PDA

View Full Version : TF2 - Finding Various Oddities

Rexluna
02-05-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm having a mini TF2 group for Fanime 2010 that will include Sniper, Spy, Soldier, and a female version of Scout (played by me since I can't crossplay to save my LIFE xD).

Now, the costumes of course are fairly simple, but there are a few parts that I'm not quite sure where to look for or what to ask for if I find a place.

For Spy (http://www.edzimbi.com/blog/images/wikipedia_teamfortress2.jpg), finding a blue (most likely) mask will be pretty much impossible so I'd have to make it for him, so I guess the question is what's the best way to draft it? Unless someone has found one? Or something dye-able.

For Sniper (http://www.playerzblog.com/wp-content/sniper.jpg), my main concern is finding the proper hat. Reminds me of Indiana Jones except that Sniper has one side of the hat pulled up. I'm not sure if some outdoors/camping type stores would carry a hat like that? And if so...what would I ask for?

For Soldier (http://www.wolfmanzbytes.com/gamereviews/tf2/tf2ss2lg.jpg), where would I find a helmet? And what in god's name would I use to make those grenades? I guess I'm a bit stumped on the boots, too.

I'm not exactly looking forward to making those guns x.x

Ehkru
02-05-2010, 01:07 AM
When my buddy and I did our RED and BLU Snipers, we brought normal hats of the same style and literally safety pinned the side up, we did it so that the longer side of the pin that was on the outside was the side with no bulky parts. We also used fairly small safety pins, so they weren't really that noticeable whatsoever.

Rexluna
02-05-2010, 01:09 AM
I was thinking of that. That's good to know that it works. Where did you get them?

Ehkru
02-05-2010, 01:21 AM
We actually got them in the men's section of a department store here in the UK called Debenhams. So unfortunately that's not a lot of help. However, we did see a more expensive option in a camping/outdoors stores, so they definitely carry them.

Rexluna
02-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Oh haha. Alright, thanks for the help.

Defectivegirl
02-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Actually for the grenades I made for my friend's soldier I took floral foam rectangles and cut them to be the correct size/shape with a box razor (CAREFULLY), then covered them in eva foam so they have the right look for pineapple grenades. Then used bottle caps, wire and more foam to make the top/pull-pin/handle. Paint/weather and there you go!!

I will try to snap some pictures the next time I see him, they look great

Rexluna
02-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Ahh, I see. Awesome! Thank you!

Defectivegirl
02-07-2010, 03:44 AM
No problem!
Post your results, I would love to see!

Rexluna
02-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Absolutely ^.^ I'm so excited to drag more friends into cosplaying, even if they never do it again xD

abubacar
02-13-2010, 04:00 AM
I may have solutions for all your problems, seeing as my group has done all of those costumes before!

Spy: I found our spy's mask on ebay from a seller who dealt in motorcycle accessories. Just look for a blue balaclava. Also try amazon, i found 85% of my engineer costume on there.

Sniper: We found the hat for sniper at a thrift store. That is where we normally find all the parts to our costumes. Just go to random thrift stores in your area, and look at every shelf. Make a list so you don't forget. You can find some PERFECT stuff for really really cheap. If not a thrift store, once again try ebay or amazon.

Soldier: our soldier found his helmet ebay i think. It was a fiberglass type helmet so its much lighter, he just modded it a bit (added straps on the sides and soldier's stash). Just search up US military helmets or something, it may need painted to be approriate color. The grenades he has were made out of those little barrels of juice (we call them huggies) with the little foil caps on them. Just made the pin and what not to go on it. Tied them to his shoulder belts. And boots can be found at an military surplus store, although they may be a bit pricey.

But really, just try thift stores, ebay, and amazon.com. Most of everything any of my group has in a costume is from one of those sources. Good luck!

Rexluna
02-13-2010, 04:21 AM
Ooooh, I never thought of motorcycle accessories....haha! Now I know what it's called :D Thank you! I'll definitely have to go on a thrift store/ebay rampage soon.

Thanks for your help!

Mirai Baby
02-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Spy: Easy enough. Try finding some sports stores (Sport Authority, Sports Center, etc) and look in their ski section. You could also try motorcycle stores or, if you're desperate enough, make your own out of a thin material. It actually takes no more than an hour or so, if you know what you're doing.

Sniper: That hat is actually just an 'aussie hat' or 'australian outback hat', as stated. You can look on eBay for one that matches similarly, and you can probably find them for cheap.

Soldier: Try looking up/looking at some army surplus stores near you. We have three different stores near me, and one of ours is actually a 'superstore' of such of old/used army things. They have a whole BIN of old WWII helmets. For the grenades, you could easily use airsoft plastic BB holders (http://www.amazon.com/Airsoft-Plastic-800rd-Grenade-B1-800/dp/B0009N108O/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1248476698&sr=8-34). Conveniently grenade-shaped for our own amusement. c: You could also probably find Soldier's boots at the army surplus store. If anything, black rain boots could work just fine.

Rexluna
02-13-2010, 06:02 PM
OMG ok, those grenades are amazing. Thank you. That would save some time making more props.

I'll try searching for the hat under those names if I don't find one nearby.

Thank you!

Mirai Baby
02-13-2010, 06:25 PM
You are most certainly welcome. I had been thinking of making a Soldier costume myself and might still go through with it, if I decide to.

Idk, though. Spy and Scout come first for me, and I know how you feel about the balaclava. I live in San Diego, Ca. so, unless it's in-season, most stores around here don't have a wide selection, and I refuse to buy an official mask from a sports store unless I HAVE to .... especially since the majority of my costume had been found at the secondhand store, lol.

Rexluna
02-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Haha, yeah. I looked online and the ones I found had one hole or three. None with two. So either lots of altering, looking elsewhere, or making my own.

Mirai Baby
02-13-2010, 07:34 PM
You could also ask TF2chan's Cosplay and Conventions (http://www.tf2chan.net/cosplay/) section about your dilemma. Maybe the lot of them would have a better idea of how to make or find the materials you're looking for.

Rexluna
02-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Ooh, nice, I'll have to ask around.

Doktor Lee
02-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Making a Scout crossplay, eh?

For the Scout's sidebag, I've seen people use Yoga-mat bags, preferably in a black color. You can find them in the Aerobic/workout section of places like Target. If you can't find said black color, you can always dye it.

Mirai Baby
02-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Making a Scout crossplay, eh?

For the Scout's sidebag, I've seen people use Yoga-mat bags, preferably in a black color. You can find them in the Aerobic/workout section of places like Target. If you can't find said black color, you can always dye it.

...... was that aimed at me? xD

I think it was aimed at me.

Since you said 'crossplay' instead of 'cosplay.'

At any rate, I'm stealing said idea about the Yoga mat bag. I'd been looking for baseball duffel bags, and they're all the wrong shape. Go figure.

Rexluna
02-14-2010, 04:08 AM
That's a good idea. I think I'll steal that idea too xD

Doktor Lee
02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm glad I could be of service to you two.