PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holmes, anyone?

alpha_helix
12-27-2009, 09:54 PM
So, I did a little search, and I didn't see a thread like this.

Who's seen the new Sherlock Holmes movie and feels gloriously inspired? I sure hope I'm not the only one!

As soon as I get some more of my WIP projects finished up, I'm starting on Irene Adler's pink dress, including the hat and coat--all of it. Does anyone else have any Holmes-based projects they're planning on working on?

Also, I thought these links might be of interest. IMDB Sherlock Holmes page and Costumer's Guide to Movies page:

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Sherlock%20Holmes/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988045/mediaindex

ShikaChu
12-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Long time want. O: I've always kind of wanted to do this, even before the movie.

I kinda' want to do Irene even though it'd be extremely expensive for me. XD
I may cut some more of my hair off and be some type of Holmes. I'm not sure.

kuroikouma
12-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Oh mann, after seeing Sherlock Holmes for the second time today, I definitely wanna cosplay something based off of it. I absolutely love Irene's pink dress and coat combination, but I think I'd be more comfortable in one of Holmes's outfits. Either that, or Irene's outfit towards the end, with the vest and pants.

moonflower.
12-30-2009, 09:35 AM
I really want to make Irene's pink outfit, her robe outfit, or her final pant outfit. I'm not sure which one yet though. I loved this movie and the designs.

Husk
12-30-2009, 02:00 PM
I really wanna cosplay from this movie...although i havn't decided on an outfit (or a character for that matter as i have a literary fondness for Mary Watson...but Irene Adler kicked ass in the movie). Anybody able to find any screengrabs tho? This movie's costumes don't seem to be flooding the webs yet lol.

Drackt
12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I was watching that scene where Mary bails out Watson from jail, and I'm thinking "I WANT THAT COAT." Maybe...

But in my gallery, I did Richard Roxburgh's version from the Beeb's "Hound of the Baskervilles" a few years ago...

sylus
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
i'm thinking of cosplaying Holmes sometime but as much as i enjoyed the movie i'll probaly do a more classic look of his. not sure when id get to though.

kenshin-chan64
12-31-2009, 12:25 AM
My friend and I are planning on going out this weekend to hit all the thrift stores and see what we can pull together. She's looking forward the most to a top hat, and I'm just giggling about the cheesy fake mustache I'm going to have to wear XD

ItalianPeach
12-31-2009, 11:30 PM
I loved the Coat Irene Alder was wearing in the scene after she left Sherlocke's place. I would love to do one her costumes, though my hair is blonde, and hers is brown, so for the shake of not needing to get a wig commissioned I need to pick an outfit that she doesn't have her hair up.

Mangochutney
01-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Oh man, I just about wet myself seeing all those Masonic vestments. Or maybe they weren't Masons--I forget what the order was called in the film. But all that ostentatious ornamentation over that gorgeous formal full-dress...*shiver* I'm such a sucker for secret society fanciness.

I've got to get some good close-ups of that and see how much bullion I've got left.

ShikaChu
01-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I've kinda always wanted to learn the violin so that I could cosplay Holmes then go to a con, find a place to sit, and just play for a very long period of time.

I think it'd be kinda' cool to do that as L and see if anybody got the connection....

Mangochutney
01-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Irene fans: are you aware that the sparkly rock she wears is an actual real 47-carat canary diamond? :) Apparently it was provided by Symbolic & Chase, of Old Bond Street in London.

(good luck finding something! I hope you'll post if you find a source for decent fakes that size.)

Kat Murz
01-04-2010, 12:45 AM
My friends are I are doing Sherlock, Watson, Blackwood, Irene and Mary this year (I've seen the movie three times now...I didn't plan to but it just happened XD)

I finally found a near exact match to the weird f*ed up fedor type hat Sherlock sports with the outfit of his I've picked to do (though I also plan to do the house coat of AWESOME just to wear as much as possible because its a brilliant piece of clothing)

currently searching for corduroy to make the jacket from...alas I've found it in the wale width I need in every colour BUT Black >___> one store said the had some but a lady bought all 15 meters of it to make a blanket....a blanket! 15 meters! Corduroy!! (at that point I did scream in frustraition a little bit).

Can't wait for this costume, should be lots of fun to wear <3

alpha_helix
01-04-2010, 09:46 AM
if it's part of their regularly stocked inventory, you could probably ask if they'll special order more...or just wait until they have it back in stock :)

Kat Murz
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Checked a few more fabric stores and finally found the fabric match to Sherlock frock coat ^__^ Yaaayy! now to find all the other fabric and pieces I need and start sewing wooot! lol

Geb_Geb
01-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I really hope I will have the time and talent to make Irene pink dress and her velvet coat. I always dream of making an historical outfit and this is a good occasion to make one ^^ Also my boyfriend kinda look like sherlock so I hope to make his outfit too. Maybe in end of 2010 or in 2011 ^^ can't wait to see all of your sherlock holmes costumes :)

costumemercenar
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
The coat Irene Adler wears with her pink dress is what makes the outfit for me. I love how it frames the bustle.

There's an amusing little quote from Jude Law on how the costume was like a "razor blade around his neck" (here (http://boxwish.com/profiles/blogs/jude-law-reveals-sherlock-holmes-costume-was-like-a-razor-blade))... it seems one will have to suffer for one's art again.

Geb_Geb
01-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Does anybody know were to find good ref picture of Irene and Sherlock costume?

there's not much on the costumer guide to movie costumes :(

costumemercenar
01-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Unfortunately, until the DVD comes out, there really aren't going to be many good pictures. I suppose that's a very unhelpful statement...

ReelMovies (http://www.reelmovienews.com/gallery/movies/sherlock-holmes/) has quite a nice gallery of images. Including this (http://www.reelmovienews.com/gallery/irene-adlers-crazy-dress/) rather nice one of her dress and coat I've been waxing lyrical about.

Geb_Geb
01-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I was browsing www.trulyvictorian.com but I have some problem finding the right pattern for adler dress.

Does anybody can help me with that I need an opinion :)

alpha_helix
01-18-2010, 09:58 PM
I was going to use the 1880s cuirass bodice and the 1889 draped skirt, with some playing with the boufants. It looks like Adler's skirt has several small bouffants while the pattern call for two big ones. For the coat, you could use the late bustle coat with more flare in the sleeve and a vent in the back, and for the hate the buckram hats will work with a little playing with the brim.

good luck!

MasterToph
01-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I LOVED this movie.
After much debate.. xD (since my sister is usually the "star" of the movies, and I'm the "sidekick") I wanted to be Sherlock, but decided Watson could possibly be just as fun..
So its resolved that I'll be Watson, my other sister will be Sherlock, and the youngest sister of us will be Irene. I'm trying to get my dad in for going as Blackwood.. lol but we will see =]

Geb_Geb
01-25-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm kinda afraid of doing the costume, if Adler is not in the second movie I know I will regret doing the costume XD (yeah I'm too much into movie not enough into juste the costume :P)

do you think she will return?

Adamantium
02-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Me and my good friend(Watson) went to katsu and my god lots of ppl loved of cotumes! :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47603055@N08/4358152625/

Adamantium
02-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Me and my good friend went as Holmes and Watson and we had so much fun at katsu!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47603055@N08/4358152625/

alpha_helix
02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
I saw yooooou! <3

Geb_Geb
02-16-2010, 08:44 PM
omg great costumes :D

OMGwyn
02-16-2010, 09:46 PM
MY friend and I have decided to do a female version, as much as I hate genderbending, since I'd much rather crossplay, but she talked me into it.
We got the idea after looking at the bodyline lolita site and mentioned a dress I wanted.
So be prepared for the lame-ness that shall be posted xD

Adamantium
02-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I saw yooooou! <3

And I think we saw you too!<3

omg great costumes :D

thank you

aiko_kikuchiyo
02-16-2010, 10:42 PM
I would love to do an Irene Adler cosplay if I could find a Holmes and a Watson to go with. Although my sewing skills are not exceptional it would certainly be fun attempting to make one of her dresses or even just the final outfit with her pants and vest (might be easier to walk around in as well).

It would be fun and I know I have the same brown hair she does (or at least I think I do). Maybe next year though for me or sometime in the summer for FanExpo if I go ^^.

Dark_Butler
02-27-2010, 08:07 AM
I did Holmes on request for a small local convention, but I haven't done him at a larger convention. I have yet to post a pic of mine...being that the version I did was...well...less formal than Adamantium's and more along the lines of "lounging around the house and getting ready to poison the dog...again..." XD

Adamantium
09-08-2010, 07:54 PM
me and my friend bucky went as holmes and watson at last katsu and we had so much fun XD

SirenaBlack
09-11-2010, 04:11 AM
I long to do Watson, but I need a Holmes.

OMGwyn
09-12-2010, 12:15 AM
I haven't done my real SherlockHolmes cosplay yet.
I did like... a lolita version for the lack of anything else better to do and considering I had no time to really make anything haha xD and even had a Lady Watson with me.
Of course no one knew what the hell we were doing but it was still fun

@SirenaBlack <_< I would totally be your Holmes lol My Watson tends to be a stick in the mud ahah and won't let me have any fun D:

SirenaBlack
09-12-2010, 01:16 AM
I think I'd be a good Watson. I am good at sighing and then watching amusedly ^_^

OMGwyn
09-14-2010, 07:43 PM
o.o

You should be more local to my general location.
Yes. Indeed you should.
>_<

kumi-kun
10-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I'd looove to do a Holmes cosplay but I will have to my find 'my watson' first XD but I've seen some great cosplays around the net!

chazcatz
10-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi I have cosplay Irene Adler at August.

I'm living in Hong Kong, my Sherlock is living in Taiwan, we meet in internet and never meet earn other. So I went to Taiwan to meet her this summer.

She is a girl, but I think her Sherlock is nice. And she have a Watson herself, but unfortunately I never meet him.

I don't know can I post the photo here, I'm new here and I'm not finish to read about the rules...

SirenaBlack
10-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Yes you can! Thanks :) You can also upload photos to your profile on here if you want.

You are beautiful and I love your Irene! Did you make the dress or buy it?

rukiakarakura13
07-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Apologies for the Frankenstine-esc revial of this Thread, but what with the second movie coming out this December and the DVD redly available to anyone who has 24.99 CAD I was wondering if anyone was thinking of going to see the premeir in costume. I myself have found a Watson... It strikes me as ridiculous that I should have missed it, as she is my very OCD roommate who keeps me together when all seems in chaos. I'll be doing the intro scene Holmes, with the burgundy frock-coat, or perhaps the 'Grave of Blackwood' outfit. She will be doing the 'Grave of Blackwood' outfit, jacket and all. It's nice that the premeir is in December I suppose, as we'd all roast in the heat otherwise.