PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else walk around NYC in costume?

Nintendotaku
09-02-2003, 12:13 AM
I did! it was awesome to get so many stares!

Of course since I was Link I also got a whole lot of "It's Robin Hood!" and "It's Peter Pan!"

This one woman was so excited to see a Link, though, she was like "Link, I need a picture of you! My son loves Zelda!" So she took a couple pictures and said "Thank you so much, he's going to frame this picture!"

Just thinking about a little kid looking at a picture his mother took of my costume and saying "Whoa! That's awesome!" was so freaking cool! ^_^

Juri Pickles
09-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Since the place I was staying at was about 10 blocks away from the hotel, I walked to and from the con in costume for all three days. I got a whole bunch of stares (mostly due to my short skirt than actual character recognition) but it was no big deal. I mean, come on, this is New York. XD This one guy tried talking to me in Japanese though when I was walking home on Sunday.

That's so cute how the mom took your pic. ^_^

Galaxia
09-02-2003, 01:59 AM
I walked to sbarros and back to Penn Station in my Galaxia costume....I got a "Isn't it a little too early for Halloween?" :thumbsup:

ChibiRinoa
09-02-2003, 06:18 AM
I got a few people say "nice hair" including the bellboy and a few guests at our hotel, who were all convinced that my pink wig was my real hair -.-

hnt
09-02-2003, 08:23 AM
I walked to Ray's Pizza Store.... in a heavy Hinata coat XD Mygod... the heat in the store.... *dies*

fireyoukai16
09-02-2003, 09:32 AM
I did, but it wasn't too bad ^^ all i got was a few stares when i was walking to this chinese/japanese restaurant :p

tristasusen
09-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Yep , I had to take the train from newark to nyc and then walk all the way to the hotel, how crazy, when i was vash everyone kept on calling my group the matrix group, and then when i was link people were calling me peter pan, just like u

aeva
09-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I had to walk around NYC a LOT. In my Pai costume. >.>;;;; At one point, I had an entire restaurant staring at me as I ate [the wall we were sitting next to was a mirror]. Between the odd, skimpy halter top, the flowing leopard-print half-skirt around my waist, the third eye in the middle of my forehead, and my 6-foot staff, there was quite a lot to stare at. My friend Johnathan and I came from New Jersey via the PATH trains, so we had to walk from 33rd to 45th coming to and from the con. ....yeah, a lot of stares.

I think it would have been weirder if we were both in our Malice Mizer costumes. We were supposed to go as Le Ciel Közi [me] and Beast of Blood Yu~ki [Jonathan], but due to shipping problems with all of my feathers, we had to cancel that. Yarrr. We were in the "Mana Wars" skit, too. We could have won! ;___;

.....on a related note, I think I also got a lot of stares in NYC because I was nearly falling out of my effing shirt.

We got more stares back in Jersey City, though. Somehow, I managed to lock my keys in my car, and we didn't realize until we got back to my Pimp-mobile [yesh, that's my car's name]. So he and I had to wait 45 minutes for AAA to arrive, and we were both REALLY cold. I only had thin jazz pants over my costume [which is made of cotton and spandex and is backless/sleeveless]; Jonathan had a fishnet shirt on. Yesh. Cold. Lots of staring and dirty old men. ._.

TheAnarCHris
09-02-2003, 10:51 AM
My the friend "The Pope" made three children cry on a deli run.

As for me, ppl dug my Axel Lowe shirt, so no complaints from the Starwind front.

Agent Smith
09-02-2003, 10:52 AM
I did!

Another Agent and I wandered around Toy R US in Times Square.

Some people thought we were FBI members! O_O

The funniest mistake though, was one of the moving crew helping load [pallets at the hotel:

"Wow! I LOVE the Blues Brothers!" ^_^

dylan no tama
09-02-2003, 11:19 AM
i walked down to penn station and a few resturant in my costume
a few people thought my duel disk was some kind of weapon

LadyGackt
09-02-2003, 11:24 AM
i was walking with a chibi Goku and these girls in a limo roll down their windows and go "OMFG ITS GOKU!!! HIIIII"
and the chibi goku im with goes "YO PEACE OUT MAN"
and the girls get soo excited and they scream "OMG OMG"

O_o luckily i arrived at the hotel and changed or else people wouldve thought i was crazy XD

Jubie-Chan
09-02-2003, 11:24 AM
of course i did. this women on the train kept stairing at my friend. (who was merle from escaflowne) and my ranma friend, and me they thought we were at some sort of matial arts competition (koaru kamiya training form is me) and in McDonalds everyone was in costume so i got no stares... the nakid cowboy took all the attention

Zetchi
09-02-2003, 11:30 AM
lol i was rinoa and my friend was yuna from ffx-2
people looks at us like we were freaks
and some guy... when we came out of mc d's was like can i have your soda to my friend
lol
and after we left, she was like it's not my fault you're poor...

but we got stared at a lot lol

LadyGackt
09-02-2003, 11:34 AM
actually, we got more stares when we went up to eat in the hotel...(sooo expensive!!! 6 rolls of sushi for 9 bucks!!! rip off!!)

people asked us if there was a costume party they could go to

boA
09-02-2003, 12:07 PM
actually, we got more stares when we went up to eat in the hotel...(sooo expensive!!! 6 rolls of sushi for 9 bucks!!! rip off!!)

people asked us if there was a costume party they could go to

hi lindaaaaaaaaaa lol o yea.. nd then random ppl were all like "woaa" when they saw your costume.. nd yoo can't ferget those weirdOs who were sitting towards the back that kept staring at yoo .. aka checking yoo out. *gag* LOL o yes, but the sushi was good. haha x]

ki kuru kitty
09-02-2003, 12:18 PM
^_^ haha thats great, yes New York always gives you the oddest looks. But I'm used to it cause I like to dress nice everyday and walk down these mean streets.

Sorahana
09-02-2003, 02:22 PM
I wore my costume from home to the train station in Hamilton. I got a couple stares but then when we were on the train a girl dressed as Inuyasha and her friend got on the train lol XD. We we got to NY, we walked 10 blocked to the Mariott and checked in. Some of the hotel guets asked me what was going on. I had to expalin to them what an anime con was --;.

Nintendotaku
09-02-2003, 02:42 PM
Some of the hotel guets asked me what was going on. I had to expalin to them what an anime con was --;.

Yeah, same here. "There's a Japanese Animation convention on a few of the lower floors, you'll probably see a lot more people in costume if you go by there."

A few people didn't bother to ask, and a couple little kids started laughing immedeately after they got out of the elevator with me.

I love making a scene!

Sorahana
09-02-2003, 02:48 PM
ALOT of people think Anime is childish andits for little kids. I can't stand it when people talk about anime like that lol XD. It's for all ages!! lol
It was fun getting stares from people.
I rode in an elevator with Ren Usami! He had his translator with him and all lol. I just stared at him lol XD;

fireyoukai16
09-02-2003, 02:49 PM
A few people didn't bother to ask, and a couple little kids started laughing immedeately after they got out of the elevator with me.
XD..who were you cosplaying as anyways?

Nintendotaku
09-02-2003, 03:03 PM
XD..who were you cosplaying as anyways?

I was Link from Legend of Zelda, but to the casual observer I was perhaps Robin Hood or Peter Pan >_<. Probably Peter Pan because I had the fairy.

And yeah, I know what you're saying about people thinking anime is childish, CCAmanda. So many people had no idea what we were talking about until I mentioned Pokémon.

cyborg_mermaid
09-02-2003, 03:13 PM
I got looks from people like I was a crazy, 'course I looked like some wacked-up religious activist who specializes in arts & crafts and works at a bank on the side. XD.

I bet if I walked around with a Punisher instead of a Confessional I might be recognized easier by some kids.

fireyoukai16
09-02-2003, 03:15 PM
I was Link from Legend of Zelda, but to the casual observer I was perhaps Robin Hood or Peter Pan >_<. Probably Peter Pan because I had the fairy.

And yeah, I know what you're saying about people thinking anime is childish, CCAmanda. So many people had no idea what we were talking about until I mentioned Pokémon.
oh yeah! lol >.> forgot about the other page where you said that :p

lol,yeah. i remember in Shoujocon, an old lady came up to me in the bathroom and asked me if there was a costume party lol Yes...i was to lazy to explain it all, so i just said "ah...there's an anime convention today' ^^' hehe

neoangelwink
09-02-2003, 03:28 PM
yes ^_^ , went alway to si in too!!

aeva
09-02-2003, 04:33 PM
I love making a scene!

Me tooo!

Actually, I find it quite easy to explain what an anime convention is. ....well, that's what I though, until an old lady asked me if you had to join a membership list to be intersted in anime. She asked some ODD questions.

hnt
09-02-2003, 04:50 PM
People thought I had a cold o_O *points to jacket*

tristasusen
09-02-2003, 08:00 PM
when i was going to penn station to go home at night, i was vash and my friend were j rocker, and their was this guy preaching about god and when he saw us he yelled "go to hell, go to hell" i turned around and gave him a dirty look :untrust: and kept waking

Zetchi
09-02-2003, 08:34 PM
when i was going to penn station to go home at night, i was vash and my friend were j rocker, and their was this guy preaching about god and when he saw us he yelled "go to hell, go to hell" i turned around and gave him a dirty look :untrust: and kept waking

OMG LOL
he told you guys to go to hell
luckily no one talked to me

hikura
09-02-2003, 08:55 PM
I walked from 10 east 52nd street with my friend to grand central station and did not get a single look.I played james sunderland from silent hill 2.He wears normal clothes and did not get a friggin look not even carrying around a fake lead pipe that acutally looks pretty real.Not one cop or national guard stopped me lol.I had one person at the con who more or less recoginized me and not one other person did.That is what i get for playing a "normal" looking character.I wish people asked me but no one else did.I was the guy wear bleu jeans a grey shirt a green army jacket and carrying the red pipe around.

AnimeParty
09-02-2003, 09:04 PM
I walked from Grand Central to Time Square (4 blocks) but I had to walk around Chappaqua (where everyone knows me) and then take the train (which happend to be filled with more people who knew me) before getting into the city. -_-' Luckly I was cosplaying as Shigure, so it wasn't too out-of-the-ordinary. It could of been worse, if I had finished the Lu Xun costume....XD I had the army peoples in Grand Central give me some weird looks, along with a lot of police on the way down.

Ember
09-03-2003, 04:02 AM
Lol... First thing i did friday morning was hop into my moogle suit. :} I was staying at the west ymca {63st 5ave} which was a good walk to the convention.... Us poor canadians didn't have money for a good hotel. The y is okay better with the more people you bring though. At any rate my brother was in the shower while i was dressing and opens the door and and sees me standing there in my white suit... and just drops everything and exclaims WTF your gonna walk TO the convention like that!!!!!!!?? I was like sure why not this is new york its 'pose to be "wild" here... which i have to say it wasn't to bad... and waaaaaaaah i missed the naked cowboy sob... haha. I didn't want to bring extra bags to the convention haha :} although umm well i was practically nakkid under my suit and thank the heavens for that. As is I probally lost ten lbs from the walking to a from ther eevery day as well as the walks to the restraunts... we didn't only eat at mc-dicks. I got many people saying nice suit haha... One person was rude... grrrrrrr evil rich peoples... {was someone too snotty to say it to my face haha}. But other than that i only had to deal with a lot of petting... and many people saying ooooooh nice cat... wait your not a cat... umm haha :}. PS i did wash it for the show hahaha stinky moogles are not happy moogles :}. pps I am hoping to do much more in cos-play... and was wondering if anyone did have a good book on head ect... things like that hehe.
Thanks

ChiiProductions
09-03-2003, 12:03 PM
i was dressed as nanaka from magic users club i only walked though the city one in day in costume .. my friendwas wearing my witch hat but i got weird looks from the naked cowboy... and the girl in starbucks was asking what was going on sunday and i told her not to worry ( it was sunday) i told her all the werid ppl would be gone by tomorrow ^_^;;

Bluucircles
09-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Just walking from the Marriott to the McDonalds across the street was an adventure. I was with a Marle and a Yuffie, but I had a tendency to get the most stares. Walking around as Thief Rikku was kinda @___@ Lots of guys would look me up and down and old ladies would stare at me strangely. God, that skirt was waaaay shorter than I had previously thought it was. Oh well, all comes along with the experience, ne?

Midknight
09-05-2003, 07:59 AM
Since we were staying in the Upper East Side at my bf's sister's appartment, my bf and I got to commute to the hotel each day. The first day I wore my whole Miyu costume. Strangely enough, I didn't really get as many weird looks as I thought I would. On the way to get on the subway, a lady complimented me on my costume and asked who I was. After saying "Vampire Princess Miyu", she asked if we were going to the anime convention it timesquare (she had read about it in the paper or something). But other than that I didn't get any comments... Saturday I wore regular clothes and my Miyu wig on the subway (that costume is just too hot to walk around NY in... two layers of polyester) and I changed into the rest of the costume when I got to the hotel. And I did get more weird looks from the diners in the restaurant on the 8th floor then pretty much anywhere else. My bf was lucky that he could take his mask/robe/gloves off while he ate. I was stuck in costume... I waved and smiled to some of the people that just kept staring lol.

Jessie_James
09-12-2003, 09:13 PM
I did I went to Mc Donalds and the Pizza place and walked to the Pokemon Center in my costume and got some pictures along the way. I was James from Team Rocket if anyone recalls, and even went home on the train *Amtrak to Virginia in my costume I was running late and didn't have time to change. lol ^_^

Reiko
09-12-2003, 10:35 PM
me and my Inuyasha's went to MAc's people kept trying to tell them to sit but then they just pionted at me and walked away. we were walking and one dude said he would buy us all drinks cause he loved our costumes so much... then later we walked out in our raver inuyasha costumes... O_O scary I got beeps....

Jes-Chan
09-27-2003, 07:34 AM
My Friend did... it was funny... because she had the ears ((she was Inuyasha)) and the outfit with WHITE hair! SO EVERYONE STARED!
XD No one stared at me ^-^ They probably will at AnimeNext XDDDD

Ryoko-Dono
09-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Oh yeah, people definatly stared at me, I walked aroun with a bright orange wig. One person actually walked up to me and asked where the con was. ^^ Guess I was a walking bill-board.

Inque
10-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Each day...I went to and from the con in costume...and walked around...to eat...to go to the store..just to walk around lol.

I walked around...in my green faery costume...my yui costume and my cat girl costume...props and all..>Except for the wings for my fae costume on the first day...I did not wear those there on the first day ^^ to much chaos

hyde
10-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Mine wasn't too bad. Actually I liked the fact with my cosplay on Sunday. ^^ Friday me and my Jrock group got nasty ass comments from random guys and nasty stares, etc. and the usual, "Isn't it to early for Halloween," bs. ^^;

As for Sunday, I went to Kinokuniya and the Japanese lady thought I was hyde. (She was talking to me in Japanese and called me haido san. :3 awww I didn't say anything to her just to cover up my voice. ^^) I thought it was too cute.

Genki Chan
11-05-2003, 12:43 AM
...Anyone remember the naked cowboy?

Well, I was just crossing the street to get to the Inital D movie, wearing my Ken Hidaka costume (very... large... claws) and I was stopped by a tv station who had come to do an interview with him. Since I was in costume, they thought I was part of his act, and they kept asking me stupid questions @_@... one happened to be if I was an assassin though... and seeing as how Kenken is... who could help but say yes? =D

Other then that, I was seated at the back of resturants so as not to be see, and asked if I was wolverine enough times to be sick of X-men for a month. ^_^

DerNash
11-05-2003, 07:03 AM
Wow, you're all a lot braver than I am. I got enough funny looks to unsettle me just walking around as Kilik on Halloween of all days... I'd probably die walking around in costume on any normal day.

RoboGundam6
11-05-2003, 12:35 PM
In some goth mag, so I read goth, I saw a review on Vampire Princess Miyo and I was like " I SAW IT! I SAW IT! HAHAHAHAHA! HEY GUYS I SAW IT!" and they were like <_< " We don't know her!"
HEHE! Insanity is my speicalty. As for walking aroung, just stares, lots O' stares.

PS. Stares SHOULD come with free food!

cyankirby
11-07-2003, 11:12 AM
I simply walked across the street to McDonalds to get some food in my bowser (people stared and someone called me a stegosaurus...hmmm... Someone stepped on my tail too :( ) Some random guy in McD came over and ramdomly started talking about dressing up as santa and sesame street characters. I was like "riiiiight" and got out of there as fast as I could. Had to balance all the food while carrying my stuff too...not too fun.

cyankirby
11-07-2003, 11:13 AM
I simply walked across the street to McDonalds to get some food in my bowser (people stared and someone called me a stegosaurus...hmmm... Someone stepped on my tail too :( ) Some random guy in McD came over and ramdomly started talking about dressing up as santa and sesame street characters. I was like "riiiiight" and got out of there as fast as I could. Had to balance all the food while carrying my stuff too...not too fun. :eeek:

Sorahana
11-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Aww poor you.........:pats: I walked from the train station to the hotel and got stares in my Tohru outfit lol XD. My cousin was embarrased to be sen with me XD. My mom and aunt kept saying how pretty stuff was O_O.

TwiliteSea
11-29-2003, 05:07 PM
I went to McDonald's in my Rikku costume. Of course, I had to roll down my halter top to its original length or else I'd be kicked outta the restaurant ^^;;

Jingles
11-30-2003, 11:30 AM
I had 3 incedents:

1-I was walking in my San cos to catch my train at Penn and some guy asked me how Siberia was (guess he saw my fur cape). I just noded and said it was beautiful around this time of year.

2-Walking ot Penn some one asked me where I baught my mask. I told him I made it and he grabbed his wife and kids and started ranting to them and pointing at it. ^^*

3- I was online at McDonalds and some tourist guy asked if he could have his picture with me (he even called me San!^^).

Zephyrs
11-30-2003, 08:25 PM
I went out wandering in both my Mother Sophia and Cecilia costumes... the latter is far less "costume" than the former... my friends went out as white and black mages and Rin from Inuyasha so I think they were worse off than I was!

Akezumante
12-03-2003, 09:31 PM
I dressed up as Summoner Yuna at my Local Mall ( The largest one on Long Island NY ) the day Final Fantasy X2 came out ... I guess it was a celebration? Barely anyone knew who I was ... and the people who did either pitied or praised me. :-p

On holloween however, I did get attacked by this swarm of Final Fantasy Fans I didn't know about ... :-p

Jingles
12-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Gotta love random groups of fans *imagines the FF x2 crew being chased down the street by a pack of screaming fans like an old cheesie Beatles movie*

(dont do pixi sticks children, its bad for your brain :bigtu: )

Flippy
01-02-2004, 02:21 PM

Ahhh....that is so funny...I would have just walked up to him and been like....it's anime....not (normally) a cult or a followers of saitan...it falls under the same genre as pokemon, sailor moon and astoboy (thouse would have been the only one that he might have possibly heard of so whats the use telling him other series) whats so scary about that!

Relika
01-04-2004, 06:55 PM
::laughs:: Last BAAF, my friends and I were cosplaying FFT characters (White Mages and Summoners). We took the subway from Queens to Manhattan. It was great, some of the stares we got. Later that day, when we were walking to 42nd St to grab a bite to eat, some guy at the hot dog stand looks at us and goes "WHOA!".

The next day I went to McDonalds for breakfast and the cashier blinks and goes to me "Tifa Lockheart!". I saw Phantom of the Opera later that day (since there was a huge pause in activity) so I had to go in my Tifa costume (Tifa costume+cold theater=\=fun) and while I was waiting at the stage door to talk to an actor I know some girl goes "o.o....Tiiiiiifaaaaaa!". Was interesting.

On Halloween my friend was dressed up as Link and he got a lot of "Robin Hood?"s.

hnt
01-05-2004, 05:18 PM
LOL! The mistakes on characters are just hilarious XD Some guy thought my friend dressed up as Kiba (naruto) was Wolverine XD

Something Lulu
01-06-2004, 12:20 AM
I've actually never done it. I live in NYC and I've been going to cons since I was 8, cosplaying since 2000, and I have never cosplayed in New York. And if I do I won't leave the hotel in costume.

Dolly_Entrails
01-24-2004, 12:04 AM
I hugged "naked cowboy" (anybody else hug him?)...and went to mcdonalds...thats it...

KaineMaxwell
01-24-2004, 01:39 PM
You hugged naked cowboy..joy.

If most you guys were at mcDonalds around early afternoon (I think?) might have seen me with my friends there.

Chiri
01-24-2004, 02:40 PM
I remember posing with Ronald McDonald cardboard cutout in my Chichiri costume, and having some dude take my picture like that. That was funny!

Oh, and I walked into a Friday's restaurant last year during BAAF in my Tasuki costume, and my friend was Kouji. I asked a waitress if there was any place I could put my fan and Kouji's giant spear so it wouldn't get stepped on or ruined or anything XD!!! The look on her face was priceless.

Needless to say I will never dye my hair uber-bright orange with yellow specks in it, and have it stand on end and foof out the way my Tasuki wig did....(I'll just stick to dying my regular hair blood red ^_^ Whee.)

Hotaru
02-02-2004, 02:36 AM
see, i've lived in NY forever, and it seems like fun to cosplay in the city cause i'd feel at home as opposed to Otakon, but they're very close, and we usually spend all our money at otakon. but if they get some good guests mebbe we can go for a day or somethin and NY1 will be there, and i'll be a reporter and i'll be so happy!

*wishes she could be NYer of the week*

lordinuyasha366
02-02-2004, 04:39 PM
BAAF most likly is going to happen www.bigappleanimefest.com says it has the place and all planed but im not sure any way i just hope

Flippy
02-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Honestly it depends on what costume it is...I'm goning to do it but I just have to figure out what costume it is.

Karayumi
03-23-2004, 07:17 AM

Oi! I saw that guy when I was walking around NYC too! Shortly after sayig stuff though he got pulled away by the cops.
I haven't dressed up for any cons yet, though what you guys have been saying has gotten me prepared to get on a bus dressed as Kurama :D I think it'll be fun to get some stares and funny/dirty looks