PDA

View Full Version : food places around the hotel

scandia
08-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone!

I would like to attend Animazement next year. However, due to my current location, driving there is not a possibility. So I was wondering if there were any chain restaurants, fast food places, or even convenience stores around the hotel that I could walk to. Eating all 3 meals at hotel restaurants can get quite expensive.

My first year at AWA I flew and spent too much eating lunch and dinner(breakfast was complimentary thank goodness). But last year I was able to drive- and I drove to eat fast food for lunch. I even drove to the supermarket to buy allergy medication- talk about handy. At Shoujocon I had to eat at the hotel restaurant for all 3 meals which got super duper expensive. So trying to save money, I wonder what is around so that I can eat.

Farmboybob
08-25-2003, 05:14 PM
I don't know, but my bud Quadrain can help you here. I'll ask him next time I see him.

liz-maru
08-25-2003, 07:19 PM
there is a wendys and then there is a mall near the hotel if you go down a road and they have a food court and such good food that is inexpensive!! there is a deli also and a pizza place and all kinds o places!! ^_-

Ookami05
08-25-2003, 07:25 PM
lol thank god someone posted this. Last year's AZ (my first con) me and my friends dawdled around too much and the hotel cafe closed and we were starving XD. lol but its funny, living in NC and never going to Durham before. I felt so n00bish XD

zephy
08-25-2003, 09:13 PM
My memory could be faulty, seeing as I haven't been able to make Animazement the past 2 years, but The problem is, those places (wendy's , mall, Win dixy), if I recall correctly, are up the road some and are not within a readily walkable distance -- unless you happen to be up to a long walk. If you can't drive, I think your best bet would be bringing some food with you. Hotel coffee makers are great for boiling ramen water. Peanut butter and crackers, poptarts, other easily packed non-perishables, etc. are godsends.

But please dont take my word for it... I could be remembering wrong . It was such a great con and is worth it in any way to go

Himemiya
08-26-2003, 01:37 AM
There is a mcdonalds and wendys nearby, but neither are walkable. Pizza places deliver, though ^_^

scandia
08-26-2003, 07:01 AM
Thank you for your help, everyone.

I phoned the hotel. They did say that there was nothing within walking distance. They did say that they had a gift shop, cafe, and restaurant for all 3 meals. I will probably be bringing my share of granola bars, and perhaps some peanut butter for the protein would help as well.

I'll probably be Hikaru Shidou on Friday and Anime Emeraude on Saturday, since both costumes can be fit inside a carry-on bag and I can wear Hikaru's shoes and cardigan on the plane ride. But this may change.

Link Arroway
08-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Last year I didn't buy food once, brought cooler, sodas, chips, sandwiches, and ramen. My friend brought his hot plate thing and a thing to cook ramen in so we didn't have to make it in the coffee maker. In the future, I'm going to buy cup ramen. I feel dumb for not knowing the area well because I live so close, but... I'm not usually around there. There is a pizza place, I went there the year before last, but if I were to buy, I'd order pizza I guess. There's lots of pizza in NC. Anyone know a local chinese delivery place? <3 Delivery. Unless your in a big city like I was in for otakon, ordered at like 1:30am and stayed up til 4am waiting and it never came ;_;

liz-maru
08-26-2003, 03:33 PM
i wish there were some delievery places >< that would rock! totally if they had some china food that would rock hardcore! and pizza yum yeah!

RHIshida
08-26-2003, 04:37 PM
I have a humorous story to tell you about the restaurant near the main entrance. (The one where you can get those pizzas) About two Animazements ago, me and Farmboybob were hanging around some of our friends, and we were showing off the knives some of us got. I grabbed my friend Coyote's one and then me and Farmboybob started play swordfighting with them. (They weren't dangerous, I think they still had their sheaths on XD) and the old guy there fussed us out about it, saying something of how it was a felony in NC to pull out a weapon, even if it was fake, and how he should call the cops but he wasn't and forced us to leave. I think he thought our knives were fake, so he didn't do anything about it, but thank god he didn't know they were real! Yeah, so I kind of try to avoid that cafe. XD I'm going to bring my own food and possibly try to bring a microwave to AZ with me.

Farmboybob
08-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Also, I advise avoiding the gift shop. You know if you want a cheap soda or something. I've heard stories, and seen with my own eyes, that the guy there is such a perv.

Jazon: I remember that, it was fun! :D

Also, I think Quadrain told me there were some fast food places like a mile away. So if you don't have a car and don't mind walking on the side of the highway, it's only like a 10-15 min walk.

liz-maru
08-26-2003, 07:08 PM
doh that dork shouldnt have fussed at you all :| and i wont go to the gift shop o_O stoopid perv guy! gaah!! -_-

scandia
08-26-2003, 08:33 PM
Scary about the gift shop. I'll probably take some porta-pak juices (I don't drink soda at all), as well as multiple snacks. I save money and gain less weight that way.

Himemiya
08-26-2003, 11:31 PM
The gift shop guy isnt BAD, he's just semi-perv-creepy-nice ^^; Like he'll pretend hit on you, like some salesmen do. Not in a bad or demeaning way ^^; But... just don't get to close to him if you're wearing super-skimpy stuff... just in case.

Scandia, you're going to starve at Animazement ;_; Find me and I'll drive you to get you food whenever I go get fast food ;_; I can't let you just eat snaaacks! x.x

scandia
08-27-2003, 07:31 AM
Oh, I was planning on having big lunches at the actual restaurant, as well as breakfast buffet. But I will happily go with you if you are driving out. I'll definitely find you. Thank you so much.

I have no clue what my classes for summer will be, but I do hope to be able to make it to AZ.

liz-maru
08-27-2003, 10:32 AM
awe Himemiya your so nice! *^^*

Link Arroway
08-27-2003, 11:05 AM
gift shop man seemed disturbing. I didn't go in there last year.

Himemiya
08-27-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm glad you're planning on eatiiiing! I didnt eat much one year and was cranky all weekend XD

Find me and I'll drive you to get you food whenever I go get fast food ;_;
I'm retarded and was sleepy, that was actually supposed to say "i'll drive you to get fast food when you need it" or something. I can't speak english when I'm sleepy x.x I speak.... gibberish.

scandia
08-27-2003, 06:31 PM
I NEED to eat every 2-3 hours (read my post in "Conditions" at the Serious Discussion forum). I will be taking snacks to save money and avoid gaining extra pounds- it is easy for me to do so.

quadrain61
08-27-2003, 10:12 PM
holy crap... I asked this same question a couple of months ago. and finally did my studies after animazement '03. I'm not good with durham road names but here it goes.

1) Waffle House, I can only give you directions due to the fact it's not listed @ whitepages.com (If you're going I-40 west, go down Exit 282, con exit, and the waffle house should be there at the exit) someone verify this info plz.

2) McDonalds (Turn Right from the hotel, Left at light and about .25 to .5 miles from there)

Sorry about giving you country info but i couldn't find maps or addresses for those places.

My convention problems last year, First I forgot to bring food (farmboybob what ever happened to the cup of ramen noodles I gave you that day?), second of you get hungry DO NOT eat the plants in the hotel (I know this first hand), and third plan ahead Pizza Hut closes @ 12:00 am.