PDA

View Full Version : An-Magic 03 Room Rates

AM Chair
10-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Hello Everyone,
Just got back from the AVI today, and I have here the room rates for next year. Before you ask me about it, they told me the hotel took a big hit on those Best Western mandated Breakfast Buffet coupons.

1-2 people single: $75.00

3 people double room: $87.50

4 people double room: $100.00

You still get breakfast, and I have to admit that these rates are fair considering what the Fanime and AX hotels charge you and your on your own for breakfast. Splitting these costs with a roomie will maintain your budget though.

Revell

JoeBoeing
10-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info Revell.

I have my room reserved!

See ya there next year.

FRom,
Joe Boeing

Dragoon Knight
10-11-2002, 05:05 PM
EEEEK...ok I got the more expensive end of the new rates, but hey whatever...its cool see ya next year ^^;

hichan
10-12-2002, 04:05 AM
O_O expensive... *dies*

i hope i have enough money by october @_@ *so many cons to go to next year*

AM Chair
10-12-2002, 09:53 AM
Now, here's something to think about: would you support a move to a different hotel? Take a look at this place:
http://www.bigpages.com/essexhouse/home.asp

It has advantages (a HUGE ballroom and $78.00 rate) and a few disadvantages (less venue rooms) , but if the price of rooms creep up again, this place is a distinct possiblity. Tristen and Lisa had a look early this year, and they were floored. Atmosphere almost like AVI, but a bit more upscale. Let me know what you think,ne?

At the very least, we'll block rooms there for those who drive.

Revell

Adella
10-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Hey Revell I am the laziest mofo on the planet! What would a room with a king bed be costing?

I don't want to move ;_; the best western is such a perfect place...

Wandering Otaku
10-12-2002, 04:18 PM
Wai! Thats a bit of a hike. Well, the AVI has a great atmosphere for a smaller con. The price has not been raised all too much, but I agree if the price hikes more, we probably should change the place this is at. As a convention grows it will need more space, and Ani-Magic is showing more signs of growing all the time.
Just as long as there are yummy areas of relaxation, this otaku will be happy. ^_^x Nyo!

Hakaider
10-13-2002, 12:42 AM
I think the Park Plaza is an excellent idea.

It may be much better suited to house the growing numbers of people for the Masquerade and the dealer's hall due to it's bigger space. ( Plus the cosplayers don't have to worry about walking or waiting in the grass during the Masquerade.)

If the hotel room prices is going to be only a difference of three dollars per day, ($75.00 V.S. $78.00) it would be more advantageous to move to the bigger hotel in the long run.

The Park Plaza hotel has complimentary free breakfast buffett( M-F), a Business Center with 2 PC's/laser printer/copier and high speed Internet access, (complimentary to hotel guests) , an Avis Rent A Car section, complimentary morning newspaper and evening cookies to hotel guests.

The AVI's bext feature was it's hotel price, but if they are going to raise their hotel price close to what the Park Plaza is charging, it may be more prudent to move, business wise. For three dollars more per day, the Park Plaza can offer a BIGGER bang for the buck. (It has a Convention Center, and not a smaller conference center.)

Perhaps the AVI may consider lowering their prices considerably once they learn that AniMagic is considering a move to Park Plaza and be a bit more competitive with the prices.

AniMagic is a rapidly growing con and it took three hotels to house the attendees. The Park Plaza may be better suited to house the growing number of attendees.

Historically speaking, many anime cons do grow rapidly and many would be forced to move their cons from their original host hotel due to the increase in numbers. In short, while the AVI is perfect for AniMagic's current and past needs, AniMagic will eventually have to move due to it's rapidly growing numbers. (AniMagic can't use the AVI forever.)

Revell:

If the AVI won't budge with their price increases during negotiations and wants to increase their room rates, is there any chance that the Park Plaza can be considered for next year?

hichan
10-13-2002, 01:27 AM
woo wooo... Park Plaza looks nice ^.^

Aya Mizu
10-13-2002, 01:44 AM
Very very nice! I would definitely support going to the Park Plaza too ^_^

AM Chair
10-13-2002, 08:41 AM
Hakaider: I'll take a walk over there and revive our negotiations. Last time went there last summer, They wanted all costs up front. The banquet dept went back to the owner for a rethink, but I didn't go back after we worked things out with the AVI.

Our success (thanks to you all!) makes funding the hotel issue a whole new ball game. I'll see what the results of that re-think was.

The Park plaza has bigger lodging rooms, and the programming would only be lightly effected (we cut video viewing from three to two rooms). Depending on the ballroom arrangement, we could have dealers on one side of the hall and our first indoor cosplay with a sturdy stage on the other. Or use the entire ball room for dealers and put the masq in the parking lot.

There's 3000sq feet of foyer to have artist alley out side the inner ballroom, and have an abundant amount of suites to put not only our guests, but you all as well.

Hichan, Aya: Thanks for the indorsement! Aie-in!!

I was told $78.00 for ALL rooms except the suites, and they were like $89.00 or so. These rooms are huge too!

This place is so cool, I worry about the con goers trashing the place (lot of soda cups and cans left on the AVI lawns), but we'll have logistics deal with that I guess.

Your continued input is welcome. The only thing that kept us in the AVI up til now was price of the rooms. If that's changing, this place is worth a second look.

Revell

The thought just occurs that this hotel is a short walk to the boulevard for the Performing Arts Center and its juicy stage.... if we could get that nailed down, what a cosplay that would be!

Karisu-sama
10-13-2002, 08:49 AM
AT $89, *I'd* get a suite. AVI/conf. center is pretty, but it does have a shortage of big function space...

Dragoon Knight
10-13-2002, 01:31 PM
OK I'm confused now...so does this mean that those who already booked a room cause we "think" AM2003 was goin to still be at the AVI are goin to have to change over to the Park Plaza (which is a nicer hotel and bigger) and AM2003 is goin to be hosted there now? O.o Or will it still be at the AVI?

Kenshin Ken
10-13-2002, 03:40 PM
mehtinks I'm gonna have to hold off reservatiosn till next year...^^;; park plaza to the best western...^^;; I'm gonna miss going to the 7-11 in costume ^^;

Hakaider
10-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Dragoon Knight:

I'm sure once the negotiations clear through, we'll know which hotel Animagic is going to be held next year.

If Animagic doesn't return to the AVI next year, you can always cancel your reservation at the AVI and make a new reservation at the Park Plaza instead.

The best thing to do is to sit tight, and keep your reservation at the AVI for now. If I recall what the AVI told me, you will be able to cancel your reservation at the AVI at no charge, as long as it's made within 48 hours before your anticipated arrival.

Once the final word has been passed down about which hotel Animagic is returning to, you can either always cancel the AVI, if AniMagic is going to the Park Plaza, or keep your reservation if AniMagic is returning to the AVI.

Hakaider
10-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Revell:

If the Performing Arts Center can be nailed, it would be definitely be a sight to see!

For three dollars more per night at the Park Plaza, it would be a great deal for a bigger and nicer hotel room, bigger stage and space for the Masquerade, and a bigger dealer's room. ( It's practically a steal at that price!)

The Park Plaza is looking better and better.:)

Dragoon Knight
10-13-2002, 04:17 PM
yesh I know..but I got a good spot this time at the AVI...oh well...

AM Chair
10-14-2002, 02:28 AM
We just had our post-con meeting tonight, and for this year, we will continue with the AVI. We are still going to take a look at Park Plaza for 04, but the price we pay for this shindig is still relatively reasonable there at the AVI. Yes, they smell a cash cow with us, but we kind of expected that...........

Revell

hichan
10-14-2002, 02:47 AM
*nods*

04 *___* i can't wait for Park Plaza

Dragoon Knight
10-14-2002, 03:05 AM
yeah Park Plaza sound good for 2004

Mandy Mitchell
10-23-2002, 10:55 PM
Park Plaza is such a gorgeous hotel! I'm wouldn't mind going there!

Plus it could accomodate more attendees since the AVI was completely booked weeks before AM.

Master Zero
10-24-2002, 12:21 AM
Where is this Park Plaza you speakth off?