PDA

View Full Version : Mirror's Edge cosplay help

dp-man
02-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi guys and gals,

I am new to cosplay and I need help to create a decent costume ;)
I want to cosplay as a police officer from the video game Mirror's Edge.

I can't find any informations on how to make a proper costume and I don't have an idea where to get the colthes for example. The only cosplay shops I know sell anime stuff.

Can you guys/gals help me?
attached picture shows said police officer.

greetings

SvK
02-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Phew, I was afraid you wanted to be one of the armored goons (http://on-mirrors-edge.com/incgalleryview.php?file=30.jpg) from Pirandello/Kruger. That costume would be much more difficult.

You have chosen a minor character from a game that isn't cosplayed often, so you won't be able to buy the exact outfit.

Can you sew at all? This outfit could be based on normal clothes and modified a bit. Break the outfit down into its parts. Black shoes. Blue pants. Blue short-sleeved shirt. White long-sleeved shirt. White gloves. You can buy these at a normal clothing store. Sew a strip of white cloth up the legs of the pants. I'd recommend making the POLICE sign and the patches on the sleeves out of craft foam. It may also be called "fun foam" or "foamies" and can be found in a craft store like JoAnn or Michael's. Cut the letters out of a piece of white craft foam then glue them on a rectangle of black craft foam, then attach that to the t-shirt. I think the patches are supposed to be embroidered, but that's much more difficult.

What accessories does he carry? He has a belt that holds handcuffs, a baton, a radio, and a holster for a pistol. Sunglasses. Badge. Wristwatch. mic/speaker with a wire running down to the radio on his belt. Most of that can be bought at a costume shop or even a toy store. The radio bit on his shoulder is uncommon, but you can fake that with any small box painted white. You could draw on a speaker with Sharpie marker is you like.

dp-man
02-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Well, that heavy-armed dude's going to be the next stage of cosplaying ;)
And I can't sew at all. Any other solutions for that part or some kind of service/shop I can get that stuff done?
How are those things like the one on his shoulder called anyway? Maybe you could buy some of these somewhere even when you're not a police officer or a security guard irl.

What kind of trouser is this? I doubt it's a normal jeans but it also isn't a trouser you'd wear together with a suit. Neither is it a cargo, because there aren't any pockets on the side where the white stripe is.
I have no idea how that kind of trousers is called.
What do you think it'll cost to make that kind of costume?

SvK
02-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Sewing by hand isn't too difficult, but I don't know how to explain it in text over the internet. I recommend finding a friend who can sew to show you. Fabric and craft often have sewing classes that you can take.

This costume is pretty simple, so it should be cheap. You can use most of the clothes in real life, so you'll get much more use out of your money than just a costume.

dp-man
02-11-2010, 08:32 AM
why thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do and how far I'll come with making that costume.

Another question: any idea, where costumes can be presented? Big cons etc., I am very new to cosplay, so I have absolutely no idea ;)

SvK
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't know about cons in Germany. There is a German sub-forum (http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111) here on cosplay.com, and animexx.de (http://animexx.onlinewelten.com/) seems to have a big cosplay section. Maybe you can start there.