PDA

View Full Version : ~Harle Chrono Cross Help~

Raizki
01-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I know it's probably frowned upon to post here for the first time, but I've been a member for a decently long time, and I do lurk a lot.

http://www.hobbyfan.com/albums/album77/harle.jpg

Here is the best reference I could find of the character I wish to cosplay.

What I have planned out so far:

Get sheer cloth for the gypsy pants and a set of white leggings to go with it.

I have more of it planned out but here's where it branches out:

What cloth should I use? Should I use a stretchy cloth (like for leotards) for the body suit or use vinyl, or something else entirely? In the picture of the figurine, the cloth looks pleathery but in the actual opening it has no texture and could be portrayed as either. I've also seen cosplays that use non shiny material. That cloth would also be the same cloth I use for everything else.

I'm thinking about shaping the cape with wire. Is there anything I should do so that the wire isn't visible? Or will that matter depending on the material I use? Or how about other methods on shaping the cape? I was also planning on making it a turtle neck cape so the look between this and the hat is seamless.

How should I go about the body piece? *most important*

My plan for the hat is to get a red ski cap and use that for the base, so it fits on my head, and just shape around it with wire. I want it to zip up in the back so it looks like it fits, and doesn't have fabric flopping down. Or should I not do the ski cap and use something else?

For the shoes I want to use boot covers over flats that have been shaped with wire to give them the elf like look.

If there's anything I missed feel free to point it out, and any help would be appreciated.

-Originally posted in the wrong section but it may not have been posted so this is a repost. /fail-

Hime no Toki
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I think the best choice for the main part of her outfit would be stretch vinyl - 2-way or 4-way should be fine. As an alternate choice, metallic spandex or a wet-look spandex would suffice, both are a bit easier to sew but can be a bit slippery to pin. You wouldn't want to use pleather for a bodysuit, since it stretches but not nearly enough for what you would need.

I would recommend looking into Kwik Sew patterns for the main bodysuit, you should be able to find something. It will probably need some modifications, but nothing major.

As for shaping, I am not sure if wire is the way to go. This costume has been on my to-do list for a while, and I've gone over a few methods in my head but the best thing to do is experiment. It might work better to sandwich a stiffer material in between the fabric to get it lay a certain way for the 'wings' cape portion (interfacing is not going to work, obviously, but they do have material that I can't quite remember the name of that is in the same section that might work out). You'd probably then want to top-stitch it flat down so it enforces the seams.

I think the hat portion would need to be stuffed, as it's pretty thick looking and if you just use wire it's going to look very weak.

Also, I'm pretty sure they make elf shoes and you would only need to then make a boot cover to cover it out of the same stretch fabric you are using for the costume. :D

Raizki
01-26-2010, 02:12 PM
@ Hime No Toki-

I couldn't help but notice you were going to Megacon. That's the con I'll wear this cosplay to assuming I finish it. At any rate thanks for the help, I highly appreciate it.

Hime no Toki
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Awesome, good luck! I can't wait to see it! :)