PDA

View Full Version : Camping tips?

Iori E
08-28-2003, 02:36 AM
For those of you who've been camping a fair amount, any advice you could give to us city dwellers? Which supplies to bring? What kind of insect repellents to use? How to prepare for sleeping outdoors?

Basically anything you can offer is welcome.

Admin
08-28-2003, 02:43 AM
We're actually putting together a checklist of stuff to bring, should be up in a few days. In the meantime if people want to fill this thread up with advice go right ahead as we can just add stuff to the master list.

I've suggested a few things in the info thread, mainly toiletries, a towel, good shoes, long-sleeve shirts and jeans. Insect repellant, etc. . .

One of the attendees (username: Cherry) is licensed to practice first aid and will be bringing a whole host of stuff in case anyone has a run-in with poison oak or any sharp stuff.

Oh, something I haven't seen many people talk about but is very easy to forget - bring a sleeping bag, cot, or a couple of thick blankets. And don't forget a pillow! I've been on camping trips before where 1/3 of the people forgot to bring something to sleep in. :)

Iori E
08-28-2003, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the info, Admin. :)

My main concern is with the insect repellents. I've been going around Google for a while (like I usually do), and while government experts recommend insect repellents that contain DEET, I've seen quite a few websites say bad stuff about the chemical. (Some say it was partly responsible for the Gulf War Syndrome...) o_O

Admin
08-28-2003, 03:00 AM
I usually use Deep Woods Off or something similar. It smells horrible but everyone else will smell like it too.
Here's a good page that has links to a lot of camping resources if you want to look around.
http://camping.about.com/cs/advicetips/

Dark Vision
08-28-2003, 04:00 PM
dododdoooooooo...I'm bored, so survival tips galore.

Other basic items to bring includes the almost necessary flash light. Its pretty important to carry one if you go off to anywhere since being lost and the chance of nightfall to come is a bad thing.

There's alwasy that emergency blanket, which even if you don't use, it can be used as an emergency futuristic cape thingie for cosplay...(yes i've done it before)

If you're going hiking and no one has a sense of direction( which is a lot different in a forest), a compass, and maybe flag ties if you're really unsure of the area. Flag ties are usually bright red stips that you tie to tree branches, bushes, to find you way back.

If you see a bear.... try not run, the bear can run faster.(well run later after you separate a good distance.)

Umm beware of bushes, not sure of the snakes out there, but well a bush isn't really a friendly toilet.

If you're paranoid about getting lost
- flashlight
-2 way radio
-flares
-gps device
-fog horn
-spot light
All extremely excessive, but i've known people to use them. I'm not sure how massive this area is or the number of roads around so this is really for the paranoid. (btw it really does suck to get lost in forest thats 25 sq miles)

Okay I can i see i'm just bored, I don't even know why i mentioned bears, but these are things i've been known to carry along on some of my hunting trips.
note: # of animals I shot or killed: 0
Markmanship level: Deadly accurate

O and happy camping... i hope i didn't make anyone paranoid now.....

RoseDuelist
08-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Also never step between rocks. You can step on a snake, scorpian (don't know if they are in that area), or even a black widow or violin spider. If you cannot see exactly where your foot is going to land and 6 inches to a foot radius around it.. don't step!!

That's not exactly something to bring, but it's good advice.

Hmmm.. what else. Oh, hairspray is a bad idea. Yes, I know, cosplay and hair spray sort of go together, but on observance I notice knats LOVE hairspray. And with hardly anywhere to wash it off.. ewww.. your in for one creepy and distrubing knight.
That's just my own observance though. Maybe the knats in Sequoia are different than where we are going.. lol.

Hmmmm... bring TP. :)

KaineMaxwell
08-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Don't let raccoons steal your cooler.
(true story for me.)

RoseDuelist
08-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Kaine, are you flying all the way out here to CA for this or are you just posting like a nut? :/

KaineMaxwell
08-28-2003, 04:51 PM
It was camping advice. I was camping with my father once and raccoons started stealing our cooler, one was drinking out my father's can, which he cut into a cup, and a skunk tried to take a nap at our campsite...all in one evening.)

Tye your food up and tried to keep it suspended in the trees or in your car/truck so the animals don't eat it.

RoseDuelist
08-28-2003, 05:30 PM
No trunk! Bad idea!! If their are bears in the area they'll just rip your trunk right off. Either use the big metal bins they have at campsites (don't know if they are here or not. This was in Sequoia) or tie it in a tree.

Once I slept in a van and we left the food in there with me. I woke up to a bear looking in the window at me. He didn't do anything but yikes!!

Cherry
08-28-2003, 05:48 PM
As far as medical supplies go, no one needs to worry about bringing first aid. Trust me, I have an entire backpack filled to the brim with different things of the sort.

However, just as a friendly reminder, please, EVERYONE REMEMBER TO BRING THE CORRECT MEDICINES YOU NEED IF YOU ARE ON ANY MEDICATION.

X_X; At least we're only camping one night. Real camping actually is usually pretty harsh.

I'm really looking forward to this!

BlueLady
08-28-2003, 09:45 PM
It's one night..if something goes that horribly bad for someone they can sleep in my car. flashlights people..remember the flashlights!!

specially if your in my tent. im borrowing it so no laterns in it!!

Dark Vision
08-29-2003, 02:28 AM
Hey does anyone know if cell phone coverage is applicable there. It'll be nice for an emergency.

Iori E
08-29-2003, 05:07 AM
I just wish I knew a little more about the park other than the endless compliments and recommendations found in the many reviews throughout the Internet. I'd rather find out all the types of animals that live there rather than read more about how beautiful the scenery is. (As if I didn't know that already...)

I heard about this insect repellent called "Crocodile." It's made by www.dancingroots.com and it's all-natural, containing no DEET or citronella. Does anyone recommend it? Or would I just be wasting my money?

Admin
08-29-2003, 05:10 AM
I've used Avon "Skin So Soft" quite a few times in the past and it worked, and I'm a mosquito magnet. Smells a bit girly but it smells better than Off. :)

Iori E
08-29-2003, 05:19 AM
I've used Avon "Skin So Soft" quite a few times in the past and it worked, and I'm a mosquito magnet. Smells a bit girly but it smells better than Off. :)

I've heard of that stuff. But I think I read somewhere that studies showed an application of Skin So Soft to only work for less than 10 minutes on average. If I find that article again, I'll post it here.

I just wanted to know if there are any bears or snakes in the park.

Admin
08-29-2003, 05:28 AM
We've been planning on heading up to the park to take photos of our camp area but since labor day weekend is upon us we're going to have to wait until Tuesday when it's not overrun with people in our section. When we go up there I'll ask the park ranger info about bears and other animals.

Iori E
09-03-2003, 12:52 AM
Just a couple of questions: How far away from our camping area is the parking? And if we wanted to only stay for the day, is there a time when we should be starting to leave? Or can we leave at any time, even during the night? (I'm guessing it would be too hard to go back to our cars in such darkness...)

Admin
09-03-2003, 01:38 AM
We have 9 free parking spots right next to the campsites. All other cars have to pay $2 and park near the front of the campground, but it's not that far. As far as leaving during the night, I don't think they can legally keep you trapped or anything ;)

Admin
09-03-2003, 01:42 AM
I just realized I forgot to move the maps over to the new forums. Here's a link to the post that has the maps (now updated) in it, with parking spots marked as well.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=398265&postcount=2