PDA

View Full Version : Darksiders War Cosplay

phoenixn7g
01-31-2010, 04:37 PM
I have scoured the internet and cannot find anywhere to buy the sword war uses ( Chaos Eater). I know there were 70 replicas made, and I feel they are disproportionate in size.
I have enough reference photos to contruct the sword. I was thinking wonderflex possibly, but most likely acrylite or paper mache covered in wonderflex. I was even considering foam is there was a way I could solidify it so that it wouldn't break easily.
I intend on aking the Chaos Eater as big as possibly, and maybe even interlocking so it travels easier.
I have no clue about the armour yet. I was thinking metal but it would be wayy too heavy. I was considering the paper mache wonderflex idea again, but some of the shapes are extremely complex and I would need assistance.
We wouldnt be doing the wings due to obvious almost impossibility... maybe later on with a smoke maker and lasers.... sounds too complicated right now.
Any suggestions from anyone?

phoenixn7g
02-01-2010, 12:50 PM
We started by using The Cosplay Size Calculator to get most of our measurements.
I have decided to use insulation foam board to make the weapon as well as a wooden dowel, some raw leather, a wooden ring, some adhesive for the insulation foam, a dremel and some special foam paint. I will post a tutorial on how to make the weapon but I will be unable to post tutorials of the rest. At the end if this gets finished you will be able to PM me for pictures as I do not want china sellers stealing my photos.

Ghai
02-02-2010, 05:11 AM
Awesome, I wanted to do this, but the next con is two weeks away and this is a lot of work. I am planning to do this and get three friends to do the other three horsemen for AMA, so your sword tut will help.

Also, anyone have any fullbody [pictures of Fury?

phoenixn7g
02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Fury... Im assuming you are talking about another horseman? Hmmmm...

Here is a picture of all of them:
http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/2100000/The-Four-Horsemen-darksiders-2168614-1024-1428.jpg

Fury is more of a feminine character, which I understand, as they probably went by the quote " Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

But here is the concept art from Darksiders for Fury... Enjoy!
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/fury-darksiders-artwork-character.jpg

So there you go! Btw I so want pictures when you guys cosplay as the horseman... :)

Frank Thing
02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Awesome Idea !

phoenixn7g
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks Frank!

Here is the link to the Cosplay Sizing Calculator I used:
http://www.drakkashi.com/en/download.html

I googled the statue that was made of War. I calculated my boyfriend's height with War's height.
We figured for him, the sword needs to be almost 6' high. The statue doesn't make War's sword look as big as it should, as in the video game, but that's okay.

I intend on buying the materials within the next few weeks.

Materials:
-Caulking Gun
-Xacto Knives- If you do not want to use Xacto knives, you can use very hot copper wire to cut the foam

Foam Insulation (( Local Hardware Store))- 2*8 ft piece for $20 (( Double piece))
Just in case, we are buying an extra piece a 2*8 and it is $14

PL 300 for adhesive *2- They are $5/ bottle

Spray Primer specifically for Foam- $13/can. Purchased at Games Workshop

As for actual paint for the metal look of War's sword, we are unsure what we are going to use yet. So far the suggestions are acrylic paint or any non oil based paint possibly.

phoenixn7g
02-06-2010, 01:15 AM
I am going out to buy materials in the next few days ^.^
I am opting out of buying the primer as of yet because I still need to well cut out the sword etc. I am planning on using a dremel for the faces in the sword, still undecided if I will do the faces on both sides of the sword... >.<
Anyone know of a way to harden pink isulation foam without melting it? I was going to use the cheesecloth method but the faces need to be fully seeable etc. I was thinking resin... any ideas?

phoenixn7g
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
GHAI, pm me. I just got a concept art book from Gamestop of a full body picture of fury front and back.

I started on the Chaoseater this morning.
Bought the foam, some protection ( mask) I wear glasses so I didn't grab glasses.
I also bought some PL 300. A friend brought over the spray primer. It still eats through the foam a very minimal amount, but I will be using it overtop of my sealant anyways so It doesnt matter what type of paint I use.

I started by mapping out all my lengths, widths etc etc. I bought the 2*8 of foam.
I started by cutting off a chunk at the end I won't need. My sword is going to be almost 6' tall with handle.
I marked out where the sword "pops" out on the side and left room for error.
LEAVE ROOM FOR ERROR
We used a table saw and screwed up. Luckily I had left lots of room for accidents... so its fine.
We are planning on using a dremel for the faces tomorrow. I have yet to map up the faces and the actual blade. Then I will use the dremel to cut the chunks out and carve the faces. I bought the cheesecloth anyways and will try and use it but probably will not glue it until im positive. Pictures to come!

Ghai
02-07-2010, 11:58 PM
If I can get the thing rolling, there will be many. However making sure we know who's going to be who, and who'll comit is another thing. I'm liking how you're donig Chaoseater though.

phoenixn7g
02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks Ghai ^.^

Tehj
02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I am actually gluing up the planks of wood i got yesterday for this sword. I'm going with two 5 foot slabs of poplar for the blade and a 1'4" Aluminum Rod for the handle. For the interior im going to carve the faces out of the face of the wood with some wood carving tools and a truck load of sandpaper.

As for the armor im going with a mix of EVA foam / Wonderflex / styrene with a pair of football shoulder pads for the upperbody frame (as i don't think any human alive aside from mariusz pudzianowski has the shoulders to pull off war =P )

phoenixn7g
02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Lol. I would do it out of wood but our con just told us no wood props whatsoever. You are brave lol, I am only looking for a light weapon

Tehj
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Haha not so much brave as thats just the medium i have the most exp working with =P Btw we should def compair notes once we both get to the armor section of the costume as atm i have an idea of what im going to be doing but not 100% and am always open to input from others =D are you going to be making his large gauntlet articulated at all?

phoenixn7g
02-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I was going to try and make the gauntlet articulated but I am unsure if I can make it at all. Our home con just banned all weapons and I am waiting to hear back if they are going to ban the big gauntlet as well. I decided to try and finish the sword first and then I will go onto the armour.

oOMEDICOo
03-17-2010, 09:00 AM
im cosplaying DEATH this year, its going to be so friken awesome but a lil challenge to make. but unlike ther rest of the riders. death has lack of Armour. just hakama, wit 2 pieces of Armour on the legs.....and a friken huge scythe....sigh this will take a while

phoenixn7g
03-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Tehj, I can no longer make the gauntlet articulated. I am intending on trying both insulation foam and upholstry foam, Im thinking the upholstry in the end just so that it's con safe and friendly. I will cover it in plasti dip spray and then try and paint it the colors it needs to be. If that doesnt work.... I have no clue what would work.
I will post progress photos in the next few days if I can.

phoenixn7g
03-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I dont have photos but I started working on it again. I used the dremel to carve out part of the inner sword ( where all the faces are) and put some modelling clay into it. I will make the faces out of modelling clay. I hope mod podge doesnt eat foam

Duffman0615
03-24-2010, 01:57 AM
i for one cant wait to see how its coming along! ^.^ I've been really interested in making this for next years con here in my town. =D

Ghai
04-11-2010, 10:49 AM
AHAH!!!

My girlfriend came up with an idea for the big hand. HULK HANDS!!! It'd be simple, and with some moddifying it'd be able to resemble it and be comfortable.

oteebzo
07-23-2010, 10:52 PM
So any pix or luck with this prodject?

1magus
08-06-2010, 01:31 AM
A perfect costume from this game would be ridiculous and sweaty lol.

Davence
09-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I am actually building a War costume for the Ny comic con con this yr, If anyone here is interested to see i have a link you can check out to see my progress thus far on this epic suit.

http://community.darksiders.com/forums/topic/4269

Davence
09-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I have been building my Chaoseater out of eps foam entirely with a pvp pipe for the hilt and a few smaller pieces for added stability between the joints, Here is a pic of me wearing both of them, before i do the final seal using smooth cast 321, then off to the light sanding/ painting process.

Here is a pic of both my sword and gauntlet:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee154/davence/100_9232.jpg

P.S. i am also making my sword fog just like it does in the game. If you guys want to see more of my daily process of this costume, go to this link:

http://community.darksiders.com/forums/topic/4269

I have also made my gauntlet articulated as well (that was def a good test of Patience lol) and it lights up too!

chuy124
09-11-2012, 12:43 AM
AHAH!!!

My girlfriend came up with an idea for the big hand. HULK HANDS!!! It'd be simple, and with some moddifying it'd be able to resemble it and be comfortable.

Did you ever finish your War Build?

Ghai
09-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Currently trying to get my friend back into the idea since he'd probably die happy if he got to cosplay War. All the while thinking I may have to speed up my weight loss so I can go with him as Death.