PDA

View Full Version : I have no iron! How can I get my wig like this?

number18
09-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Well, if anyone that went to the anime boston clubhouse meeting, they'll know I bitched about not getting this wig I ordered in time for the con. I had to use a party store wig, which wasn't that bad at all. But I did get the ordered wig in the mail a couple weeks after the con, only to end up tossing it in my drawer.

Now that the possibility of me going to AnimeNEXT has risen considerably, I took the thing out of my drawer today and went to work "styling" the sucker. So far, I gave it the hot water treatment to get the fantastic curls out of thing and I cut a decent amount of the length off (or rather I should say that I've cut it to about the length it should be). I plan on doing the hot water treatment again once I get the length a little better, but...well, my problem is that I want the wig to be VERY straight. I was browsing cosplay sites one day and found a pic of an Italian cosplayer with a wig that was exactly the way I wanted mine. And I really don't know what she might have done to the wig to get it so straight looking. It looks like she put some sort of styling product in the thing...and it also looks like she took scissors and snipped straight up at the hairline (know what I mean?). Whenever my stupid cam wants to work, I'll post a pic of how the wig looks right now. But till then, I've only attached the pic of the Italian cosplayer and her wig.

Oh yeah. I don't have any sort of hair iron, cause I have had short hair for a long time. There's a hair dryer in the house, but I'm not feelin that. So any help on this whole thing would greatly appreciated. <3

HowlinMadMurphy
09-03-2003, 02:22 AM
Styling product won't alter the texture (curliness or straightness) of the wig unless you use a lot and secure it (via clips or pins) until it dries. And then, you won't be able to have it flow free or anything like that, as it will be hard (literally hard, not difficult ;).
It's common hair cutting and styling practice to cut vertically with scissors. Especially with a wig, this can create a razored looking piece-y texture. If you want it piecey and chunky, then do that (don't go overboard though) and use some styling product (I recommend putty/pomade type products, or hairspray if you want it to stay really well. Don't use gel.) . Don't use too much product though, because if it gets nasty you'll have to wash it and wait for it to dry to try and style it again (I hate waiting for wigs to dry O_O)
Also, if you want your wig to be real straight using the hot water method, then make sure that as it cools it's not resting on anything (causing it to curve). It might be a good idea to do it in sections so you can have each section hang free (and straight) as you rinse it.

number18
09-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Hm. I dunno if i really want it to be hard cause I'll be pushing the wig hair back behind one ear for the costume. I'm thinking perhaps I should try the hot water method, except I could continually, gently pull down on the hair as it's drying so it doesn't bounce back into the light curl it has now. I don't think I really have anything that I would wanna try and clip on the hair as a weight...that doesn't seem too cleve trying anyway. I've attached a pic of the wig this time. I think I'm also gonna cut vertically into cause I like that look. lol

HowlinMadMurphy
09-04-2003, 07:30 PM
One go with the hot water method should probably do it, it's barely wavy at all.

number18
09-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Excellent. I'll try it tomorrow after work hopefully and come back with the results. :D

libelle
09-05-2003, 02:33 PM
its a stupid recomendation, but maybe you could try to find who the girl is, searching in and out the net, and if you're lucky and find her, you can ask her. ive done that and luckily it worked...

another thing, also, try the net first, try searching in google for "straightening a wig" or "how to get a wig straight", you can also ask people at drlocks.net, amphigory.com or black-and-blue.net, they specialize is wigs and extensions and maybe they know how to manage wigs! ^o^

hope that helps! good luck!

~libelle

Hanyaan
09-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Oddly enough, I just had a problem where I had to get part of my wig absolutely perfectly straight. I'd tried hot water, I'd tried a curling iron (do NOT do that, it wrecks the wig), and I'd tried a blow dryer.

What eventually worked to make part of the wig as straight as I wanted it (and as you want yours) was a variation on the blow-dryer method. Here's a how-to for this, and I hope it works for you:

Requirements:
-Hairdryer with a pretty darn hot "hot" setting
-Wig
-Wig stand (foam head thing)
-Sewing pins

What you do is first you put the wig on your head and, starting in the front, separate out smallish (1-2 inch) sections. You grasp the bottom of the section in one hand and pull down as hard as you can without making the wig slide on your head or pulling out any wig hair. Then you use the other hand and run the blowdryer up and down the segment for about 15 to 30 seconds. Wait ten seconds, then release. Repeat as much as you can do in the front. Then you put the wig on the wig stand so that you can do the same to the back; the pins are to pin the wig on. (You could probably do without the wig stand for the back and just do it by feel, but it's a bit easier with a wig stand.) Repeat until you've got the whole wig straightened.

Not sure if that would work on your wig, but hey, it worked for me! ^_^

number18
09-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Hmm...interesting idea. I know to be cautious with the heat from the blow dryer, so I will try it if the hot water method and me gently tugging it down and straight while it dries doesn't work. When you tried this method, was the wig dry or wet?

Hanyaan
09-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Completely dry, actually. The trick to keep the wig from melting if you use the pull-and-hairdryer method is that you have to keep the hairdryer moving constantly. The only time you completely blast it is if you're trying to make bangs you cut yourself fall in the right place.

number18
09-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Excellent. I shall definitely try this if my 2nd attempt with hot water doesn't work. Excelsior!!

megumibish
09-06-2003, 07:23 PM
ah yeah i've done the blow dry method for a wig i curled. i didn't like the curls so i straightened the hair with a plastic bristle brush and a blowdryer. it worked very well. all the bristles make for good tension. just make sure to heat the hair until it's warm to the touch. it's better to have to do it over than to over do it.

Chosuke
09-06-2003, 07:52 PM
And also, if you want SUPREME hold <as in never come out and stay that way forever> use blowdrier treatment, but spray everything down with a good amount of hairspray.

Trust me,It does NOT kill your wig and it STAYS.
The Baralai wig we did for Baralai was done using that method,and it WILL NOT COME DOWN.
We tried bashing it about to rid it off the wave.. so we could use it for a quick Dilandau..but it stayed man..oo;... Refused to move..even when we 'washed' the haispray out.

Mind you,it wasn't crusty either. It was just hair..that kept bouncing back into place..oo;

number18
09-06-2003, 08:06 PM
And also, if you want SUPREME hold <as in never come out and stay that way forever> use blowdrier treatment, but spray everything down with a good amount of hairspray.

Mind you,it wasn't crusty either. It was just hair..that kept bouncing back into place..oo;

So if I do it that way, should I spray it before the blowdrying or after? Or during? And do you have pics of this wig? :D

Chosuke
09-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Before.And during.

Look in my gallery and you can see my pic of the Baralai wig.

But basically.. its 'Spray;dry'spray;dry'

Lunaya
09-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Katiebar has a method: you add water and let dry ^__^ maybe you should check out her site :P

number18
09-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Hmm. The other day I finally went and did the hot water treatment to my wig again and then let it dry. It hasn't really done anything to change it that much, though I still have to cut off about an inch more of the length. I guess I'll be trying the blow dryer treatment soon! Wish me luck!

megumibish
09-17-2003, 08:26 PM
You know as I was checking out some sites on how to make your own wigs...I found out that they use hand held steamers to style wigs. Ideal in my opinion. Conair sells them here http://lowprice4u.com/shoppingcart/ProductTemplate.ASP?ProductTemplateID=18769 for cheap. Otherwise your looking at spending 60 bucks for the ones they sell elsewhere. I imagine this would be great for curling/straightening wigs.
oh and good luck number 18...just blowdry it on high for 10 sec intervals...and let it cool til you get the desired effect. best to use your hand to check the temp so you don't go overboard. that's how i did mine.

number18
09-21-2003, 05:53 PM
=sigh=

Well, I ended up cutting it tonight and all was going well. I had pinned the damn thing to the wig head and it was sitting steady...I had a good sharp pair of scissors...

...and somehow, I ended up making the fucking thing uneven and WAY too short on one side. Like, I could cut it that short on the other side, but then the wig for the character would be too short. I'm really annoyed I managed to do this somehow. It looked FINE on the wig head, but the minute I put it on I was like Oh. No. I have no clue how I ended up doing it, either. I was quite sure I had been cutting evenly, but apparently not. When I put it back on the wig head, it's so obviously uneven, I dunno how I could have thought I wasn't messing it up as I was cutting it.

Plus, sooooooo much of my natural hair is showing, I'm not so sure I can really cover that up with concealer or something. But I'll try it. :/

Anyway, pics of the poor wig now are up on my live journal, which is here:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/number18

HowlinMadMurphy
09-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Katiebar has a method: you add water and let dry ^__^ maybe you should check out her site :P

...That's the hot water treatment we discussed.

Also, I checked out the pictures on your lj and the wig looks great! It looks like your hair is pretty loose there, so try gelling and pinning it back real tight so not so much is showing. Then you can try and use hair mascara, or you can actually bleach just that chunk with an at-home kit and then dye it back when you're done. If you went with the latter, the wig would look real :D

number18
09-24-2003, 08:47 AM
I'm glad you think it looks good. Really though, it looks terrible from a profile shot. I wanted it to be militantly straight and even, which I wasn't expecting, but I at least wanted it to be fairly even and straight, like her hair really is. But it's not. However, I'm gonna trim the sucker anyway cause I can only go shorter to fix the mistake. Megumibish mentioned in my LJ that I could buy a few wefts of hair to sew into the thing to fix the length, but I'd still have the short layers sitting on top and it seems like it would look layered - something I don't want.

ANYWAY, besides the wig, yeah, I'm gonna hit up a beauty store to see what I can get and try. Bleaching my hair is so tempting and so easy...but .....errrrrrgh no!

This enourmous Halloween store just opened up in my area. So much cheapo cosplay opportunity...I hope they have a wig cap, cause Sally's doesn't seem to have one. :/

Jinx
09-29-2003, 09:23 PM
I posted something about straightening wigs with heating tools.. no one really cared to read it, I guess. ^-^;;

I had some sucess with a blowdryer and with a vertical steam iron... but what worked the best was a curling iron. The trick is not to clamp down on the hair, but to leave enough room between the barrel and the topclamp for the hair to move through freely, and as the hair passes through that sace, angle your iron so that the hair comes out of it at a right angle, or close to. I did take it in very very small sections, and it took me nearly four hours to do.. that is, not counting the hot water method and other methods. You can see the wig (long purple thing) in completed (for my yuri costume) and in-progress galleries.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did use a temp-control iron ^-^; and it was set at the lowest setting.

number18
09-29-2003, 09:55 PM
Wow that looks remarkable considering the curls in that wig. 0,0!

The other day I went to go try a blow dryer treatment and found that my roomate's girlfriend had taken her blow dryer home! NO!!!

Yargh. AnimeNEXT is this weekend. I am such a procrastinator.

Michi
10-01-2003, 06:55 AM
Kay.. Ani-Magic is in two days.. and my wig (which looked pretty darn straight in the website's picture when I ordered it) curls up at the ends near my ears.. 60s style, y'know? How can I straighten them out quickly? ^_^; I only have Wednesday (later today/tomorow) and possibly Thursday..

http://store.yahoo.com/wowwigs/cindy1.html This is the wig I got
http://store.yahoo.com/wowwigs/eve1.html but it's curling kinda like this. ^^;

number18
10-01-2003, 12:21 PM
I would say try that blow dryer method OR, use the hot water method and spend some time constantly pulling down that little curl area at the bottom to try and get it straight. Or maybe use the blow dryer method to pull that little part. :/