PDA

View Full Version : acne problem EWWW

vash_humanoid
08-28-2003, 01:11 AM
i hve some kinda bad acne..... im sure make up will hlp with that....

BUT WHAT KIND!!! o and maybe some other makeup tips fer guys goin as girls pls????

DarkindDreamer
08-28-2003, 02:57 AM
oww.. well i would suggest Max factor.. not the cheapest mack up.. but it's the best covering.. the stick mack up foudation will cover anything up.. just make sure your skin is well cleaned.. but still has natural oils.. or put a light lotion on.. so it won't clog your pores.. and make sure you pat it on with a sponge.. and not rub it.. or your acne will only get worse.. other than the foundation.. you can use whatever for your powders..lips and yadda yadda

Nine
08-28-2003, 03:00 AM
I use some random foundation I bought at the store, my skin tone, and it worked very well. If you have a lot of acne, it won't do much of a job. It will look like acne, that's just your skin color. Unless you're a professonal make up artist, you won't be able to make it disappear, but just find a foundation in your skin tone.

Karisu-sama
08-28-2003, 05:10 AM
Girls get acne too... :p My daughter uses tinted acne medication as coverup.

As people have said: Use FOUNDATION. (This gives your face a nice even color before contouring it with blushes. And run it down to the neck too - an obvious abrupt change from foundation to natural skin, instead of a thinning out, doesn't look good.)

Lady
08-28-2003, 01:10 PM
Try to avoid makeup with petroleum or lots of oils in their ingrediants, as they can make the situation worse as you try to conceal. I've found Almay and Cover Girl to be pretty light on the oils*nods*

Also, you may want to try Proactiv. I've been using it for about 9 months so far and it really does work (and is pretty inexpensive considering what you get for the price and how long it lasts). I'm down to maybe one or two very small blemishes that go away within a day or two, and that's if I don't stick to the plan like you're supposed to (I tend to not use their mask as often as I should). And if you don't see any improvements after 2 months, there's a money back guarantee.

I hope this helps!

-Lady, hoping she didn't sound like an advertisement

Arisugawa Juri
08-28-2003, 01:39 PM
I used Proactiv, and it worked for the first few months but then caused me to break out in blemishes worse than what I had before I began using the solution. I use Differin cream and it works wonderfully. Also, Dermalogica's daily facial scrub is spectacular. I've been using it for a month and have not encountered one blemish since I began to use it.

As for makeup, Neutrogena's Skin Clearing makeup works quite well.

KnuxieChan
08-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Ah, Acne sucks. I got it too >.<' I usually just put on powder to cover it up. It usually works.

Xx Lulu xX
08-28-2003, 02:11 PM
When i break out I have lots of ways to tame it.....

--use a facial scrub-preferably for a sensitive skin, even if your skin isnt, if your too harsh on your acne, it can make it work

--I use differin....doesnt make it go away for me, but makes it a lot lest noticable

--Toothpaste....yes i know your all wondering wtf...im not gonna recomend it for everyone, but it helps me....dries up my acne...as well as everywhere else i put it lol so only use it as a last resort, and if you do try it, watch yoru eyes..the vapors kill lol

--I put aloe on my face...it says its good for acne on the bottle, im not sure lol but it does take redness away from my face..again, vapors...ich, and when it dries, it feels like you have a plastic mask on...

--I use a facial toner, closes my pores....and gives a nice refreshign "ahh" for mah face

I hoep that helps in anyway

BishiJZ
08-28-2003, 03:24 PM
If you want to cover it up, yeah use a good foundation. Don't go and buy cheap $3 a bottle foundation either, it might look ok at first but it wears off in about 30 minutes. I use Clinique and it's one of the best I've found.

If you want to treat your acne, Clinique also has some really strong acne lotion that comes in a tube. Just a little dot of the stuff works wonders.

yuffieleonheart
08-28-2003, 04:19 PM
o.o i second the toothpaste! XD my mom used to do it when she modeled and i started doing it and it really really works O.O also as weird as this might sound o.x a potato slice over the pimple/acne will take away some of the redness

Xx Lulu xX
08-28-2003, 04:24 PM
^^ woot for the toothpasters! X3 i love my toothpasteee

musica heart
08-28-2003, 04:55 PM
if you really just want to get rid of skin problems..the best thing to do is actually go to the dermatologist. Everyones skin type and acne problem is different and one treatment may not work for the other.
I have had experiance with proactive and personally it did not work to well, so just go to the dermatologist and get somthing prescribed for your skin.

L to the 3rd
08-28-2003, 05:00 PM
it is really hard to say what will work because
every person is different. the basics are
to use clearasil since it is medicated and it's
skin-tone colored. wash your face often and apply mild lotion that is oil free.

engrish
08-28-2003, 11:14 PM
clearasil? the only thing that did was dry the hell out of my skin. But yeah i guess it doesn't hurt to try it once. It's best to use soap and makeup that is "hypoallergenic" or "non-comedogenic". Note: it's almost a guarantee that it will be more expensive. Seeing a dermatologist is like pulling out the heavy artillary b/c they're quite expensive. If you have insurrance you might want to look into it. With insurrance your copayment might be like $20/ visit but that depends on the doctor/ your insurrance. If your insurrance won't cover it then chances are it's too expensive for most people to afford over $100/ visit. Drugs might cost about $5 copay assuming your insurrance covers it. In fact you might not have to go see a dermatologist, b/c a regular doctor can prescribe acne drugs too! Next time you see your doctor for your check up you might want to ask him/ her about it. That's what i did and he prescribed
minocycline pills and clindamycine wipe pads....worked for me :bigtu:

However I think those drugs are by prescription only so if you can't get a doctor to sign off you're SOL.

DaphHime
08-29-2003, 12:45 AM
I was just about to ask the same question. I've been breaking out real bad lately. There are some real creative ideas here. I've never heard of useing toothpaste or poatos. Maybe I'll do that if worse comes to worse.

I've tried useing foundation but it doesn't work for me. Maybe I'm just not putting it on right.

I recommend going to a doctor or dermatiogist. They'll probably be your best bet since everyone has a different skin type and what works for one person might not work for another. I've even taken oral (pills) antiboicts, since acne is cause by bacteria, to control acne. Only problem with that was I felt real nauous after words and even threw up a few times after taking them. Espeally if I didn't eat before takeing them.

oninomiko
08-29-2003, 12:58 AM
Ahhhh... cant think at 1:40 am... Not sure what its called, but its laundry soap... but in a bar... you can get it at just about any food market in the laundry isle... *taps head* For some reason I -think- it starts with a D... it looks old fashioned, in a white, green, and red wrapper I think.

My mom used to use it when she was little... used it once, it never came back. Didnt work for me... but you can give it a try. Becareful on your face though! That stuffs probably strong...

Try going to a dermatologist though if you can, they put me on these pill things... and it works... when I remember to take them... ^^;;

chai_fiend
08-29-2003, 09:34 AM
acne probs...i hav that, but what person my age doesn't. in any case i use proactiv. yes, the stuff on the late nite infomercial actually does work-well for me anyway. but its kinda expensive. the main ingredient is benzol(sp?) peroxide so try a product w/ that in it. as for makeup, gotta go w/ MAC. once again, a bit pricey but it works for everyone and its simply the best makeup out there and it lasts for yrs too. so you'll get a flawless face (boi or girl) and it'll be worth the money. :thumbsup:

Menchi
08-29-2003, 01:43 PM
its kinda on topic....but i dont knwo. i dont have the acne problem so much, but i have a red patch on my face. what i do with it is a lil foundation (its this stuff on a stick like lipstick..is neat stuff) an then a powder (loose or pressed...it doesnt matter) to even out any discolorations.

megumibish
08-29-2003, 05:35 PM
for covering up redness use something green...they carry green concealer sticks at most drug stores...this basically cancels the redness since green and red make a brownish color. I had to use green eyeshadow for my cuz's back since she has back acne and was wearing a lowback dress. then use translucent powder in high concentration for areas that are very hard to cover and uses a good liquid/stick foundation..cream foundations are only good for unoily skin btw. then powder over the foundation to set it. then use blush to contour your face since it looks unnatural for your face to be completely flat looking in color. areas to do it are the forehead on the sides, cheeks, and chin. hope that helps.

vash_humanoid
08-30-2003, 01:05 AM
thnx!... imma try the toothpaste thing tonite and hope it werks :D cuz usally products used fer something diff than what ur using it as werk ^_^

but hey i need other make up tips and maybe some tips to mkae my body ook more "girlish"

Chanté
08-30-2003, 02:34 AM
thnx!... imma try the toothpaste thing tonite and hope it werks :D cuz usally products used fer something diff than what ur using it as werk ^_^

but hey i need other make up tips and maybe some tips to mkae my body ook more "girlish"
You guys ^^; Toothpaste doesn't work. It's a myth that models in Hollywood started passing around a few years ago. It basically gives you a placebo effect (you think it works but it doesn't really do anything, just sits on the pimple).

While the following isn't anything I can scientifically prove, I can tell you that IT WORKED FOR ME because I had terrible acne two years ago... and look at me now (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=59852)! (I'm the girl :B)

Most products on the market work only for a few months - and then begin to irritate your skin all over again. This is because of the heavy amounts of chemicals and colorings that corporations for some reason feel they need to include in their products. Additionally, all face washes dry out your skin, so if you don't moisturize after washing your face clean, your own flakes will clog your pores, making the problem worse.

What should you use? BURT'S BEES (http://www.burtsbees.com). This has been my regimen for the past six months and I seriously thank God for coming across a product line that actually isn't marketed by corporate lies - and made my skin nearly perfect again. (Read the testimonials on the site if you don't believe me! =D)

Every morning and night (no more than three times a day):
1) Garden Tomato Complexion Soap (http://www1.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10065&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10015). Self-explanitory. ^^
2) Garden Tomato Toner (http://www1.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10193&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10015). Swipe your face with a cotton ball with this stuff. You'll be surprised how much dirt is still on your face, even after washing. ^^ After this, your face is truly clean. =D
3) Beeswax Moisturizing Creme (http://www1.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10081&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10015). Use a light amount during the day and a heavy amount before bedtime. You'll wake up in the morning and your face will feel GREAT. I love waking up and not feeling like I have to run to the bathroom immediately to wash my face! Plus, this just looks great on your face. I *never* wear foundation anymore - I love the glow this moisturizer gives.

Like with all products, switching to a new skincare regimen will make your face slightly break out more for like the first few days. Be patient and you won't be disappointed. ^___^

Burt's Bees is gaining popularity and is sold now in several specialty beauty shops and stores like Savon. So you don't have to buy online anymore. ^^;;

And I hope I didn't come across wrong in this post... I just want to help with a strategy that WORKED for me! (Not even prescribed acne medicine did!! x-X) I know I sound like I'm advertising but you needn't take my word for it... but DO treat your skin well instead of just covering it up!

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-15-2003, 06:37 PM
Actually, I wouldn't use make up at all. You will only make the situation worse in the long run. Your best off seeing a doctor or Dermatiogist.

Honestly all makeup is, is a form of paint,chemical, or dirt. ..
Do you really want more dirt and oils in your pores?
Try to stay away from fatty foods, and drink more water.
..For my face I use a kelp and seaweed soap, it works rather well for me, plus it doesn't dry up my skin.

archangeli
09-15-2003, 08:24 PM
*sigh* i suggest you guys (and girls) run out to the library and borrow Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me and The Beauty Bible, both by Paula Begoun.

The toothpaste thing works - but only if it's the paste kind, no fancy gels or whiteners. However, depending on the brand, there's stuff in toothpaste that can make it clog your pores. If you break out around the mouth, it may be your toothpaste - time for a switch.

"Hypoallergenic" or "non-comedogenic" mean absolutely NOTHING because the FDA doesn't require cosmetic lines to back up any of their claims with clinical proof. Always be suspicious if they say "clinical tests show . . . " Who supervised these tests? Why aren't the results published in a respectable medical journal? Are they available to the public? In most cases - NO.

OMG... this is gonna turn into a rant....

Alright - here's what I did to combat my acne - I washed my face 4 times a day with a really good glycerin soap and followed with a BHA moisturizer. (Read the above mentioned books for the difference between AHA's and BHA's). It helped a bit. Then I went on birth control and lo and behold - everything cleared up!! Now I realize that the BCP isn't an option for you guys, but see a dermatologist because your condition may be hormonal. If you have cystic acne there's nothing you can wash/eat with you get rid of it - you need special meds!

Now, for make-up: I recommend Studio Finish Concealer by M.A.C. - you can layer it and blend it in really well and IT COVERS!!! And it comes in like 50,000 shades (well, not really, but damn close!). I then set it with Revlon's Shine Control Mattifying Powder. Both products contain low SPF's, so use a sunscreen first!! Sun damage is the last thing you need on top of acneic skin...

Nutrition and cosmetology are my 2 huge side interests. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them as intelligently as I can.

Tiirz
09-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Since I, lazy soul that I am, haven't set up my fiancee with an account on this board of his very own, I'm letting him borrow my account for this post, since he has dealt with this problem...

Releasing Control Art Restrictions to Level 2:

Ooookay! Lemme see if I can help out here. First of all, I am am professional makeup artist, with about fifteen years of experience in both television and film as well as live theater, and I also suffered from almost disfiguring acne when I was in high school. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here, but there is so much completely unadulterated shit that gets posted on boards and ends up damaging people that I generally try to establish who I am before I answer a post like this.
First off, make up. Fortunately, most modern theatrical and commercial make up companies are very careful about their formulations and ingredients, so unless you have a particular allergy, you aren't going to put yourself at too much risk, brand by brand. Personally, I tend to use Max Factor, Ben Nye, Visiora, Shu Uimura and MAC, as well as RCMA, but there are a number of other brands out there that are good as well. The important thing is to make sure you moisturize your skin before hand and use a good cleaning product to completely remove the make up afterwards. You may also want to use a good toner, or astringent like Witch Hazel afterward, but ONLY when you have totally cleaned your skin. I also like to use a good facial mask once a week, when I can.
As for the acne, the very best thing you can do is see a good dermatologist. If you are suffering from severe acne, this is absolutely VITAL if you are going to be using make up frequently. Actually, you need to do this anyway. Remember, it's your face, and acne has absolutely no mercy. I suffered from the form that tends to manifest as deep cysts, and today, some fifteen years after treatment I have only a few scars under my jaw to remind me.
What I took was a drug called Acutane. At the time it was just coming off the experimental list, and I had to pressure my dermatologist to perscribe it. It is a VERY potent drug that works by taking control of the sebaceous glands. I took it for a period of almost six months, but I have been mostly acne free since then. You may have to convince your dermatologist to put you on this course of treatment, as some of the side effects can be rather drastic. (I personally had some mood swings, dehydration, peeling skin and itching) . But it was more that worth it. Also, if you are female, be aware that if you are pregnant while taking Acutane there is a risk of certain birth defects occuring. These DO NOT occure after you have ceased taking the drug, but you may be perscribed birth control pills while you are on the perscription. Make sure, however, that the dermatolgist does not attempt to put you on a half-dose, as from what I have seen this does not do nearly as much good in the long term.
I wish you all the luck in the world. If you need more help, feel free to ask.

Katse
09-17-2003, 04:11 AM
I agree with everything that Tiirz has said about makeup (I worked at a theatre for six years, so I checked it out with some of makeup artists I know). My two cents on the acne problem are strictly from a medical standpoint.

Accutane is a very dangerous drug, and personally, I would not recommend for it anyone. One patient presented to our pharmacology class had taken the drug and became sterile. Others have died from the medication. Tetracycline, clindamycin and chloramphenicol are the three oral antibiotics usually prescribed to clear up acne. I have listed their most dangerous side effects--because people with acne are usually prescribed these drugs for much longer than the standard 10 day dose, the chances of experiences these side effects increases as the body becomes saturated with the drug.

Tetracycline-- A Few Common Side Effects:
--Stomach Pain
--Vomiting
--Diarrhea
--Staining of the teeth of unborn foetus
--Malformation of enamel in unborn foetus

Clindamycin--A Deadly Side Effect:
--ulcerative colitis, causing sore throat, stomach complications, frequent and bloody stools, and may result in death.

Chloramphenicol--A Few Side Effects:
--depressed bone marrow
--extremely low white blood cell counts
--increased susceptibility to infection that could cause death

What I recommend:

1. Use a natural cotton face cloth.
2. Use Castile soap. It may be hard to find, but check online stores that sell natural food and beauty products. The soap is made from olive oil and soda and is the best soap for your skin. Medicated soaps will only make the problem worse.
3. Use either witch hazel (available in all pharmacies) or diluted tea tree oil as a mild astringent. Some people can have reactions to both of these, so check to see which is best for you.

Diet:
Believe it or not, recent studies have shown that people consuming alot of heavier animal products (products full of animal fats and oils, like bacon, and ham, milk, cheese, anything deep fried in animal fat or lard) do have more acne. Our bodies simply release these heavier fats onto our skins virtually unchanged. Easing up on the animal fats and fried foods may help improve your complexion. You may also want to start taking a zinc gluconate (30 mg) supplement every day. Many people have reported improvement after just this addition to their diet.

Homeopathic remedies (these can be taken by anyone without fear of overdose or deadly side effect. Completely natural, these are proven treatments for acne dating back 200 years):
Antimonium tartaricum--for stubborn acne that forms a large number of pustules.
Hepar sulphuris calcareum--take if you have acne that often fills with pus.
Kali bromatum--the best general treatement for all kinds of acne, and particularly for acne that is itchy, or acne that appears on chest and shoulders as well as the face.
Sulphur--for chronic acne characterized by rough, hard skin that gets worse from washing the affected area. You may also be suffering from an itchy, burning sensation as well.

You may purchase homeopathic remedies online or from a number of pharmacies--just ask around in your area. I prefer the Boiron brand, however, that's a personal preference only--I've not had any problems using their remedies thus far. You will find that the remedies come in different potencies or concentrations--I recommend using the lowest (usually 6cc or 6x). Take the recommended dosage on the bottle--results may take a week or more, depending on how bad the case of acne. If it is not improving within two weeks, try a higher concentration (30cc or 30x) for another week. If that doesn't help, consult a local homeopath for higher doses, or perhaps a different remedy (everyone is different).

You may notice that your acne will get worse when you start taking the homeopathic remedy. Don't worry! It's temporary, and is completely normal. It's called a "homeopathic aggravation" and it means that the remedy is working on correcting your body so that it cures itself.

These remedies were used back during the Victorian Ages when acne was seen on every face because of improper hygiene and airborn pollutants from newly developed industries. If you do try any of these remedies, please let me know if it worked for you. It be wonderful to hear that such an old treatment still beats any of our new ones. :)

Hope this helped!

Katse

Michela
09-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Lessee... though I only had a small amount of teenage pimples, (nothing close to acne) my doctor presumed it was acne and prescribed facial pads... I still use them now and they work like a dream (now, I have much less than what can be expected from someone my age. :)) When I do have a problem, though, I use a bit concealer over the area and afterward, you would hardly know it was there. (FYI, I bought the concealer from Victoria's Secret after I was ambushed by a saleslady wanting to do my makeup... that's how I decided what hue I would use... that's just a suggestion, though. ^_^) Over the concealer, you can use a powder to finish everything off. Inexpensive, but good quality powders can be found at any convenience store, if you feel uncomfortable in a department store.

One last thing, to prevent from any further acne, use oil-free concealer. The oil can make the skin greasy and prone to breakouts.

mitylene
09-18-2003, 08:10 PM
I agree with what everyone has said about going to a dermatologist. But this is what I basically do to cover up stuff.

Before you put make up on
-Wash your face with stuff that doesn't dry your skin out too much
-Toner
-Moisturizer

Then
-Concealer on the stuff you really want to hide. Right on pimples and stuff
-Foundation lightly all over
-Powder that sucks up the oil

-Really good makeup remover

I don't really wear makeup much at all. Proboblay only for cosplay. I don't have very good skin either it's super sensitive and I don't take very good care of it. But I'll wear makeup for the cons just to cover up on everything. Hope this was somewhat helpful. :)

KuroBara
09-18-2003, 08:56 PM
I second Tiirz's reccomendation for Acutane. You need a dermatologist, and they'll probably try some other (less severe) treatments before putting you on that. Keep in mind that Acutane has been linked with depression, it varies in severity but some teens on it have committed suicide. If you're prone to depression, it's not the treatment for you.

Pendrell
09-19-2003, 11:52 AM
I'd like to randomly add that I've been on Accutane before. My acne wasn't severe; it was certainly persistent, though. After going through astringents of varying strengths and various topical gels, my dermatologist decided to prescribe Accutane. After my three-month treatment, my skin was completely free of acne. I tried my darnedest to keep it that way... but after a few months, my acne more or less came back. ;_; It's not nearly as bad as it was before the treatment, but it's still rather annoying. <_<

I'd still recommend Accutane for anyone who really, REALLY wants/needs to get rid of their acne. ^_^

Tiirz
09-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Actually, that was my honey, Stephen, using my account. My acne, which I didn't get until I was 18, was cleared up by birth control pills, and even though I've been off of them for several years now, I don't have anywhere near the problem. Stephen feels the risks were worth the end result with the Acutane, as he'd be badly scarred by now without it.

dizzylizzy
09-19-2003, 11:57 PM
edit: -logged in under wrong name, oops!-

AniMajor
10-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Yeah, yeah, I'm reviving an old thread, but I found something that might be useful. http://www.acne.org/

Seems simple enough. And, according to the galleries, it seems to work.

kdthompson
10-05-2003, 06:24 PM
I've got alot fo uneven splotching on my face and I used theater make up and it works perfectly. But just as everyone else has said used some kind of base to keep the makeup from seeping into your poors.

As for clearing up acne, I've tried most everything on the market and it never worked for me. But with my oily complection, every night before going to bed I rub corn starch into my skin and simply wash it off in the morning. I've been doing this for about two years now and you can't tell I'm stil suffering from acne. I know it sounds weird, but it makes more sence than some of the other suggestions I've gotten over the years.