PDA

View Full Version : Evangelion!!! ^_^

Shinji_Ikari
10-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Well i was just wondering if any of you people think that Neon Genesis Evangelion Is the best anime Series of all time?and if its is what is?

Cait
10-10-2002, 08:29 PM
I'd have to say its way up there. The thing has layers. I mean when I was watching Death and Rebirth and one of our party noticed something strange and we slowed down the scene with Asuka at the end only to discover phrases scrawled in German inserted into the frames of her face... let's just say it was icing on the best cake of the millenium. I'm not positive on anime, but Eva's definatly better than 99% of the science fiction shows or movies in America.

DJ(SiC)ness
10-10-2002, 09:46 PM
no i whould say the best is hamtaro, yeah i may seem like a "X" poster boy, but ya gotta love the Ham HamS!!!!

omg what has become of me...

Mei Lan Chang
10-10-2002, 09:47 PM
Cosplaying for Eva is fun, but my opinion of it was definatly lowered as the plot became more and more annoyingly loose and eratic. The good was great and the bad was....really bad.

Sakura
10-10-2002, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure on the best ever since I'm a CLAMP fangirl at heart... but Evangelion is definately up there with the best of 'em ^^

Cait
10-10-2002, 09:57 PM
CLAMP!!?!? *sweatdrops*

SleepingKirby
10-10-2002, 10:24 PM
I would have to say Eva was probably one of my favorites (I'm one of the few that liked the ending, at least for the series anyways.) But I have to say that FLCL blew NGE out of the water. Ride on Shooting Star!!!

Keurblitz
10-10-2002, 11:31 PM
I'd just finished the whole eva series, and yes the movies too!!! OMG, IT's SO GOOD!! MUST BUY EVA FIGURES!!!

Jibrille
10-11-2002, 12:11 AM
eva is definitly one of my favorites. such character variety, great music, good twists, whole bunch of mini plots that colide at the end.
and the options of two endings to give people more to argue and debate about.
good animation, kickass premise.
just all around interesting and good stuff.

i like CLAMP a lot too. nicer art anyway.
but eva has the better storyline. well, from what clamp i've seen so far. but i like profound and mindraping animes.

eh, i like many things.

Spaztik
10-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Eva is definitely my favorite. This thinks got depth thats not found in many Animes and ANY American TV shows. Im probly one of the few that actually thought that the ending was good, and i saw the correlation between the movies and the series ending. (in Shinjis head vs. external) (just cuz they're clapping doesnt mean that they're actually there) plus the fight scenes are awesome. The only part i didnt like was the scene with Kaji and Misato ::ahem:: near the end. (WWWWHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY) i hated that man. pansy. ::snarl:: ...he was hot tho ::sweat drop:: (ARGH) anyway, that was my little rant for today.

Karasu
10-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Evangelion is definately one of favorite because of the layers (as Cait said), but also because it deals with human struggle. Eva is based on a situation that a group of people have to deal with, which in turn makes the layers that many people see. I love to sit there and pick the layers apart and drill into the characters minds. :D I'm just weird like that!

plastiknife
10-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Evangelion was very good, as we all agree on. I tend to love Escaflowne as well too (i think it's the sappy ending that gets me)

Lain is also a very ..layered piece. Well depending on who you talk to. It can be sort of confusing and slow, but overall a great show compared to what we have over here...

Shinji_Ikari
10-12-2002, 08:51 PM
well i see that alot of you like eva....but what did you think of End of Evangelion...i thought its the best out of them all?did you like it or not?

Space Invader
10-12-2002, 09:59 PM
I have to say, EVA is definately very... intersting. *cough* It gets pretty confusing at pints, IMO, but I'm not really into animes and such that have to make me really think hard about something. The characters are awesome though, I love Kaoru. I'm cosplaying him in his plugsuit for A-Kon, BTW :).

OneWinged09
10-13-2002, 12:28 AM
I thought it was alright.... I think it's alittle overated by all the fan hype though. In my opinion it didn't have much more story than Shinji Ikari's whining. The thing that boosted it for me was the last movie.... I think it was .... Death? I thought that was extremally well done and used alot of the series' events, but in my opinion if u just see the series itself without the movie then it falls extremelly short of normal expectations. As for aspects of the human situations...... it did in some aspects like all that Ritsuko, Misato, Toji, and the other small command parts, like Maya, did. But Shinji's situation...... I don't know bout u, but I'd hop in the EVA without whinning and blast the angels back to heaven or hell to save the lives of peopl, it's like big deal, ya hate your dad, grow some balls and fight for people rather than your little self.

OneWinged09
10-13-2002, 12:43 AM
oh hell, my ass is grass for this one. *takes off running*

ReiChan
10-13-2002, 12:57 AM
Yargh, yeah it was good, but I'm SO incredibly sick of hearing about it. Waaaaay too much hype. It rates a viewing, and probably some deep thought afterward, but it's not the end-all of anime. There's a point at which it's okay to move beyond it. Not that it's a bad thing if it's someone's all-time favorite. I dunno, I'm just ranting in general.

In my opinion, Cowboy Bebop is the best anime ever, but that's just me.

*scuttles away before someone beats the crap out of her for her blasphemy*

Shinji_Ikari
10-13-2002, 08:40 AM
well alot of you sure as hell like Evangelion.My next question is if they brought Evangelion to america an hacked it to hell for it to be "suitable" for televison would you still like it?would you still watch it?

Keurblitz
10-13-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Shinji_Ikari
well alot of you sure as hell like Evangelion.My next question is if they brought Evangelion to america an hacked it to hell for it to be "suitable" for televison would you still like it?would you still watch it?

Eh... Hell no... Every little bit of detail is important to me in Eva, if they hacked it away, *gasp* I will say no more. I won't watch it... ack, the american dubbed eva episodes are... eh.. THEY SOUND LIKE CHIPMUNKS!!!

Cait
10-13-2002, 03:38 PM
Well, the dub is half of what I like about it. I love the English voice cast.. I find them to be more expressive than the Japanese.

Shinji_Ikari
10-13-2002, 06:31 PM
i agree totally.....the dubbed some what wrecked the show....but i still like it...asukas voice annoys me especially.

plastiknife
10-13-2002, 07:51 PM
Oh man, I totally forgot about Cowboy Bebop.. Now there's a series for ya. (thanks Reichan) :)

If they put Evangelion on UPN or whatever station decides to play it, I bet the one thing that would piss me off would be that they would use the voice actor that plays Ash on pokemon, to do the voice over for shinji. and it would just go down from there... eek.

Galaxia
10-14-2002, 08:13 PM
I'm only up to episode 20 in Eva - I like it so far. Man, that stuff is DEEP! :eek: :omfg:

Cait
10-14-2002, 09:31 PM
If they put Evangelion on UPN or whatever station decides to play it, I bet the one thing that would piss me off would be that they would use the voice actor that plays Ash on pokemon, to do the voice over for shinji. and it would just go down from there... eek.

What? Why would they re-dub it? Spike is an amazing actor and the life he brings to Shinji in the English dub dazzles me! I'd think that if something like UPN got a hold of it and aired it in prime time they'd make sure to market the novelty of a serious and mature animated series. The worst that would happen then would be bit of editing of nudity. But, the series is too touchy for most mainstream networks. Think about it! It deals with religious lore for goodness sake!

asukas voice annoys me especially.

...which is why I like it! Asuka is annoying. The voice is perfect!!!! Plus Tiffany Grant is a cool person.

|| Deaf Baka ||
10-16-2002, 04:00 PM
Yes, Neon Genesis Evangelion is a great series. My only complaint is that the beginning is sorta slow. It wasn't slow when I first saw it, but the 2nd time around, I thought it was damn boring and slow..... but I urged myself to move on and damn, it still hasn't lost its amazing touch. It just gets better and better.

End of Evangelion....... wow....... that was just...... wow.... That is probably one of the most thought-provoking movies ever made. With Ghost in the Shell below EoE. EoE is a great movie, a masterpiece.

Shima-Mizu
10-17-2002, 09:35 PM
You HAVE to watch End of Evangelion (having some background on the show prior might be useful though, but isn't 100% neccesary). I first saw it about 2 years ago or so...maybe a little longer ago....and I have to say it is the most f'd up confusing, mind churning thing I have EVER seen, and that's not just anime, that's in any film / series. Nothing has gotten me so deeply lost in thought as that has...I truly belief the End of Evangelion alone to be the best piece of anime ever created... When you're able to watch something over and over and over again and still not grasp the exact purpose of everything you just saw, there's something special there. Animerica recently (a couple months ago) had some reviewers write about it, and again, none could come to any conclusive decisions. It's just that deep and that bizarre all at once. It's amazing. And it's finally available in the US! I saw it in the store today ^_^.

tydawgsd
10-21-2002, 02:16 AM
I liked it, it made you think. I think there are better animes out there, but I haven't found one as deep as Eva yet. I am one of the few who actually enjoyed the TV ending. In my opinion it was the perfect ending for the series because I saw the series as more of a people realizing who they are thing rather than an action thing.

MitochondriaEve
11-13-2002, 07:55 AM
I love it, but I don't think it is the best... I think.. I dunno what's the best... :thumbsup:

Recca-kun
11-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Shinji_Ikari

Did you buy the first DVD when it came out? ;) That made me so mad - superimposing English and taking out full scenes... I was showing it to my roommates at the time and I had to stop after episode 2 because half of ep 3 wasn't there. :mad:

If they made it non-controversial and suitable for kids would they be able to show anything? Maybe they could show a shot or two of Pen-Pen but that's genetic engineering so someone might get offended. ;)

And yes Eva is probably still my favorite anime, although I like the Flame of Recca manga better. Kaworu was my original nick and cosplay. ;)

psythe
11-13-2002, 02:10 PM
Evangelion is defo top 10(maybe top 5) material but not my favorite. Always a special place for it though. Excellent series.

Koumori
11-13-2002, 02:17 PM
I don't care too much for Evangelion. It's fine, it's well put together, but I found the "deep thoughts" to be.. well, a little cheap and nothing I haven't been seeing in movies and novels for a long time. For me, it didn't hold up to a repeat viewing.

Galaxia
11-13-2002, 07:35 PM
I finally finished watching the series (even after my friend told me not to watch the last 2 TV episodes [which I am regretting].).

It's good....but it's not number 1 on my top 10 (or top 5) list.