PDA

View Full Version : Vocaloid Kaito Pattern Help

bloodmage0
02-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi! So I'm new to this forum and I decided i was going to cosplay~~Kaito! This is the first time I've made a costume and second time I'll be cosplaying at a convention.

Right now i have a general idea of what I'll look like and what I need to do but I'm pretty stumped about the pattern of the costume. The pants I could probably find cheap at Goodwill but the overcoat is a different story. I have no idea how to read let alone make a pattern for it. Also i have a pretty strict budget and i can only afford the materials. Right now i have nothing to work with. It would be nice if a former Kaito could lend me their patterns? :3 Bahh buts that's probably asking to much. Or maybe just give me a few pointers to this costume?

Also it would be lovely if someone could refer me to a guide to measure myself to make the costume fit snuggly on me x3. if it helps with anything, I'm planning to use broadcloth or maybe if someone could refer to a cheaper cloth that would suit this costume?

Thankies x] -Simon

Hotaru230
02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
I used the Matrix costume pattern for my b/f's Akaito costume. I just altered the length
and put a zipper down the front. my b/f hand drafted all the shapes and I sewed them all
on. I think that is a Simplicity pattern, but I'm not sure.

Maneki_Neko14
02-17-2010, 02:44 PM
heres the Matrix pattern I think you are talking about:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2235-costumes.aspx

If you modified it a bit then it should work fine ^_^

bloodmage0
02-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Oh that actually looks really similar. Only problem now is to measure myself... Bleh :l Also when you actually draw out the design on the cloth, do we have to have the arms separate from the body and then sow it together at the end?

So I still need a few more tips so bear with me x3.

Anyone have suggestions on how to make the collar?
Is the bottom of the overcoat going to be bigger then the top?
What fabric should the scarf be x3?
Are all the patterns on the overcoat sown over?
Are the sleeves folded back?
(Yes I'm sorry if I sound stupid x[. First time sowing too xD)

Maneki_Neko14
02-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Oh that actually looks really similar. Only problem now is to measure myself... Bleh :l Also when you actually draw out the design on the cloth, do we have to have the arms separate from the body and then sow it together at the end?

So I still need a few more tips so bear with me x3.

Anyone have suggestions on how to make the collar?
Is the bottom of the overcoat going to be bigger then the top?
What fabric should the scarf be x3?
Are all the patterns on the overcoat sown over?
Are the sleeves folded back?
(Yes I'm sorry if I sound stupid x[. First time sowing too xD)

well you could either A make the base coat from white fabric and the just put dark blue fabric OVER it (like layering it) and sew it into place, that way the seams wont be as weird looking, only problem is it will be thicker and warmer which sometimes is not a good thing DX especially if you use thick fabric or fabric that doesn't breath
another idea is to make the white parts and then sew them onto the blue it parts, like patching... either way would work as long as you use the same, or similar, material for fabric...

and what I do is I will take my patterns and cut out along the line of the size that I am, then pin the paper to the fabric and cut it that way, my hand isn't steady with drawing so it saves me a lot of effort.

ON TO THE QUESTIONS:
- collar -
modify the pattern and add a collar, I'm not very good with making collars that dont fold over, sorry... ummm if you take double the length of the collar and shape it so that it folds over, you could put a peice of iron on interfacing in between the folds to help it stand upright, depending on how stiff you get it. or you could cut out TWO peices of white fabric and put the interfacing inbetween and loop the blue fabric over the top and sew it into place... if that doesn't make sense I could make you a tutorial...
TIP: when working with interfacing, only iron the softer side of it, because the glue is a FREAKING PAIN to work off your good iron ;3

- overcoat -
not sure what you mean by this, could you explain please? arigatou!

- scarf fabric -
anything could work for the scarf, I'd reccomend something that breathes well so that you dont suffocate in the middle of your con. Loosely wooven cotton works fine in a sky blue color...

- sewing patterns -
hmm I'm not EXACTLY sure what you mean but I'll explain how I interperated it:
what I'll do is extract the pattern from the envelope it came in, then lay it out on a flat surface, find the line number that goes with my measurements and cut along the line with scissors, after I get everything I want cut out. I lay my fabric out and pin the pattern to the fabric with sewing pins however it will fit without using too much fabric but still having correct amount and size of peices. Then you remove the pattern and follow the steps on the envelope on how to sew it... remember if you modify a pattern, then cut along the modification and not the line... like if I added 3 inches to then end of it, while cutting out the body peice I'd make both the peices 3 inches longer than the line it says to cut...

-sleeves -
well the sleeves are pulled into cuffs so, yes, techinically then are folded back... what you could do is once you finish the sleeve part, take the dark blue fabric and cut out enough of it to make two rolled cuffs. then you want to fold the fabric in half and sew it about 2/3 of an inch inside the sleeve, and cuff it back into place... then add gold ribbon or fabric and repeat on the other sleeve... if someone has a better method, feel free to use that

you dont sound stupid so dont be hard on yourself, I'm pretty new to this too X3
if you have any more questions just ask

and for any spelling or grammatical errrors: I'm not stupid, I'm just lazy ;3

bloodmage0
02-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Omg you are like a god ._.

Anyways just ignore the overcoat question. Me and my paranoidness just made me bleh :p. Also if it isn't to much trouble maybe you could make me just a rough sketch of what you mean for the collar? Lastly what does a pattern look like out of the package?

Thankies for all the help! x3

Maneki_Neko14
02-22-2010, 02:04 AM
haha I'm not a god, I'm just happy that I can help out 8D

I'll sketch you up a quick diagram on paint then PM you the link when I'm done ^^ actually I just got a miniature KAITO pattern (designed specifically for the character) in the Dengeki Layers VOCALOID bible and after I finish translating it and scan the translations (or draft them out and take pictures) I'd be happy to send you that too so you could draft it out for yourself ^^, though I'm not sure when the translations are going to be done I'll try and finish them up soon =3

IDK about the pattern outside of the package, I dont have the pattern ^^''' I dont cosplay KAITO, sorry! DX

no problem on the rest of the questions tho, feel free to ask anything if you get stuck ;D

bloodmage0
02-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Omg you actually got layers D: Blah if i could read Japanese i would so buy the magazine T.T
Anyways what do you mean by drafting it? Is it like reading the instructions and making a general picture of what it would look like? yea ._. If it isn't too much trouble, may i see the scans with translations? :3 And thanks for the drawing I actually get what you meant.

Alsooo i meant just patterns in general. To be honest i have never seen any kind of pattern before :x

Anyways you deserve a cookie for all your work :]

Maneki_Neko14
02-23-2010, 02:14 AM
@bloodmage:

lol I got it from another cosplayer on here via the marketplace and I love it to death XDDD

drafting it is basically taking paper and sketching out the pattern onto the paper in the size and shape you would need it and use THAT as the pattern instead of the one you got originally, its helpful when you need to modify or if you have a mini pattern like I do (my Miku and Luka ones too cuz everything is squished together onto one paper DX)

I would show you the scans if I had them
1. I haven't finished translating it
2. I haven't drafted it out yet, gomen!
3. andI dont have a scanner DDDDX I need one badly but I can put up pics and stuff once I finish the drafting and translating
I'm still a beginner at translating so it might take a while tho... if your in a rush I'd go with the matrix pattern and go from there

X3 basically when you get a pattern you'll have a bunch of extremely thin paper like sheets. each one has a different pattern on it to help you cut out the right size/shape of fabric before you start sewing, they do have instructions and sizing on the back of the pattern envelope for your convinence (cant spell)
if you have any other questions just ask 8D

and thank you X3 Im happy I'm helping you ^^

bloodmage0
02-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Haha so that's how patterns work. Hm drafting actually sounds pretty fun too :O. Anyway you don't really need to rush :p. The con I'm attending is Wondercon in San Francisco and that's like 6 weeks away? But i shouldn't be the one to talk. I'm the type that likes to procrastinate and your doing all the work 8x

Now actually my friend brought a really good question. Is a pattern reusable? Like i never actually thought of that o.o.

Maneki_Neko14
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
@bloodmage:
depends on what you ish reusing it for ^^ if you save the pattern in the original envelope (the peices that have been cut out) or in a manilla folder with the envelope front and back taped on then and its perfectly legible for your other costume the sure, why not? but if you modify it or cut it where it wasn't specifically designated to be cut on the first costume then probably not... if you want to reuse it you might look into only taking the pattern out to draft it to paper then save to original pattern for later =P

lol 6 weeks isn't very long ya know and it takes a long time to sew a costume so I'll make sure to try and get it done quickly ^^ (<== knows exactly who to ask for a scanner use)
I'm also one to procrastinate lol
I have 5-6 cosplays to finish by April and as you can see (points to signature) I haven't gotten very far.... ^^''''