PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 - Gordon Freeman - HEV Suit help

cobalt lucario
01-02-2010, 10:46 PM
For Anime North 2010, I've decided to go as Gordon Freeman in the ever so famous HEV suit. There's only one problem: I have no idea of the material that I should use to go about making it!

Initially, based on some research, I thought about making it out of a sort of plastic resin type substance that would be molded to form the suit. Unfortunately, I have no idea where I'd get the stuff, nor how much it would actually cost me. Considering I'm currently enrolled in College, money is definitely a defining factor here.

I've considered insulation foam, cardboard... and that's pretty much it as of late. I have "blueprints" so to speak to actually go about making it, but I'd like to know of the type of material that would give a decent looking HEV suit. It have to be perfect, I just want it to be solid enough to retain it's shape and light enough for it not to uncomfortable (granted, that wouldn't really be a problem in the first place, would it?).

Any suggestions?

~cl~

ghosgreen
01-04-2010, 02:43 AM
You could try the pepakura method, building the base of the suit with cardstock and then strengthening it with fiberglass or smoothcast then smooth and work in details. I haven't tried this one out so I don't know how it'll turn out but it's something. Here's the link: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12691&st=120&p=301912&#entry301912

Loess
01-07-2010, 04:49 PM
+1 for using the pepakura method.

cobalt lucario
01-09-2010, 08:49 PM
You could try the pepakura method, building the base of the suit with cardstock and then strengthening it with fiberglass or smoothcast then smooth and work in details. I haven't tried this one out so I don't know how it'll turn out but it's something. Here's the link: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12691&st=120&p=301912&#entry301912
Ironically, that's the exact site I used to find some helpful information. Although, it's good to hear that that method will work the best. I'll keep that in mind ;).

~cl~