PDA

View Full Version : New to Boston, need help from the locals!

Ali
08-31-2003, 02:44 PM
Hey. I just moved out here for school and I need some help getting my cosplay hobby going again so I'll be ready in time for Anime Boston.

First, I need a sewing machine. I want a cheap one, and I was hoping to find a Sears in which to purchase one. I haven't succeeded. As far as anyone I've talked to is concerned, there are no Sears stores in Boston or Cambridge.

Second, I need to find a sewing/fabric store. The only one I've found listed thus far is Sew Low on Cambridge St. I haven't been there yet, so I don't know what to expect.

To further complicate things, I have no car and need to find someplace within walking distance of the T. If you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

-Ali

Kurthy133
08-31-2003, 07:55 PM
hallo~~~
i'm from boston too! in fact, i go to massart! ^^ what school do you go to? places that i highly recommend for fabric are around chinatown - winmil fabic is my favorite since their fabric seems to be the cheapest and they have a good selection. there is a store next door as well that has more expensive chinese fabric. another store, winsor button, is by downtown crossing --- they have yarn, chain, ribbon and (you guessed it) buttons! ^______^

as far as a sewing machine --- maybe one of the fabric stores would have one --- but if not --- all i can think of is filenes in downtown crossing... hmm....

good luck! feel free to PM me at any time if you have any more questions! id be happy to help!

<3 Lisa

(ps - its cool to know cosplayers in the area!! ^^)

johnnyfoodmaste
08-31-2003, 09:11 PM
Chinatown is certainly your best bet. I know where a couple of fabric stores are...but I don't know how to tell you how to get there. I have to get working on my costume for Anime Boston soon.

Hmm...a sewing machine. There's the Cambridge Side galleria mall. You might be able to find something out there. It's RIGHT off the green line. What stop...I don't remember.

Oh yeah, welcome to Boston :) Well..I don't live in boston...but the Boston Area. As was said by Lisa, feel free to message me or something. Local cosplayers rule.

-Sean!

Ali
09-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Just returned from Sears! I have my brand new sewing machine, and I can't wait to get started on it... if I could only find some thread. I kind of forgot about that. (I also need boning)
Is there a Walmart in the Kenmore area or anywhere in Boston, or should I just try to find those fabric stores and see if they have the supplies I need?
Anyway, thanks for the help so far! I start classes at BU tomorrow, so hopefully I can get out this weekend to explore a little bit more.

-Ali

johnnyfoodmaste
09-02-2003, 11:15 AM
I would go right for the fabric stores. Walmart seems to be more of a suburban thing.

I start school tomorrow. Hooray.

Rukawa
09-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Just returned from Sears! I have my brand new sewing machine, and I can't wait to get started on it... if I could only find some thread. I kind of forgot about that. (I also need boning)
Is there a Walmart in the Kenmore area or anywhere in Boston, or should I just try to find those fabric stores and see if they have the supplies I need?
Anyway, thanks for the help so far! I start classes at BU tomorrow, so hopefully I can get out this weekend to explore a little bit more.

-Ali

The only walmart store thats even remotely close is like a nice 40 mins radius from Boston. Your going to BU? Wow thats really close to the school Kurthy and I goto (then again I don't goto MassArt hehe). ^_^
Your best bet is to find stuff in those fabric stores you need unless you can get a ride way out there. But yeah any questions or anything can just ask any of us here.

Wee another person in Boston ^^

Koumori
09-02-2003, 01:23 PM
I don't believe there are any Wal-Marts convenient to the T. There are some great remnant shops in Chinatown, though one of my favorites just closed, unfortunately. Still, Win-Mil Fabrics, right down the street from Downtown Crossing, is still going strong and a great source for remnants and advice.

Ali
09-02-2003, 03:31 PM
Would you suggest just wandering Chinatown looking for fabric stores? (and are they likely to carry other sewing supplies, like boning?)

I really wouldn't mind, actually. I love that part of town very much. (The Common, the movie theatre, the theatre district, etc.)

Okay then... I suppose I'll just be heading down there this weekend to search for thread and drool over fabric.

I'm hoping to meet some other crazy Otaku and possibly someone who doesn't look at me weird when I say 'cosplay' when I get in touch with BU's anime group. (Don't think that'll be until the 19th though... sigh.)

Okay... thanks for the help so far!

-Ali (still shaking head in utter disbelief at the lack of Walmart. Will miss the craft section, cheap sewing supplies, and discount fabric very much... or at least until I go home again.)

Rukawa
09-02-2003, 05:46 PM
There should be a bunch of cosplayers at BU from what I hear. Then again theres plenty of cosplayers around in the area.

Eilonnwy
09-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Heh...I hear there's an anime group in BU. ^_^

I'd also recommend going to the South Shore Plaza. I know there's a bus from the Ashmont T. Station (Which is right by where I live) That can take you there. South Shore Plaza has a Sears. It's in Braintree.

I actually was accepted to BU but decided to go to Umass cuz of $$. x_x But then I even ended up defering my enrollment to 2004 cuz of $$. Whee! I have a year of freedom!

Koumori
09-03-2003, 01:18 PM
To be honest, I get most of my fabric over the Net, and most of my notions at Jo-Ann's - but I have a car, which is pretty critical if you're going to try to navigate outside of the city proper much.

PatrickD
09-03-2003, 01:28 PM
To be honest, I get most of my fabric over the Net, and most of my notions at Jo-Ann's - but I have a car, which is pretty critical if you're going to try to navigate outside of the city proper much.

...or at least a friend with a car who would be willing to drive you around.

(I love to drive my new car.)

Ali
09-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Is there a JoAnn's in the Boston area? (wondering if maybe BU cosplayers will make trips there...) I love JoAnn's... it's the only sewing/crafts type store I can navigate properly.

Right... well if any of you cosplayers are willing to show me around sometime, let me know! I'd really like to get started on my next costume this weekend, but I don't even have pins to use for cutting out the fabric. (though I can probably go to CVS for that sort of thing...right?)

Okay... yes. Keep the information coming, I'll need it.

-Ali

PatrickD
09-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Is there a JoAnn's in the Boston area? (wondering if maybe BU cosplayers will make trips there...) I love JoAnn's... it's the only sewing/crafts type store I can navigate properly.

Considering that most JoAnn's in the area are arranged completely differently, I'm not sure how well that will hold true around here. :)

There are no JoAnn stores in Boston and none are T-accessable (as far as I know). The nearest is in West Roxbury. I've bought quite a bit there. Living in Newton, I've also shopped at the ones in Natick and Burlington. I've found Burlington to have the best selection, but I can occasionally find useful materials at the others.

I got the yellow flannel for my Renamon costume at the one in Natick. It was all they had and the best material I for the costume I could find at any of the stores...and I checked A LOT of them.

Find JoAnn stores near Boston (http://www.joann.com/store_locator/locator_main.jhtml)

Right... well if any of you cosplayers are willing to show me around sometime, let me know! I'd really like to get started on my next costume this weekend, but I don't even have pins to use for cutting out the fabric. (though I can probably go to CVS for that sort of thing...right?)

Okay... yes. Keep the information coming, I'll need it.

-Ali

Maybe us locals should organize a gathering so we can meet everyone from out of town and give you tips. Maybe all meet for dinner (out of costume) or something some night...

Koumori
09-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Do you have a yellow pages? Seriously - that will give you a line on where to find fabric stores. :)

Ali
09-03-2003, 07:12 PM
The only yellow pages I've been able to find was free in my dorm mailroom. The only fabric store listed was SewLow on Cambridge St. somewhere. I figure that may help me out with thread and stuff, if I can figure out exactly where 473 Cambridge street is.

Any sort of meeting would be awesome, if any of you are willing. For me, weekends or Friday nights work best.

Rukawa
09-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Maybe us locals should organize a gathering so we can meet everyone from out of town and give you tips. Maybe all meet for dinner (out of costume) or something some night...

Thats usually a good idea. Fun to get together.

Ali
09-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Just give me a time and place and I'll be there.

Ali
09-04-2003, 04:16 PM
On an unrelated note...

Is there NOWHERE to buy kettle corn in this city!?

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Well, if you feel like going for a drive. There is a really nice fabric store in Witmen, it's called Safflers. It's a very old store, I think my father told me it was there when he was a kid. (He's like 58, btw.) But, it has a nice range of hems, and fabrics.

...what is Kettle corn?
Oh! And seeing that you are in boston, you might want to check out Tokyo kid in Havard Square, at "The Garage."

Koumori
09-05-2003, 08:07 AM
Hmm. Kettle corn. I know I've seen it around but of course I can't think where.

I'm up for dinner/drinks/whatever. I'll bring my yellow pages. ;)

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-05-2003, 08:24 AM
..Do you eat corn at Kettle Corn? .....Or do you like...eat corn? x.x

Koumori
09-05-2003, 09:51 AM
..Do you eat corn at Kettle Corn? .....Or do you like...eat corn? x.x

Heh. It's a kind of sweet popcorn.

nocturnalkitten
09-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Mmmm...kettle corn. Isn't that what they have at King Richard's Faire? Always so cute see little kids walking around clutching onto a big 3 foot tall bag of popcorn. Which reminds me....anyone wanna go to the faire? It'd probably be fun to get a big group together. I don't have a costume, but I'd still love to make it once this year.

~T :dance:

Ali
09-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Well, since I honestly don't know anywhere to eat in Boston besides the Bennigan's in the theatre district and a burger place on Harvard square, I'll leave the choice up to you locals. (Though I do have a coupon for 15% off an entire purchase at Kayuga, a Japanese restaurant I've not yet visited.) (I have lots of coupons... they've been throwing them at me since I got here.)

nocturnalkitten
09-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Ooooo...Harvard Square. You should hit Blue Fin in Porter Square. The sushi is delicious there even though it's a tiny place. Plus they have the Japanese market and a bunch of other little restaurants. Last time I went I walked by this girl eating a GIANT bowl of ramen. I swear, the bowl was the size of a sink, but it looked hella yummy.

~T

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Oooh. I love King Richards Faire. I use to live in Carver, so I could get into the faire free on the very first opening day. Lol, one year I even worked there. Well.. I worked in the food court, I served sausage rolls, and Pizza. King Richards faire is a great place to walk around in Farie costumes.. . *Sigh*..
I wish I could go, but I can't because I'm in NYC now.
Dude, Nocturnalkitten, I'd love to go to the faire with you -...^_^ Can it wait until 2005, though?

.. I actually still have my License that has my carver adress on it..Heheh, I could probably get in for free still...Plus there are always my friends from Carver.

nocturnalkitten
09-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Hey VK...you are sooo on =^_^= I'll hold you to that one...hehehe...KRF 2004 or bust! As is, I feel like I have to drag some of my Boston friends to go 6_6 They just can't appreciate spending a day in the woods just goofing off and relaxing. Maybe I'll even have a costume by then. My problem is what does a Chinese girl with short hair wear to a ren faire? Traditional Chinese dress? Gypsy? I even thought about maybe a pirate...hehehe. Chowder bowls, baby tigers and axe throwing here I come..muwahahaha! Are you going to AB '04?

~T :jjacks:

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Heh. It can be a new type of convention...Er, without the anime. Heh, you can probably get away with being a Gypsy at KRF, I'm not to sure about a Traditional Chinese dress though.
x.x They have baby tigers there now? Jeez, it's been a while since I've gone..
Sadly, I will probably not be able to go to AB '04, because it interferes with my finals. I would love to go. We'll see. It depends if I can get all my work done.

nocturnalkitten
09-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Ack, I can dig 2005...hehehe. Yeah, they've had baby tigers the last 3 times I've gone...adorable ^.^ They play in a little fenced in area in the back of the faire. I missed going last year, but I hear it's changed a lot. New actors and booths. I do miss Bartlett the pickle guy though. For some reason the first time I went, hearing someone scream "Pickles!" at the top of his lungs made such an impression...hehehe. :dance:

~T

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-05-2003, 05:30 PM
..The pickle guy is gone?!!!!! Noooooooooo... x.x He was the best. I haven't been in I think at least 6 or 5 years... Man, I feel so old now.

Koumori
09-05-2003, 06:52 PM
I work near Porter Exchange. I don't do ren faires, but I think you can wear pretty much anything you damn well please. (If belly dancers are supposed to fit in, why not you?)

PatrickD
09-05-2003, 11:46 PM
I work near Porter Exchange. I don't do ren faires, but I think you can wear pretty much anything you damn well please. (If belly dancers are supposed to fit in, why not you?)

I'd imagine that a belly dancer would fit in better at King Richard's Faire than a Starfleet officer on an "away mission", a Digimon, or Sailor Moon.

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-06-2003, 08:48 AM

You don't do ren. faires? ...Have you ever been to King Richards Faire? I mean I know there is that Medevil Tavern in the boston area, but King Richards Faire is totally different.

..You don't see many belly dancers at King Richards faire...(Not everyone wants to show off their midsection...and you probably shouldn't there. There are a lot of drunk men. )

actually if ya'll go to carver in a group, you might want to concider doing a quick photoshoot. If you decide on this let me know, I can tell you some places to check out.

Koumori
09-06-2003, 10:11 AM
You don't do ren. faires? ...Have you ever been to King Richards Faire? I mean I know there is that Medevil Tavern in the boston area, but King Richards Faire is totally different.

No, and yes, in that order. And that's speaking as a costumer *and* a belly dancer. :)

Just ain't my cuppa.

nocturnalkitten
09-06-2003, 12:53 PM
I so need to hit the Sasuga Bookstore near Porter...need a copy of Tattoo Burst! ^_^ Mmm...now I'm itching to get some good gypsy costume ideas. Think I can get away with some sort of head wrap to hide the short hair? Go for that dark, exotic look...muwahahaha. I just want to avoid looking like the average wench ^.^

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-06-2003, 04:50 PM
I so need to hit the Sasuga Bookstore near Porter...need a copy of Tattoo Burst! ^_^ Mmm...now I'm itching to get some good gypsy costume ideas. Think I can get away with some sort of head wrap to hide the short hair? Go for that dark, exotic look...muwahahaha. I just want to avoid looking like the average wench ^.^

hmm.. Try watching Disney's hunchback of Notradame. I thought they did a good job with Esmeralda in that. I think if you get some coin hemming, and attach it to the bottom of a skirt, or perhaps a scarf it would be really cool for a Gypsy. Lol..I'd make a good Gypsy, so I've been told.

number18
09-07-2003, 08:52 AM
I think you should just go dressed as Caska, Nocturnal. :D =giggles all giddy for Berserk cosplay=

I REALLY want to go to the King Richard's Faire this year. The first two years I was up here I saw commercials for it but circumstances always prevented us (my boyfriend and I). Why no pickle guy, though? He sounds awesome. And I love pickles. ;-;

AHHHHH I LOVE FALL! Sorry, I just remember in Philly...there was the Fox Chase Farm apple picking day and just so many other fall events. And up here there's like...nothing that I know of. :/ Besides the Faire, I guess.

And yes, I would say Targets and JoAnns are definitely suburban things. They exist near me and I live about 40 minutes from Alewife Station. I didn't know there were good fabric stores in Chinatown. Figures cause I go there a lot when I go downtown. I'll have to check it out. =grumble= Wished I lived in the city...

If you guys have a meeting or something, that'd be cool. A Boston cosplayers fabric store tour or something. Heh. And then we could totally buy pocky and anime and go eat at a REAL JAPANESE RAMEN HOUSE after!@ OMG!!OMG!!!!!!11!!!!/1!?

(just kidding on that last sentence...I think I could hear miss Koumori's skin crawling)

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-07-2003, 10:12 AM
OMG! SERIOUSLY? WE HAVE TO GO EAT POCKY!! CAUSE LIKE EVERYONE WHO IS EVERYONE LOVES POCKY!!!111!!!!

Lol..sorry, I couldn't resist.

number18
09-07-2003, 10:32 AM
OMG! SERIOUSLY? WE HAVE TO GO EAT POCKY!! CAUSE LIKE EVERYONE WHO IS EVERYONE LOVES POCKY!!!111!!!!

Lol..sorry, I couldn't resist.

:bigtu: Comedy gold. I actually wouldn't mind hitting up Kotobukiya in Porter Square for some aporo candies and maaaybe a box or two of pocky. They didn't have men's last time I was there and that's really my fave...

Now I definitely want to do a Boston cosplay fabric store tour! <3

Ali
09-07-2003, 10:50 AM
I definitely need a tour... I'm thinking of heading out today to find that Sew Low place (which was actually about three or four blocks from where I bought my sewing machine... curse the benefit of hindsight!) so hopefully I can get started on a costume to keep myself from going mad and doing something crazy (like watching all of Bebop in a single 12 hour marathon with my roommate... oh well, she liked it, at least.)

Koumori
09-07-2003, 11:53 AM
(just kidding on that last sentence...I think I could hear miss Koumori's skin crawling)

*snicker* Yeah, I really need to get better about hiding all those giant red buttons...

number18
09-07-2003, 04:32 PM
*snicker* Yeah, I really need to get better about hiding all those giant red buttons...

=cackles while wiggling fingers in that typical "mad scientist/evil" way=

Should I start an NE_COSP thread about this? I'm unsure...
Oh yeah, Ali - there's an New England cosplay yahoo group. I think you just email NE_COSP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join and then you're on the email list.

nocturnalkitten
09-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Oooo....a tour (mmm, and snacks) sounds fun. I'd actually get to finally meet some of you guys...hehehe ^.^ Ok, here's a newbie question ^_^ Do any of you know of any good sewing classes around? I really need to learn how to sew and get some basics.

Yeah, there used to be a guy named Bartlett at the faire that pushed around a pickle cart screaming "Pickles!". You couldn't help but smile hearing him all the way from the other side of the faire grounds. Guess he just decided not to do faire anymore 6_6 I'd go with my bf, but he works there and then my Boston friends aren't really into faire. Leaves me trying to drag people to go every year...grrr. Hahaha...I would love to wear my Caska armour to faire if and when I can make the armour happen. <fantasizes about riding into the faire on horseback> Sweetness. :dance:

~T

Ali
09-07-2003, 07:02 PM
I went wandering around and found that Sew Low place (was unable to navigate through their stock of fabric, so I just bought pins, thread, and my own pin tomato) and it occured to me to ask:
Is crafting stuff just a suburban thing? In my hometown, you couldn't go two mini-malls without running into a crafting store (we have entire stores devoted to STAMPS, mind you... STAMPS) and here I am, unable to find boning, zippers, or patterns in Boston. Honestly.

number18
09-07-2003, 09:21 PM
I went wandering around and found that Sew Low place (was unable to navigate through their stock of fabric, so I just bought pins, thread, and my own pin tomato) and it occured to me to ask:
Is crafting stuff just a suburban thing? In my hometown, you couldn't go two mini-malls without running into a crafting store (we have entire stores devoted to STAMPS, mind you... STAMPS) and here I am, unable to find boning, zippers, or patterns in Boston. Honestly.

I dunno. I don't really wanna say yes cause my mom lives in Philly and she does scrapbooking. But yeah, there's a scrapbooking store in Nashua, NH, which is a big shopping, tax-free area about 15 minutes from me in MA...and like..it's pretty damn big and devoted entirely to scrapbooking. It sounds kinda weird that you can't find boning or anything. Do the fabric stores just have bolts of fabric and that's about it? Maybe you're just....missing it all??

Ali
09-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Well, I did have a hard time navigating Sew Low, but I think I saw most of what they had to offer (bolts of fabric piled against the walls, on top of tables, and on shelves). The worst part: For a discount fabric store, the prices weren't that great.

What I'd really appreciate now is someone to direct me to a place to find notions. Sew Low was the one fabric store listed in my phone book, and I didn't have a whole lot of luck.

Anyone still interested in a Boston cosplayer dinner to help out the new kid?

Kurthy133
09-08-2003, 12:53 AM
i really think that we should plan this meetup - nothing fancy - and not too many people - but tour/tips and then dinner! maybe porter for food? or sushi? ^^

it sounds like fun! <3

(Ali - btw - maybe you will consider joining the boston cosplay group at www.meetup.com? - we have been desperate for new people! ^^)

number18
09-08-2003, 08:27 AM
i really think that we should plan this meetup - nothing fancy - and not too many people - but tour/tips and then dinner! maybe porter for food? or sushi?

I wanna say no to sushi cause it'll probably be fairly expensive. Plus if we're going to be near/in/around Chinatown questing for fabric stores, it seems like it'd make more sense to eat there (or end the fabric tour there for eating) since you can find cheap, GOOD eats. I think nearly everyone likes Chinese...but does everyone like sushi? And I know that I never really have that much money to spend, and I'm not even in college...so I'd rather get a whole meal for about 5 bucks instead of a single roll of sushi. :P

But I'm just cheap. What about ya'll?

PatrickD
09-08-2003, 11:48 AM
I wanna say no to sushi cause it'll probably be fairly expensive. Plus if we're going to be near/in/around Chinatown questing for fabric stores, it seems like it'd make more sense to eat there (or end the fabric tour there for eating) since you can find cheap, GOOD eats. I think nearly everyone likes Chinese...but does everyone like sushi? And I know that I never really have that much money to spend, and I'm not even in college...so I'd rather get a whole meal for about 5 bucks instead of a single roll of sushi. :P

But I'm just cheap. What about ya'll?

Sounds good. I don't eat sushi, but I'm a big fan of Chinese (especially dumplings...mmmm...) I've been in the Boston area for 8+ years, but I've never actually been to any fabric places IN Boston. (Having a car, I can easily get around to the suburbs and go shopping there.)

nocturnalkitten
09-08-2003, 11:52 AM
I'm up for anything ^_^ What restaurants are good in Chinatown? My fave Golden Palace shut down and now the only place I go to is Shabuzen, but they're like $12 - $16 a meal. Ugh, can I say I smell like beer now? Stupid keg blew up all over my shirt at work...grrrr.

Ali
09-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Yeah... I actually don't eat sushi, but I really like veggie tempura, so I'd be up for Japanese food anyway. On the other hand, Chinese wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if we've got a few people and can share dishes (yay mooching!).

Wanna try something for this weekend?

nocturnalkitten
09-08-2003, 12:03 PM
I can do this weekend. Mooching is good ^_^ Does anyone else like salt and pepper squid (or shall I be the only one sporting bad breathe...promise I'll bring some Orbitz)?...yummm.

number18
09-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Ok. The places in Chinatown I've eaten at are Chow Chau's (or Chau Chow's...either or) and they had some absolutely delicious food. It's decently priced. Dishes are like 7 and 8 bucks and up, I believe.

Then there's China Pearl, where I had breakfast dim sum and it was amaaazing. My friend and I had about 6 or 7 dishes and the total was only 18 bucks. So I want to say prices there are good and so's the food, definitely.

Final place I've eaten at is Penang, which is one of my favorite asian food places from Philly. The Philly menu is slightly better (spicy crispy squid is to die for!), but the food here is good too. Decent prices. "Asian fusion" food - mostly Malaysian, Indian, Indonesian kinda stuff. REAALLLLY good tho. My fave is the clay pot noodles.

As for other places, though, I don't really know. There's a cute stationary/wannabe Sanrio store there, an awesome store that sells medicinal herbs and Japanese candy for good prices, as well as many fly Chinese bakeries, etc, etc...but like I said before, I never noticed any fabric stores. Then again, I never really wandered out of the area. Cause I'm stupid. :/

Rukawa
09-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Yeah be fun to eat around chinatown, haven't ate there in awhile. Lol and I live like 10 mins from the place. My friend said there was a fabric store somewhere in chinatown I never been there so I'll have to ask her. She said it was pretty decent. Anything is fine with me I suppose. Just give the time. I would take my car but then yeah.. I hate paying for parking and finding a free place to park there is hard enough.

Ali
09-08-2003, 09:57 PM
So should we aim for this weekend, then?

number18
09-08-2003, 10:03 PM
I'll probably be working smack dab in the middle of the day. But I'm the minority at the moment. ^^

Koumori
09-09-2003, 08:13 AM
I have performance commitments all weekend, but have fun.

nocturnalkitten
09-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Should we try and give people more time and shoot for next weekend instead?

Ali
09-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Sounds good. I'd really like to meet up with as many of you as possible, so anything'll work. Weekends are best for me, though.

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Aw, I want to meet up with everyone too... Ah well, maybe over the summer. ..Or winter break. I am always dead bored over winter break. Would anyone like to do things during winter break? ^_^

number18
09-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Hey, most any idea sounds like a good idea to me. Winter break sounds interesting. ^^

Koumori
09-10-2003, 10:01 AM
What is this "winter break" of which you speak?

nocturnalkitten
09-10-2003, 12:20 PM
I'm up for winter break ^_^ Anyone ski or snowboard? You can watch me wipe out on the mountain...hehehe. Hmm...if people want to try for next weekend, how about Sunday, Sept 21st? I have to babysit my nieces on Sat and I can't pass that up...they're way too adorable :jjacks:

~T

johnnyfoodmaste
09-10-2003, 08:32 PM
I'm available just about every saturday...except the 27th and the 4th of October. I would like to be involved too.

Number18: Good reference in your signature! High quality movie!

number18
09-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Number18: Good reference in your signature! High quality movie!

lol...it's actually a reference to the outtakes from the last Berserk DVD. :D But I still have love for Wonka.

Kurthy133
09-11-2003, 02:40 AM
@_________@ i am one very confused little girl--- for a sec i thought we were making plans for chinese on a coming weekend... now we are talking winter break?

wha? x____X *so lost*

PatrickD
09-11-2003, 09:53 AM
@_________@ i am one very confused little girl--- for a sec i thought we were making plans for chinese on a coming weekend... now we are talking winter break?

wha? x____X *so lost*

I think some people are just getting carried away here. Pay no attention. Let's just plan a gathering on an upcoming weekend and save talk of ski trips for a separate thread.

nocturnalkitten
09-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain?...j/k ^_^ When does everyone wanna go next weekend? Time, meeting place?

Koumori
09-11-2003, 01:12 PM
I have a feeling that a concrete suggestion needs to be made quickly. ;) So try this one on for size: You will meet at the Chinatown T station, outside the Dunkin Donuts on Washington Street. If you want to eat first, meet at 1 PM, but be aware that on weekends those are prime dim sum hours, or at least they were before SARS. Dunno now. If you want to eat after, meet at 4 PM.

lialia
09-11-2003, 02:34 PM
bah everyting always happens on the weekends and the weekends are really the only times i ~have~ to work *cries*

neways welcome to boston ali :) i myself have never been to a fabric store in boston i go to the fabric place in the woburn mall *drools over the insane collection of silks*

id love to meet up with everyone but unless i can get a few weeks notice on the weekend i wont be able to *damns the waitressing industry*

number18
09-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Hm. This plan of yours, Koumori, it is aimed for next weekend, yes?

How does Saturday the 20th sound to everyone? I just found out that on this particular saturday I'll be working 5 am to 12pm, so I can actually hang out during the day, granted I can get a ride to Alewife station, which shouldn't be hard at all. Eating first is a novel idea. We can probably also catch lunch time prices/specials (cause don't you know I always want the lunch time dish and it's always too late!). And then after eating, store tour it is! BUT! Who will be going that actually knows the locations of the fabric stores? Certainly not I. Perhaps my friend that I might try to bring along...but I can't garuntee. Will you be going, Koumorisan?

Koumori
09-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Hm. This plan of yours, Koumori, it is aimed for next weekend, yes?

Will you be going, Koumorisan?

It honestly depends on how tired I am. This week/next week I have a LOT going on - this is one of my busiest times at work, then I've got either performances or practices 5 days out of 7, my 30th birthday stuffed in there somewhere, and I may just want to hibernate with my sweetie, who hasn't been getting a lot of Quality Koumori Time lately, and my cat who may or may not be having major surgery. I'll keep you posted. :)

number18
09-11-2003, 03:19 PM
I'll keep you posted. :)

Sounds good to me. I'm sure we could find something if we wandered around enough.

Anyone else know where to go for fabric stores?

Ali
09-11-2003, 04:25 PM
Certainly not me. It'd be cool if you can come find some time for it, Koumori, so I'll just hope you feel up to it. ^_^

If not, I'm up for wandering aimlessly... It's how I've found a lot of stuff so far. :)

-Ali

Rukawa
09-11-2003, 11:35 PM
the 20th I'll be in plymouth for their shoot so there goes that day for me. Other than that I'm pretty much free. Err shoot I forgot to ask my friend where that fabric store in chinatown was... I'll definately ask tomorrow.

nocturnalkitten
09-12-2003, 12:18 AM
I'm up for the 20th ^_^ Not too sure where the fabric stores are, but I'm sure we can get directions and find them together. Did everyone want to meet at 1pm outside the Chinatown T station?

Re:
Lialia - We'll have to set up some more meetups so everyone can hang out and meet each other ^.^
Koumori - Hope you can make it too, but most of all really hope your cat is ok.

number18
09-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Oh yeah the Plymouth photoshoot.

Well, isn't it a themed one? The people that don't really have costumes for that can all just go fabric shopping! And I think we should plan fabric store/costume supply trips for the hell of it once a month maybe; perhaps even twice a month. Just to hang out and all, if nothing else.

Rukawa
09-12-2003, 12:58 PM

Well, isn't it a themed one? The people that don't really have costumes for that can all just go fabric shopping! And I think we should plan fabric store/costume supply trips for the hell of it once a month maybe; perhaps even twice a month. Just to hang out and all, if nothing else.

Actually there isn't a theme to this one. So any character from any anime/manga/game/j-rock/whatnot can go.

PatrickD
09-12-2003, 04:34 PM

Yep. I want to go to that, so the 20th is already booked for me.

And I think we should plan fabric store/costume supply trips for the hell of it once a month maybe; perhaps even twice a month. Just to hang out and all, if nothing else.

Sure! I'll be hanging out somewhere this Sunday. I dunno where or when yet, but I'll keep you all posted in case anyone feels like showing up. :)

Kurthy133
09-12-2003, 05:30 PM
my plans are for the photoshoot too.... gomen nasai. but im usually usually free whenever like Rukawa <3

Ali
09-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Well, I really don't mind much when we do this... Would you like to aim for the 27th instead, or just leave it at the 20th and try to arrange another one in October?
I'm not really partial... all I need to do is find a place to buy boning and velvet and possibly learn of a few more places to buy fabric (I got two Vash coat commissions for Halloween... nur). In the meantime, I can just stick with that one on Cambridge St. Maybe I'll even find a zipper or two this time!

I'm so hitting JoAnn's the second I get home for Thanksgiving.

-Ali

Sweet~Pea
09-12-2003, 07:37 PM
The "fabric store/costume supply trips" sounds interesting. I'd like to go see some of the shops in Boston:)
- Christa

megumibish
09-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Dies I'm so late to this thread...I'd love to go fabric shoping. but i'm only available every other weekend. I'm free the 27th but I've only been to boston 2 times before... ><;; so i'mma have to get a crash test on riding the train from lowell. ^_^

number18
09-13-2003, 07:21 AM
If it's better for everyone on the 27th, that sounds cool. I dunno if I'll be able to make it though. But if my schedule this week is like next week's, and it might be cause my boss is an idiot, then I might be able to go.

Who is still interested in going on the 20th, then?

PatrickD
09-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Sure! I'll be hanging out somewhere this Sunday. I dunno where or when yet, but I'll keep you all posted in case anyone feels like showing up. :)

I'll be hanging out at the Prudential Mall in the food court area on Sunday, Sep 14 from 2:00 until 2:30 at the latest. I'll be the tall guy in the white, long sleeve "I survived Anime Boston 2003" T-shirt. If anyone wants to come by and hang out in Boston/Cambridge for the rest of the day, come on by.

Koumori
09-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Looks like my honey and I are going to sneak off to Maine for the weekend next weekend, but have fun all!

Ali
09-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Okay... so. Who's on for this Saturday (20th)?

nocturnalkitten
09-15-2003, 04:59 PM
I can't make it since I have to work last minute 6_6 We'll def. have to plan some more cosplay gatherings though. I'm hitting King Richard's Faire Sat, Oct 11th with a group of friends if anyone wants to come ^_^

~T

megumibish
09-19-2003, 08:25 PM
well i'm going to go to boston on the 27th. hopefully i don't get lost. maybe i can meet with someone ..who knows. number 18 do you know your schedule for the 27th. maybe we can chill hopefully since i'm taking the train. otherwise i'm off to search for the jumbo pack of pocky alone. they only sell the small ones here ^_^

Rukawa
09-19-2003, 09:35 PM
I'll be somewhat free that day next week. So yeah.. could hang out and stuff. Then again I live i n the area heh.

number18
09-19-2003, 10:08 PM
Beh. I'll be working 5am to 12 on the 27th. What train are you gonna take?

megumibish
09-20-2003, 04:46 AM
hey I'll be on aim tonight at 8:00 p.m. that way we can figure the schedule out. i'm hoping your train goes to north station as well. ttylz

Ali
09-21-2003, 12:56 AM
well... I managed to find my way to Winmill... and immediately spent much more than I should. I hope I'll be able to find it again... (props to the friendly doorman who knew not only where Chauncy St. was, but directed me to the fabric store as well... I'm so hopeless when lost in big cities...)

Well, if I have some more free time, I'd love to hang out with people next week... though I do have a few Vash coats to finish before Halloween (damn last minute commissioners...) and I'm not sure what the 'free time' deal is going to be.

I do have one idea, though... I'm dying to finish my Witch Hunter Robin costume before Halloween, and how kickass would it be to head out to Salem on/around the 31st for pictures? I think I'm going to do it anyway, but it'd be fun to have other cosplayers along for support... ^_^

Rukawa
09-21-2003, 09:57 AM
I think Salem is a bit too crowded during halloween.

PatrickD
09-21-2003, 01:55 PM
I think Salem is a bit too crowded during halloween.

I agree. I've done that for the last two years, but it was so crowded that it just wasn't fun. It took about two hours just to drive into town too. Not worth the effort.

Ali
09-21-2003, 08:27 PM
But as you said, you did it. I've hardly ever done anything on halloween, aside from sitting at home, watching Carrie or something and handing out candy to the kids. Sometimes not even that much.

It's pretty much just the principal of the thing. ^_^

Rukawa
09-21-2003, 09:12 PM
I never been out on halloween eiver but this time I'm going out ^.^

nocturnalkitten
09-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Ack, I'm the biggest wimp in haunted houses. Yeah, I've been to Salem twice and both times the insane crowds killed the whole experience. How about Spooky World? I went for the first time two years ago and it was decent. The lines weren't too bad. The guys I went with had a blast at the rotten tomato throwing booth.

~T ^_^

Kurthy133
09-22-2003, 10:34 PM
Halloween would be a really good idea - but i agree with Rukawa and PatrickD - i went to salem even before Halloween and it was crowded :P

i like the Spooky World idea *past resident of Foxboro and the Stadium* ^^ basically, i'm happy as long as there is a meetup!

<3

Eilonnwy
09-22-2003, 11:41 PM
I would LOVE to come! I should be available the 27th. Chinatown station right? What time? I think 12 or 1pm is a good time to meet. ^_^ I'll probably wear my blue camaflauge pants so I'll be noticeable.

Oh, and I love Halloween. Me and my friend Ashley wanted to go to Spooky World dressed up as a Dominatrix and a pet (I was to be the pet) but we found out Spooky World not only doesn't have people dressing up, but it doesn't allow it. That is the suckiest thing in the world.

I'm planning on a Ed (Cowboy Bebop) cosplay in time for Ushicon. I love Texas, I must go back there soon! x_x

Koumori
09-23-2003, 06:34 AM
*puts on Organizer Hat*

You will meet the 27th at 1 PM at the Dunkin Donuts outside the Chinatown T-stop on Washington Street. You will miss dim sum time, but you will live.

Eilonnwy
09-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Sounds great! I shall try to make it. ^_^

Ali
09-23-2003, 01:40 PM
yay organization.
I shall do my best to be awake by then. ^_^

Kurthy133
09-23-2003, 08:35 PM
leave it to Koumori to organize ^_^

Rukawa
09-23-2003, 08:48 PM
1 doesn't seem bad, surely I should be awake then err.. well maybe ^^;

megumibish
09-24-2003, 04:36 AM
Hello, umm question...the t stop by china town is the orange line right? I just want to make sure so I don't um...get lost. thanks for any help...I haven't been to boston in like 6 years...^^;;

Rukawa
09-24-2003, 06:11 AM
yeah its on the orange line

Koumori
09-24-2003, 07:40 AM
www.mbta.com

number18
09-24-2003, 08:28 AM
Megumibish, I totally did not see that post of yours about being on AIM that night to plan for Sunday. And I didn't post to say I couldn't go. So sorry to not make my plans clear to anyone who would have cared.

Anyway, besides Megumi, I know of one other person that's from Lowell who cosplays (Zhango Squ on this board - he was Kakashi from Naruto at AB03), and I have a feeling there's another one somewhere on this board from Lowell. Interesting, ain't it...

As for Chinatown stop, you get on the red line, ride to the stop where the free orange line interchange is, and then hop on the orange line. There's a map right there where you can check which direction you shuld take, and then the Chinatown stop is the very next stop. Actually, I know you could probably skip the interchange thing and walk there without having to get on the subway, but I really don't know the way and since it's a free interchange, do you really care? I personall just like to know how to get around without having to take the subway everywhere.

EDIT - Sorry, my little email subscription thing took me to the last post instead of the last post I had read. So I missed the thing about meeting up on the 27th. _; And thusly, I somehow got confused - this is going to be a general meetup/fabric store thing, correct?

Eilonnwy
09-24-2003, 03:35 PM
The redline station you want to get off at and switch to the orange line is Downtown Crossing. If you're taking the greenline, get off at Park Street, and you don't even have to take the red line to Downtown crossing. Downton Crossing and Park Street are so close, there's a walkway in the station that leads to Downtown Crossing.

Rukawa
09-24-2003, 06:32 PM
EDIT - Sorry, my little email subscription thing took me to the last post instead of the last post I had read. So I missed the thing about meeting up on the 27th. _; And thusly, I somehow got confused - this is going to be a general meetup/fabric store thing, correct?

Yeah thats what it is. Theres others in lowell hiding from us hehe. Just get lucky and find them. I know a few more from there. Since I hang around in Lowell a lot when I stay over my friend's place. ^^

megumibish
09-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all the help...I definitely know i can get to the orange line walking from north station...did that once with a friend. And don't worry number 18 I just figured it's saturday night and you were out. ^_^.. ooo more cosplayers in lowell. I only knew that neko kaolla is here in lowell for school. oh yeah, so you guys will know who I am, I'll be the girl in legwarmers...hehheh I've yet to see anyone else wear legwarmers..

Eilonnwy
09-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Sadly I can't go now. ;-; I JUST got a job and couldn't turn down work for Saturday and Sunday. I hope you plan another meeting that i can go to.

Kurthy133
09-24-2003, 08:27 PM
I'll be the girl in legwarmers...hehheh I've yet to see anyone else wear legwarmers..

wow... i thought that was just me! i actually love legwarmers ^_^ so comfy..mmm.... i actually made a pair of furry ones ^_^;; and speaking of lowell - my roomate, cat, is also from lowell (she was isabella from paradise kiss at AB??) anyways, its neat to see all you fellow lowell-ians *giggle*

*reads her post back to herself*

p.s. - i'm sorry if my post seems like a big waste-o-space o____o;;

number18
09-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Legwarmers are all the rage nowadays with those damn scene kids that are all into the 80s once again. Course, I've been one of those few that's been wearing them for a couple years now, so I'm totally more scene than anyone else. And besides, I started wearing em cause I am into Japan and liked the "loose socks" look, not cause I was tryin to be 80's. Pshaw!!! Oh, Target actually has these goooooorgeous legwarmers for like 6 bucks that are actually thick and long like legwarmers should be! I just bought a pair while out lookin for socks - melony!

Anyways, I'm working till 12 on the 27th, I think...I might be just too tired to deal with getting down there, but who knows. I'll see what's goin down. :D

megumibish
09-25-2003, 04:32 AM
heh they may be trying to make it fashionable again but damned if i don't get the weirdest looks while wearing my white fur ones with blue fur flames. and i've been wearing legwarmers since 2000 i think...I loved the kogal and ganguro culture =P heh anyways to make this post not so OT...hopefully you can make is on sat number 18.

number18
09-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Yeah. I get lot's of silly 80s/flashdance/fame comments. Oh well, though. I should start a legwarmers thread...and we can all talk about how we were all wearing legwarmers back before that guy's momma was born. Ohhh yeah. :Dp

And yes, I would like to go...hopefully.

Ali
09-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Well, I'll certainly be there...I'll try to be early, too. (Though the 'waking up' deal is certainly not going well today...)

Will definitely do my best though.

(Hmm... maybe I should wear a side ponytail so I can fit in with the 80's look? Maybe not...)

So... who's all coming again?

megumibish
09-26-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm definitely going tomorrow. Just gotta remember my umbrella. ^_^ I'm going ot actually get some sleep tonight, was up til 3 a.m. doing last minute drawings... see yas tomorrow.

number18
09-26-2003, 06:04 PM
I don't think I'm going. I am feeling tired already and I wanna work on maybe doing some shirt reconstructions or something. And I have to fix the damn neckline on my #18 shirt. :(

Koumori
09-26-2003, 06:08 PM
This may sound completely lame, but: my cat had major surgery today, so I need to be around tomorrow and Sunday to take care of her.

megumibish
09-26-2003, 06:12 PM
hey that's coolies. I love cats myself so i can understand the concern. hope your kitty does well. oh and rest yourself up number 18.

number18
09-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Oh the poor thing. Is she very groggy? I'm sure she'll be a sweatheart with you taking care of her. :)

And we WILL all get together one day to going fabric shopping. !!!!!!!

Rukawa
09-26-2003, 08:17 PM
heh should I just dye my hair so it'll be easier to find me? heh j/k I should be wandering around there sometime so I'll be there for sure.

Koumori
09-26-2003, 09:55 PM
Oh the poor thing. Is she very groggy? I'm sure she'll be a sweatheart with you taking care of her. :)

She's at the vet overnight (think: considerably less cat than there was yesterday)... I can't pick her up until tomorrow, but they did call to let me know she was awake. :)

number18
09-27-2003, 01:48 PM
=has to move from holding her kitty to type...hates doing that=

That makes me quite glad. ^_^ I hope she'll be ok.

Ali
09-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Yay.... I get to be the first one to say how the meetup went.

So, I got there late and met up with Megumibish (thank you for wearing the legwarmers...it made things much easier!) and then Rukawa showed up. We went to Winmill (thanks to Megumi's map... my memory was poorer than I realized), a few shops in Chinatown, Faneuil hall for a snack, back to Chinatown for bubble tea, and to Boston Common (and counted four weddings). Much fun! It's a shame that everyone couldn't make it.

Still, I hope that Koumori's mad organizational skills (wait... 'wicked' organizational skills...) will provide us with another chance to get together.

P.S. Thank you for the great directions Koumori! I'm sure this wouldn't have worked out without your help.

Koumori
09-27-2003, 05:11 PM
Still, I hope that Koumori's mad organizational skills (wait... 'wicked' organizational skills...) will provide us with another chance to get together.

Hey, anytime you want me to tell you what to do, just let me know! ;)

Got the kitty home; she's okay, and even able to move around OK, but needs lots of rest and TLC.

Ali
09-27-2003, 05:15 PM
Glad to hear she's doing well... give her a scratch behind the ears from me.

megumibish
09-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Aww glad your kitty is okay Koumori. ^_^
Aside from that today was fun...I wanna start sewing my jacket now... It was really great seeing you guys too. Made for a great day. We should definitely organinze another one. I was lucky too because I was only 3 minutes shy of missing my train. Woot for my luck!! Oh and I named my cutie duck puppet Cucumber.. *glomps cute thing*

Rukawa
09-27-2003, 07:44 PM
yea nice meeting you two. Lol I just realized I had a camera with me >.> That duck is funny lookin. Least you didn't miss your train heh. I had to take the long way from BU back to NU. Just cause I got lost a lil hehe silly me. Yeah it was fun.

Sweet~Pea
09-28-2003, 12:25 PM
hello everyone:) Just thought i'd let you peps know that I'm going to be a King Richard's Faire on the 4th all day if anyone else was thinking of going that day:) ttyl
-Christa

nocturnalkitten
09-29-2003, 02:02 PM
I had originally planned to go to KRF on the 4th, but my plans got pushed to the 11th. I heard that there's a new Thai food stand there that's really good. ^_^

Kitty! Hope she's doing well. <sends K's kitty get better vibes> Lost mine in Jan to cancer 6_6 Having a pet be ill can be stressful so hope you're doing ok too. Cats are the best =^_^=

Okay, I am determined to make it to one of the Boston meetups eventually...hehehe, but I just took on a part time sushi chef apprenticeship in Plymouth which is going to suck some of the life out of my weekends. We def. have to plan something for Halloween. Spooky World trip? I'm going hiking up in NH this Sunday if anyone wants to come too. Gonna be a few BU and UMASS people.

~T

Sweet~Pea
09-29-2003, 03:37 PM
oh are you going to be at the sushi place in Plymouth? I'll have to visit you sometime lol. I live in that area.
-Christa

nocturnalkitten
10-01-2003, 01:27 AM
Yup, yup! Sushi Joy. I'll be the crazy new girl trying not to make a mess of the kitchen ^_^ I should be there occasionally on weekends to pick up some new skills. I'll be there this Saturday, but you'll be at faire. Have a good time...I can't wait to go the following week.

Sweet~Pea
10-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Then I might see you there sometime :)
-Christa
PS. Yeah, our club was thinking of going to Sushi Joy in cosplay for no real reason than to get together in cosplay lol. Sometime in November or after. One of the members suggested it. Any thoughts on this, weird, cool, nuts (lol)?

nocturnalkitten
10-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Muwahaha...that would be so funny and amusing. I'd love to be there when you guys walk in. You should be all right as long as you're not in anything crazy <pictures herself squished between cosplayers at the sushi bar>. Maybe call ahead and ask? If only you guys were older...I'd say come to the Halloween party at my family's bar...$500 cash prize, but you need to be at least 21.

Anime Boston is going to be so much fun. Want to finally meet everyone and see how your your costumes turned out! Is there any type of cosplay.com meetup there?

~T =^_^=

number18
10-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Yes, thanks to Koumori, she planned a wonderful clubhouse meeting for cosplay.com members. It was two hours on the first day and quite fun to meet everyone on the board.
There was also a cosplay.com photoshoot that took place in the main lobby of the hotel (there's a partial pic of it in my gallery), which was pretty big and there was LOTS of photo taking. And it seemed there were people not from the boards that just hopped in the pic, slightly annoying me (and I feel as though I shouldn't be), but oh well - more cosplayers, more impressive pic to take home, I guess. :D
Will your Caska be done by then?????????????????????????????

nocturnalkitten
10-02-2003, 01:57 PM
A clubhouse meeting sounds really fun. No, don't think Caska is gonna be done by AB '04 6_6 I will have Sherrice from Scryed and Talim from Soul Calibur 2 though. Too many unexpected expenses came up so I had to put Caska on hold for a bit. Her cavalier boots and gauntlets will take a few weeks, but her armour is the biggest hurdle. I am determined to complete the costume as soon as I can, but I'd rather it be accurate than rushed. I'll probably wear if for more than one con though since I know I'm going to absolutely love it when it's completed.

~T =^_^=