PDA

View Full Version : Building a Satellite?

cobaph
01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I'd like to do a Himiko (Persona 4) cosplay, and I'm prepared for most of the costume.

My biggest problem is that I have no idea how to make the satellite face, especially since props are completely new to me.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/megamitensei/images/d/d5/P4-Himiko.jpg

I'm not quite sure where I can start on this at all. I would need something lightweight preferably to reduce strain on my neck. And even after constructing it, making it a wearable item is a challenge. Are there any ideas to start and complete such a project?

han-Vu
01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Looks like a big safety risk though

cobaph
01-21-2010, 02:48 AM
Hmm, so would it be a bad idea to keep pursuing it then? =__=

I've only seen this cosplay done once, so I just assumed it was ok.

nyokun
01-21-2010, 05:23 AM
You would need a handler for it, for sure, because you'd have no visibility at all.

rubyredrose
01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I would say you would have to a) have a competent handler at all times, wearing the headpiece or not, just for the full face mask you'd be wearing. Then, b) you'd want to probably wear it for a masquerade only, because walking around in something that's as long as you are tall...and attached to your head... is just asking for neck injuries.

That said, it's probably doable with the proper careful balancing, but...I dunno, I'm inclined to think it's not safe to have at a con at all, even with it being not really attached to your head just because it's nothing but a giant spike in two directions. I don't see any con security letting you wear it.

...maybe it you're doing it for a closed photoshoot only?

cobaph
01-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Hmm, that's a good point, the spike thing. Vision won't be too much of a problem for me, as I'm always going to be with someone at all times to help, and I'd like to remove it for unnecessary times.

Originally, it was going to be photoshoot only, but I started thinking of integrating it more into open grounds.

I'm fine with making some practical modifications, such as length. Most likely, the back spike won't even be longer than 18 inches, since turn my head would've been like swinging a lance around, blindly.

I was also thinking of making the mask actually angle up, so that it goes on my forehead instead of my actual face, making it stand at a constant angle if I'm looking straight, but I haven't thought too far into this idea yet.

Would the satellite still be okay if the glaring danger of an enormous back and front spike was removed, or at least dramatically reduced?

nyokun
01-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Given it's shape, you might also want to make sure that it's within prop limitations at the con you're going to. It might be considered weaponry. :P

cobaph
01-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Good idea. I just went over to check their weapons policy, and it should be in the clear of qualifying as weaponry since it passes the prohibited items descriptions! Hooray!