PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Japan

allyunion
02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

I'll be visiting Japan from March 15th to April 1st and I'd be interested in maybe meeting a few cosplayers to find out how its like in Japan. That and from the responses I got from the main forum on cosplaying in Japan... well, it's just giving me more reason not to pack my cosplay things. Primarily since I'll be traveling alone and cosplaying alone seems to be frown upon.

I still have a few more days of planning and such... I wouldn't have any room to pack props for certain and a wig like Hitsugaya would be almost impossible to take to Japan without immediately wearing it or taking it as a carry on. Being that I'll likely be backpacking a lot through the country, Hitsugaya isn't necessarily practical, though I'd love one day to bring it. In any case, this boils down to three cosplays: Myojin Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin, Koenma from Yu Yu Hakasho and Bak-chan from D.Gray-man. I would really like to bring one, but... again, it's beginning to seem too much trouble for its worth.

On a side note, what kind of traditional Japanese outfit does one wear for a flower viewing? (Would my Bleach costume be a little out of place with a white kimono top and a black hakama be out of place for flower viewing?)

Thanks for all your help!

kiratsukai
02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Cosplay isn't frowned upon at all, as long as you attend a cosplay event and change in and out of your costume at the venue.

TAF doesn't allow cosplay since it's primarily a formal business expo/show.

Generally people wear their street clothes for flower-viewing. If you wear a traditional outfit you'll seem extremely out-of-place, especially if it's reminiscent of cosplay. Chances are that no one would hassle you if you wore it, but my best advice would be to leave anything but your regular clothes unless you plan to attend a cosplay event (and to familiarize yourself with the rules beforehand).