PDA

View Full Version : Real Hair Showing Through Wig - HELP!

Hanyaan
09-02-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm going to be cosplaying again as Ruby Moon very soon but I have a problem. The wig, while it's not too thin, is lighter than my real hair so my real hair shows through a bit. Anybody have any advice? How much would a wig cap a) help and b) cost?

P.S. I'm using the "hair in ponytail plus lots and lots of gel" method.

Koumori
09-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Use a wig cap in addition to putting your hair up. You can make one out of a pair of tights or nylons in a color closely matching your wig for extra security.

Lisa Honeychan
09-03-2003, 04:23 AM
If you go to a wig-store, they are LESS than $2. Buy yourself a pair of support-top panyhose, and cut the legs off. Instant wig-cap. It works just as good!!

Space Invader
09-05-2003, 09:27 PM
I've also heard of a method of sewing in a panel of material (preferably stretchy) underneath the wig in the same or similar color as the wig fibers...

archangeli
09-05-2003, 09:52 PM
get a wig cap - for sure... or use pantyhose.

Chosuke
09-06-2003, 11:11 AM
I've never had the problem of my hair showing through <as all of my wigs have been thick enough or the same color as my hair>

But,I've also heard of people using swim caps beneath a wig.. colors to match whatever hair color the wig itself is.

Ruby-Chan
09-07-2003, 01:25 PM
i had this problem once and believe it or not my hair showed through the wig cap too. It was a blonde wig cap and I have dark brown hair. I used to piece of stretchy material method to hide it.

Michela
09-07-2003, 04:10 PM
For wigs, it is best to use a combination of a light wig cap and pinning hair up (for long hair, I would recommend putting it in two braids, tying them together with an elastic, and stuffing it underneath the wig cap.) Wig caps can be found at any wig store for three dollars or less, but if you don't find one in time, you could cut a pair of old nylons or use a hair net (though hair nets are very loose... though they help, it isn't the best.)

Hitomi chan
09-07-2003, 09:18 PM
I do not recomend to put your hair in a pony tail, the hair makes a bun that gets noticed in the wig and it looks like alien head :P . I've found that it works better if you make little braids depending on how much hair do you have (in my case, for example, I just need two braids) and just stock them above your head with pins like cinnamon rolls
Here is a picture to explain it better