PDA

View Full Version : Command & Conquer Cosplay

A. Saboteur
02-28-2010, 03:44 PM
So, here's the deal. I'm a pretty big fan of the Command & Conquer games, and I am - for various reasons - working on a costume inspired by the uniforms of the Brotherhood of Nod.

Specifically, those worn by their Engineers. (If I had the time, energy, and money, I might try my hand at working up one based on their Tiberium Wars counterparts, the Saboteurs - one of which can be seen in my avatar. But I digress.)

As I don't really have the time, energy, or money at this time for constructing something from the ground up specifically for a costume, I've decided to work mainly in what might be charitably called a utilitarian style - i.e., in the end, I want to be able to take the components of the outfit, mix them up with everyday clothes, and - for the most part - not have John Q. Public give me a "What the hell is THAT?!" look.

So, here's what I've got thus far, along with certain planned upgrades/augmentations:

Clothing

Engineer's cap (black)
-Planned upgrade: Firepower PASGT-style airsoft helmet (black)
-Planned augments: Brotherhood of Nod sigils (helmet: both sides, cap: front)

Black denim "mess" jacket (mesh patches on the sleeves and shoulders, cotton webbing straps from shoulder to mid-chest)
-Planned upgrade: M-65 field jacket
-Planned augments: Brotherhood of Nod sigils (mess jacket only)

Gray cotton T-shirt with Nod sigil painted on the front (custom made at I-Con a few years back - I want to say I-Con 25 or 26)
-Planned augments: Black cotton BDU shirt(s) to go over said shirt

Black jeans
-Planned upgrade: Black poly/cotton BDU pants

Brahma SWAT boots (black)

Protective Gear

Glendale Protective Technologies F950 dust/vapor respirator (covers nose and mouth)

NoNameCloneCorp* half-face ski goggles (red frames, orange-red lens)

-Planned upgrade: Full-face gasmask
-Planned augments: Repaint filter canisters and strap mount on the F950, possibly replace adjustable elastic straps with adjustable cotton or nylon webbing straps.

Other Gear

Black toolbox
-Planned augment: Nod sigils on the sides (and possibly the front as well)

Mini Maglite with holster

Multipurpose tool with holster

Camera (in red-and-black belt-mount case, sanitized**)

Things I'm Considering

Acquiring a decent-sized quartz crystal, some liquid latex, casting resin, and transparent green pigment for said resin to make Tiberium crystals. (Alternatively, finding some kind of transparent green colorant to coat the quartz crystal with, and then shellacking it.)

Acquiring some kind of PDA-looking device and devising a wrist/arm mount for it. (Wearable microcomputer prop.)

So. Any thoughts/comments/questions/suggestions/etc?

Footnotes
* - No, NoNameCloneCorp doesn't exist. I just can't remember what company made the ski goggles.

** - In this context, sanitizing refers to the practice of removing and/or covering up any identifying marks (e.g., labels, logos) that may be on the item in question.

daishotachi
03-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I've been steadily working on a costume (I haven't finished it yet). I've got: a black BDU top, combat boots, a black beret, and black BDU pants. I'm tempted to get a gas mask (full) and I don't know where to find Nod emblems.

A. Saboteur
03-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I've done a little research on the gasmask front (especially as I plan to replace the ski-google/respirator combo with something a little less clunky), and I came across this little gem:

The MSA Advantage 3200 (http://www.professionalequipment.com/msa-advantage-3200-full-face-respirator-with-advantage-harness-large-10031341/respirator-masks/)

With some red window-tint film (note to self: poke around the local auto-parts stores to see if they have/can acquire it), it should make an excellent facemask for the forces of the Brotherhood!

CasandraKiske
03-06-2010, 03:44 AM
I just wanted to say that you're awesome. This brings back fond memories of watching my older bro play Tiberian Sun on his pc. :D

A. Saboteur
03-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I just wanted to say that you're awesome. This brings back fond memories of watching my older bro play Tiberian Sun on his pc. :D

Glad we brought back some awesome memories for ya! :D