PDA

View Full Version : What do your parents think about crossplaying?

Beware_UY7
08-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Okay, well... I was wondering what other people's parents' reactions are to crossplaying.

My mom is really cool about it actually. She knows I'm a lesbian, knows I crossplay, and knows that my reason for crossplaying isn't my sexuality (crossplaying is never really about sexuality, in my opinion), but because I wont let an awesome character's gender deter me from cosplaying them. She thinks that cosplaying in general is weird, but she's okay with it, and she's even helped me with a couple costumes when I was short on cash.

So, what do your parents think about crossplay? Or are you a parent that crossplays (you rock!) ? Do any of you have parents that are totally in the dark on the whole crossplaying thing?

Aiji Sasayaki
08-26-2003, 11:23 AM
I'm bi, but hell..my mom doesn't know because, well..I've found no girls attractive yet (I'm picky..) for crossplay, my mom could careless. I come from a town where Halloween is the big holiday, so..she usually even helps me with buying some of my props. I moved away from her now though, so I guess I can get more detailed with my costumes (as if I actually need to...)

Eliza
08-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Well, my mom doesn't really have a choice (I'm nearing age 19; I just live at home still because heck, I go to school here, I don't have money, and frankly my mom can use my help) but she doesn't really care what I wear as long as I'm not dressed up as a "sexpot" (her word, not mine ^^;;) She doesn't even really pay attention to my cosplay (I mean she's not unhelpful or unsupportive, she's just like "okay, whatever, have fun" ^^)

edit: I'm also straight, of course crossplay/dressing is unrelated to sexuality. So sad that people can't figure that out ^^;;

Aiji Sasayaki
08-26-2003, 12:07 PM
I figured that out..sometime ago. Just all the characters I like are male..

Eliza
08-26-2003, 01:50 PM
that's how it is for me, there aren't very many girl characters that greatly appeal to me. (although I wish there were) I just dress up as my favorites.

Sprinkles
08-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Umm... yeah I agree. I don't think crossplay is sexual at all... for me males just tend to not only have better designs... but unfortunately are often stronger characters, which I like...
Anyway, on subject, my mom doesn't really care that I crossplay... though I think it might factor into her suspicions about my sexuality. She's impressed by my skills, and that's really about as far into as she goes... As far as my dad is concerned.... he probably doesn't even know what gender the characters are, but his opinion doesn't really count anyway.
I have a harder time breaking it to my non-anime friends that a character I'm showing them is male.

Beware_UY7
08-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Aha. That reminds me of my mom... she never knows what gender a character is, and I have to explain who they are to her.

vyrax778
08-26-2003, 02:32 PM
My mom wants to help me make my Mana costume (technically not crossplay but for me crossdress) and as far as the others she doesnt mind. My dad doesnt care either.

Aiji Sasayaki
08-26-2003, 02:53 PM
I have to explain gender of my characters all the time..I'm starting to wonder if they -really- do look female..^_^'

RHIshida
08-26-2003, 03:40 PM
To put it simply, my parents don't like me crossplaying, but I care less about what they think about me :D

Andrea
08-26-2003, 03:58 PM
My parents don't know who the characters I'm dressing up as are, so they don't even know if I'm supposed to be a male or a female unless I mention it. (I never wear skirts, and I'm pretty small in the chest area, so it's not like I look particularly female most of the time anyway. ;))

At Christmas, though, when Kitarin and I were going to have Mom take some pics of us as Viktor and Flik, Kitarin went and explained the two characters to Mom while I was getting changed - how Viktor was a big buff bear-like guy, and Flik was the slender, young-looking one, and therefore we were cosplaying against body type. Mom didn't seem to think it was particularly unusual. ...Although she probably would have been scared if it had been mentioned that we RP slash with the two of them. ;)

I'm sort of surprised my mom hasn't asked if I'm gay yet, considering how I talk to Kitarin on the phone for hours, we travel insane distances to hang out for like three days, and I wear a ring and necklace she gave me almost constantly. But then again, it's my mom... if I actually was gay, she probably wouldn't want to know. ;)

Hikaruchan
08-26-2003, 04:36 PM
My mom seems okay about a girl crossplaying, but she does think its weird when I show her pics of guys in dresses. Its a cultural thing.

oninomiko
08-26-2003, 04:59 PM
I havent crossplayed yet, but Im planning on making a Sesshoumaru costume... but only if I can can get his shoulder armor perfect. Ive seen so many Sess's and all of them have sucked. Im really disapointed... so I wanna show em all how its done. Only thing is, Im only allowed one con per year, and Im broke... T-T

As for my parents, my mom and dad both though Sess was a girl... ^^; My dad wouldnt care/give it a second thought, mainly cause hes never home though. My mom though... she might give me a hard time about it... I dont think anything about my sexuality would cross her mind though. It might... Im bi, but it really has nothing to do with crossplaying. My mom doesnt know I am though, and she doesnt need to know unless Im planning on bringing home a girlfriend.

Im semi-afraid of binding my chest though. I dont think I could get it flat no matter what... thats what happens when youre a D-cup. And Im afraid its going to hurt like hell. But yea. Ill do it if I can get the shoulder armor right.

AniMajor
08-26-2003, 07:18 PM
My parents don't care what I dress up as, as long as I give them a reason. Like a convention or something. But, I don't wear very many girly clothes anyway, so it doesn't matter what I wear. I prefer guys dressing as guys and girls as girls, but only because of a realistic thing. I find it weird to talk to a Sailor Moon with a deep voice.

It's never really crossed my mind about what my parents thought. The never really made any mention to it.

Nine
08-26-2003, 07:27 PM
My parent's both know I crossplay (With the characters I crossplay, it's quite obvious lol) and they think I'm the most talented person in the world. XD

Beware_UY7
08-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Hm... so, most people have parents that can't tell the difference between guys and girls anyway. When I crossplay, I look too much like a guy most of the time for my mom to not be able to tell that the character's male (Okay... it's sad... put my in baggy pants and my best friends mistake me for a guy. *weep*). Hmph. She's commented before that I look more like a boy then the a character has in the images I've shown her. (She doesn't quite understand that pretty boys rock.)

Hitori
08-26-2003, 08:33 PM
I generally pick androgynous people or beautiful/pretti men(because I can't pull off a really masculine look...), and so mi parents don't know they're not female. But, mi mum has been quite specific that she does NOT want mi crossplaying. Any obvious male, or someone from a series she's seen so knows, I have to hide. She would probably notice, but I don't restrict miself to any certain sex costumes and have a fair amount of girl outfits.

Mizuno Tenshi
08-26-2003, 09:57 PM
My mom would NOT appreciate me prancing around in a dress or skirt for a con... already have, though, and the less she knows, the better! :D

Tenshi

*Jibrielle*
08-26-2003, 10:00 PM
They are ok about it. Then again...they don't really know wich characters I cosplay/crossplay but I do show them the costumes and they like them ^__^

Karisu-sama
09-04-2003, 01:59 AM
My parents? ^^ I don't think they know much about crossplay. And I don't bother to discuss such topics with them. ^^ I don't think they'd understand.

Nadeshiko
09-04-2003, 03:35 PM
My parents really don't care. ^_^; When we passed the Yaoi Con location while going thru SF, I said, "Hey! That's where I crossdressed!" They didn't blink or bat an eye.

Eh...only my first s.o. had an issue with that. Said he prefers me as a girl, but whatever...I like crossplaying as my favorite bish (Wolfwood). ^_^v Yet, he's not an anime person, had to educate him on the bishonen system, the con practices, the cosplay yatta...Planning to do Seishirou at Yaoi Con (if I do go...) w/ my current s.o. as Subaru.

Shintsu
09-04-2003, 05:30 PM
i don't think my parents have a problem with me crossplaying. Actually, the first cosplay i ever did was a crossplay...
They didn't particulary approve of guys crossplaying, though, but i think that's just because you tend to think that guys are gay when they do that. (we are not a particularly pro-gay family, lol)
I explained it though, so i don't think they care anymore. (though I still have to try and explain the whole jrock crossdress thing before I can crossplay as Gauze Shinya...)

liz-maru
09-04-2003, 06:39 PM
my mom could care less! as long as i dont look too hooch or too much like a pimp she is fine ^_- hehe

Pendrell
09-04-2003, 06:58 PM
This isn't even an issue with my parents. The only sort of cosplay that WOULD upset them would be.. hooch, as liz-maru mentioned. ^_^

It helps that my first official crossplay is Subaru-- my mother took one look at my reference pic and went, "well now, he's.. quite feminine. Almost more than you are." ^^; Yay for pretty boys. Makes my job that much easier.

liz-maru
09-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Pendrell ^_- hehe! we gotta do what mommas say i suppose ;) least i do! so if she says i cant wear something i cant. but she likes crossplay better cause im covered more ^_-

Scortia
09-04-2003, 08:15 PM
My mother has more concern over the "hooch" thing as well... tis why she doesn't know about those costumes ;P Anyway, it makes her a little weary, not only because I crossplay but because I'm unfeminine, act boyish, and haven't had a real definite boyfriend... She gives me those "are you really straight?" looks sort of often. ^^;; But, the fact that she knows my friends who also crossplay shows to her that I'm not the only oddball and you aren't necessarily a stereotypical butch lesbian if you crossplay ^^;; Cosplaying in general disturbs her because she doesn't understand why I'm wasting my money on the materials.

Beware_UY7
09-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Hm, I think my mom would be weird about revealing clothing... but she wouldn't say no to it. She knows I'd never wear something too skimpy anyway, I'd feel naked. (Anyone going to Ani-Magic... I'll be Shirahime from Angelic Layer there... that's my most revealing costume, if I were to take off the kimono.) Crossplaying is a bit comfy-er at times, it feels more natural (Okay, some people think its uncomfortable because of binding... but to them I say 'learn to breath from your diafram like your supposed to!') then cosplaying girls who wear close to nothing.

Gren
09-05-2003, 09:00 AM
My second cosplay was a crossplay, back in the days when I had no clue what cosplay or conventions were. It was a Halloween costume, and my mum made it for me.
Didn't think it odd at the time. I just wanted to dress like a charachter I liked, and he happened to be male. She's found it a tad odd that I've continued on with boy costumes (after learning about cosplay and such) But she knows my reasons, and I still get smiles out of her when I tell her about people who mistake my sex. ^_^

Lady
09-05-2003, 10:39 AM
I've been a tomboy and dressing like guys all my life, so when I did my same-sex cosplays (Aeris, Emeralda, Tengaar) she was just happy to see me in a dress and skirt*laughs* Now that I'm doing my first crossplay, she hasn't even batted an eye.

When I show my parents photos of guys in skirts and such, they don't seem bothered by that, either (though my dad wasn't happy with my Emeralda outfit since it showed so much skin. Since he's an uber Republican, I'm surprised all he said about the guys in skirts was "did he borrow your shoes for this picture?")

Now if they knew I was planning on packing for my crossplay, their reactions may be a bit different...

-Lady

Kellie
09-05-2003, 12:49 PM
My parents don't really care either way. I have friends who crossplay (moreso girls who dress as men), but they actually think its very cool. They're costumes is what is impressive to them. ^_^ My parents are extremely open-minded, so that helps as when I crossplayed once (it was super ghetto) they thought it was cool.

tristasusen
09-05-2003, 02:47 PM
i think its easier for girl to crossplay rather then boys, i see many girl on the forum, not having problem. my parents would not like the idea of cosplaying, and i am a guy, but some day i will. and i will not care what they say

Igniz
09-05-2003, 03:18 PM
you right tristasusen it's more easy for girls to crossplay than boys .
Some friends have got problems with their parents because they do female characters.

but it's not very important because it's for fun :jjacks:

sorry for my english ^^;

BishiJZ
09-07-2003, 09:46 AM
I've crossplayed every costume I've ever made and my parents are fine with it. Like the previous people have said, I don't really think cosplaying is about sexuality anyway. . if you can pull off the character no matter what gender you are more power to you.

Edge
09-08-2003, 09:49 PM
they think that is cool, my mom help me in all the costumes that i do...

Jupiter
09-08-2003, 10:37 PM
If my mom ever saw me crossplay, she would probably disown me. She really doesn't like the idea of guys dressing as girls.

DayDreamerNessa
09-08-2003, 10:47 PM
my parents are ok with it, but when i showed them who i was cosplaying as, they said,"How come you didn't pick a girl to dress up as?" i could've chosen a girl if i wanted to, but i didn't want too... but my mom helped me out with the costume neways so i know she doesn't mind, but i think she's suspicious of me being attracted to girls instead of guys, even though im not ^.~

Jupiter
09-08-2003, 11:10 PM
I wish my mom were as cool with crossplay as yours are DayDreamerNessa.

LunarYoma
09-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Im new here, just dicovered this place tonight. When i told my mom about the character(female on the cover of The Skull Man Manga vol 1) im going to do for the up coming Nan Desu Kon in denver this september her reaction was "Are you Gay?" followed by a strange look she gave me.

I laughed at that & told her im not gay(& im not). I told her it was something i wanted to do. I even told my aunt, cousin & brother. My mom think it is strange. My aunt just shruged her shoulders & didnt think anything of it. My cousin(male) found it weird & my brother didnt even react to it.

My mom & aunt went with me to buy some of the materials i needed.

Since i have absolute zreo ability when it comes to makeup i decided todo the costume & make myself a kabuki style mask to cover my face. For this year that solves that problem.

Hopefully after a couple of more crossplay costumes i might get enough guts/nerve & not be so freaking nervious of what other people will think of me when i cross play. i want todo a gothic lolita look of Mana from malice mizer when i get enough nerve to not give a crap what others think of me.

Beware_UY7
09-09-2003, 10:40 AM
LunarYoma: That's it! You shouldn't care what people think! Rawr! I know plenty of people find cosplaying in general weird... I just explained cosplaying to my voice coach last night before my lesson, and she thought it was so weird; she was highly amused.

Jupiter: I don't quite know how you feel, but I have a close guy-friend that goes through the same thing. Just about the only person that doesn't know he crossplays is his mother! If he sews at his house, he has to say it's for a friend, and most of the time he does all of his costuming at my house, and has to keep all his skirts and stuff in the trunk of his car. His mom wouldn't appreciate him crossplaying, especially since she gets enough of people telling her she has a 'beautiful daughter', reffering to him. Some people just don't understand, and it'll always be that way. At least we can all run off to convention where no one cares! And I thank whatever deity cares about my happiness for that!

DarkFlame
09-09-2003, 11:22 AM
I've never done it (in fact haven't actually even cosplayed yet), but it's something i wouldnt mind trying. My dad doesnt even want me cosplaying because he thinks most new hobbies (anime art, tabletop wargames, etc) are sad and childish. My mum is a little more open minded, but would get worried if i did it as a regular thing (especially since it's in public). And my ex was completely against the idea of me dressing in womens clothing.

Beware_UY7
09-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Haha, I understand how significant others might feel about crossplaying... I had a boyfriend a looonnngg time ago *has since given up on members of the opposite sex*... and when I was spiteful of his existance, I crossdressed... and made him look gay in front of his friends. I'm a bad, spiteful, rotten, person, but I'll never be as much of a jerk as he was.

When I first got into the whole manga/anime scene, my mom thought it was weird, and was kinda' 'iffy about it, but it's been 5 years since I've been really into this stuff (Okay, I've watched ainme since I was like 8, but it took until middle school to find a group of people that shared the same interests as me), and now she's cool with it, she even helps me with costumes; both regular and crossplay. She still wont pay for manga for me; she'll buy any book I want, but manga money has to come from my pocket. Rawr.

Jupiter
09-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Beware_UY7: The way your freind goes about crossplaying is more or less the same way I go about it. I have also been mistaken for a girl several times, but my mom just laughs at it. However since I'm her only son, she would never want to see me dressed as a girl. So far I've been getting away with it, but I found out that my little sister will be joining me at akon 15. Hmmm... I'll probably just blow off crossplaying for that convention.

PsychoShinji
09-10-2003, 07:36 PM
My parents both love crossplay. My mom thinks that I "look cute as a little boy" and my dad just thinks that it fits me very well. Ever since the first day that we watched Pokemon and he said, "You know...sometimes you look and kinda sound like Ash..." LOL. But seriously, I'm fortunate to have very supportive parents of both the anime hobby and the "oddities" found therein. They both love my crossplay hobby! In fact, my parents are hoping that i can get the role of Dicken in "The Secret Garden" for the upcoming school musical. ^_^

Beware_UY7
09-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Jupiter: Yeah, my buddy has a younger sister aswell. She's 10, and she's knows about crossplaying, and finds it incredibly amusing. Hm, that's probably due to the fact that she's around her brother and friends more then she's around her mother, aince her mom works so much, so she's grwon up very open-minded.

Hm, a lot of people don't comment on what their father's think... crazy. Well, I don't live with my dad, and the same for my friend... but my dad is generally intrigued by everything I do, so he's cool.

Jupiter
09-10-2003, 10:19 PM
I don't comment on my dad because he and my mom divorced when I was about 2 years old. So basically I've been living the past 16 years with my mom and three sisters.

Jupiter
09-10-2003, 10:25 PM
^I realize that has nothing to do with the thread^

Karisu-sama
09-11-2003, 05:34 AM
Sheesh, I'm glad I don't have to even THINK of the issue of "what do my parents think?", LOL. All I have is the issue of of "what does my HUSBAND think?"

I don't crossplay out of any wish to cosplay guys per say, it just happens that some of those cool characters that appeal to me as cosplay potential are guys.

Beware_UY7
09-11-2003, 10:07 AM
Hm... although... significant others can be as spaztic about crossplay as parents can. And when parents say "no", you feel like, 'well, I'mma do it anyway. Rawr. Rebellion.'... but when a significant other says "no", its just like 'but but but but but! *whimpers*'
They're much more influential, I think. *begins to hum Sarinas Paris' "Single Life"*

Sana-chan
09-12-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm really not sure what my mom thinks about it, but I know my dad is completly not in support of it ><. Sad thing is I've only done it once lol, which was Legolas, and now once more as I'm working on Jack Sparrow. It's not like I crossplayed because I wanted to be a guy or anything, but I really like those characters. I dunno, I juss get the impression that he thinks that when I crossplay I want to be a guy and stuff @_@.

BIOJECT
09-24-2003, 01:53 PM
My parents lack almost all understanding of almost everything I do. My Mom luckily underderstands a little better but still both have no clue about cosplaying. For next year I plan on crossplaying and I am probably not going to tell them about it. If I did my Mom would just think it strange but my Step Dad who is one of those tough masculine guys would call me a sissy and ignore all my reasons for dressing up as a female character. He sees me dressing up as a girl and fails to get the whole picture. He would NEVER understand why I would be dressing up as a character. Because of this I would receive constant laughs and jokes about how sissy I am. Well in my opinion it takes guts to go to a place with a bunch of people and dress up as a girl. (If you're a guy that is)

BIOJECT
09-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately I only have a select few of male characters I would choose from. I've always enjoyed the female characters more even when they were not the main characters, like Ryoko.

dustbunny690
10-12-2003, 02:21 PM
My dad supports it cause he knows its not about my sexualliity.(i'm straight) ANd my mom thinks htat i should be a cheerleader. And finds it weird that i like to crossplay. But what the hell, it's fun!!

kdthompson
10-12-2003, 03:04 PM
I understand perfectly how you feel about your mom, dustbunny690. For me, it's kinda reversed. My dad always says it 'worries' him. It makes my mom nervous to with each new guy I say I'd like to crossplay as and I have to explan why I perfer to cosplay guys over girls each time, but she's a tad more understanding. It's not my fault that most of the girl's I'd probably want to cosplay as show so much skin...

Asukas~Doll
10-19-2003, 10:10 PM
When I told my dad he gave me that "Okaaayyy and why?" kinda look, but he says it's better than looking like a 'hoochie-mamma' (direct quote from him)

My mom doesn't seem to mind really, but the chest binding thing kinda worries her. I think she's getting suspicious about my sexuality (I'm bi but she doesn't know yet) but she doesn't really protest. She would rather have me dress like a guy rather than someone like Tiara from Shamanic Princess.

DayDreamerNessa
10-19-2003, 10:49 PM
lol i meant to post back awhile ago but yes i am lucky that my parents let me do this... I still don't know what my dad thinks of me crossplaying though, but i guess he doesn't have a problem with it since he hasn't said anything was bothering him....

I just recently told my mom and sister i was going to crossplay as Vash, and im not surprised that once again they said 'why can't you ever dress as a girl?' it's just i really enjoy the character and wanna make my own version *i know vash is overdone, but that won't stop me from doing his character* ^_^

kdthompson
10-28-2003, 10:18 PM
I figured I'd scare my folks out of complaining, after cosplaying as Lara Croft or Tifa Lockehart, I figure they'd quit complaining...

And vash isn't over done until you see 50 of them within 10 feet of you....*won't mention any Yuna cosplayer's names*

Elysion Gear
10-29-2003, 10:37 AM
My parents think nothing of me crossplaying, I've worn boy's clothing since I was 8, and it's very common to see girls in guy's clothing where I'm from....so it's no big deal when I chose a guy to crossplay as.
My Mother dosn't mind my hobby, She likes the fact that I can make my own clothes.:D:D:D
My Father......(no clue.)
My (twin)brother think cosplay it's self is weird, but he's never said anything bad about it. Back when I was 13, my brother and I dressed the same.(when he had shoulder-lenth hair),,,,,and no-one could tell us apart. :D

Savior_Faire
11-02-2003, 02:32 AM
My mother is actually getting me a compression shirt for christmas XD
I've been a performer most of my life, usually being cast with a male part (Usually due to the fact that our thespian group consisted of 4 girls to every one guy), I was always a tom-boy and "one of the guys", and most of my friends still consist of guys. My mother always helps me with my costumes and helped me the other day with the binding for my halloween costume.

My dad is... my dad doesn't care really.

My brother crossplays sometimes too, so he doesn't care and neither does his girlfriend.. who also crossplays XD

My boyfriend might not like it and I think it's for the same thing that Karisu-sama has; he doesn't like it when I bind apparently, especially since my sides were really sore afterward when I finally found a method that worked. Eh, if he doesn'tlike it then that's his problem.
^.^ no one can stop me!

Kaze
11-02-2003, 06:14 PM
I havn't crossplayed before but I'm dying to! I'd love to shed my female ways for a day and be a little masculine. My parents would think it's odd but they'd support me either way. I think their just happy that anime keeps me away from drugs n stuff...cuz honeslty if it wasn't for anime...Id be a pot head...

RoboGundam6
11-06-2003, 11:13 AM
My parents think I'm crazy, but I was since I was born...so whats the problem?
I like insanity gundammit! But I don't think gundams have a gender -_-, whatever. They arn't thrilled, like I listen to them anyway, lol.
I'm gunna cosplay Iori dangnabbit and Setsuna one day too!

momo_anzu
11-08-2003, 03:01 PM
No one, boy or girl, strict parents or not, should ever feel bad/awkward about cosplaying or crossplaying! It's a great hobby! Just 'cause someone thinks you are strange doesn't mean their opinion should make you shy away! Gay, straight, it doesn't matter, as long as you have fun. My mom knows about my preference to scrawny, girly men, even though I'm straight, heh, so...she thinks I'm strange, but she laughs it off, heh. Anyway...you guys should have seen me trying to explain to Mama why I wanted to bind my chest if I was wearing a dress (cosplayed as Mana for Halloween this year, btw, lol).

"But Mom! I am a guy!"
"Ashley, you are wearing a dress..."
"Sigh...Mom, I'm a guy, dressed as a girl, even though I'm really a girl, so I need to bind."
"Wait a minute...is this that bondage singer guy?"
"No! He plays the guitar! And he's not into bondage, that was just for a photo shoot..."
"If he's into dressing like a girl, he could be into anything. He could be gay...not that there's anything wrong with that, I know your friend Marcus is and..."
"Mom...?"
"...Though...well, this Mana boy..."
"Um...mom?
"...Looks a lot like a girl and he's so pretty, so..."
"Mom!"
"What?"
"Please, I want to be flat..."
"No! What would the neighbors think?!"
"But you don't care what they think! Remember"! 'Trim your hedges, paint your door,' they said, and you were all like 'phfft! screw that!'"
"They think we are wierd enough, and I'm tired of getting letters from the homeowners association about our lawn, I don't need them about you too, hehehe..Maybe when you go to that convention thing..."
"But that's in July!"
"Well, more time to plan how to do it, now isn't it? Mwahahahaha"

LOL! She forbid me from binding 'cause she didn't want the neighbors to talk, heh, but otherwise she was cool. And um...maybe this was a bit....dramatized, but you guys and gals get the picture right? :)That was my first, and so far only costume, so I'm not sure how she'd feel about me doing it more but I doubt she'd care. She's really open. I love how sweet Mama is, lol. And so innocent...lol. She even helped me with my makeup and stuff, lol!

And my dad's a deadbeat who doesn't even KNOW me barely (he visited me...once, heh) so his opinion doesn't count for doggiedoo....

ACXchan
11-08-2003, 06:24 PM
momo_anzu: LOL! She forbid me from binding 'cause she didn't want the neighbors to talk

You know... you could always try a little reverse psychology. Tell your mom you want to get implants and then see what she thinks about chest-binding XD

momo_anzu
11-08-2003, 06:42 PM
momo_anzu: LOL! She forbid me from binding 'cause she didn't want the neighbors to talk

You know... you could always try a little reverse psychology. Tell your mom you want to get implants and then see what she thinks about chest-binding XD

Yay, hehe. I'll try that, heh. She might know me too well, though, heh.

CapsuleCorp
11-09-2003, 05:25 PM
It's always interesting to get an insight into what other people have to deal with concerning their costuming hobby.

As for me? I'm 28, I don't care what my parents think. ;) My dad doesn't know much about my hobbies anyway, though I do try to show my mom pictures if I think they wouldn't freak her out. My family knows I'm the "strange" one so a costume is a costume, to them, I don't think they'd care about the difference between cosplay and crossplay.

I was more concerned about my friends understanding. They also are costumers, but aren't into anime and for the most part haven't really seen much crossplay in the sci-fi/fantasy arena. One of my costuming buddies was a little weirded out at first, but then at her Halloween party, where I went as Yugi and tried binding for the first time (and loved it), she was almost bragging about the fact that I was crossplaying to some of the others there. Kinda strange. But in a good way. :)

I just don't want my friends to freak out should they catch me posing with other cosplayers for yaoi pics...

momo_anzu
11-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Yeah. My friends think cosplaying in general is wierd, so they don't understand the difference between cosplay and crossplay....heh. Too bad for them! Cosplay is a wonderful hobby! And crossplay is just plain fun!

PhantomCatcher
11-10-2003, 10:25 PM
My parent's dont exactly know that I'm crossplaying, but I think its better that way. -_- Well, actually, I only have one cosplay costume as of yet (Jakotsu, from Inuyasha) and only my closest friends at school actually know who it is...
"Wait, so lemme get this straight. You're dressing up."
"Cosplaying."
"Suuuure, cosplaying. You're cosplaying as a guy-"
"Crossplaying."
"Will you stop interupting?!? You're crossplaying as a guy who's a crossdresser?"
"Ehh...sure!"
"So what does that make you?"
"...Jakotsu!"
When they saw the costume, though, they were amazed I was actually doing it. Good reaction. If I told my parents? I don't want to know what would happen... *mutters about lousy bigots*

RoxyDirKaoru
11-13-2003, 07:47 PM
My mom is okay with me crossplaying. Cause before I knew about cosplay and crossplay I have always hated one thing about my body and that is my breasts. I'm 16 years old and when I wear a bra in the smallest size my breasts still are to small so they don't fill out the bra. And then one day I found out about J-Rock. I have already done two Mana cosyumes and one Gackt, currently working on Kyo Obsecure. So all I have to do to to look flat is to take my bra off. (Then you can hardly notice that I have breasts, you would have to stand 1 cm in front off me to see them hehe!) Anyway my mom is more happy to see me crossplaying instead off hearing complains from me everyday about If my breasts don't get bigger I'm taking silicone!

RoxyDirKaoru
11-13-2003, 07:48 PM
sorry meant costumes there...

Ryoko-Dono
11-13-2003, 08:53 PM
My moms funny about it. I'm 15 and this past halloween when I wanted to be Link from Zelda and have one of my male friends dress as Zelda(I made his costume) she was like "Why dont you want to be Zelda? Her costume is so much prettier." But after that she was really cool about it. She helped me make a little bit of the Zelda costume and I think it came out pretty good (go to Kairi G's gallery for pics). The guy who dressed as Zelda for me is very much straight and after much convincing was really quite okay with being Zelda. He was so pretty too ^^.

Lilli
11-14-2003, 06:34 PM
I don't have to worry about what my parents think about crossplay, or even cosplay in general. But I know my father had approved of my cosplaying/crossplaying. I honestly dunno what my mom would have thought about it ^^;;

Which is nice, seeing as how my first costume was a crossplay. When I think about it, I've actually had more crossplays than I realized x.x; (Nuriko, Mana, Sanzo, and more waiting in the wings ^-~)

As far as my boyfriend, he dosn't really mind. Just adamantly refuses to crossplay himself, "You ARE NOT getting me into a dress. No. Don't look at me like that. NO!!" and when I bind my chest down, gives an exaggeratedly sad little sniffle. "They're gone... o.o And now you sort of have a uni-boob." type deal. But he dosn't seriously mind :3

One of the advantages of starting cosplay/crossplay later in life, I guess ^^; You don't have to put up with the possible hecklings of your schoolmates, (and I've always had pretty open-minded coworkers at my jobs, hehe) and even if you do still have parents, they're more likely to be like, "Eh. You're old enough to know how you wanna dress." I remember my dad was always more worried about me being "properly covered" than anything else.

Edit: ...spelling ^^;

Raine
11-19-2003, 09:31 PM
My first crossplay is a ways away. It's going to be Laguna from FFVIII. I seriously doubt if my parents are going to care. I mean, it's pants, a shirt, and a denim jacket. It's not much of a costume. They'll probably think I'm going in normal clothes. ^_^;; I'm not binding, either.

engrish
11-21-2003, 01:16 AM
this is kinda off topic but it's crossplay related errr kind of.

Anyways for those of you who have driven a stick shift before then you probably have tried doing a heel toe engine rev. You've all must of seen someone rev their engines at an intersection before. Anyways it's really easy to do. Basically you keep you left foot down on the clutch while you keep the toes of your right foot on the brake (so you don't move), rotate your right foot counter clockwise so your heel can hit the gas pedal. hence the name heel toe engine rev (actually you don't use the toes of your foot it's more like the ball)

Anyways I tried doing that while wearing high heel boots. Let's just say I couldn't get it to work. The shape of the boots makes it really difficult to do this :rolleyes:

nope I don't plan on sharing this story with my parents they think I'm weird enough already. :p

Hanyaan
11-24-2003, 07:33 PM
Sorry for the forum necromancy...I've crossplayed twice, although one of those was my Xelloss costume which I used three times, and my parents really don't care if my character is a girl or a guy. I made my Xelloss costume myself and my mom was looking at it and complimenting my sewing for a long time. It wasn't until I put it on and was ready to go that she said "Wait a sec...is that character a guy?" I told her that Xelloss is technically neither gender (which is true, because he isn't human), so she was OK with that. (She never complained again, so mission accomplished.) My dad never really commented either way. And when I did Loki, my parents, yet again, didn't notice that I was doing a crossplay until five minutes before I was getting in the car. I think my mom had less of a problem with Loki than Xelloss because it was obviously a little kid's costume, and my dad didn't seem to care a single bit...I also think they didn't care as much about either crossplay because rather than bind, I used camouflaging methods that hid my chest with a lot less pain. (Damn large boobs, they can be such a pain...)

I think my parents have no problem with me occasionally crossplaying because of theater. I did a lot of acting until relatively recently and a LOT of the roles I got were supposed to be for guys, so I've done crossdressing (and even binding) enough for them to be convinced that it's all just acting.

Anna_Chan
11-24-2003, 09:05 PM
My mom doesn't care who or what I dress as 'cause she doesn't know where it's from.

topleka
11-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Actually, my parents like me to crossplay. I'm a girl, and most anime girls wear very little, so when I dress up as a guy then I don't get guys staring at me in perverted ways. ::laugh::

KyuuketsukiMiyu
11-28-2003, 03:26 AM
My parents have already accepted the fact that I'm the 'weird daughter' of the family . . . so they don't care what I dress up as! Just as long as I'm not falling out all over the place, plus I'm moving out . . . (and the 'heel-toe-engine-rev' is NOT FUN if you're wearing platform boots . . . *sweatdrop*)

k.urs
11-28-2003, 09:58 AM
hm. my mom is kinda "eeh" on my sis and I dressing as evil/weird/crossplaying characters, but generally she knows we're into cosplay/crossdressing more for the expierience(sewing is a good skill..) and that we're not going to act/dress like them otherwise.
plus, like topleka said, most of the interesting stuff female characters wear is waaaay more "no way you are NOT going to wear that" compared to what the guys wear.

Ookami
12-01-2003, 01:13 AM
Errrm...I haven't ever cosplayed of crossplayed yet ;-; But I want to soon! ^-^

I will probably wear a Sailor Chibi Moon outfit, I saw a really cute one that I would like to buy/attempt to make (I have never even made an outfit!!! ;-; )

Anyway...

I don't think my mum would be too freaked...maybe...though...

And my dad? Well, he doesn't live with me, but he comes here quite often...if he saw me crossplaying, he would probably try to "beat some sense" into me! ;o;

But before I crossplay, I want to lose weight! I am 13, male, and 5'6", but I weigh 133 ;_; I look really fat! >.<;;

But I need that Sailor Chibi outfit! It is so cute, and pink, and *eyes go shiny* ^o^

Asukas~Doll
12-01-2003, 01:52 AM
But before I crossplay, I want to lose weight! I am 13, male, and 5'6", but I weigh 133 ;_; I look really fat! >.<;;

But I need that Sailor Chibi outfit! It is so cute, and pink, and *eyes go shiny* ^o^

Lose weight? Sheesh, that's not that heavy. I weigh 1-... urp... a weight that's slightly lower than yours but I don't think I look that fat... *looks in mirror*... eh...

O.o And PINK?! Pink is the devil's color... Devil's color I say!>.< But hey whatever floats your boat. And if you can pull it off, then yay for you! Oh and don't forget to get a bright pink wig! XD

Ookami
12-01-2003, 02:18 AM
Lose weight? Sheesh, that's not that heavy. I weigh 1-... urp... a weight that's slightly lower than yours but I don't think I look that fat... *looks in mirror*... eh...

O.o And PINK?! Pink is the devil's color... Devil's color I say!>.< But hey whatever floats your boat. And if you can pull it off, then yay for you! Oh and don't forget to get a bright pink wig! XD

Bright pink wig eh? *adds to list* Heeheehee! ^-^;;

I want to make my own outfit! >.<;; But I would probably make a really useless one! ;o;

And what would my mum think if she caught me with a load of pink material, and sewing...*blushes*

DarkindDreamer
12-01-2003, 03:14 AM
Pink!!???? pink??? BBLLLAHHHHHHH
**qivers N shivers**

ooww.. i feel sick....

Ookami
12-01-2003, 04:20 AM
Pink!!???? pink??? BBLLLAHHHHHHH
**qivers N shivers**

ooww.. i feel sick....

You would like it if you saw it! It is so cute! ^o^ *squeals*

eeep! Did I just squeal? *blushes* o>.<o

Asukas~Doll
12-01-2003, 06:16 PM
lol, what i find funny is that you act more girly than i do! o.o;;

And also you'd need pink boots... white gloves with pink things on the end... a pink bow, a red bow with the locket... a pink choker, uhmm.... *thinks* and those red things that go in her cone-things....

*re-reads what she posted* Gah! I scare myself with how much I know of Chibi Moon's costume. *backs away from the pinkness (I would call chibi moon the pink menace but Relena Peacecraft already has that title >.<)*

Ookami
12-01-2003, 10:55 PM
lol, what i find funny is that you act more girly than i do! o.o;;

And also you'd need pink boots... white gloves with pink things on the end... a pink bow, a red bow with the locket... a pink choker, uhmm.... *thinks* and those red things that go in her cone-things....

*re-reads what she posted* Gah! I scare myself with how much I know of Chibi Moon's costume. *backs away from the pinkness (I would call chibi moon the pink menace but Relena Peacecraft already has that title >.<)*

...Lots of pink...Yay! ^o^

Well I think some of the things that you said come with it...But does it actually count as cosplay if you wear a bought costume? I would really like to make one myself, but it would probably end up as a big pink...mess... >.<;;

http://www.costume-net.com/images/adult_chibi_full.jpg

Well, there it is! (It is ok to post a link...right? Some places are strict with "advertising" >.<;; )

Anyway, isn't it so kawaii? ^o^

dani
12-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Quote:

They used satin. I'd use lycra for the body. Just an idea...

Dani

The Lord XL
12-01-2003, 11:14 PM
I don't have any crossplay costumes. But I would like to.... ONLY UNDER ONE CONDITION!!!!! I would have to do it in theater/skit/sat or sun night cosplay, because the old Japanese theater used males in female parts.

Oy..... I can hear the voice of my dad when I tell him I have a cosplay costume. He will say in his mind "That boy ain't right......" but he will say "ok whats anime agian?..." ^^;;

I guess if I had my choice of crossplay costumes it would be girl Ranma, that way im still kinda a boy.

RHIshida
12-01-2003, 11:53 PM
Ookami, I'm 16, 5'6" and 195 lbs, and I have a medium build that leans closer to small. I am fat. (Hey, I'm trying to lose weight, but it's hard ;-; I blame the Southern Baptist Christian school I went to for serving the most greasy pizza I have ever seen. Evil demonic school, and yes, I see the irony.)

SARtheMastr
12-02-2003, 01:01 AM
My parents absolutely lothe the fact I wanna crossplay, but I'm still going to go as DMG to AKON this year, with the help of some friends. I pray my parents never find out...

Genki Chan
12-02-2003, 02:05 AM
Wow... I feel a little sad after reading some of this.

A lot of your parents seem to either be against crossplay or they find the idea unnaturel. I'm pretty lucky. I've never cosplayed someone of my gender (though I plan to soon) mainly because of the fact that I find many femal characters in anime to be generic and uninteresting. And the ones that are interesting I don't really like their outfits.

My father not only accepts the fact that I crossplay, but he loves it! He's very supportive of every costume I make, and critiques them for me. My mother thinks it's cute and helps me bind. They both buy fabrics for/with me. A lot of the characters I crossplay I also rp or at least go into character for at-con. My folks are cool with that too.

As long as I like the charrie and I'm having fun, they're supportive. For any of you who have parents against a crossplay you want to do- don't let their ideas hold ya back. Be who ya wanna be! (as corny as that probabaly sounds!) ~_^

BIOJECT
12-02-2003, 03:42 PM
What my parents don't know doesn't hurt them. My Step Dad's a major man freak. If he sees anything that is not up to pare with his manness, he laughs and mocks at it for years to come. My Mother wouldn't mind as much but she would probably worry that I have become a fullon crossdressing since one time long long ago I found some panties in an old abandoned house and kept them hidden behind my bed. lol

Asukas~Doll
12-02-2003, 06:37 PM
...Lots of pink...Yay! ^o^

Well I think some of the things that you said come with it...But does it actually count as cosplay if you wear a bought costume? I would really like to make one myself, but it would probably end up as a big pink...mess... >.<;;

Well, there it is! (It is ok to post a link...right? Some places are strict with "advertising" >.<;; )

Anyway, isn't it so kawaii? ^o^

I think it counts for cosplay. I mean, what's worse... buying your costume and looking at least 3/4 decent? or buy all the stuff, waste time and money trying to make something, and come out with a mass of pink and white?

I would rather have someone else make it than have me make it if I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

And it's so kawaii that I might just keel over... X_X...

NiGHTmaren
12-02-2003, 07:20 PM
My parents don't give a hoot about what characters I cosplay as. Then again, I'm 20 years old and basically in control of what I wear out in the public and what I feel comfortable wearing. There aren't many males I wish to cosplay as, but one of my dream cosplays happens to be Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho. I just love him so much, and his Dark Tournament outfit just calls out for me to work on it and make it come to life. I might also do a Hiei cosplay, and a Shishiwakamaru has been on my mind for some time now, as well. It's fairly easy for me to pass off as either a guy or a girl...mainly because I have a small chest and don't even have to consider binding if I want to be in a male character's costume. Then again, I'm very small framed in general (just 4'11" and not even 90 lbs ^^; ) So, it's all good. ^_^ I could much easier cosplay a guy than a busty female in revealing clothing...=_= But anyway, in the end I don't think it's a parent's place to be concerned about what characters their sons/daughters cosplay as, it's nothing that could harm their children after all, and it's all in fun. It doesn't necessarily mean that they have a certain sexual preference...it really has nothing to do with that at ALL...but, society seems to think that way so yeah. But anyone with common sense knows better.

*~Hime no Toki~*

CapsuleCorp
12-02-2003, 10:12 PM
Shishi the bishie? :D Yeah, that'd be something to see. That's screaming for someone to cos- or crossplay! (but it sounds like if you and I crossed paths as Kurama and Hiei respectively, Hiei would be suddenly much taller than he should be! LOL!)

Ookami
12-03-2003, 01:54 AM
I think I'll attempt to make an outfit, I'd like to have an outfit that I can honestly say that I made it! ^^;;

And something that's weird...if I wanted to cosplay (as a boy)(I'm a boy) I would probably have to bind! >.<;; *sweatdrops* ^^;;

Cactuarsama
12-15-2003, 03:35 PM
i don't think my mom even knows what my characters are, and my dad is just...umm...there.

me:"bye mom and dad im getting ready to go to metrocon"

Dad: "see you in a couple days"
Mom "what are you going as?"

me: "hamel"
mom: "oh the violin guy you where telling me about, have a great time"
dad: "EMERIL IS SUCH A CHARLATAN!!"!!!

i don't think they have a problem with it.. ^ ^

asakai
12-24-2003, 03:26 PM
My mom usually wouldn't know the gender unless it's really obvious. *lol* When i cosplayed Haku (from naruto) and told her he's a guy, she just sort of "oh"-ed and.. yeah, that's it. *lol* My dad knows and cares pretty much zip. And i don't think they'd ever really care... until i start binding my chest that is. XD;;;; *is very eager to employ the chest binding techniques deviced by the brilliant karisu-sama* I'm certain my mom would be *very* weirded out if she walks in on me doing that >_>;;

misakichi_ryou
12-24-2003, 05:52 PM
i for one support crossplay...i feel that everyone should cosplay as their favorite character dispite of gender. me as for one cosplayer want to crossplay as Misaki Suzuhara but im getting fit for that role..so i probaly wont be able to crossplay until late 2005 ^_^.

anyways if anyone agree with me please post feedback.

Asukas~Doll
12-25-2003, 02:00 AM
^I feel the same way. I think that if you like the character, you should cosplay as them despite the gender. Who cares if you're not of the same sex!

*raises fist* and if people want to make fun of those crossplaying, then they shall feel the pain of my Fan of Doom! (or Setsunas glass sword when I make it)

THE Naru
12-26-2003, 07:01 PM
It is so true that it's easier for girls to crossplay most of the time! >_<

First I have to explain the area and kind of people I live with:
The area I live in is one of those states where you can just assume that even wearing one of your friends that's a girl's baggy shirt cause yours got wrecked would be frowned upon.

My Dad was brought up in a house hold with parents who stood by the values they had been around most of THEIR child hood - thus they tend to be generally iffy about how secure the government is, blacks, gays, etc etc. And to my dad "crossplay" comes down to the "cross" part and he basically looks at it as something a "fag" would do and doesn't see the "play" part.

My mom was brought up in a really messed up family that was basically broken which I see as a blessing cause she was able to form her own morals and values.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a straight guy and don't worry I am completely non-prejudice to any of the stuff said above but my problem is that If I were to crossplay my dad would disown me and my mom would support me then go in her room and cry(?) without actually taking the time to ask the right questions and find out that I am straight and why I do it.

Frankly I LOVE THE OUTFITS - all the outfits the girls get to wear are beautiful and made out of all these fabrics that boys clothes would never be made out of in a million years (i.e. X-2 Yuna's singer outfit *that fabric, and I know exactly what it is!*). I guess I am slightly influenced to be open to my "feminine side" because of the friends I grew up with. Most of my "life-long" friends are girls who have been going to dance classes and doing performances like all their lives and because of that I have always been around the costumes and seen all their dances. I still have the rest of my junior year and my senior year to go through before I'm in college and unfortunately it looks like that's the only time I'll be able to crossplay so as you can see not everyone is as lucky as all of you guys.

dani
12-26-2003, 07:38 PM
I still have the rest of my junior year and my senior year to go through before I'm in college and unfortunately it looks like that's the only time I'll be able to crossplay so as you can see not everyone is as lucky as all of you guys.

I was only able to START putting my crossdressing/crosplaying ideas into practise around my late twenties. Everything was only in my mind until then. My current situation has a lot more to do with patience and perseverance than with luck.

If it's not safe for you to express yourself in your current environment, please be careful. Time will pass and you'll be more in control of your environment.

Good luck (and patience)

Dani

asakai
12-26-2003, 07:45 PM
THE Naru -> it's great that you take so much interest in crossplaying ^__^ Gender and sexual preference has absolutely nothing to do w/ why pple crossplay =P

Yeah *lol* I agree that it's easier for girls to crossplay, especially the er (ladies, please don't take offense ^^;;) flatter ones. I dunno, i'm guessing the trend of girls crossplaying guys has been around longer and is more common so it's become almost natural. And i do agree that girls get the prettier clothes ^^;; I'm actually pretty glad to be born a girl XD;; ('cept i'd like to lose the endowments *urgh*)

Yeah... parents tend to mind a lot >_<;; But don't be discouraged about crossplaying =D Would they seriously mind so terribly if you crossplay? >_o If they don't ask you about the things that matter, mebbe it's good to sit down and straighten it out w/ them? About why you crossplay and being straight. (though it's probably much tougher than i suggest it is =/) If it doesn't work out or is too risky i guess the best thing to do is to wait >_< Though in the meantime you could start planning and secretly horde all your fabric and stuffs >D *lmao* Not much for advice, sorry XD;;

THE Naru
12-26-2003, 09:32 PM
lol no no thats great advice and yes your right it is easier to say then it is in practice. The problem is that they probably wouldn't care even if they got the right answers because in the end it ends up being against their combined morals and values lol. Anyways though your right, when I can I can and till then patience.

chibi_kitsune
12-26-2003, 09:46 PM
I don't think they would really care, they have never said anything about it. a costume is a costume to them and as long as it's decent and in good taste they don't care, they even gave me an ideas for my next costume and help me find away to make it :thumbsup: , I wear costumes just for the fun of it and it's not something I would wear everyday either so I don't think they mind too much. I never wore any of my costumes to a con yet, well I only been to one so far and planning go to another one sometime next year and hopefully I'll have some of my other costumes done by then.

Akiko Ki
12-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Well I have crossplayed before and my parents really don't care (even though I am 15) at all. Mainly cause I am a tomboy never liked girly stuff at all I never even owned a barbie for gods sake. If you would ever catch me in a dress it is like once in a blue moon. Most likely cause I grew up with all boys around me never any girls. any way back to the subject. My mom even Cosplays with me sometimes she thinks cosplay is weired but I drag her into it any way. The question I all ways get at school when people catch me drawing witch is like all the time is they ask is that a guy or is that a girl really to me I cna tell cause oh how many years I have been into anime I can tell. I do now why people get confused though is because of there hair. Cause like Inuyasha ( everyone thinks is a girl) has long hair thus everyone that dose not know anime thinks is a girl alson with Sesshoumaru.

THE Naru
12-27-2003, 08:01 PM
!!!dance!!!
:heart:
<(^^<)
:dance:
(>^^)>
<(^^<)
:dance:
(>^^)>

THE Naru
12-27-2003, 08:03 PM
see there it is again - that damned term that's normal for girls - "tomboy" so tell me why is it so not accepted to be a "tomgirl" >.< I mean in neither case does it mean your sexual preferences are any different just your lifestyle preferences!

~sry - off topic but I just had to rant there~

chibi_kitsune
12-27-2003, 09:40 PM
see there it is again - that damned term that's normal for girls - "tomboy" so tell me why is it so not accepted to be a "tomgirl" >.< I mean in neither case does it mean your sexual preferences are any different just your lifestyle preferences!

~sry - off topic but I just had to rant there~

I been thinking, if it's o.k. for girls to be tomboys why can't guy be alittle feminin? that way it's fair for everyone.

THE Naru
12-27-2003, 10:10 PM
exactly, thank you chibi ^_^

Akiko Ki
12-28-2003, 12:36 AM
I really don't see any thing wrong with it I mean people think it is strage when boys like girl things but then they don't when girls like boys things I mean really its the same.

chibi_kitsune
12-28-2003, 12:48 AM
I really don't see any thing wrong with it I mean people think it is strage when boys like girl things but then they don't when girls like boys things I mean really its the same.

yah I like some guy things and I'm a girl so I thought it's the same thing if a guy likes some girl things. I never saw anything wrong with it.

Silver Minx
12-28-2003, 03:47 AM
Hahahaha... How random... ^^
Well, my parents know I'm bisexual, so they really don't give a rats ass, but my mum can't tell the difference between a bishounen and a girl, so I just tell her it's a girl to keep her happy. XD So people... follow my lead... If you're a guy doing a girl, just tell your folks that it's a guy crossing as a girl that you're doing...

or something like that. -_-

Either way... I can't tell if I'm a "tomboy" or not... I act really girly, I like girly things, but sometimes I dress like a guy (for the sake of it and coz I like guy clothing) and get hit on by girls... -_-;; ^^;; lol either way, it's me... so I'm happy.

I don't really care about titles like "bisexual", "tomboy" or "girly girl"... I'm me, that's it. Maybe I'm that, maybe I'm this... Either way, I'm happy. So who cares about titles? "You a tomboy?" "Sometimes, yeah."

XD

asmodeus
01-02-2004, 04:25 PM
i hate my life, im running away... (just kidding)

well i dont like my life 'cuz my parents dont approve of anime, cosplay or anything of that sort, i wish i Could, but, i cant

oh and minx, i wish i had your parents *lol*

Ami
01-06-2004, 09:01 PM
heh my parents would kill me maim me slaughter me bury me dig me back up and bury me again if they ever found out i did this kind of thing is cool though i have methiods thats why my parents would do though

Asukas~Doll
01-07-2004, 01:38 AM
Jeez Ami that's a little.... gruesome... if I do say so myself. And if you were killed, maimed, slaughtered, buried, dug up, and buried again I would get my good friend Yunierei to cast life on you so that we don't lose you! n_n

And then she could hide you in her closet and you would never have to worry about all that stuff from your parents again! ...yes I am crazy... and I will take over the world so don't spite me. XD

Ami
01-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks Asukas, good to know that I have somewhere to run when the time comes, but thats about what my parents would do if they ever found out, *shudder* scary to even think about it....

Lady Ava
01-07-2004, 10:46 AM
At first, my mom and dad were very confused about the crossplay thing. When I said that I was going to make a Squall (FF8) outfit, they were annoyed. I had to explain to them that its okay because I like the character. I don't wish I were a guy or anything. I just really like his character.

After it was complete and my weapon was added, they thought it was awesome. So, they don't really mind ^__^

Ookami
01-08-2004, 01:05 PM
UGH!!!! I just typed out a reply, then the stupid thingy says "you have included too any smilies, yada yada yada" so I pressed back, and then it had deleted my message! :waaaah:

Well here's pretty much what I said:

I've heard some people call girly boys "jane girls"...Kinda like "Tomboy" :rolleyes:

I don't think I'll ever tell my dad! Or my mum for that matter! If I told them, they would either kill me, or hurt me mentally, then I would become a drugged up alcoolic that lives in the basement of Wal*Mart singing "Happy Birthday to you!" all day long! :drink:

Ami
01-08-2004, 05:36 PM
*moves over and makes a spot for Ookami in the basement* ive have this spot reserved for a long time just incase somthing like that does happen always have a contingency plan thats howi look it at.... just a word of advice always have a backup plan its the only way youll survive

Winry
01-08-2004, 06:47 PM
My parents don't mind. I already done Alucard, and I'm planning to do Edward Elric(Fullmetal Alchemist). My mom understands my love for anime and how I like to cosplay. As all as the costume is not too reveal or something she's pretty much ok with helping me make it. My dad usually has little to do with my cosplayism(I think I just made that word up n_n;;). Usually we call him in to help with the props and whatnot.

:heart: Edward Elric :heart: (yes, he's my new anime crush :love: )

Ookami
01-08-2004, 07:41 PM
*moves over and makes a spot for Ookami in the basement* ive have this spot reserved for a long time just incase somthing like that does happen always have a contingency plan thats howi look it at.... just a word of advice always have a backup plan its the only way youll survive

*Sits down, rocks back and forth, and starts singing* :waaaah:

H...h....happy....birthday....to.......you........
H...h...happy...b....birthday...t..t.......to y....you.....
H....h...h....h....happy b..birthday...d..d..dear...T...Tony B....B....Blair.....
H.....h.....happy....b....birthday...t...t..t...t. ....to.....you! :lost:

Hmmm...A backup plan eh?....Like what? :woah:

Asukas~Doll
01-08-2004, 08:14 PM
O.o;; riiiight... *gives ookami a Chibi-moon plushie* happy birthday..? yeah... *slowly backs away*

Ookami
01-08-2004, 08:43 PM
O.o;; riiiight... *gives ookami a Chibi-moon plushie* happy birthday..? yeah... *slowly backs away*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

CHIBI MOON!!! :heart:

*Mega-Glomps Asukas~Doll* :heart:

*Sigh* I want a sailor fuku... :waaaah:

Asukas~Doll
01-08-2004, 09:28 PM
@_@ *has been plastered by Ookami* er... you're welcome.

Hey if you want space in Yunie's closet to make your Sailor Chibi Moon fuku, I'm sure she won't mind. I wouldn't, but it's not my closet so of course I wouldn't mind. Just make sure you stay away from the space saved for Kiriyama and Seifer. Oh and save some room for Ami just in case. XD

Ookami
01-09-2004, 09:22 AM
What's all this talk about closets? :woah:

*Feels like a complete utter totally stupid idiotic idiot of an idiot not knowing what's going on!* :waaaah:

Maybe it's due to lack of sleep...but.....I don't know what anyone is talking about!

Back to the basement with me! :drink:

Asukas~Doll
01-09-2004, 06:20 PM
We~ell you see my friend Yunierei really really likes Kazou Kiriyama from Battle Royale and says that she will kidnap him and put him in her closet. The same goes for Seifer of FFVIII.

So then a few posts ago I said that if Ami was killed, etc. then I would make sure a space was reserved for hiding. So then since your parents might do the same I offered you space in the closet of hiding as well. So then you can make your crossplay outfit(s).

Eep. Ok I'll stop rambling now sounding like some old geezer telling everyone a story of the world's past (like in an RPG). I'm supposed to be the villain! Not the old geezer! *runs to her secret castle and pouts*

Ami
01-09-2004, 06:25 PM
lol its alright Asukas we are very happy for the offer and when i say backup plan i mean be ready for the worst, if your costume gets hiden or gotten rid of always have the fabric for another one, or if you know they wont let you go to the convention as what you want tell them you just arent going as that person and then sneak the orginal costume in a box or somthing and change at the convention, basically find loop holes in your problem and if all else fails *gestures around walmart basement* plenty of room to go around and alot of closet space accordingley, great so now im talking to much... i need to go back to Mercury or somthing... must be home sick... ah well is good

Ookami
01-09-2004, 06:34 PM
We~ell you see my friend Yunierei really really likes Kazou Kiriyama from Battle Royale and says that she will kidnap him and put him in her closet. The same goes for Seifer of FFVIII.

So then a few posts ago I said that if Ami was killed, etc. then I would make sure a space was reserved for hiding. So then since your parents might do the same I offered you space in the closet of hiding as well. So then you can make your crossplay outfit(s).

Eep. Ok I'll stop rambling now sounding like some old geezer telling everyone a story of the world's past (like in an RPG). I'm supposed to be the villain! Not the old geezer! *runs to her secret castle and pouts*

Ummmmmmmm........Ok......Errr......*Reads over what you said*....Nope, makes no sense to me! :drink:

I should really get some sleep....But I'm not going to! :waaaah:

Actually...a little of what you said managed to get past the block of cheese lodged in my ear, and into my brain! o.o;;; I think a closet would be a good idea!....Now where do I get a closet?....... :waaaah:

Asukas~Doll
01-09-2004, 07:52 PM
*smacks head against keyboard* ok, that's it ookami! *picks Ookami up by his collar and throws him into a random bed that just suddenly popped up* Now go to sleep or else.

Oh and *pulls out block of cheese from your ear* XP this isn't very healthy for you y'know.

Ookami
01-09-2004, 08:50 PM
*smacks head against keyboard* ok, that's it ookami! *picks Ookami up by his collar and throws him into a random bed that just suddenly popped up* Now go to sleep or else.

Oh and *pulls out block of cheese from your ear* XP this isn't very healthy for you y'know.

Nuuuuuuuuu! :waaaah:

Me no like sleepy! Sleepy bad for Ookami! Sleepy make Ookami feel ill and tired, and sleepy give Ookami bad hair day! :waaaah:

Me started talking like me is five year old! Me sounding more crazier by the minute! :waaaah:

Ami
01-09-2004, 11:23 PM
*silenty nods to Asukas and walks around to the other side of Ookami* when ever your ready.... *takes out the pen*, its alright OOkami we are your friends, we enjoy having you around and we want whats best for you cause if you dont get good sleep, you cant cosplay well and thats bad *shakes finger* bad bad bad, you get bed hair we fix we are your friends Ookami, its alright we will make it so you rest easy..................

Asukas~Doll
01-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Yes Ookami, we are your friends and we just want to make sure you're well rested and that you are able to understand what we say. Don't worry one bit about bed hair, I can fix that up nicely, so don't you hurt your head thinking about difficult things like that (j/k! XD)

*holds down Ookami* now then this is so you don't escape and make us chase after you. We only have your best intrest in mind! You want to be able to cosplay well... don't you?

Ookami
01-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Yes Ookami, we are your friends and we just want to make sure you're well rested and that you are able to understand what we say. Don't worry one bit about bed hair, I can fix that up nicely, so don't you hurt your head thinking about difficult things like that (j/k! XD)

*holds down Ookami* now then this is so you don't escape and make us chase after you. We only have your best intrest in mind! You want to be able to cosplay well... don't you?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee! *Struggles*

Don't hurt meeeee! :waaaah:

*Gets free, and runs away* Don't worry Jimmy, we'll get to Hollywood before sunrise! Bwahahahaha!!!

*Runs into the sunset, and bursts into flames* :waaaah:

And I don't want to sleep! It's 5:37 am, and no sleep for Ookami! :drink:

Ami
01-10-2004, 11:31 PM
*looks at Asukuas* should we let her go or we can catch up i do have a car.. what do you think? im game either way....

Ookami
01-11-2004, 12:25 AM
*looks at Asukuas* should we let her go or we can catch up i do have a car.. what do you think? im game either way....

Eeeeee! Did you call me a "her"?.....Yay! ^0^

(Is a boy, but wants to be a girl -.-)

Ami
01-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Eeeeee! Did you call me a "her"?.....Yay! ^0^

(Is a boy, but wants to be a girl -.-)

Of Course Just Like I Would Be Preferred To Be Called A Girl Why Not Call You A Girl? Thats What This Forum Is Here For So Why Not Use It For Whats Its Here For? (have you figured out im a guy yet?)

Ookami
01-11-2004, 04:08 AM
Of Course Just Like I Would Be Preferred To Be Called A Girl Why Not Call You A Girl? Thats What This Forum Is Here For So Why Not Use It For Whats Its Here For? (have you figured out im a guy yet?)

I wasn't quite sure which you where! ^^;;;

At many other forums, all of the people there are confused about my gender! *Giggles*

Oh yeah, good news!

I looked through the store thingy on cosplay.com, and I found a few things I want! X3

Hopefully, I will be getting:

seifuku kerchief
sailor fuku top ~ short sleeved
short pleated skirt
and
supertall loose socks

I think it came to about $102... ^^;;; But it will be worth it! *Nod nod nod*

But of course, I need to find a way to order them. I'm only 13, and I don't want my mum knowing about my cosplaying! ;o;

Ami
01-11-2004, 12:04 PM
that one might be a bit of a problem... id suggest an outside source an older friend an adult who knows about what you do, im sure if you get them the money they would do it for you... thats what i found out about needing an address to ship my stuff to, i just asked a friend if i could use his house address and it worked....

Ookami
01-11-2004, 12:31 PM
that one might be a bit of a problem... id suggest an outside source an older friend an adult who knows about what you do, im sure if you get them the money they would do it for you... thats what i found out about needing an address to ship my stuff to, i just asked a friend if i could use his house address and it worked....

I don't have any friends. I don't go to school anymore. I never leave my house. I hardly ever see people. :lost:

All I need is someone to order it for me. *Sigh* I bet I won't be able to get anyone though... :lost:

*Cries* I want a fuku!!! :waaaah:

Asukas~Doll
01-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Awww poor Ookami! Wish I could help, but I doubt I could... unless you live in CA. But if you don't then... I'm not much help.

I don't know but maybe once it gets to post office you could pick it up there? (if you order it that is) Or, you could have it sent to your house and say it's a present for a friend that's a girl? Unless your mom knows you pretty much have no friends where you are....

Sorry, I'm not helping much am I? I'll shut up now. X|

Ookami
01-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Awww poor Ookami! Wish I could help, but I doubt I could... unless you live in CA. But if you don't then... I'm not much help.

I don't know but maybe once it gets to post office you could pick it up there? (if you order it that is) Or, you could have it sent to your house and say it's a present for a friend that's a girl? Unless your mom knows you pretty much have no friends where you are....

Sorry, I'm not helping much am I? I'll shut up now. X|

Eee! Don't "shut up"...I like talking to people ^^;;;

Well I told my mum that I want to be a girl a while ago...Then I lied and said I didn't feel that way anymore, because I couldn't stand her knowing! :lost:

Well...She didn't mind, and she said she would back me up whatever I wanted to do, but...I dunno...*Sigh*

chibi_kitsune
01-11-2004, 02:57 PM
I don't have any friends. I don't go to school anymore. I never leave my house. I hardly ever see people. :lost:

All I need is someone to order it for me. *Sigh* I bet I won't be able to get anyone though... :lost:

*Cries* I want a fuku!!! :waaaah:

Sorry you can't find anyone to help you, but think on the bright side when your older you can wear what ever you want.

Ookami
01-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Sorry you can't find anyone to help you, but think on the bright side when your older you can wear what ever you want.

I guess...*Sigh* It would be really cool if I could now though...I guess I could if I told my mum...I mean, she'll find out sooner or later... :lost:

I guess I'll just have to wait....Or make my own...My first costume....I think it would be hard....I'll try it anyway... o.o;;;

*Goes off to plan his sailor fuku* :drink:

Asukas~Doll
01-11-2004, 03:16 PM
I don't have to shut up?! Yay! *does a happy dance* Anywho, chibi kitsune is right! Once you live on your own and whatnot, you can wear whatever you feel! *holds up a toga* XD

And if you're mom says that she would back you up no matter what you do, then I think you should be yourself. If you want to dress up like a girl, then go right ahead! And if it doesn't work out... well, there's always room in Yunie's closet to hide in! -^__^-

Ami
01-11-2004, 05:15 PM
also I still have the basement but i do have an idea.... you cant stand your mom knowing... is it you cant stand it, or does she disprove it like being mean or somthing? cause depeneding on your answer i might have a solution but ill find out an answer first... also im 17 i know what its like to be that close to victory i also what its like to be that close to defeat, trust me dont wait, plan now and be ready, as a famous quote goes "This Is Your Story"

karasu-kun
01-11-2004, 05:26 PM
My mom is pretty cool with me dressing like a guy. She knows that it's just once or twice a year for conventions and that I'm not lesbian, so she's surprisingly supportive of it. It helps having supportive parents.

Ookami
01-11-2004, 06:51 PM
also I still have the basement but i do have an idea.... you cant stand your mom knowing... is it you cant stand it, or does she disprove it like being mean or somthing? cause depeneding on your answer i might have a solution but ill find out an answer first... also im 17 i know what its like to be that close to victory i also what its like to be that close to defeat, trust me dont wait, plan now and be ready, as a famous quote goes "This Is Your Story"

Well...She was ok with it...but...I dunno...It's just...I couldn't stand her knowing. I just....I don't know...*Sigh*

It's hard to explain...I couldn't stand to talk to her when she knew....*Sigh*

I guess I could tell her...It's nothing to be ashamed of...And there'd be more chance of me getting some cute outfits...And if my sister knew too, I'd be able to wear girls clothes around the house, without worrying about being caught...

Ami
01-11-2004, 11:09 PM
lol i know how it feels i know exactly how it feels i had my first problem when i was a 13 also... lets see ok an idea get everything lined up and an estimate on how long it would take to get it all then at the last possoible minute request it.. so she would only know long enough for the convention and the costume to come, but its up to you your life, a life we all like we just approach it in differnt manners good luck to you... ill post some more suggestions if i think of it

Ookami
01-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Umm...*A little confused*...Err... :eeek:

I don't have a convention in mind yet :lost: I know of only one that I could go to in Britain :waaaah:

But I'd like to get a costume ready...And I'll need a lot of practice!

The costume I'd like to make is a Tokyo Mew Mew one. I just love pink! ^^;;;

Also I'd love to make a mini/chibi moon outfit! (More pink! ^0^)

Ami
01-12-2004, 06:18 PM
ah wrong frame of mind i was thinking that i was on the Sakura Con board sorry bout that but its still a universal stragety dont tell until the last possible minute....

Ookami
01-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Ummmmm...Now I'm even more confused... :waaaah:

chibi_kitsune
01-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Umm...*A little confused*...Err... :eeek:

I don't have a convention in mind yet :lost: I know of only one that I could go to in Britain :waaaah:

But I'd like to get a costume ready...And I'll need a lot of practice!

The costume I'd like to make is a Tokyo Mew Mew one. I just love pink! ^^;;;

Also I'd love to make a mini/chibi moon outfit! (More pink! ^0^)

Someone made me a super sailor chibi moon costume, I never wore it to a convention but I did wear for halloween a few years ago. :p

Ami
01-12-2004, 09:36 PM
ignore my last 2 posts that should clear everything up anyways well... now i have to think for a minute....

Ookami
01-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Someone made me a super sailor chibi moon costume, I never wore it to a convention but I did wear for halloween a few years ago. :p

Gimme! :waaaah:

If I had one, I would wear it ALL of the time! :rolleyes:

I just LOVE pink! :love:

chibi_kitsune
01-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Gimme! :waaaah:

If I had one, I would wear it ALL of the time! :rolleyes:

I just LOVE pink! :love:

I MIGHT sell it but I don't think I will though.

Omi
01-13-2004, 11:41 AM
my parent....hmm...my dad doesnt mind at all, he doesnt care at all. ^^ i love my dad! =^^= He says do whatcha want.

Kokuu
01-22-2004, 02:30 AM
My parents really don't care that I crossplay. They both think that cosplay and anime conventions are silly (but they proudly exhibit this one picture of me and my little sister cosplaying) I'm involved in theater, and for some reason, I always get stuck playing guys (I have a really low voice for a female, but I have rather large boobs XD) so both of my parents are becoming used to me wearing wigs, beards, binding my chest and whatnot.

asmodeus
01-22-2004, 01:46 PM
i would have my whatnots (ahem) slashed off with a spoon if i was caught crossplaying. my dad would personally shove me into a 2x2x2 box and mail me to abu dhabi. so im thinking about running away and living with a random person in the states. anyone here wanna adopt me?

chibi_kitsune
01-22-2004, 01:55 PM
i would have my whatnots (ahem) slashed off with a spoon if i was caught crossplaying. my dad would personally shove me into a 2x2x2 box and mail me to abu dhabi. so im thinking about running away and living with a random person in the states. anyone here wanna adopt me?

I can adopt you if you want, and you can meet some of my crazy friends!

asmodeus
01-22-2004, 02:23 PM
ill get back to the subject later :)

Ami
01-22-2004, 11:38 PM
lol glad im not the only one in here on that list..... my parents had a shall we say a change of heart about me doing crossplaying.... scary stuff anyways yeah... i might go somewhere next year... cause i can doubt it but who knows only time will tell

Epiphany
02-03-2004, 11:53 AM
It took me forever just to talk my mom in letting me cosplay. But, when we were all watching Pirates of the Carribean for the first time, stupid me jumps up and points to Jack yelling "I'm cosplaying him!!" My mom just looked at me weird for a moment and my dad left the room. When he came back he had a beer bottle with him and said "Well, he looks pretty drunk, you better start practicing now." After they sat there and made fun of me a bit, I decided to explain to them what crossplay was. My dad just kept nodding his head (he was too into the movie to really listen) and my mom just said. "Okay, we'll get the fabric when you're done with your current costume." So i'm going to be working on a Jack Sparrow and Legolas costume over the summer. *thinks to self* I wonder if i could wear one of them to a German con?

Ami
02-03-2004, 01:46 PM
lol a story of great times indeed thats one heck of a way to break it to your parents good job though and hope you have fun doing it....

Bata
02-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Personally my mom could care less she hasn't the first clue what anime is and ive tried one to many times to teach her what it is that frankly i give up -____- so even if i do crossplay she wouldn't notice she'd just say something like "you know making those costumes is just a waste of money" or "why do these cotumes all have swords and guns with them !? its not lady like" and my favourite " what happened to ur chest!?why do u look so flat?"@_@ shes impossible!

emiiri
02-27-2004, 04:20 PM
My parents don't mind at all. Granted they might thing I'm nutso spending my money on fabric and such, but they're very supportive and helpful. ^_^ My Dad actually suggested one of my crossplay costumes, he thought I'd fit the character well. :3 I think that a being a girl and cosplaying guys is probably easier, though, with parents and all.

Drackt
03-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Hmmm.... You know, they never really said anything about it. But they know I am comfortable in my sexuality (Straight, not narrow). They're moreso on me with my Vampyr obsession.

But I like to think of myself as an American Takarazinne-I only play the male role because they're so much more interesting than their female counterparts.

Sozoku Reed
03-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Oh man lol, I did a Rabi en Rose outfit and with 4in stilettos she shought I was a freak... then I did Testament (really a guy) and she thinks Im even more of a freak -_-

Kate
03-05-2004, 05:14 PM
o god wat my mum thinks about crossplay.... this is exactly wat she says: KATE Y DONT U DO SOMTHING IMPORTANT WITH UR LIFE?? answer: I AM DOING SOMTHING IMPORTANT IN MY LIFE IM GOING TO PORTCON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so yeah she thinks im a fraek................. damn this cursed world were drssing up in a anime coustume peole think ur a freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! LIFE ISNT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Darien
03-08-2004, 12:41 PM
I don't see anything wrong with guys having an feminine side and expressing it. Because people are always afraid of what they don't understand. I have an feminine side and I am not afraid to express it and I always ignore what others call me. Because you have to do what is right for you and ignore everyone else's criticisms.

Serrof
03-15-2004, 08:38 AM
My parents know that im in to cosplaying, and my mom would help me if i needed it, because ive asked already, but they dont know that im going to do a crossplay and i know that i would be killed if my dad found out, however, I'm moving out in june and wont be going to the event in crossplay until next year when my friend gets all her plans together in our mass crossplay event... and with me going in to the military soon, the reason im moving out in june, it probably wouldnt be a good idea to have that mentioned in front of them either.

Darien
03-17-2004, 12:59 PM
It's sad that parents just don't understand but I guess they act the way they do because they don't want to see you get hurt. But if you want to crossplay, go for it and don't let anyone stop you from doing it. I hope you and your friend do well at your cosplay event. I wish you guys good luck.

Serrof
03-17-2004, 01:24 PM
^ thanks, and the event is going to be at AnimeBoston 05, the event will be the entire cast of Outlaw Star in crossplay form... I do hope we do well

>> XD Hi, this is his friend that's arranging the crossplay mess, XD At the moment we basically have me as gene, this guy as hilda, another friend that may be doing suzu, and some guy i don';t know who would meet us there as Mel. Well, anyone else is still fair game, if you know the cast. JIM is a must for you girls!!!

HyperrrMouse
03-24-2004, 11:44 AM
My parents love it. A bit confused sometimes about the crossplaying, but not really(i've only shown one crossplay at convention, i have 2 more coming up this spring, though one is Nuriko from FY, so how much of a crossplay is that?). They know how to deal with stuff since my brother came out. My crossplaying they consider tame and fun. Mom loves it when i ask her for advice we talked about boob binding for an hour or so one day, and now she wants me to consider design or costume making as a career ^_^; I tell her i'm not that good and that it's all for fun. Though i mostly live away from home, so now my dad and i don't argue as much, but for all our fighting amazingly my first crossplay outfit is still his favorite that i've ever made/worn. Maybe cause i asked him advice on how to saunter?

Kenjiro
03-29-2004, 08:00 PM
My mom doesnt care as much as my older sister. She swears I'm gay.

Whats funny is my papa has been more supportive than my mother. And consider the fact that my papa is an ex-army-dude, hispanic, and an avid alcoholic, I was a bit perplexed when he showed up at an event I was crossplaying at, and didnt beat me down right then and there.

Darien: I disagree with flat out ignoring the criticisms of others. I personally listen to them so I know how their mind works. Its fascinating what some people think. And once you know how someones mind works, you can manipulate them in your favor. hehehehe

Kirin-Riki
04-12-2004, 02:46 PM
My Dad was brought up in a house hold with parents who stood by the values they had been around most of THEIR child hood

I have the exact same problem... dad is VERY religious and would castrate me with a spoon if i crossplayed.

I am a straight guy and don't worry I am completely non-prejudice to any of the stuff said above but my problem is that If I were to crossplay my dad would disown me and my mom would support me then go in her room and cry(?) without actually taking the time to ask the right questions and find out that I am straight and why I do it.

Amen,(not) im not gay, and my mom doesn't really care, she just follows my dad's wishes, so she would be the one holding me down while my dad slashed me.

Frankly I LOVE THE OUTFITS - all the outfits the girls get to wear are beautiful and made out of all these fabrics that boys clothes would never be made out of in a million years. I guess I am slightly influenced to be open to my "feminine side" because of the friends I grew up with. I still have the rest of my junior year and my senior year to go through before I'm in college and unfortunately it looks like that's the only time I'll be able to crossplay so as you can see not everyone is as lucky as all of you guys.

Same here... Are you my long lost twin??? ........ nm...

well i have the exact same thing going on at home, i like the feel of the clothing, i find it to be very comfortable, and also the colors. all of those that guys are not supposed to wear, i like. so kind of a problem... you dont see many men walking around in silk and pink/purple...

victimofreality
04-13-2004, 09:20 PM
My family's religious, i'm very religious, but they know for me it's all fun and games, and especially appreciation for kick-arse male Anime/Manga and VG characters. :) My mom kind of rolled her eyes jokingly because she didn't understand, but she doesn't really care. When I showed my dad a pic of my first crossplaying character (Leon Belmont from Castlevania: Lament of Innocence), he said, "You don't want someone more feminine? Of course not." But he took it with a smile and wished me good luck. So, yeah, they're really supportive, I think - especially compared to other stories i've heard of before.

ZoraLink
04-13-2004, 09:38 PM
I've never crossplayed...but I wonder what my parents would think....especially if I did Ambi or Veran from Zelda: Oracle of Ages :3 I don't know how my dad would react...

Viko Arts
04-13-2004, 09:41 PM
My parents think that I'm crazy, to put it bluntly. It horrifies my mother and midly disturbs my dad. XD (I guess it doesn't help that I cut off all my hair and dyed it blond for cosplay.)

jrfr0mdallas
04-14-2004, 12:13 AM
This is something I have been wondering about myself. I have dressed up as a woman one Halloween (went as a 50's girl, poodle skirt and all), and I make mention of cross-dressing "as a possibility" most Halloweens. So, I think my Mom is kinda braced for it. I haven't mentioned anything about what I'm doing this year, although I probably will once I finish my costume. But she seems worried that me doing something like this is implying that I am gay. I tell her every time that I am not, and doing something like this doesn't make you gay. Women just have access to a bigger variety of costumes. Plus, a lot of women's costumes are a lot nicer that guy's costumes. Just more complicated and a bit more revealing.

In my opinion, as long as your parents are generally accepting, they should be fine with it. Just talk to them and be open with what you're doing and why you're doing it. They may be confused and concerned, but just talk it out with them. If you are gay and are doing it to pick up men, then you may want to have a different talk with them. But when you talk, be completely honest. Honesty is extrememly important, and necessary if you want acceptance and/or approval for something like this. However, if your parents are more of the strict, stubborn type, it might be best to hold off on mentioning it to them and try to bring it to them gradually. I hope this helps out someone, and maybe one of these days I'll let my Mom know I'll be dressing as Chii at Otakon.

Kirin-Riki
04-15-2004, 04:33 PM
my parents believe extremely in the bible, nothing is done without consulting the book. and recently we have been looking into self-acceptance, and one of them was... you guessed it... genders. what we discussed was accepting your gender and dealing with it. and there was this scripture, deuteronomy 24:5 i think... i'm not sure. but it said something like, "A woman shall not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing. anyone who does this is detestable to god." so i'm thinking about becoming a buddhist without my parent's knowledge and just act christian. what a bummer.

Sixshot
04-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Admittedly, I don't crossplay, I haven't cosplayed period even though I've been wanting to. I am however, a crossdresser, and if my parents found out they would quickly kill me @_@

Mizuno Tenshi
04-15-2004, 07:57 PM
my parents believe extremely in the bible, nothing is done without consulting the book. and recently we have been looking into self-acceptance, and one of them was... you guessed it... genders. what we discussed was accepting your gender and dealing with it. and there was this scripture, deuteronomy 24:5 i think... i'm not sure. but it said something like, "A woman shall not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing. anyone who does this is detestable to god." so i'm thinking about becoming a buddhist without my parent's knowledge and just act christian. what a bummer.

Kirin, the bible is misused when it is quoted for purposes like this. Trust me, you can be a Christian and be a gay, transgendered, lesbian, or crossdresser. http://www.soulforce.org

Tenshi

Cjiadon
04-17-2004, 03:30 AM
I feel so badly for those of you whose parents do not support you. My mother thinks it's wonderful that I'm dressing as a guy, especially since I'm cosplaying as her favorite video game character, Vincent from FFVII. She's been great with helping me decide the best way to bind my boobs, and how to make the claw on Vincet's arm.

I guess if you knew my mother it would make sense. She doesn't like most girls much. But then, neither do I. All my friends are guys. ^_^;

Lostboy
04-17-2004, 04:05 AM

Does your dad shave? You know, a man shaving his beard is an abomination to god according to that same book of the Bible. Also, if your parents don't have a railing around the edge of their roof to protect their neighbors from falling off, and if they don't wear tassels on the four corners of their coats, they are also damned. You might point out that some of the Old Testament rules are a bit outdated. Why are they picking and choosing? If they're going to hold you to the no-crossdressing rule, they should be obeying the no-shaving and roof-rail rules.

dustbunny
04-17-2004, 12:38 PM
My parents don't even mind. They will sometimes buy me the fabric i need. I was really lucky with my first costume in crossplaying case my mom thought that i was playing a girl.lol. My mom thinks it's werid and that i should be a cheerleader instead. My dad supports it and even comes to the cons with me. ^^

chibi_kitsune
04-17-2004, 03:31 PM
I feel so badly for those of you whose parents do not support you. My mother thinks it's wonderful that I'm dressing as a guy, especially since I'm cosplaying as her favorite video game character, Vincent from FFVII. She's been great with helping me decide the best way to bind my boobs, and how to make the claw on Vincet's arm.

I guess if you knew my mother it would make sense. She doesn't like most girls much. But then, neither do I. All my friends are guys. ^_^;

Yah, same here. Ever since I was little most of my friends where guys, my best friend is a guy.

dani
04-17-2004, 03:54 PM
For those of you thinking some of us are "lucky" because we can put our crossplaying interests to practice, please be sure things are not that rosy. In my case, for example, I was only able to find/build the proper environment in my late 20's. Everything was an utopia till then. And even now, 10 years later, I must time my sneak in and out of places to avoid unfortunate clashings. Just to put things in perspective.
Dani

ArashiSakura
04-17-2004, 05:52 PM
My mom and grandmother don't care. Actually for Otakon, my mom is going to be Seishirou, which is kind of scary. Although, my mom loves anime (and closet yaoi fan, too) like me, it's still disturbing. My grandmother just thinks I'm crazy, but usually she doesn't care to much.

Biku-Chan
04-18-2004, 01:33 PM
My parents would not be at all phased if I crossplayed. I'm already weird enough to scare them any further, aside from my father who's rather strict and well... uptight. My mom I don't think really cares... but I do plan on crossplaying at one time or another.

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-18-2004, 02:07 PM
I do a lot of weird things and pull them off by making everyone laugh out loud. My mom laughed about it the time I "cross-dressed" for spirit week at school by dressing up like my brother. It was so funny; he went to an all-boys school so I wore his school jacket with his old gym uniform and stuff. And I acted like a caricature of him. It was hilarious, and several people asked me if I had a boyfriend who went to McQuaid when they saw the jacket. I actually said to several people in a cutesy voice "Hi! I'm Murray!!!!!" Heh, the fun things you can do when your brother goes to college and leaves his stuff home.

Basically, I can get away with almost any costume as long as I throw it together instead of worrying about details. If I actually want to sew a costume, my mom gets mad about it but if I throw it together from stuff around the house she thinks I'm really cute and clever and funny. I guess the house is so full of junk she likes to see me use it in interesting ways. So if I tried to make a crossplay, my mom would freak. But if I improvise one, she encourages it. And she knows it has nothing to do with sexuality (I'm straight and normally very feminine), I just do stuff like that to be funny.

Oh, and my mom understands the urge to dress like a male, too. She prefers pants any day and refuses to wear female costumes to the Renaissance Fair. Instead she wears men's Renaissance shirts with her usual pants. So she understands if I want to dress like a male now and then. She doesn't understand anime or wanting to make costumes, but she at least understands wanting to dress like a male. On the other hand, she doesn't understand why my older brother cross-dressed a couple of times, but she thought it was hilarious. She's cool like that.

PoodleBoy
08-14-2004, 01:34 AM
This is something I have been wondering about myself. I have dressed up as a woman one Halloween (went as a 50's girl, poodle skirt and all), and I make mention of cross-dressing "as a possibility" most Halloweens. So, I think my Mom is kinda braced for it. I haven't mentioned anything about what I'm doing this year, although I probably will once I finish my costume. But she seems worried that me doing something like this is implying that I am gay. I tell her every time that I am not, and doing something like this doesn't make you gay. Women just have access to a bigger variety of costumes. Plus, a lot of women's costumes are a lot nicer that guy's costumes. Just more complicated and a bit more revealing.

In my opinion, as long as your parents are generally accepting, they should be fine with it. Just talk to them and be open with what you're doing and why you're doing it. They may be confused and concerned, but just talk it out with them. If you are gay and are doing it to pick up men, then you may want to have a different talk with them. But when you talk, be completely honest. Honesty is extrememly important, and necessary if you want acceptance and/or approval for something like this. However, if your parents are more of the strict, stubborn type, it might be best to hold off on mentioning it to them and try to bring it to them gradually. I hope this helps out someone, and maybe one of these days I'll let my Mom know I'll be dressing as Chii at Otakon. Hey JR. Ive also crossdressed for Halloween as a 50s girl! My mom thought it was cute, but dad wasnt thrilled. I wore a pink poodle skirt with two petticoats under it, a white sweater, bobby socks, saddle shoes and cat-eye glasses. In fact I have this nickname now from my friends as a result of my costume! I think 50s era girls costumes are awesome and I plan on pursuing this style as a crossplay costume in the future!

Xavier
08-14-2004, 09:06 AM
My dad went O.o; when I first put on the schoolgirl uniform I have... he thought I was gay O.o

... he was surprised on the amount of attention I get from the girls (and really really liked) and had to rethink his whole outlook. o.o I just think it's fun.

Atasha
08-14-2004, 09:34 AM
I don't think my parents really mind... i haven't really done any crossplaying buti showed them a picture of Tsukasa (.hack//sign) and said i might want to do this costume. My mom asked "is that a boy?" then i had to explain to her that Tsukasa stuck in the world ect ect. she's in a coma ect ect. I don't think she got it. :rolleyes:
I think as long as i'm not speading $150 for a costume they're ok with it

PepeluTivursky
08-14-2004, 09:48 AM
My mother just realized the other day that Miroku is a male :thumbsup: I guess kimonos don't quickly give that away.

ShadowKusatsu
08-14-2004, 10:57 AM
For last Halloween I dressed up as Marilyn Manson.. it was all in the name of fun and I kinda enjoyed it!

...come to think of it, I've only cosplayed guys so far (Link from LoZ being the other) :)

Shaynringan
08-22-2004, 02:02 AM
My parents don't know I'm gonna crossplay, but it's not extreme or nothin(Sakura from Naruto) but I'm hoping that they don't ask too many questions anyway. ^_^

Sephiroth-chan
08-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Here's an intedresting note.

Men in the biblical times wore DRESSES...well, in OUR standard perceptions. So..not only are they breaking their own rules, does that make their holy men also 'baaaaaad'?

That's why I'm saying... Join the Jenova's Wittnesses. If we get 1000 worhippers to sign a petition, we can make it a legal religion...and all Final Fantasy and anime goods would be tax deductable.

I love the US in that regard.

ShineJob
08-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Wow, some really nice parents O_o;

For me...My mom thinks it's cute because I would look "adorable" crossplaying as Bridget from guilty gear X2. I explained to her that Bridget is a boy and she still didn't care. My dad and brother however, think it's disgusting and blasfamous. o.o;;; So no public crossplay for me...or at least the really masculine ones.

Ami
08-23-2004, 09:18 PM
my parents have offically gone neutral, they won't help me and they won't condone me for it, so my new advice, if your parents condone you dont worry about it be who you are and those parents that support you be very thankful and finally those like mine that are neutral be who you are and not what they want you to be, finally just remember, in a couple years or like me this year you can eventully go on your own driver your own, and they never have to know, again it is up to you.

Maester Seymour
08-23-2004, 10:38 PM
I'm afraid to tell my parents I'm going to...well...technically im not crossplaying, but its crossdressing. look at my sig.. mana from malice mizer. I really badly want to do the costume but I don't know how to tell them. um.. help?

Ami
08-23-2004, 10:48 PM
hmm..... its up to you really, I myself was afraid of the response of my parents if I told them, it took me an act of desperate necessity and a huge dose of "whats the worst it could happen", for me to tell my parents, only thing I can offer for you is simply, be yourself if your parents truly love you then it won't matter, of course they will react differently, all the way from anger to thinking its funny, but still behind all that emotion, there is one core element, love, they will still love you no matter what, and if thats not what your afraid of, again only thing I can say is be true to yourself, if its somthing you are truly interested in, go all ahead full, you are who you are.... sorry if I repeated myself, Ive just had to go though the battle that everybody else here has, and thats what ive found out.... good luck and remember, you know who you are and nothing will ever change that.....

Elvenwolf
08-31-2004, 04:14 PM
Ok, if you're having trouble telling your parents and you've cosplayed before, just say it's only dressing up or just like regular cosplay. If crossdressing is not something you do everyday, then it shouldn't be a big deal to more close-minded parents since you can just ease their worries by saying, it's all pretend and just for fun.

I never had a problem with my parents letting me cosplay characters of the opposite sex, because I'm pretty laid-back about my costuming and so's my mom especially. It's just costuming - I think she'd be more worried if I crossdressed in real life instead of "just for fun." As for sexuality, may I point out Cardcaptor Will? Yeah, he's straight but he wears skirts. Go Will.

Arimasu Kudan
09-02-2004, 02:51 PM
I've managed to get a bunch of my friends to dress up as Azumanga Daioh characters, or if we can't find the right wigs, just Japanese school girls for halloween. The reason I'm saying this in Crossplay is because all but one of us is a guy (and straight too) the other person is a Japanese girl (i think it makes it so much more funny). My parents thought it would be funny too and none of my other friends have seemed to run into any problems. Maybe ppl are just really accepting here (Cambridge, MA)

Crazy Neko CJ
09-02-2004, 03:17 PM
My parents don't care, as long as it's not too revealing. They're alright with me just dressing up as a guy and all. =3

william22378
09-13-2004, 07:40 PM
My mother is Ok about me crossplaying.

mariksgrl
09-14-2004, 12:22 PM
my parents dont care if i crossplay cause umm they had really wierd friends and they are really wierd themselves so heheheheh;;; it all works out for me when i told my mom i finally got the binding down she thought that i was a silly little girl ^-^

RikuGurl
09-14-2004, 01:34 PM
My parents don't mind if I cross-play either-- at least not anymore. The first time I suggested it, I wanted to do an Orphen costume [from Orphen ^^] and my mum said no, but later on, she sort of didn't mind and I've crossplayed before, and now ^__^;

william22378
09-14-2004, 05:47 PM

Men in the biblical times wore DRESSES...well, in OUR standard perceptions. So..not only are they breaking their own rules, does that make their holy men also 'baaaaaad'?

That's why I'm saying... Join the Jenova's Wittnesses. If we get 1000 worhippers to sign a petition, we can make it a legal religion...and all Final Fantasy and anime goods would be tax deductable.

intedresting :bigtu:

Reno69
09-14-2004, 06:18 PM
My mom found out I wanted to dress up as Reno for Otakucon and the only thing she did was tell me to bring my aunt with me when I go to a thrift store so that I could get a senior discount. =P My mom = teh cool. ^.^

kendrian
09-14-2004, 07:25 PM

Some of my friedns started the Church of Cyric, Of which I am a Bishop and the Patriarc of the Chilean branch, and we got the signitures. It's so awsome.