PDA

View Full Version : best approach on dying hair gray

mgsOHYEAH
01-16-2010, 01:09 PM
What is the best approach on dying my hair a light gray for Acen? I considered dying it as opposed to spraying it cause i hear spraying it becomes flakey and may run through out the day. And now I am hesitant to dye it cause I have brown hair which would require me to bleach it.

So what are my options aside this? Is there a temporary dye I can use that would not become messy?

Kitsoru
01-16-2010, 01:23 PM
The answer, as with most questions like this? Just get a wig.

Can you give a character reference?

mgsOHYEAH
01-16-2010, 01:25 PM
well the character I am doing has long hair and I have the perfect hair, so I want to take advantage of that

Kitsoru
01-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Can you please link a picture and give a name/series? I really can't tell unless I see.

Generally, though, you can't achieve a haircolor lighter than your own without a wig- especially white/gray/silver colors. Unless, of course, you'd like to ruin your perfect hair forever.

mgsOHYEAH
01-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I am doing Liquid Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid 4, you have probably seen my other posts on this site regarding it

here is a pic of what I am aiming for

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4042/f00570984a50b883849db.jpg

as you can see his hair is long and appears slicked back and I dont think a wig would look good because of this, that and because i have long hair too, brown.

Kelley
01-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Buy a wig. If you have long hair, you're going to RUIN it with the bleaching and dying required to make it really grey instead of grey-green or yellowy.

Also, if you have no experience dying, you should NOT do this yourself as you will likely damage your hair even more.

Kazephyr
01-17-2010, 05:41 AM
I... have achieved a silver/grey color in my hair. It took years of learning about the vast world of hair, and a lot of money. Also, it half-killed my /blonde/ hair to get the color out so I can't imagine what it might do to darker hair colors. :x Even with professionals doing half the work, there's a lot of damage. Even now, it's hard to get a "true" silver/grey without blue or green undertones... Trust me, save yourself a lot of misery and get a wig. And you heard VERY right; do NOT use spray-dyes. ^^;;

As for the style... slicked back in wigs is hard, but not impossible. :) If you're not confident in your wig skills, you can always hire a commissioner. ^^

Koumori
01-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Please don't do this. You will ruin your nice hair, it will take forever to grow out, and you'll look much older- not just when you do your cosplay but for however many months or years it takes your hair to grow out again. Naturally gray hair isn't really gray; it's white, and *looks* gray because it's mixed in with colored strands as well. This isn't a job you can do at home, and it isn't worth it. Please, please get a wig.

PhDPepper
01-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Properly dying your hair grey will probably cost more then a wig. Likely will need to condition your hair for 2 weeks to prep it to bleach it to a nasty orange due to red pigments leaving the hair slower then the browns, then conditioning your hair for a 2week, then bleaching again to a pale blond, then conditioning your hair for another 2week, then using purple toner to get rid of the blond... then conditioning for another 2 weeks.

Keratin is naturally a pale yellow shade, while theirs red and brown pigments in the hair that give it the color, or technically absorb colors. So you have to remove the pigments which will leave your hair really thin and ready to break, and then counter color the yellow keratin with a purple toner that will absorb yellow before it hits the keratin while not overdueing it or you'll have purple hair.

Removing pigments is usually done by making the hair scale open using a strong base, and breaking the sulfur bonds holding the pigments. In this case, bleach. Red pigments are larger so don't leave as easily, which is why your hair will be a nasty orange for a while. Conditioner actually recloses the scales in your hair. Its why shampoo and conditioner work. Shampoo scales it open so particles are loosened out, then the conditioner closes the scales back up. Normally you do this in 2 steps for dark hair or your hair gets too fried.

Takes around 2 months, your roots will show around 1 inch, and your hairs going to be extremely thin so will easily break.

not to mention its expensive as all hell. Its probably cheaper and less work to buy a wig and lace front it. Or to just commission a wig.

mgsOHYEAH
01-17-2010, 08:49 PM
im gonna test out the cheap temporary dyes and see if those work with my brown hair and see if they will last without getting too flakey or run on me

Chergnomebyl
01-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Cheap dyes won't work on your hair if it's brown. Even using temp dye will damage your hair still. I would also go the wig way. IF! You decide to dye your hair to that platinum blond then you will definitely fry it and damage. You can go the professional way. Oh and if you mean spray on dye...that's just going to make your hair look awful and stiff andddddddd flaky.

Kelley
01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Dye can only add colour - you're wasting your money buying anything to try to temporarily dye it.

You can go from blonde to brown or black in temporary dye, but you CANNOT GO LIGHTER.

Noose
01-18-2010, 04:17 AM
If I may, I would suggest Manic Panic hair dye. They have a wide array of colours, at least half of which I use on a week to week basis.
http://www.manicpanic.com/classic%20cream%20formula.html

You'd first use one of their bleach kits... or a few, if you have a lot of hair. That gets your hair to a pale blonde. From there, you could use the Raven colour, which is black. it fades to a peppery grey within a few washes. It fades reeeeeeally fast.

Now, this will last months. Or a year. This bleach and dye is strong. My hair, right now, is half yellow, and has been since Christmas eve. Highlighter yellow. This bleach will not fade. This is permanent.

As for getting a silver grey, well, good luck. They have a pure white and a pure black. Mixing them... I would not suggest. To be perfectly honest, a wig would likely suit your lifestyle better. Dyed hair looks like crap once it's grown out, and to get rid of it would require a re-bleaching or a buzz-cut.

mgsOHYEAH
01-18-2010, 05:10 AM
what are your guys take on White Out bleach?

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Accessories/Cosmetics/HairDye/raw-white-out-bleach-kit-276028.jsp

i guess i am going for a white more than a gray which changes a lot of options, as for frying my hair, i have a friend who bleaches and dyes his hair all the time and knows what theyre doing.

Is this my best bet for hair coloring?

Kelley
01-18-2010, 05:14 AM
I'm sorry, but no matter what bleaching agent, you're going to completely ruin your hair.

Even if they know what they're doing, you can't avoid it. Your long hair is especially fragile and even if you don't notice it - it's still going to look like crap.

But, hey, if you want to fuck up and destroy your hair, go for it - it won't be me that has to cut my hair off or look like crap for years.

thefemalenoob
01-18-2010, 06:01 AM
well i would just go with the spray on stuff buddy. Im pretty good with hair coloring myself, i have been dyeing my hair bright and funny colors sense 4th grade. I have alot of experience with bleach and believe me it pretty scary stuff, i always take a week or two of just crazy over loading my hair with really NICE conditioner...but you have long hair so the risk of frying your hair is much greater then then me or your friend. The spray on stuff doesn't always look that bad (if you know how to put it in right) besides its not good to dye your hair just for a cosplay, once that con is over your stuck with gray unless you want to just put brown or something over the dye job you and your hair worked so hard on. I put some spray in on a friend with long hair and just brushed through it as i sprayed this takes a long long time but it comes out looking pretty good for just crappy spray in from the Halloween store,.