PDA

View Full Version : White Hair?

Jun_Kazama
08-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Ok this isn't really a wig thread but i figured it'd be the best place to ask since its hair related.
I want to do an Ivy costume from the Soul Calibur games and I was wondering if there was anything I could use to make my hair white. I don't want to dye it (can you even do that?) and a wig wouldn't be an option really, so I wanted to know if there was something i could put in my hair to make it temporarily white? (my hair is brown/dark brown..might be black when I do this costume though..)

That spray on stuff is no good I know, and I can't find any hair mascara at all never mind finding white kind...

Also what can I use to keep my hair slicked back? I've tried gel and it doesn't work on my hair..all it does is make my hair crunchy and nasty and I used some "super strong hold" kind too. It never stays in place and just goes back to being down and in my face...I've heard of hair cement..would that work?

And can I use both in my hair at the same time?

I tried finding a reference pic and i've searched all over but can't find one of her 2nd costume from SC2. Sorry ^_^"
Thats the costume i was planning on doing..

hoshikage
08-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Seriously, the best way I know of to get temporarily white hair is to use a wig. I used color-spray to try and make someone's hair white once... it took several cans, reeked to high heaven (we had to keep stopping so we could breathe), rubbed off everywhere, and basically turned her hair into straw, to boot. It was horrible. I don't know if maybe a different brand would have worked better, but the darker your hair, the more you're going to have to cake on, just like paint, in order to keep your real color from showing through. And in the end, my friend's hair still turned out more gray than white, no matter how much I caked on.... ugh...

AniMajor
08-28-2003, 01:10 PM
I needed white hair, so I went with a wig. If you have issues with the wig not covering your hair, if it was pulled back, you chould use a bit of the canned stuff and cake it on and it should look okay. If you're looking for white, get a silver white wig, not platnium blonde.

HowlinMadMurphy
08-28-2003, 03:33 PM
There's no temporary fix for white hair. It's bleach, or wig.
All of that spray stuff is the same, and even if you could find white hair mascara, it'd look all nasty too.
All gel is going to make your hair crunchy. That's how it holds so well. You just can't touch it or brush it after it's dried.
If you really just don't like gel, try mousse. It'll give you decent hold (if you use enough) and you can brush it out after (but it won't hold after you brush it.)
Why isn't a wig an option? too expensive? Don't like how they look?
It's really worth the investment. You can wear the wig anytime, and not go through a bunch of work like with styling your real hair. Just get a decent quality one, and take care of it. You'll look great.

KIL78
08-28-2003, 10:27 PM
If you do not want to do anything to your hair then the only option is a wig

Beware_UY7
08-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Okay... you don't HAVE to bleach your hair or use sprays or gels. Ben Nye make-up (are god) have a temp hair colour that it bascially a liquid that you paint onto your hair once you've styled it. You might want to keep the bottle with you for touch-ups, as too much touching of the hair will make some of it com off. It's pretty messy to apply, so gloves and a sponge are good.
You can get this at most costume/make-up stores, or online.

Jun_Kazama
08-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Thanx guys I appreciate he help..oi looks like im in a tough spot then eh? ^_^"
The reason I dont want to use a wig is b/c her hair is slicked back and it just wouldn't look right if I treid to do that w/ a wig i think. Plus I'm gonna be putting so much money into my costumes as it is I don't think i'll be able to get one..(i already need another wig or two for costumes besides this one). not ot mention that if i even attempted to style a wig I'd probably end up butchering it.

I'd bleach my hair but it'd probably damage it even more (it falls out when i wash it, I don't even want to think what bleach would do to it O_O).

I've tried mouse on my hair before but that didn't work either.

I'll have to try out that Ben Nye stuff if i can find it and see if it works. Thanx!

Gren
08-29-2003, 12:10 PM
If the hair is slicked back and immobile, then it should be much easier to use the various temporary color applications. Just make sure you get that hair god and imobile.

Psychotic Jei
08-31-2003, 04:15 PM
Solve both problems at once. Go to a salon and check their sections for the color hair gel. It actually looks rather nice if you take your time on putting it in. I just recently did my friends gold for a costume, looked really nice.

The Unknown
09-02-2003, 01:18 AM
If you ever thought about using gels......use ICE styling gels. They come in different colors, basically its styling glue, and it makes your hair litterally the color you want. My hair is almost jet black and I used it and got a straight blue... so if that helps ya. or you can bleach your hair for a bit and then wait a while, then dye it back to your natural color...thats what I do sometimes...

Jun_Kazama
09-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Ice gel? do you know if they make it in white? I've heard thier products are really good for keeping things in place.

libelle
09-04-2003, 10:33 AM
ok ok ok... i think i know what you could do...

I had that same problem too. I wanted to make rogue's evolution costume and didnt want to use a wig, since my hair is pretty similar to hers.
I searched the web inside and out for a site that could explain how they did the white shunk of hair to actress Anna Paquin, but found none. Looking at the movie pictures, I figured that they just bleached her hair to the lightest shade and use computer effects on the movie posters.

But I kept searching because I knew there must be something to dye your hair white and finally.. ding ding! found the answer...

I ended on Manic Panic's hair dye website and found out that indeed there's something called a "toner" to give the hair a shade of white.

Ok, but how does it works? easy:

I ordered the toner and emailed Manic Panic and recieved the instructions:

you have to bleach your hair the lighest shade of blonde you can get. Using dust bleach with cream peroxide 40. ** BE CAREFUL!** if your hair is thin like mine is, you'll have to be very aware that, that number of peroxide is the strongest and could damage your hair pretty badly.

Keep cheking your hair until you think its ready and really blonde.

Then you can use the toner. Manic Panic's toner is Virgin Snow.

Dry your hair and you just put it in the strand of bleached hair WITHOUT USING MORE PEROXIDE, just the toner. and in around 15 to 30 minutes you get the resutls...

check this link to see results...

http://www.manicpanic.com/best%20hair%20color/virginsnow.html

http://www.manicpanic.com/best_of_best.html

I havent try it myself yet.. I'm waiting to bleach my hair. I'll let you know how it comes out!

hope that helped! ^o^

~libelle

strychnine
09-08-2003, 02:09 AM
I had to make streaks in my hair at one point, and I used that cheap white face paint you can get at any dollar store...which is kind of cool, because you can style it too. It takes a couple of shampoos to get rid of it though...

DeirdraMaeron
01-26-2004, 12:00 AM
Does anybody know how damaging manic panic is to hair? I'm considering using the virgin snow stuff because I want my hair to be white and it is currently red orange (which I don't think wants to come out) but I'm afraid of frying my hair. I have been growing my hair out since sixth grade (and I'm a junior in college now) so it's very long. Also, are you supposed to use that toner stuff right after you bleach it or do you wait a day or two (or more)? I've never tried anything like this with my hair before (only red shades up to this point) so advice is more than welcome. Help?

kazamaCEO
01-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Well, it just figures, I had the hardest time finding white toner when I needed it for my bangs, lol... >_<

I was messing around in the local hair care store the other day and was checking out the Ice products in case I ever needed I riduclously spiky wig... I do know for a fact that they have that spiking gel stuff in silver, though it looked pretty white in the picture. I think that would be your best option if the wig ain't gonna work. :)

KaraokeKate
01-26-2004, 03:30 PM
The toner itself doesn't damage your hair, it's the bleaching process that you need to worry about.

So far, we have not successfully been able to get a true white using the manic panic bleach/toner method on either a blonde or a brunette. The lightest it got was super-pale yellow on the brunette, and very light ash blonde on the blonde. Both people's hair became very brittle after the extreme amount of bleaching required.

A wig would be safest, but if that isn't an option, I'd suggest the Ben Nye.

-Katie