, but I figure I can dart them in around the waist to look a little sharper.

Killstick is still in its conception stage. Iím still weighing the costs between fiberglass finish, paper mache finish, or a plastic finish. I think Iíll be using dense insulation foam, carving the shape out of full blocks, then adding whatever hardening material. Itíll be easier because Iím doing mine a lot thinner and longer than Kairi Gís (which looks awesome!), to give it my own touch of flair. That way I can carve out the foam blocks for the handle, shoulder rest, etcetera.

Finally caught up on bills, so going to order my wig in the next couple of days, Iím still thinking femme fatal, and then using extensions to lengthen the tails. Iíll have to add extensions anyway to fill out the back of the wig, so if I do them just a little longer than average, they should fill out the length on the tails nicely.

Iíll also be ordering the materials for the pauldrons soon. Some of my friends saw the jacketís design sketch, and now want me to make armor for them! ^_^ If this design works out, Iíll be using the same patterns to make a capture the b33r Largo costume for NDK. Or work on the great Mission Impossible Boo. ^_^ So many characters, so little time.

So IF I can finish Pirokoís ph34r t3h cute ones on time, which alt Piroko costume should I work on next? Iíd like to be able to take two variations to the con, and re-use the wig. ^^

-Kuri "Pics coming as soon as my brother lends me his digital camera!"

Kairi G
01-22-2004, 05:41 PM
i cant wait to see your killstick kuri, i think you have a really good idea to use the insulation foam, i hope it works out for you.

Kaori-chan
01-26-2004, 07:08 PM
>>Of course! Your moral support and suggestions have been a huge help and inspiration.

Wai! (^_______________^)

And as for the finish on the killstick, I wish I had some advice to offer but I don't. Plastic is hard to find, paper-mache would probably be the easiest but seems like it would be really messy, and I've heard horror stories about fiberglass. But all three look great when done well, so yeah. You've lost me here....^^;;;;

Interesting tip: You know those "foamies" you buy in sheets at the craft store? NEVER put them in the oven! Tranquility and I conducted an "experiment" when working on a cosplay and the stuff shrinks to a fraction of its original size and gets really hard. The sculpey we put on top of it was all deformed too...how very odd. (o.O) And my wigs should get here in 2-3 days! WAI! Does anyone know how many packs of extensions I should buy for my Ping pigtails? I'm thinking about 3 if they're the size I saw in Sally's, that way I'm sure to have enough. But I'd rather have the guidance of someone who's actually bought them before.

kel
01-26-2004, 10:58 PM
And my wigs should get here in 2-3 days! WAI! Does anyone know how many packs of extensions I should buy for my Ping pigtails? I'm thinking about 3 if they're the size I saw in Sally's, that way I'm sure to have enough. But I'd rather have the guidance of someone who's actually bought them before.

Kaori-chan,

If you put up a quick post in the Wigs forum with a link to a good Ping pic and a link to whatever you've bought for the Ping wig already, the experts over there will probably be able to give you really good suggestions about that!

Kaori-chan
01-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks! I'll do that.

Kairi G
01-27-2004, 11:41 PM
good luck with your wig, i should prolly look into getting a wig for piroko since by the next convention i am gonna have yuna hair. anyone have any suggestions for a wig to get for piroko?

Kuri-chan
01-28-2004, 07:44 AM
Kaori-chan -
Didya ever get your wig? Has it come in yet? *hop*

Kairi G -
I'm -still- trying to decide which wig to order for Piroko. Unfortunatly, since it's an unusual design you have some work ahead of you. I'm looking at Amphigory's Femme Fatal and Enchantment.
-Femme Fatal is neat for the skin top, and you can cut the bangs, but you'll need to buy extentions to add to the back so you can have nice looking tails.
-Enchantment is extra long, so you can cut it to whatever length you like, and still have extra of the same color. The advantage is you don't need to buy extentions, and you can be sure it will be long enough.

I've been suffering from a bit of burn-out this week. Sleeves on the jacket dyed too dark, fabric got ragged around the edges, and then when I finally got the sleeves on, they were too short! >.< Prolly dyeing the rest of the fabric soon to match sleeves for collar and cuffs. Still need to order my materials for the armor, and more troubles than I can shake a stick at for the killstick. >_<;;

Fiberglass is just not going to work in time. It's too darn cold (I live in Utah. Cold winters, go figure!) to work in any place well ventelated. I can get the foam I want, but only en masse quantity. I could make 3 killsticks with the ammount of material they sell the stuff in! -_-;; So, bit pricey. Long and short - First killstick might not look as nice as I'd like it to. We'll see. If worse comes to worse, I'll stick with capture the b34r till next con. ^_-

My budget is getting a bit strained after I rekindeled an old romance with my PS2 (how Piro of me! ^^; ). OMG, SSX 3 - they should put a warning on that game. Still, more cosplay ideas for when I finish with Piroko. ^_-

-Kuri

waynekaa
01-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Alrighty people!
Now is the time for you with MT costumes to compete!
Our contest is now online
American Cosplay Paradise (http://www.acparadise.com)
There should be a very obvious link to the contest page from there.

For those of you who are working on your costumes, you have 4 weeks to complete them and get pictures and submit them.
Note you don't have to be an ACP cosplayer to enter this contest, just a registered member of ACP with a qualifying MT costume.
I.e. both girls AND guys can enter.

For those of you already on ACP, pick three of your best pictures PER costume and submit them through the contest submission. The contest display is independent from ACP.
Be sure to tell all your MT friends!

There's some pretty high stakes here. Grand Prizes will be ORIGINAL MegaTokyo Sketches drawn and autographed by Fred himself.

Kairi G
01-28-2004, 04:06 PM
YAY CONTEST TIME! im excited, i worked so hard to get that costume done in time for this contest!

waynekaa
01-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Rule Clarification regarding Character Choice:
"Official variations, such as gameworld avatars, beautified Ed, etc are allowed - in other words, if it's been in an MT strip, it's valid. "

Kaori-chan
01-29-2004, 07:45 PM
WHOO! CONTEST! *Needs to hurry up and get my Ping wig done*

>>Kaori-chan -
Didya ever get your wig? Has it come in yet? *hop*

Incidentally, it just came today! And it's SOOOO beautiful! It falls all the way down past my rear and is this beautiful silvery gray that shines white when the light hits it. *drools* I almost don't wanna ruin it by trying to put it into pigtails ^^;

Kuri-chan
01-30-2004, 07:31 AM
Woo woo! My first cosplay contest. Heh.

Ack! Under 4 weeks and counting, and I still havnít ordered my wig! >.<;; I donít know if Iíll be able to finish everything on time or not. -_-;; Weíll see how my time treats me. ^^;

>>Incidentally, it just came today! And it's SOOOO beautiful!

Yay! Ganbate Kaori-chan!
Does it style well, or will you be sewing more into the back to part it like I will?

So, trying to bite the bullet and order my wig today. Iím still torn on which to get! Argh. I checked on the plastic sheeting Iíll be using for pauldrons; Good news! They can ship in under a week. Bad news! It costs more to ship than to purchase ( >_<;; ) so I need to budget in shipping costs.

Iíve blueprinted the killstick lengthwise (Itís hooge!) so now I need to get over to home depot and buy the materials. Iím designing it more sniper rifle than bazooka (for ease of construction as much as anything else), and still trying to determine if itís warm enough to try to fiberglass the whole shebang (again, in under 4 weeks!!)

NEARLY done with the jacket! *hop* The oversized mandarin style collar is killing me design wise (Iím beginning to think Kairi G had the right idea with her thick armor rather than the armored jacket), but I should be able to finish it this weekend. The sleeves are too short and need an extension *grumble stupid womenís sizing grumble* and then I need to midriff the whole thing, otherwise it should be ready for the armored shoulders. Iíll get pics up as soon as I can steal away a camera.

So in 4 weeks, I get to finish the jacket, construct the killstick, build the armor, order-and-cut-and-style-and-modify the wig, modify the pants and leotard, and learn to put on the makeup. No pressure. ^^;;

-Kuri

Kairi G
01-30-2004, 04:32 PM
I managed to make my whole costume in just over 2 weeks, i think you can do it! COURAGE! you can do it! and im sure it will be supers!

also on another note, i found something super to fix my armwrap stuff. its that stretchy bandage stuff that sticks to itself, its used often on pets, but anyways, i found it in black so i am gonna rip of the fabric wraps and each time i wear the costume we will just wrap my arms once the leotard is on! GENIUS!!!!!! and it wasnt too expensive either! yays! but i gots to get some more pics once we do that for the contest. whoosh, i love contests!

daguru
01-31-2004, 03:55 PM
i came up with a question for waynekaa:
are there different catagories for the contest? like funniest, or best recreation?

if so, im goin for funniest ^_^

waynekaa
01-31-2004, 05:43 PM
i came up with a question for waynekaa:
are there different catagories for the contest? like funniest, or best recreation?

if so, im goin for funniest ^_^
I think we have craftsmanship, recreation and 1337-ness.
We might make up some other ones depending on how many sketches Fred draws.

Kairi G
01-31-2004, 10:25 PM
i think i already asked, but are any of you goin to Anime Boston?

waynekaa
02-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Just a reminder on the
American Cosplay Paradise MegaTokyo Contest (http://www.acparadise.com/contests.php)
If you've already put MegaTokyo costumes as a member of ACP, that's fine, but in order to be in the contest you have to fill out the MegaTokyo Contest Submission Form (http://www.acparadise.com/contests.php?mode=submit) because they go to a different location so that MegaTokyo.com can review them. Remember to tell all your MegaTokyo cosplay friends to enter too!

Kaori-chan
02-02-2004, 06:50 PM
>>Yay! Ganbate Kaori-chan!
Does it style well, or will you be sewing more into the back to part it like I will?

Arigatou! (^____^) I'll be adding extensions according to Katie Bair's tutorial. As soon as I can get my grandma to ship the order form. I wonder if she has yet? And kanekalon is always nice to work with. Though one of my wigs is being MEAN... (O__<)

>>So in 4 weeks, I get to finish the jacket, construct the killstick, build the armor, order-and-cut-and-style-and-modify the wig, modify the pants and leotard, and learn to put on the makeup. No pressure. ^^;;

GANBATTE KUDASAI YO KURI-CHAN! *JUmps up and down and waves signs with various catchy encouraging slogans on them* You can do it! I have a month to do pretty much that amount of work on another costume so I know how you feel.

>>Re: contest

Kyaa, I NEED TO GET STARTED! Dumb extensions. I hope DrLocks ships quickly. I can at least style the FRONT of the wig though. *will try to start that tomorrow* Trying to do three wigs and a complicated costume at one time, all before March is not very fun. One month.... *mental breakdown. Again.*

ssmitty
02-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Everyone's so excited! Hmm, it must be crunch time for Megatokyo...I'm still waiting on my bf to finish my Killstick....but I've got a prelim pic of Piroko's wig up...Good Luck, everyone!
Dr. Locks usually ships pretty fast as long as the items are in stock!

Kairi G
02-11-2004, 07:29 PM
fixed up piroko and i got new pictures of it, done by a professional photographer friend of mine! they came out fabulous! we took them in a wonderful warehouse setting, since i was going for a look like the one on the "ph34r teh cute ones" poster. It was great that we got to use this place (it was actually the place where my dance teacher has her dog agility training, in a warehouse). i cant wait to post these pictures, and im gonna use one of them for the AC paradise contest. unfortunatly tho, i wont have them until next week, since im going away tomorrow. oh well, i cant wait! ill post em as soon as i get them.

daguru
02-12-2004, 03:01 PM
im finished! I'll have pics up on monday (after Katsucon). *wipes off sweat* geez, shaving your legs for the first time takes a looooooong time. I was in the shower for about 3-4 hours and got cut 5-6 times!

Kuri-chan
02-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Wow, been a while since I updated. ^^;

Received my wig from Amphigory (itís awesome!), and will start work on that as soon as I get a free moment. Amphigory.com was excellent by the way. Best customer service Iíve ever received from an online store.

Jacket is nearly complete, even if the collar wasnít all I was hoping it would be. ^^;;

Unfortunately, I have to put the project on hold from there. I havenít ordered wig extensions yet, havenít gotten ANY materials for the Killstick yet, still need to finish curves and adjusting the pants and leotard. I ran into a killer financial crunch, so Iíve canceled my trip to Anime Oasis, and any other cons at least till June. ;_;

Iíll keep updating (and finally add pictures) as I am able, but it may be a while. -_-;; This isnít an inexpensive hobby, nea.

Good luck everyone on the MegaTokyo cosplay contest! Iíll be rooting for you, even if I canít participate. Maybe Iíll perfect the costume, then enter next time around. ^_^

Ganbate!

Kairi, I canít wait to see the photoís of Piroko in the warehouse. ^^

Kaori-chan, good luck finishing everything! Donít burn yourself out on doing too much! ^^;

Ssmitty, your wig looks great! ^_^ Good luck on the contest, I canít wait to see the completed costume.

Daguru, have fun at Katsucon, canít wait to see the pictures! If youíre shaving a few days beforehand, donít forget to shave again. And donít overlook moisturizer! Your first time shaving your legs you WILL get ingrown hairs. They itch! Moisturizer in liberal amounts helps lots (or you can just keep shaving!) It gets easier with practice. ^_-

-Kuri

waynekaa
02-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Good luck everyone on the MegaTokyo cosplay contest! Iíll be rooting for you, even if I canít participate. Maybe Iíll perfect the costume, then enter next time around. ^_^
-Kuri
You should keep working at it!
I have a feeling that we're going to need to extend the deadline because Fred needs time to draw the prizes. ^_^;;;;
Keep checking the contest page for updates but it's looking already that we'll extend.
And you know how MegaTokyo is with deadlines, and since this one is more or less voluntary, it can be extended without a problem. So keep working at it!

Kaori-chan
02-14-2004, 06:40 PM
>>Kaori-chan, good luck finishing everything! Donít burn yourself out on doing too much! ^^;

Thanks! I'll try not to, but with about half a month (YEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!) To do all the stuff I need to do, I'll just be happy to be on my feet and conscious enough to know what's going on by the time MegaCon rolls around. ^^; Having more than $5 for food and spending money for four days would also be good. (~_______~)

>>You should keep working at it!
I have a feeling that we're going to need to extend the deadline because Fred needs time to draw the prizes. ^_^;;;;
Keep checking the contest page for updates but it's looking already that we'll extend.
And you know how MegaTokyo is with deadlines, and since this one is more or less voluntary, it can be extended without a problem. So keep working at it!

Yay, that leaves me more time to get pics that aren't blurry! I took a whole bunch of pics but they all came out really blurry. Oh well, I'll post the better ones anyway. Check my gally in a bit because I should have them up soon! (^.^)

I decided to forego the extensions in my Ping wig, but this is because of a couple of very inconvenient problems:
1. I wouldn't have time to order and do the extensions AND make the deadline for MegaCon, let alone the MT contest.
2. The back of the wig is done in such a way that I would need to add hair all along the back in order to keep from exposing the netting. Not gonna happen.

But Ping has worn her hair down before, so it should be fine. It's also fun wearing that long wig loose cause the hair is all floaty and stuff. ^^; *is easily amused*

EDIT: Ping pics are up in my gally! Go look! Go look! And sorry for the blurriness....... ^^;

daguru
02-16-2004, 02:03 PM
wayne-
times runnin' out for the contest. ACP won't let me register. i tried to activate it with username "daguru" and email "bkbbunghole@yahoo.com" it keeps saying that my accout is inactive. what do i do?

waynekaa
02-16-2004, 03:11 PM
wayne-
times runnin' out for the contest. ACP won't let me register. i tried to activate it with username "daguru" and email "bkbbunghole@yahoo.com" it keeps saying that my accout is inactive. what do i do?
How about, the problems' already been fixed.
^_^ You are now activated.

Kairi G
02-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Kaori-chan!
Your Ping costume looks great, youve got some really nice pics of it! I should have the new pics of my Piroko by tomorrow, ill post them as soon as i got them!

Kairi G
02-18-2004, 01:57 PM
ok guys pics are up of my improved Piroko, in the fun warehouse setting, i love on location photoshoots! such great pics of the costume!

Kaori-chan
02-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Kairi G, thanks for the compliments! Your Piroko costume looks great! (^__^)

daguru
02-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Well, I got pics up of my largo "outfit". WARNING!!!: it's kinda scary O.O

Kaori-chan
02-19-2004, 08:38 PM
LOL Daguru that's a great costume! I'm impressed and at the same time veeeery frightened XD. Exactly the desired effect of a Largo costume, in my opinion. ^^; Good job! *pokes you with the hypothetical telephone pole I have yet to make*

Kairi G
02-19-2004, 11:03 PM
holy crap...... im in ph34r!!! much fear! but so damn cool, the comp is awsome!

daguru
02-26-2004, 10:37 PM
hmmm, all my n3kkid pics have been deleted? i didn't do that! is there some rule against it? then how come Anya gets to have Faye's bathing suit and I can't be n3kkid?!? ......not that i would know of Anya's bathing suit :eeek:

Kairi G
02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
if some one reported your costume as being inappropriate, then they can take it off, but yes, it is sometimes a bit unfair, because some people are just never reported it seems. you should keep the pics of the comp up tho, because then people can at least see that part of the costume.

Kaori-chan
03-09-2004, 07:13 PM
MEGACON WAS AWESOME!!!! Sorry I haven't been on in so long, but I've just been really busy. BUT! I have MT-related news! Tranquility and I cosplayed MT to Megacon, where Piro and Seraphim were guests! They are both SO nice! It was great being able to talk to them. I bought tons of MT stuff (go figure :P by the way, those flapdoozy bags RULE!) Serapim and Piro signed mt MT book 2, and Piro also drew Ping in it! :D It was an awesome con. Alot of ppl seemed to recognize us, or at least like our costumes. I'll have pics up in a bit.

Kairi G
03-10-2004, 10:37 AM
thats awsome! i wish i could get to a con that they were gonna be at! and its great that people recognize you. i didnt have a high recognition rate, but then that was at a small con and people still thought it was damn cool that i had a Killstick!

Kaori-chan
03-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Be sure to check back with MT frequently; Piro had said in one of his rants earlier that he was gonna have video footage, and he videotaped Tranquility6487 and me! You'll have to look for it when he gets it posted. :D

waynekaa
03-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Last call on the MegaTokyo contest!
It ends on March 31, 2004, so all you last minute stragglers get on in!

Alrighty people!
Now is the time for you with MT costumes to compete!
Our contest is now online
American Cosplay Paradise (http://www.acparadise.com)
There should be a very obvious link to the contest page from there.
There's some pretty high stakes here. Grand Prizes will be ORIGINAL MegaTokyo Sketches drawn and autographed by Fred himself.

Kairi G
03-25-2004, 03:18 PM
yay, i cant wait to know who wins!

ssmitty
03-25-2004, 03:53 PM
still waiting for the BF to paint the killstick....X_X
Otherwise the rest of it's done. ^________^

Kaori-chan
03-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks for reminding me, Waynekaa! As soon as I saw your reminder in the update email I sped on down there and registered! I would have totally missed it too..... (x___X);;; Anyways, I'll be posting Megacon pics soon (the upload image part of cosplay.com DOES NOT like me at all), so I'll let you know when I get them up! Good luck to everyone who entered! (^_~)\/

waynekaa
03-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks for reminding me, Waynekaa! As soon as I saw your reminder in the update email I sped on down there and registered! I would have totally missed it too..... (x___X);;; Anyways, I'll be posting Megacon pics soon (the upload image part of cosplay.com DOES NOT like me at all), so I'll let you know when I get them up! Good luck to everyone who entered! (^_~)\/
Cool! Good thing I put in the reminder.
Good luck to all of you!

Kaori-chan
03-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Megacon pics up in my gallery! Go see :D

waynekaa
03-31-2004, 02:51 PM
Okay all your last minute types (been getting more of those than I expected)
Today's the last day!
Then off to Fred & co to judge (who knows when he'll get to it with all his backlog and deadlines)
BTW, Kaori-chan, you should replace one of your current ACP picts with your Ping with the wig pic.

ssmitty
03-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Okay all your last minute types (been getting more of those than I expected)
Today's the last day!
Then off to Fred & co to judge (who knows when he'll get to it with all his backlog and deadlines)
BTW, Kaori-chan, you should replace one of your current ACP picts with your Ping with the wig pic.

Just sent them in! the killstick took forever....'cause my bf's s...l...o...w...

Kuri-chan
04-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Wow, long time since I chimed inÖ

Kaori-chan Ė Love the pics from Megacon! Tell your Miho friend she looks great too. ^^

ssmitty - O.O Ohmygosh! I just saw the Piroko pics in your gallery... wow! Well done! ^.^

(Between ssmitty and Kairi G, I've got my work cut out for me...)

Due to unfortunate financial turmoil, I had to put my Piroko project on a perpetual hold, and still holding. >.<;; Very sadÖ I havenít even had the heart to work on what I do have, since Iím still missing so many pieces and canít afford the materials yet.

I wish I could enter the contest, but didnít make it this time around. I wish you all the best of luck, and thanks again for waynekaa for organizing this event, even if I couldnít participate. Iíll be cheering for you all from the sidelines, and take some extra time to perfect mine. Maybe I can enter if thereís another contest! ^.^

Anyway, good luck everyone! Ganbate!!

-Kuri

Giant Alucard
04-02-2004, 02:05 PM
I was going to enter the contest but my junpei costume wouldn't count since I put angel wings and stuff on it, lol. I'm going to start on a new junpei costume soon and hopefully I can make a wig for it to.

Kaori-chan
04-04-2004, 06:28 PM
>>BTW, Kaori-chan, you should replace one of your current ACP picts with your Ping with the wig pic.

Yeah, I kept meaning to do that. Thanks for the reminder. ^^

>>Kaori-chan Ė Love the pics from Megacon! Tell your Miho friend she looks great too. ^^

Thanks! I'll have to tell her to come back to the forums so she can read it for herself. I wonder where she's been lately....

daguru
04-05-2004, 02:05 PM
*still waiting*

It'd be funner waiting for the verdicts if there was some sort of gallery of the entrants.

Lollipop
04-05-2004, 02:30 PM
ooo i wuv megatokyo!!! ITd be really cool 2 see someone cosplay from it ^-^ MT cosplayers, I WILL FIND U!!!!!!

Kaori-chan
04-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Just look in all of our galleries, Lollipop! You'll find tons of MT cosplays! (^____^) Tranquility6487 also has a picture of her and me with Piro and Seraphim from when we met them at Megacon. Hehe.. (^^)

Well, I'm off to AC Paradise to check the status of the contest! Whooosh!

kukuty8700
04-20-2004, 10:43 PM
I want to do a megatokyo cosplay but I have no idea where to start!! I was going to dress my hampster up as Boo and enter him in the acparadise.com XD ok ok so maybe that's going a little far. I wouldnt have been able to do it anyway major biting issues >.<!!!
p.s.
Woah!! That's a massive response to megatokyo!!^-^ They haven't released the first megatokyo re-issue!!!!!!!!!!! Not here atleast T-T my town is a lame town that is slow on the uptake.

Kairi G
04-21-2004, 03:57 PM
if you want a really exciting MT costume, look back thru Freds DPD art pictures, or do one of the poster costumes. there are a surprising number of reference pics for most costumes you could want to do.
and guess wat guys, i have decided which MT costume im doin next, im gonna do the Pirogoeth from the poster, with the armor and the awesome sword, i am not sure when i will start this project tho, i already have too much to do before otakon, which is the next big con im headed to.

Kaori-chan
04-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh, that should be a good one! There's a Megatokyo costume I really wanna do but I don't wanna say what it is till I start it (which will be a long time from now most likely) for fear of someone stealing it from me. Not that I don't trust you guys, but I'm just overprotective like that. It'll be cool though, so yay for mystery costumes! ^^

Kairi G
04-22-2004, 07:25 PM
thats always exciting. secret projects always make me feel sneaky and crafty...therefore more fun....hehehe awesome i cant wait to see what you got planned Kaori-chan!

Kaori-chan
04-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Hehe...^^ Hopefully it won't be secret for long, if you know what I mean. That's after getting done with Zelda/Gerudo group, plus a giant Naruto group for Metrocon. So it may be awhile, unfortunately. I'll get started ASAP though! ^^

Kairi G
04-26-2004, 03:55 PM
hmm i was doing some more researching into the pirogoeth costume, when i remembered something fun. At the end of the second volume of megatokyo there is a short story with additional art about the Pirogoeth and largo characters. and so i was super excited cuz i have many more fun pictures now! as well as more character info!

Kaori-chan
04-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Oooh, I liked that story. Largo's sword is cool, especially. Hehe. But yeah, that can be really helpful for Pirogoeth cosplayers. Why didn't I think of that? ^^;

Kairi G
04-26-2004, 06:25 PM
im really getting excited about doing that costume, i think i can manage to do a pretty decent job of it too, ive been thinkin a lot about methods to do armor, and think ive got a good idea for it. ooooohhhhhh i cant wait to do this costume!

Kaori-chan
04-26-2004, 06:28 PM
I can't wait to see it! Coming from you, I'm sure it'll be great! :D

Hehe....You're making me want to go right now and do all the stuff I need to do on my costumes. Why is it that the only times I'm really excited about making stuff is when I'm at my apartment, where I have absolutely nothing cosplay-ish? One thing that isn't good about living in two different places at once, lol.... ^^; Oh well. I'll just have to make sure to get lots done when I'm over at my grandma's where I have the huge cosplay work table and my dad has his power tools in the garage X3

Kairi G
04-26-2004, 07:25 PM
hehe thanks. its making me wanna go out and get stuff to do it too! but i have like no money to my name right now. very in debt from other cosplay and dress making needs. and well, splurging on awesome clothes on sale (but in large quantitys, its still adds up ><) I am expecting Pirogoeth to be not terribly cheap, but hopefully not too expensive. and teh hardest part i can see now is going to be the armor, but ive been thinking it through a lot and i think ive got it figured out. I really want to be able to do the sword, but i will prolly have to make that as well, since most cons have rules against having live steel, even if it isnt sharp. i think i can do the sword out of wood or my handy dandy foam core method. The very icky part about cost is i am definatly gonna have to get a wig this time, since my hair is much shorter now, oh sigh, that is gonna be the expensive part. i almost wish that i could use this one for a masquerade, cuz then i would be working on it now, but i am already also buying material for my Sora (escaflowne) for otakon, if i have time and money Pirogoeth will get done for otakon as well.

Kaori-chan
04-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Eeek, I know how the cash situation feels. I hope you get everything you need soon (^__^)

Kairi G
04-27-2004, 05:54 PM
oh well, hey, is there anyone else working on stuff now? there seems to be lack of talk about it! that makes me sad! get workin guys!!!

Kaori-chan
04-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Perhaps it's cause we're all waiting in breathless anticipation for the results of the contest? *shrugs* I know I'm ready to find out who won. I wish ACP had some kind of gallery or something to show all the entrants.

Mystic Blossom
05-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Gah, I found this wonderful thread! I made Broken Miho for AB 2004, and I was with a few other MT cosplayers. I made msot of my friend's Ping costume, her bf was Asmodeus, and her younger sister was Boo 2.0. Unfortunately, none of us were together at the same time, so I don't have any group shots of all four of us. But it was great that people recognized me! I was surprised they recognized Ping, since we made her first dress, which was never colored, so we just picked our own random colors. But Ping made my wings and they came out great! I was so happy! *^^*

Kaori-chan
05-04-2004, 04:45 PM
You need to get pics up, I wanna see! :D

EDIT: You like my new avatar? Hehe....That pic's from Megacon, btw.

Kairi G
05-04-2004, 04:48 PM
theres a pic of Mystic Blossom in my gallery, her and me in my wedding yuna costume. Tis too bad that i couldnt bring Piroko to Boston, we could have had some funs with photos and such, but it is too bad that you and liza and max werent ever together for picture opportunities, you were all super!

Kaori-chan
05-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Oh, okay. Those are both really nice costumes. (^_^)

Mystic Blossom
05-04-2004, 05:58 PM
theres a pic of Mystic Blossom in my gallery, her and me in my wedding yuna costume. Tis too bad that i couldnt bring Piroko to Boston, we could have had some funs with photos and such, but it is too bad that you and liza and max werent ever together for picture opportunities, you were all super!

Aw thanks, Kairi. Did you see Max wearing his Asmodeus jacket to school today?

Kairi G
05-04-2004, 07:36 PM
hehe yea that was awesome, and i finally got a chance to really look at his wings, they were fabulous!!! i was so proud of him and his mom. i wish we had pics of them to put up here to show off!

pyrosam
05-04-2004, 07:43 PM
hey kaori chan...

hey guys I was a failed attempt of piro at mega con and my freind lloyd was GTL!!! no zombies no monkeys no sleeping and no smorking.... yay great teacher largo... I think I need to work on my "kite" shirt.... it was all droopy...

kawaii_mon
05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
OMG Kairi G, your Piroko is awesome! i'm in the planning stages of making a Piroko for myself, and a Largo for my bf... should look good if all works out, but its at the back of my list of things to make.. gah! have too many ideas and am doing too many costumes at once! lol and i'm from australia, so we don't have many cons here - limited places to cosplay. i think i need to organise a cosplay ball and a cosplay picnic.

Kairi G
05-05-2004, 02:25 PM
thanks much Kawaii mon! it was an awesome costume to make, definatly one of my most enjoyable cosplay experiences. and actually me and my bf have talked about making him a largo costume too, but he doesnt live near me any more, so going to cons together is tough, let alone making him teh costume. oh well, that would have been fun, but hes also kinda lazy, so it prolly wouldnt get done. :P

Giant Alucard
05-05-2004, 02:29 PM
question for those who've read the recent comics::

Does Junpei now wear a trench coat, or is it just a regular coat???