PDA

View Full Version : What is Katsucon like?

Aya Mizu
10-09-2002, 02:10 PM
Hi! ^_^ I'm thinking of going to this con for the first time and I'd love some advice or insight about what people think of this con. Plus, I'm a West Coaster, so I'm more used to cons like Fanime and AX. Thanks! :D

Celine
10-09-2002, 09:04 PM
I only went last year, and although it's nowhere near the size of AX, it's a decent-sized con. There were tons of awesome cosplayers, and it was nice being able to attend a con during the winter! The only problems I had were with the location (cramped hotel) and staff (waaaaay too strict). Overall, it was an excellent experience and I'm hoping to go back next year!

Aya Mizu
10-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Oooh Sounds quite spiffy! XD
I look forward to going then ^_^ Gah, need to book a room then! LOL
Thanks for info! :D

Lady_Sephiroth
10-13-2002, 12:51 PM
The hotel Katsucon is going to be at this year is much necer about con-goers than last year's hotel. The Hyatt has a great layout and hs had Katsucon there before so they know what to expect. Katsucon is a great con, I recommend it!

Aya Mizu
10-15-2002, 07:21 PM
Wai wai ^_^ I've liked all the Hyatt's I've stayed at so far, and so many cool people are going, so I can't wait for this con! Thank goodness for the time in between now and then to make costumes though! LOL:crylaugh:

hichan
10-16-2002, 01:21 AM
ouuuuu which hotel is katsu going to be in?

*__*

*plotting*

Kamui Motoaki
10-16-2002, 01:29 AM
Katsu back in Crystal City! YAY!!
It'll be in the . . oh crap. .i forgot. .
*runs and looks*
Hyatt Regency. . wait. .
*looks at above post. .*
d'oh someone already said it. .LoL. .^_^
Katsu was my very first con ever!!! like. .4 1/2 years ago. .LoL. .
I love it!!!!! EVERYONE GO GO GO GO ITS SO FUN!!!!!

hichan
10-16-2002, 03:23 AM
crystal city sounds pretty! *_*

hyatt regency... hmmmm i wonder.... *goes to bug uncle this week* XD

if my uncle can help me with my hotel room... i'm definetly going to katsu!

and <_< is it cold there? *has only been to humid florida on the east coast*

Iori E
10-16-2002, 03:34 AM
According to The Weather Channel website, it's quite common for the temperature to reach the freezing point in the area at that time of year. >_o

Ummm... it's warm in the hotel, right?

Kamui Motoaki
10-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Katsu is usually around Valentines day. .^_~
so find someone you care for to snuggle up with!

heheha seiously though. . i can see it getting rather hot in the hotel. . . cause this con is getting quite big. .~_~*

Aya Mizu
10-16-2002, 02:09 PM
Heehee, yay we won't freeze so long as we stay in the hotel ^_^ o_o It's going in and out of it that I worry about.

*Gets out the coats from storage* :thumbsup:

Iori E
10-16-2002, 02:19 PM
This is the way I see it:

1.) Fly to Reagan Int'l
2.) Step outside Reagan Int'l and IMMEDIATELY call taxi
3.) RUN all the way from taxi into hotel
4.) Stay inside hotel AT ALL TIMES for 3 days
5.) RUN all the way from hotel into taxi
6.) RUN all the way from taxi into Reagan Int'l
7.) Fly back to warm, sunny SoCal

Sound good?

Aya Mizu
10-16-2002, 02:38 PM
*Laughing*

Beautiful plan! I'll probably follow it exactly too! :D

Keurblitz
10-16-2002, 02:39 PM
-_- and I'm planning to drive there.... hopefully it doesn't snow or hail and I'm fine....

Iori E
10-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Wait... is it Reagan International Airport or Reagan National Airport? I keep forgetting...

Will suggested another airport for cheaper rates (I can't remember the name of the airport). But we would have to drive for an hour and a half... >_<

Keurblitz
10-16-2002, 03:41 PM
Hm....

Travelling options:

Plane:
From LaGuardia Airport (New York) to National Airport & vice versa: $126

Coach Bus:
GreyHournd (New York) to Arlington, VA & vice versa: $98

By Car:
Gas + Tolls @ $50

Aya Mizu
10-16-2002, 04:22 PM
I don't know about you, but I just want to be at the airport closest to the hotel o_O;

hichan
10-16-2002, 06:41 PM
whichever is closest is best...

taxi fees and shuttle buses would add to the amount of cheapness of airport but further O_O

*studies*

Aya Mizu
10-16-2002, 07:11 PM
Yeah and less time freezing from the point you leave the airport to the point you arrive in the hotel :D

Ayaka
10-16-2002, 09:50 PM
Hahah I'm coming from Chicago. Winter? Pff. The cold fears ME. *Naga laugh* Maybe I should carry some "goodwill gloves" to pass out to poor cold Californians.

Iori E
10-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Here's another question: When's the best time to depart? Ihave 3 options...

1.) Morning/afternoon, Thursday

PRO: Doing this means I'd be fully prepared for all kinds of Katsucon fun early the next day.
CON (no, not that kind of con... :p ): Doing this means spending an extra night in a hotel... which means spending more money.

2.) Late night, Thursday/Friday

PRO: Doing this would mean I'd get to Crystal City on Friday morning, and spend only 2 nights at the hotel.
CON: I would have to fly throughout the night and the morning, which means no sleep at all. I don't think my body can take that.

3.) Early/mid-Morning, Friday

PRO: This would be the healthiest and most comfortable option, for both me and my wallet.
CON: If I do this, I just missed most of Katsucon Friday. (There's a 3-hour difference between the time zones and everything...)

What would you do?

The best airline rate I found so far is $311... and that's if I choose Option #2 above...

Keurblitz
10-16-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Iori E
Here's another question: When's the best time to depart? Ihave 3 options...

1.) Morning/afternoon, Thursday

PRO: Doing this means I'd be fully prepared for all kinds of Katsucon fun early the next day.
CON (no, not that kind of con... :p ): Doing this means spending an extra night in a hotel... which means spending more money.

PRO: Doing this would mean I'd get to Crystal City on Friday morning, and spend only 2 nights at the hotel.
CON: I would have to fly throughout the night and the morning, which means no sleep at all. I don't think my body can take that.

3.) Early/mid-Morning, Friday

PRO: This would be the healthiest and most comfortable option, for both me and my wallet.
CON: If I do this, I just missed most of Katsucon Friday. (There's a 3-hour difference between the time zones and everything...)

What would you do?

The best airline rate I found so far is $311... and that's if I choose Option #2 above...

I would do Option #2 if I was you. Then again, if you're going to room w/ people, then go with option #1 because, you're spending so much on plane tickets and con expenses already, what's another $45 towards the whole sum?

Aya Mizu
10-17-2002, 01:28 AM
Here's another question: When's the best time to depart?

I've done this flight to NY over the summer and as harsh as it is in terms of lack of sleep and rest, I've found it MUCH more easier to bear in getting to the airport in time (especially LAX - it was lovely to see it all nice and empty for once ^^) and you still get all of Friday to rest up at the hotel and stuff. Of course, you are exhausted most of Friday because of the jetlag, so it's really up to you on how you think you can do.

Ayaka
10-17-2002, 02:22 AM
I recommend #1. (Yeah, all you really wanted was a consensus, right? ^^;; )
That's what I did going the other direction; I honestly never have trouble with jetlag, I think because my natural schedule is totally nonsensical to begin with . . . however, MOST people do have serious jetlag problems. Spend the extra money, hard as it is to part with, because if you're exhausted the whole time, you're not getting your money's worth anyway. Maybe if you're REALLY nice, someone will let you crash in their hotel room that night at a discount. ^^ (Well, I let someone do that the night before AX officially began . . .)

Iori E
10-18-2002, 12:54 AM
Yeah... I figured no one would pick Option #3... :P

It's most likely that I'll be rooming alone. So I don't want to choose Option #1 just yet. But it seems that I might have to... -_-

BTW, how do you people feel about connecting flights? Certainly direct flights are better, but should I go with connecting flights if there's not really much else that fits the schedule?

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

Studmaster
10-18-2002, 01:13 AM
I would pick number 1 to be honest Iori E. Whenever I travel out of state for Conventions I always leave the day before the Convention starts and set it aside as my travel day. I find that I'm much more refreshed that way when the con begins and I'm able to go to bed early and get a early start on the Convention. And if the Con is smart they will allow you pick up your badge early.

Studmaster
10-18-2002, 01:18 AM

BTW, how do you people feel about connecting flights? Certainly direct flights are better, but should I go with connecting flights if there's not really much else that fits the schedule?

Well, connecting Flights is better for another reason as well. They tend to be cheaper. When I went to A-Kon in 2001 a Flight from NY to Dallas was $334. A Flight from NY to St Louis and then Dallas was $279. So you may get lucky and get a cheaper fare this way, and if you don't mind sitting in a Transfer Airport for a couple of hours, then check it out.

Celine
10-18-2002, 07:00 AM

Dude, I would totally go with option #3. Then again, I'm a starving college student and that's the only way I can afford cons. I'm not arriving at Nekocon until 2:30pm Friday, because that was the flight I got for a really cheap price. ^^

You should definitely go with connecting flights if they are significantly cheaper or the only way to get there at the time you want. Most stopovers are about an hour long, which is actually not bad if you consider the fact that boarding times are about half an hour before departure times.

As another note, you can often find cheaper flights as time gets closer. I know that everyone is told to book farther in advance, but this is a lie! 6 weeks or so beforehand is the ideal time. Sometimes, you can get the best deals if you wait until 1 or 2 weeks before.

Ayaka
10-20-2002, 12:59 AM
Connecting flights can be EVIL. Just as a warning. :P There are all sorts of delays that can happen, and delays may mean that you're running from one plane to another instead of an hour stopover, OR that the plane you were supposed to be on is cancelled and you suddenly can't leave for another 8 hours. My father is a business traveller, and that sort of thing has happened to him a fair amount . . . I'm just saying, if you're doing connecting flights to save money, do be careful to get in, well, rather absurdly early if you can, because you may get significantly delayed . . . *shrug* Just thought someone should mention the other side of travelling that way. (I'm not honestly a pessimist, you probably wouldn't have any problems. ^^)

kitty_neko
10-20-2002, 12:06 PM
its possible that i possibly might be coming maybe.
my plans r really unconfirmed yet so ill have to wait and see......
*prays to the god of cosplay the she can go*

rpd_girl
10-21-2002, 01:18 AM
wants to go to the Katsucon, to keep my mind off of Valentine's day..... gives me something to do since my bf is moving to Japan!!!! SO sad! Can't wait to move there though. Heard Katsucon is good though... I am glad... I dunna want to spend money at an iffy con.

Mandy Mitchell
10-21-2002, 11:28 PM
I would like to attend Katsucon some day. So far I've only been to cons up and down the West Coast. I've heard so many good things about Katsu. In California, we don't really have any cons in the winter season.

The only real drawback about connections is that it can take up a lot of time. I think Option #1 is best if you're flying to a con. You really need an extra day to recuperate. I usually pick Option #3 if I'm driving to a nearby con.

Aya Mizu
10-22-2002, 12:11 AM
Ouuu Mandy, you should go with us in February :D heehee

Iori E
10-22-2002, 12:30 AM
Say, anybody in SoCal want to plan this trip with me? Just the airline and the transportation (not necessarily the hotel, although that could be an option if anyone wants to stay there on Thursday night).
I'd have a better chance of convincing my mom to let me go if she knew I wouldn't be going alone. Plus I'd like the company, seeing how I've never been to the East Coast in my life...

zephy
10-22-2002, 12:46 AM
Its actually kinda amusing to watch all of you west coast warm weather spoiled people cowering over the idea of 30 degree weather! :) I'm from Philly and its not THAT bad here. February is a weird time that it might be 50 degrees out, or it might be 15, you never know.If you're extra sensitive to cold, well, besides staying in doors, just wear a heavy coat, preferrably one that will block the wind. Thats the only thing that'll really get you . And you most probably wont have to worry about snow, so thats not a problem either. if you're going to be outside for long periods of time, at least wear gloves and maybe a scarf or hat if its cold. you're poor hands and ears will thank you later !

I'd go, seeing as its not that far away from Philly to the DC area,but alas I am a starving college student (literally: I've been eating instant ramen for the past week ^^;;;;;; ) and cannot afford the trip there . But you guys can live it for me in spirit!

Oshi
10-22-2002, 02:08 AM
Yeah Philly! *is a suburbanite*
Ahh, how I hope it snows for Katsu... I will make a note to peg every warm-loving west coaster with a snowball u.u

And then run like hell u.u

Aya Mizu
10-22-2002, 02:11 AM
*Frowns*

Uh, anyway. I do hope to meet some of the lovely East Coasters, meet up with some friends whom I haven't seen since last AX *nudges Elfie :D* and I definitely look forward to seeing the cosplay there :)

Ennui
10-22-2002, 02:18 AM
for each snowball, i'll be sure to return a nice west coast style ass kicking =D

Iori E
10-22-2002, 02:19 AM
So you're going to go all the way outside of the hotel into the street, gather enough snow for a ball, run all the way back inside, look for that one West Coaster among hundreds of Katsucon attendees, aim so you don't make sure you don't hit innocent bystanders, and throw?

That's a lot of trouble just to spite a West Coaster... :o

YEAH MATT! HE GOTZ MUH ACE! XD

zephy
10-22-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Oshi
Yeah Philly! *is a suburbanite*
Ahh, how I hope it snows for Katsu... I will make a note to peg every warm-loving west coaster with a snowball u.u

And then run like hell u.u

Where are you from? I'm normally from Bristol (Northeast suburbs), but Got to Temple and live here on campus while I'm in school :D

Oh and as for snowball throwing, just make sure you dont hit the native easterners. We've perfected Snowball throwing to a fine art. Ah the days of misspent childhood....... *sighs* Snowball fights with my brothers, being hit by the snowball with the chunk of ice in the middle, hitching rides on car bumpers and sledding down the streets, avoiding the yellow snow. oh so many memories

Ayaka
10-22-2002, 12:14 PM
As a Midwesterner, I guess it will be my duty to mediate between the East and West . . . *sits down and watches, sure to dodge any stray snowballs* Heh. ^^

But. If it does snow, and people start chucking snowballs, expect my wrath. No taking out the West Coast people. Or hitting anyone you don't know. I expect you to ask politely. ^^ ("Can I throw a snowball at you?" "Eh, why not." *whap*)

Mandy Mitchell
10-23-2002, 01:20 AM
Aya, I think I might like to go to Katsu considering the fact that you and others are planning to go there. My best friend from college is also planning to attend Katsu and I haven't seen her since AX2001!

Aya Mizu
10-23-2002, 02:11 AM
Wai wai ^_^
We should definitely talk more about that soon! :D

hichan
10-23-2002, 03:01 AM
LOL dude... i hate the cold... just cause i hate wearing pants.

now here in cali... we get to wear booty shorts... otherwise known as hotpants!!!

ok that was totally random, but! it's also funny seeing people die in 80+degree weather XD i love the hot weather!

ahhh... but ;_; to packing for cons... it's such a hassle scrunching everything into suitcases ;_;

Ennui
10-23-2002, 11:12 AM
Boo to hot weather! Boo to the sun! Boo to throwing snow at us!

zephy
10-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Gotta love living in a temperate climate.... cold and snowy during the winter, hot and humid during the summer. While its goood to know how to get used to varying climates, you have to spend a fortune on wardrobes for both the brutal hot days of summer (grrr, stupid heat waves that last for weeks -_- even worse when you live in the city) or for the brutal cold days of winter (snow boots anyone? heavy winter coats? sweaters?)

hmm... it WOULD be interesting if it snowed for katsucon....I could make some type of costume that would blend in with it, like some kind of fuzzy furry wintery fairy type thing. who knows.

dragonessa
10-23-2002, 11:01 PM
I'm from an undisclosed location in Delaware!

so i am relatively close to Baltimore. ah, it would be my first con, oiy, hopefully i will have a costume by then

:thumbsup:

hichan
10-24-2002, 01:22 AM
don't worry matto! if anyone tries throwing snowballs at us...

i'll just do a flying jump kick and send it right back with my super powers! *glows*

Iori E
10-24-2002, 01:28 AM
Actually, Katsucon moved back to Arlington, Va.

If Oshi dares to throw a snowball at me, I'll melt it before it even gets to me with my super-warm SoCal aura...
...of course, then a stream of water will be flying my way. Oh well, at least it's not cold...

Ennui
10-24-2002, 01:32 AM
LOL @ kimi XD

and then you could bust out some awesome wushu moves!!!

show them east coasters whats up! XD

Lilli
10-24-2002, 12:23 PM
._. You know... I keep forgetting. Febuary. Virginia. Katsucon. *chibi-wails* I HAAAAATE COLD WEATHER! Seriously. I've lived in happy fun shiny warm places, like Florida and Las Vegas. And I've also lived in Missouri, where in the winter you're encased in ice and in the summer, it's a living sauna outside. And then I've lived in places like New Hampshire, land of the Never-Rising-Sun, where last year, we had 80 inches of snow. That's not a typo. EIGHTY inches of SNOW. (Can we all guess why I moved to Las Vegas, now?)

*ahem* After lengthy exposure to varying climates... I've formed a pretty stable opinion... Which is, I FREAKIN HATE COLD WEATHER!!

There are a few factors that contribute to that, but won't be listed here, because I don't feel like whining about them just now. But anything below 80, and YES, I'm COLD. Does that make me a wuss? No. I survived years in Missouri where you get -60 windchills. I survived a Utah winter or two. And I survived 4 years of New Hampshire, where when it goes anything above 80, people pack themselves in ice, and announce red alerts, for heat warnings. 80 inches of snow, people. It's not natural. On the bright side, somewhere between Utah and Missouri, and heading into the tail end of New Hampshire, I perfected my snowball technique. But by the time I got to New Hampshire, I was pretty much sick of snow, and making snowballs really upsets my arthritis. Gee, I wonder why. ((And in case someone is thinking about telling me how much fun it is to ski, I don't care :D The concept of throwing yourself down the side of a mountain covered in frozen water, with only a couple of thin pieces of wood strapped to your feet, all the while in sub-zero weather, could only have been thought of by a New Englander. Heheee, sooo, you go ahead and have fun without me, I'll be in the cabin, snuggled up next to the fire and pretending that it's NOT monochromatic outside.))

Crap. Ahhh well. Sooorrrry, minna!! I'm just whining, because it's cold outside, LOL!! Some of you would undoubtedly be running around in shorts outside, but *I'M* cold.

Anyway! I'm still coming to Katsucon ^^;; The only reason I AM going is to see happy fun shining friends ^____^ Heheeee, just look for the pale girl snuggled up next to a heater vent, or searching around for a patch of sunshine, and muttering to herself about how she needs to start getting involved in full-body-mascot cosplays, so maybe she can be warm once in a while ;) *toddles over and plops down next to Ayaka in the "Neutral" zone* Nyaaaaaaao! ^n.n^

Aya Mizu
10-24-2002, 05:01 PM
Hear hear!

Frankly, I like the Hawaiian weather minus the monsoons :crylaugh:

Lilli
10-24-2002, 08:35 PM
And of course minus the depressed economy where you're either filthy stinking "Columbian Drug Lord" rich, or you're living naked in a grass hut. ^-~

Nah. I think Hawaii would be too humid to be perfect for me. Las Vegas is really nice, except for that week or two in the summer where it won't go below 120, and I'm thinking it's gonna get cold this winter. It won't be as bad as New Hampshire, but still... Cold is cold ^^;;

Ayaka
10-24-2002, 10:10 PM
Yes, I'm all strong cold doesn't bother me . . . and today I was really miserable at the bus stop. :( In the low 40s, raining, and of course very windy. BLEH. This winter is supposed to be the worst in years in Chicago. They've been comparing it to the winter of '93, when I moved here from KY, and that winter they had to cancel school a couple of times on account of windchills in the -50s . . . oh yeah, I'm gonna be having fun getting back and forth to school this winter. XP

dragonessa
10-25-2002, 12:48 PM
EH!? It's in VA?

oh boo hoo, well, that's still not that far from me, probably make it 2 1/2 hrs far now. That sucks. :hafha:

Neko Cathy
11-05-2002, 07:43 PM
eeekkk... you west coast whiners are pansies. As for me... I LOVE THE SNOW!!! Whenever it snows I am friskey and playful as a husky puppy. I guess it has to do w/ being Scadinavian. :) Hell, you might see me roll around in the snow in my Lucrecia costume just for kicks. Oshi, I will be happy to join you in a snowball fight! Let me at them! :devil:

Maybe I can laugh at couple of the West Coast cosplayers walking in in skimpy outfits or hawaiian shirts, shivering their butts off. ... just a funny thought, not out of meaniess. hehehe.

Yea... I'm coming to Katsucon around Friday afternoon/evening, depending on RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. My parents are forcing me to go to school ::coughs::

Lilli
11-05-2002, 08:30 PM
Pfffffff. You east-coast whiners are pansies too, in your own right, so shush. :p To each their own.

Some people love cold weather.
Some people love snow.
Some people also love blood sausage.
Some people love Osama Bin Laden.
Some people love Britney Spears.
Some people have low blood pressure and arthritis, and enjoy being able to feel their toes and fingertips.

It takes all kinds.

Hehe, if there really IS a snowball fight, I'll be watching it from inside, and smirking as you enjoy rolling around naked in the snow. ^-^\/ As long as you're having fun *shrugs* Maybe you guys can start yourselves a Katsucon chapter of 'The Polar Bear Society' or something?

Neko Cathy
11-06-2002, 10:24 PM
WHOA!... ain't no way in hell I'm rollingaround in the snow naked. My tits would turn blue as anything w/out clothes.:p

Lilli
11-06-2002, 10:41 PM
._. so... does... that mean I should leave my camera at home, then? O.o; Darn. Now I won't be able to start up that new paysite I've been looking forward to ._.; Ah well.

Heheheee, we keep talking about snow like it's going to be there ^-~ In actuality, there's probably only going to be muddy slush on the sides of the road ._.

MargauxZ
11-06-2002, 11:08 PM
Katsucon is a costumer's convention. Never before have I seen such QUALITY work at ANY con. And almost every single attendee cosplays. Not like at bigger cons, where more people just come in Evangelion shirts, but real costumes. Not just shitmixed stuff off the rack, but accurate trimmings and accessories and makeup and hair and EVERYTHING!!!!! I can't WAIT for next year!!!!

Iori E
11-11-2002, 02:58 AM
You know, I really was considering Option #1 (the option where I arrive at Crystal City early and spend an extra night at the hotel). I thought it might be a good plan...

...until I saw the standard room rate at the Hyatt Regency.

235 DOLLARS?!?!!
That's nearly as much as 2 nights at the Katsucon rate!

*throws Option #1 out the window*

Maryssa
11-13-2002, 08:27 PM
hmm i am still tempted to go even though i am probably going down to megacon as well =/ it is my bday con and all!