PDA

View Full Version : Working with Silicone

-FishyBob-
02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Okay, Kiotoko-solo and I are wanting to cosplay Draenei from World of Warcraft. We began to think on creative ways to make the tail so that it would bounce naturally, and I thought of silicone. So we went to Lowe's, bought a small tube, and made a mini mold out of sculpey to test it. We did this yesterday, and just now I cut open the tip to find the silicone still mushy and not fitting the mold.

So, any advice or tips on how to work with the material would be greatly appreciated!

Loess
02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Silicone caulking needs water to cure. When you use it normally, it absorbs the water from the air. Since you're putting it in a mold, you have to add the water yourself.

Get a plastic tub, and some dishsoap and you should be able to make the caulk work for you.

1) Fill the tub with warm, soapy water. (the temp isn't terribly important, but warm water is nicer to put your hands in.
2) Open up the tube of silicone caulk, and shoot a bunch of it into the water.
3) Reach in and knead it together. Yes, really. The soap will keep it from sticking to your hands.
4) Press the kneaded ball into your mold like you would with clay. The soap should keep it from sticking to the mold.

I haven't had a chance to try this myself, I read about it on the RPF in a thread about cheap alternative mold making materials. Luckily, silicone caulk is cheap, and you should be able to experiment a bit without it costing much.

Shaylyn
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Wow, thanks for the tips. I had no plans to try to work with silicone but after reading that I'm going to give it a try :)

And Fishy, that is a great idea for a Draenei tail! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Faded_Illusions
02-04-2010, 07:01 AM
lol, I actually made a tutorial video about silicone casting and put it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Pv_O9nYvo