PDA

View Full Version : First-time skit questions...

Beware_UY7
08-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Well, I've written a short, comedy skit for my cosplay group and I... but I was wondering about the stage. I know there's gonna' be plenty room for movement, but what about set? Are you allowed to have a bit of a set up? I'm not thinking anything big, something that'll be easy to set up and rip down, and place other props for the skit behind during the performance. Since I've never been part of a masquerade before, I'm not sure.

Hikaru Tsuki
08-28-2003, 08:33 PM
The stage size really depends on the con. Consult the con staff and ask them. As for props, it really depends on how long it would take to set up. Usually, the person performing must go up, set up, perform, and clean up. In other words, if you have to do any taping of posters or actually setting something up, it probably won't work out. Just use props you can lay on the stage and pick up when you're done.

Beware_UY7
08-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks. I suppose I'll go ask the con coordinaters.

Hoshikuzu
09-04-2003, 07:17 PM
haha we used a "set" when my cosplay group did a "welcome to Lodoss Island" thing. Was a big cloth bush. Let me tell you, even though we won, the set was sooo not worth dragging around. There's nowhere to store them and barely enough time to set them up (most cons only allow a max of 2 mins total for your skit). If you can get by without a set Id suggest you try that. Ten to one the audience will be able to get the idea without a set. But if you must bring one make sure it folds up and has support so it will stand. PCP pipe covered with sheets or cloth work well for walls.

* haha cosplay nut thats a theater major wooo!*

betani
09-30-2003, 04:24 PM
we had a "set" and lots of props when we did ours. they were going to allow us a minimal amount of set up time, but we didn't need it since we had worked that into our skit (ie, walk on stage with it). the hardest part was clean up, but fortunately a giant box was one of our props. we assigned that one and some of the larger ones to people and the rest of us just dragged things off with us or chucked things into the box as it went by. so in short sets can work and can really add to a skit as long as you have it planned well. organize as if they give you no set up/clean up time and then if they do it'll be a pleasent surprise.