PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Game show 2010

aoisakura
03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Early, I know, but wondering if anyone was going this year in cosplay! I will be with my fiance as FFXIII charas :)

kiratsukai
03-02-2010, 04:51 PM
We may also attend as FFXIII characters (Hope, Sahz and Vanille) ~ though a great deal depends on the time crunch and whether we can get the time off ^^;;

aoisakura
03-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Oh that would be great, as we are going as Serah and Snow :)

kiratsukai
03-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Well stay in touch and if it looks promising closer to the date, we can swap info/details.

It's always fun to have a group. And with all of the FFXIII bound to be all over that event ~ numbers might help us get noticed :)

shortsheik
03-05-2010, 07:30 AM
It also depends on my doing a shitload of crunches to pull off Vanille's costume. :P

Groups are highly awesome however. (Do we get props for having an actual black guy as Sahz?)

aoisakura
03-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Mmm, last time I did a group in TGS it was really nice, I'd love to do another one =D

kiratsukai
04-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Just an update ~ This is indeed happening.

We're all in the process of commissioning or beginning construction :)

Vanille, Sahz and Hope are go :)

aoisakura
04-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Great! I'm going to start my commish soon too =D

kiratsukai
04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Great! I'm going to start my commish soon too =D

If you haven't started yet ~ coseyes has very reasonable prices on the FF gear they offer ~ http://coseyes.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=830_1304 They have a Sera and a Snow. Might be worth a look.

Our Vanille is shopping there :) Though we're going to alter/make a few pieces when we get it. The price is still right ^^

Jaseroque
04-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Have you ordered from them before? I quite like the look of their Lightning, but I can't help but feel a bit cautious!

kiratsukai
04-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Have you ordered from them before? I quite like the look of their Lightning, but I can't help but feel a bit cautious!

Shortsheik has used them for a Ayanami Rei costume. The fabric quality was decent, the costume was as-photographed and it fit like a charm. The only down-side I suppose is that it takes awhile (Chinese factory) and that the website/furikomi process is a bit confusing. They require some odd additional emails to confirm information, only give you bank furikomi information on initial order confirmation (so write it down then!) and have sizing choices in odd places on their order forms.

I have two orders of my own processing with them now. So I can give you more information when those arrive.

If you're thinking of Lightning... how about joining us? :)

Jaseroque
04-24-2010, 07:40 AM
You don't have a Lightning yet? If you report back favorably about your costume construction, I might buy one and join you! That would be really cool. I don't suppose you know if you can pay by credit card (Japanese credit card, that is) rather than furikomi? Furikomi scares me...

kiratsukai
04-24-2010, 06:17 PM
You don't have a Lightning yet? If you report back favorably about your costume construction, I might buy one and join you! That would be really cool. I don't suppose you know if you can pay by credit card (Japanese credit card, that is) rather than furikomi? Furikomi scares me...

We're short Lightning, Fang and a host of minor characters/summons :)

Lightning's rather important, right?

We'd love to have one!

Will let you know how the costumes turn out for us. Still plenty of time to order pre-made. Though I think furikomi is the only method of payment. They ~might~ have COD (I don't remember). If you're having trouble with furikomi, I can help you out though.

Other lightning options:

http://brilliant-cos.ocnk.net/product/505 (have never ordered here)
http://cosplus.ocnk.net/product/814 (have never ordered here)
http://www.trymax1.com/product/1072 (have never ordered here)

Some may accept credit cards.

Michi
04-27-2010, 03:16 PM
It's very likely I'll get to attend Tokyo Game Show again this year. Last time was in 2007!

I was planning on doing King of Fighters and IDOLM@STER cosplay (like.. I did in 2007.. haha). But this FF13 group is kinda tempting you guys, haha.

kiratsukai
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
It's very likely I'll get to attend Tokyo Game Show again this year. Last time was in 2007!

I was planning on doing King of Fighters and IDOLM@STER cosplay (like.. I did in 2007.. haha). But this FF13 group is kinda tempting you guys, haha.

You're welcome to join, of course. But whatever you end up doing, please come and hang out a bit ^^/

kiratsukai
05-12-2010, 09:02 AM
For Jaseroque: You asked for an update on how the coseyes transaction went over ~
http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=3444111&postcount=1586

I'm pretty pleased with what I got for what I paid :) But anything you buy there will have some alterations to make/work to do to make a bit more accurate.

More or less a "what you see is what you get" deal.

CelestialShadow
05-24-2010, 03:22 AM
I`ll be going as Sol Badguy from guilty gear and Maybe A devil May cry Character but it depends on if i can get a cosplay partner or get my husband to cosplay with me =P

kiratsukai
05-31-2010, 03:50 AM
Dates announced for Game Show (added them to the meet ups list)

http://tgs.cesa.or.jp/
Public days are Sat/Sun September 18-19

kiratsukai
07-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Hey guys ~ time to start touching base for TGS.

My parents are visiting Japan and are adjusting their plane tickets specifically so they can attend Game Show and see me cosplay ^^;; They'll only be at the event for a few hours but I'd like to tell them the right day to attend.

Is the FF group going to happen on the 17th or 18th?

unlock
07-25-2010, 05:24 PM
I'll be going to the Tokyo game show if you need a Fang? Haha, man. Haven't cosplay a girl in awhile. :'}

Michi
07-25-2010, 08:14 PM
How is the FF13 group going, by the way? I am still kinda interested. I also can now CONFIRM 100% that I'll be going to TGS this year. Buying my tickets out to Japan hopefully by next week. :)

kiratsukai
07-25-2010, 11:04 PM
How is the FF13 group going, by the way? I am still kinda interested. I also can now CONFIRM 100% that I'll be going to TGS this year. Buying my tickets out to Japan hopefully by next week. :)

I'm only in contact with Vanille and Sahz. We're all still planning on the group. Haven't heard a peep from Lightning, Sera or Snow in awhile though. Was hoping they'd check in sometime soon :)

And yes, as far as I know, we're still Fangless.

Michi
07-26-2010, 01:17 AM
It is tempting to volunteer myself as a backup Lightning!

kiratsukai
07-26-2010, 01:18 AM
It is tempting to volunteer myself as a backup Lightning!

Backup, my butt :) As far as I'm concerned ~ new characters are awesome for the sake of completeness/photo ops but doubles are totally welcome. Who ever complains about having MORE people available to take photos with? :P

shortsheik
07-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Hey unlock - Fang is the manliest character in that series, and it would rock if you're willing to come as her!

Though that's just more motivation for me to get off my butt and get this Vanille costume fixed. Boots! My kingdom for proper boots!

Michi
07-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Backup, my butt :) As far as I'm concerned ~ new characters are awesome for the sake of completeness/photo ops but doubles are totally welcome. Who ever complains about having MORE people available to take photos with? :P

Well my thing is that... I like the idea of complete groups, and as much as I like Lightning she isn't a character I'd just go do on my own. I'd do it for a group. Haha. And then I'd sell it!

kiratsukai
07-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Well my thing is that... I like the idea of complete groups, and as much as I like Lightning she isn't a character I'd just go do on my own. I'd do it for a group. Haha. And then I'd sell it!

^^ Well, we'd love to have you anyway. Our Lightning is MIA. It would add some more certainty if nothing else :) In the event you do double-up, that just means both of you can sneak off to shop or take photos without destroying the cohesion and can do mirror-shots ^^

Though if you want to be SURE not to double up, any of the NORA members would also be fun :)

CelestialShadow
08-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I think I am going to change my cosplay for this event, I really want to go as A final fantasy character but i am having trouble deciding, i am going to TGS no matter what though. Personally I want to go as either Minerva from Crisis core or Tina Branford (esper version) from Dissidia. Thoughts anyone?

Jaseroque
08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh, was I still the original Lightning? Because if I was, it's looking like I might have to pull out anyway (I went home for a week and it's thrown all my cosplay plans waaay outta whack) so it would be awesome if you had another Lightning. ^_^

Oh, and generally it's better to do FF cosplay on the Sunday, because that's normally when Kaname brings out his Cloud cosplay, and all the FF cosplayers come to hang out with him. Can't be sure it's going to happen again this year, but it seems likely.

kiratsukai
08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Welp ~ looks like we need a Lightning.

Michi
08-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I wonder where I could get a cheap Lightning costume or maybe borrow one... XD;

Oh, and generally it's better to do FF cosplay on the Sunday, because that's normally when Kaname brings out his Cloud cosplay, and all the FF cosplayers come to hang out with him. Can't be sure it's going to happen again this year, but it seems likely.

Ahaha, oh really? I'd like to see him again. I was at a group dinner with him at AX 2009 and he was really nice. I forget that he's so popular!

Jaseroque
08-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Kaname-san is super awesome cool and it always cracks me up to see his fans coming up to him looking like he's a popstar or something, because I met him without knowing he was actually, legitimately famous, so it still surprises me. We should all hang out with Kaname-san, it would be awesome. ^_^

kiratsukai
08-05-2010, 02:26 AM
What's TGS's prop policy? I can't remember for the life of me, but I seem to recall an Alice with an oversized bible prop and people with a few plush toys... but that's about it. Ought I be getting up to a boomerang or not waste my time?

Michi
08-05-2010, 05:31 PM
The site says props need to be no longer than 50 cm (a little under 20 inches).

I was considering a Dragon Quest costume with a sword, but it's a sword that's always sheathed in the belt so it probably won't even be a real sword. It'll just be part of my costume itself, haha.

kiratsukai
08-05-2010, 07:36 PM
If you're going to order a costume that isn't in stock, strongly recommend doing it now. Nearly all of the vendors take a month to make the costume and the ones in China can take up to an additional week to ship.

Lightning Costume Options:

Most impressive/complete ~ http://www.cosrevo.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=614

It's a small fortune, but CosRevo is spot on and worth every yenny. If you get a costume there ~ you will need to fix/remake nothing.

Trymax ~ Chinese. Beware their significant hidden shipping fees (an extra 2,000 yen )http://www.trymax1.com/product/1072

coseyes ~ Chinese. I like coseyes ^^ They're never ~quite~ right next to the references, but the price is great and what you do get is what you've seen.
http://www.coseyes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=830_1304&products_id=4291

As for our progress:

-Sahz has a costume
(needs boots and to do something with his hair/face)

-Vanille has a costume
(needs to assemble the mess of beads and trinkets and scraps of fabric that constitute said costume, needs a wig)

-Hope has two costumes (commissioning problems and... blargh...)
(needs a wig, shoes)

Roxette
08-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Hi everyone,

Im from Australia and going to Tokyo Game Show with my brother this year, were very excited! I just have a couple of questions, (need some inside insight) so I hope you don't mind me asking.

I'm wondering how much time you usually need for Tokyo Game Show?

I want to go to Harajuku that weekend too and I'm wondering what time on Sunday is best to go there? Do you think there will be many cosplayers around there on the Sunday if Tokyo game show is on? Im not sure whether to try and fit both things in on the Sun or just do Tokyo Game Show Saturday.

The Final Fantasy group & costumes sound great btw :)

Thanks, :)

Roxette

Jaseroque
08-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Honestly I've never managed to run into any cosplayers in Harajuku yet (though that's probably shoddy timing as much as anything) but I'd anticipate that all the serious cosplayers will be at TGS so if you're only going to Harajuku for the cosplay, TGS would definitely be the better idea. Probably still be lots of Lolitas around though.

As for how much time you need at the game show, that depends a lot on what kinds of things you want to do there. If you want to get into more than one closed demo or theatre you're probably going to need both days, but if you're more interested in just walking around checking things out and the open demos, then one day will probably suffice, though there's always plenty of stuff to do on both days, especially if you're interested in the cosplay.

kiratsukai
08-08-2010, 12:43 AM
I want to go to Harajuku that weekend too and I'm wondering what time on Sunday is best to go there? Do you think there will be many cosplayers around there on the Sunday

Harajuku's reputation for cosplay is likely based on out-of-date information. 5 years ago Meiji Jingu Mae was full of visual rock cosplayers every Sunday. But since then Visual Rock has died down quite a lot, especially in Tokyo. Cosplay has since developed some ettiquette rules that clash with the idea of public cosplay in any context. Crazy fashion and lolitas are still a dime a dozen, but you won't see much "cosplay". Even in Harajuku's VK-heyday, I never saw an anime/manga or game costume.

Nowadays if you want to see Visual Kei cosplayers ~ it's best to go to a specific band's concert. People still cosplay before, during and after the shows. Both outside and inside the venue.

As for anime, manga, games... you need to go to an event.

TGS is a good choice. It's not very crowded compared to some of the others and the requirements for entry are simple to nagivate. English-language support, signage and information are all common. If you come after 11 there's no wait for much of anything and you'll probably be able to tour the hall in 2 or 3 hours collecting free stuff and snapping cosplayers. You'll only need more time than that if you're going to stand in line for some of the more popular demos or get really into games or photography.

Roxette
08-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all the info Jaseroque and Kiratsukai. :)

Michi
08-16-2010, 12:37 AM
I would love to be Lightning but I just don't have the resources/time/money for getting the costume. :/ I'm still looking forward to seeing your group, though!

kiratsukai
08-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Laaaame ~ :P

So our FFXIII group is now down to three... and two of our costumes are a mess. ARGH! Will no one save us?!

What happened to Sera and Snow?

Maybe we should just call this a generic ~every final fantasy ever~ group and hope that our sheer foreignness will outweigh our lack of cohesion :)

Michi
08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Haha sorry, buying costumes isn't my thing and I just can't justify nearly $100 on a costume I'd wear once and attempt to resell! Especially when this time I won't be living in Japan and attending TGS, but just visiting and TGS happens to be during that time. :x It was a fun idea.

CelestialShadow
08-17-2010, 02:26 AM
it seems everyone`s plans are falling apart costume wise =/

Well hubby and i are still go for FF7 Crisis core, if its too hot though still in september A-Chan (my husband) wont be wearing his genesis costume and i will just go in my minerva. I`ve got one more person joining us, she is a japanese cosplayer who will be going as ff6 celes and her 5 year old son will be coming as a dragon quest brave. =P

Michi
08-17-2010, 06:06 PM
My original plans are still happening. XD I will definitely have an Idolm@ster costume there of some sort. Still figuring out what my 2nd costume will be.

kiratsukai
08-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Interesting info from Cosgroove:

It seems cosgroove is pushing foreign cosplayer attendance hardcore.

What's in it for us ~

-Business days ~may~ be open. This offer may have been withdrawn (see cosgroove's updated page)
-Early entrance. Cosplayers get into the hall 1-2 hours earlier than the general public. They want us in costume when people arrive.
-A free dance party after hours on the 18th
-"Cosplay Super Star from overseas" awards from guest judges, handed out only to foreign attendees (seems unfair... but hell, take what you can get!)
-Professional photo sessions through COSMODE magazine ~ potential magazine spots
-interpretors in English, Chinese and Korean will be available for those who need them

To enjoy the perks you must sign up in advance through cosgroove's website! Don't forget!

http://www.cosgroove.com/page_02.html

I've emailed Yoshimoto-san to find this mysterious form of hidden-ness. When he gets back to me, I'll get back to you guys ^^

Michi
08-19-2010, 10:21 PM
WHAT. That's so cool. Maybe I'll finally play one of those demos with the super long lines if I can be there on a business day! :D

CelestialShadow
08-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Sounds too good to be true! I looked at the website but there doesnt seem to be a place to sign up or I am just not seeing it =(

Kira, are you going to sign up?

I sent an email to the guy as well,...hmmm hope he gets back to us.

On a cosplay note...do you have to wear video game related cosplay??????

granted it is TOKYO GAME SHOW...just wondering, whats everyones opinion of this?????

kiratsukai
08-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Kira, are you going to sign up?

I sent an email to the guy as well,...hmmm hope he gets back to us.

On a cosplay note...do you have to wear video game related cosplay??????

1) Hells yes. If they'll really give us all that stuff, I'll sign my soul away :)

2) I e-mailed him, too. He seemed pretty approachable at Comiket, so I suspect he'll get back to us.

3) I actually think it is limited to major-party games. I've gone twice and remember pretty much everyone being from mainstream games. Since it's a game expo, not primarily a cosplay event ~ it would seem bad form not to choose a game character. Though some costumes can be tied to games tangentally ~ most of the Gundam, Naruto, Bleach, etc. type series' have had game incarnations; VOCALOID has Project DIVA; quite a few PC games have had major-party console releases (Xbox or PS2).

I was going through my own closet figuring out if I even HAD 3 or 4 costumes that fit the bill... but I'm not sure if some of my own options will even fly.

Maybe we should ask directly (assuming they get back to us).

What I have:
-Hope (definately okay!)
-Konoe (BL PC game with a PS2 release...ok????)
-Flandre (doujinshi only game... no major release software that I know of... probably not ok...??)
-Len's default costume (Project DIVA has two recent, high profile PC games and SEGA is behind them... I imagine this one's okay... though the costume I'd be wearing is from the software for PC ~ not the PSP version ~ negligable differences... but the sleeve panels are a big give-away. Probably okay?)

Jaseroque
08-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Ooh. Shiny. Keep us up to date! (Can't come on the Thursday or Friday though, boooooo.)

kiratsukai
08-20-2010, 03:26 AM
As for Final Fantasy XIII ~ looks like a Lightning has RSVPed for both days ~ thinking of getting brave and, whenever we decide which day we're going, asking them to meet up for a little while for some photos.

CelestialShadow
08-20-2010, 04:03 AM
hmmmm well assuming he gets back to us, I have sol badguy ready, Yazoo from advent children and Minerva which I am working on now...if he doesnt get back to us then I dont need to worry =P I`ll just wear minerva.

Michi
08-20-2010, 04:30 AM
I would recommend sticking to video game cosplay, Cosgroove event or not, at TGS. I don't remember seeing any anime specific cosplay when I was there in 2007 and it would've stood out. :/ I wouldn't want to be the guy that's like "But there's a Naruto fighting game!" in his Sasuke outfit, you know? Maybe it's just me.

Jaseroque
08-20-2010, 10:51 AM
There's always a few anime-specific cosplayers floating around every year (I saw a Sheryl last year, plus some others I can't remember off the top of my head) but the emphasis is definitely on video games. That being said, I'm gunning to have my Android 18 done for TGS and I think that should be okay.

Michi
08-20-2010, 05:30 PM
I went back and looked at my photos from '07 and yeah, I took pics of Haruhi Suzumiya cosplayers. Haha. But they were pushing some Haruhi games that year so it didn't really seem that out of place!

I guess Naruto is a bad example because there ARE high quality fighting games made of it every year. A better example would be like, Lupin. Hahaha.

kiratsukai
08-21-2010, 03:55 AM
"Thanks for your support. I'm Yoshimoto from cosgroove.

Thanks for checking in! Comiket was really hot, so really `otsukaresama deshita`!

I'm very sorry but we're still in the process of creating a way to sign up. Please hang on just a little longer.

I'll contact you when the method becomes available.

I hope to see you again at Tokyo Game Show 2010 and at CosPlay@TGS2010. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!"

(translated poorly from Japanese)

It seems sign-up will have to wait just a bit :)

Jaseroque
08-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Yeah, there's certainly not anywhere near as many anime cosplayers. I always try to have video game cosplays for TGS, but I figure Dragonball is enough of a classic to count as an exception this time. Well, and it has oodles of video games, too. ^_^

DanRSL
08-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Good lord, that ID business is really too good to be true.

Oh man, I so regret not having my Samurai Spirits Basara costume, I could be from a video game AND shirtless!

I guess the Chemist is going to have to do. If I find one other FFT cosplayer, it will legitimize me.

Absolutely signing up as soon as possible.

Michi
08-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm excited. I sent off an e-mail but I look forward to sign-ups.

I'm a bit stressed because I want to get a costume done for a local event in a little under two weeks, but I'd rather focus on my Japan trip... Yet at the same time, I want the costume for TGS as well! Argh.

kiratsukai
08-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Okay. Hope is officially assembled on my floor! 1 pair of color contacts, 1 classe wig, two costumes, 1 pair of shoes, a pair of ankle socks, dark grey shoelaces, 50X50 cm of canvas, 1 binder, 1 set of manties and two giant cork bulletin boards to hack up to make a boomerang that I will not be allowed to brandish at Game Show... but will have anyway... because I want it.

Total cost of new stuff: an embarassing $550

Sacrificial lambs: My friend Matt's bulletin boards, a canvas bag (source of the canvas)

Hilarious adventures in shopping/collecting are over ~ let hilarious adventures in construction/alteration/costume-saving begin!

Hope's working name is now "Dispair" >.<

His makeup/wig test came out nice though... and I'm working on his token vacant expression *salute*

CelestialShadow
08-25-2010, 05:45 AM
Yikes Kira $550?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
That hurts me just thinking about how many cosplays i could make with that much =(

Well....I just went to nippori today and found some awesome red pleather for my Husbands Genesis jacket and it was only 200 yen a meter!!!!!!!!! I nearly screamed with joy when I saw the price tag because usually red pleather retails for 2500 yen a yard...ouch....but for some reason it was in the discount section so I took advantage of it! So got that out of the way now I need to buy cowhide leather to make his soldier belt.

My minerva costume is about 50% finished but my glue gun broke the other night so now I have to find another one probably at Tokyu Hanzo....if I cant find one there then I have a problem because I bought that gun in america @_@

Getting there slowly but surely. =D

kiratsukai
08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I got my gluegun at the hyaku-en shop. Which is deceptive... since it was actually 380 yen. But I got 30 sticks for 100 yen, so it wasn't worth arguing over. It's cheap, but it does the job :3

And let's not discuss the price of Hope. Hope is the cosplay equivalent of "The Golden Compass" >.< I have learned many lessons from this. Chief among them: never trust commissioners with expensive shit the first time around, reguardless of how many great reviews they have.

Jaseroque
08-25-2010, 11:03 AM
I got my glue gun at a Yuzawaya. They're certainly around. Maybe hardware stores too.

DanRSL
08-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Wow, I really hope (hurr hurr hurr) that $550 was with both costumes combined, because that would be an outrageously expensive commissioner, and that MIGHT be about the cost of everything I've made so far. Ok, maybe not, but close.

And all this talk of cheap fabric is totally getting me ready to make something new, I can't wait to start my Kefka (which would have been perfect for TGS, too...), but the thought of all the different patterns and fabric has me a bit worried.

kiratsukai
08-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow, I really hope (hurr hurr hurr) that $550 was with both costumes combined, because that would be an outrageously expensive commissioner

*facepalm*

- botched comission with shiny leather pants $280
- TRYMAX replacement $150
- Classe wig $60
- shoes $90 (but I'll wear them normally, too)
---------------------------------------------------
subtotal ~ $580

This doesn't include contacts and crossplay inners... which I already had and any of the material I've salvaged.

I still need to make one more trip to the fabric store for four new buttons (the ones on the pants I'm using aren't very accurate and it's an easy fix) and some fringe for the scarf.

The scarf and gloves are also way too big. I think Shadow's going to take in the gloves for me a bit. But I need to chop down and refinish the scarf myself (or I suppose I could tack it down with double-sided tape)...

Total envy for you costume-makers! I usually end up spending about $250-300 for a costume... even when they don't go wrong. Oh for talent, drive and a space for a sewing machine...

mixaka
08-29-2010, 09:07 AM
So excited that TGS is coming up! It's always my favorite event to cosplay at. And it's great to see they are adding more support and events for cosplayers. Especially the early entrance. I normally have to spend one day cosplaying and one day hitting up demos, but maybe I can do both on the same day this year. I'm also super curious about the Cosplay Press Conference happening on Friday so I really hope it is possible for us to get passes for the business days!

I'll be attending, probably as Beatrice from Umineko one day and I'm not yet sure on the other. I think the only other game related costumes I have are Unohana from Bleach and maybe Asuna from Negima! as I recall there being a related PSP game.

kiratsukai
08-29-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.cosgroove.com/page_02.html

Cosgroove is making drastic changes to their site. Some of the mentioned perks have mysteriously dissappeared *hrmmm* The missing information includes mention of early entrance, all mention of entrance on business days (though the business days still appear on the header), Interpretor offers, and locker room information.

The contest description has been fleshed out and now includes not only mention of foreign cosplayers but Japanese. A section on "background panels" has also been added along with note that there will be a seperate line for foreigners.

There is also a note in Japanese that regular tickets will still be required for attendance (something that was a bit vague in all of the previous press).

There is still no sign-up form (though a note in Japanese has appeared on another related page with a deadline for sign-up set at 9/10... it also says that the photo portion will be held on 9/18 in Yasuragi Mall). The twitter feed and main language-choice bar have both been temporarily disabled.

More general info here in Japanese ~ http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2010/visitor/cosplay.html

-photos will be taken and prizes awarded on Saturday in connection to the "Cosplay Grand Prix". You must sign up for this part! As of this moment, the only way to sign-up is through twitter

tweet to #tgs_cosgroove with the following message: エントリーしたい思い

-the dance party is also Sat from 6pm to 8pm at the Hall 8 Event Stage

info here: http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2010/visitor/night.html

We are all apparently expected to learn "balalaika" (see video).

(thanks Michi, for translation help)

(potentially more helpful than Miku's version ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krQiQ6ikTwM )

Judging from the program ~ the rest of this "dance party" is more like a happyoukai ~ a string of speeches, small scale performances and prize announcements.

-Dressing rooms in the 7th hall are set to open at 8am for all cosplayers. This is likely the early entrance we were told about. Though after changing, we'll form another line to wait to enter the event with everyone else ^^; Meh.

Regulations:

http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2010/visitor/attention.html#costume

No weapons, incendiary devices, police uniforms, controversial military uniforms, offensive insignias (nazi costumes are expressly forbidden), terrorist gear, blood/gore, big wings/wigs/props/attatchments, body-hair *laughs* ("hairy body"), long trailing skirts and capes. No visible underwear or bare skin, no shirtless men ~ both sexes should wear nylons or bodysuits over large expanses of flesh when wearing revealing costumes)

50 cm long prop cut off. Props that are swung around will be confiscated. No sharp edges. No fake guns, swords, airsoft guns, or blades unless they're made of soft materials. Even if they're soft ~ waving them around will get them taken away. No roller skates, skateboards, or projectiles/throwables.

No alcohol, flammable materials or materials with strong smells. No music-players, megaphones, etc. No walking and eating.

There is a 500 yen cloakroom fee.

New today 8/31:

"The way of entry to privilege programs

Cosplayers can apply for the Cosplay grand prix from twitter in advance.

Follow [tgs_cosgroove] and tweet your will of entry at [#tgs_cosgroove] and send jpg file which includes your picture. We will send a message later.
(The closing date is September 10th)

We prepare privilege programs for only cosplayers from overseas.

※We will announce about the Cosplay grand prix and privilege programs one by one.

※Pictures of those who apply for the Cosplay grand prix will appear on the Cosplay grand prix panel at The "Yasuragi Mall" on September 18 th, the very day of the grand prix."

From the sound of it, there's no way to apply without twitter... or to apply for the "privalege programs" without also entering the Grand Prix. In which case, I'm probably out of the running. I haven't got any interest in competing in a contest, especially in a costume I didn't make myself ^^;

I wish they had all of this information going up sooner than 3 weeks before the event.

Is anyone else uneasy with the word "privalege"? Shouldn't they be trying to make foreign cosplayers feel more like a part of the event and less like plantation overlords? O-o;;;

Michi
08-31-2010, 02:14 AM
Weiiiiird. I'm not at home so I don't really have time to look over all the new info, but I'm very interested. Sucks that they seem to have nixed the business day idea, but I'm still psyched for all the other stuff.

We are all apparently expected to learn "balalaika" (see video) which will be performed (and led) by a member of Morning Musume.

Balalaika is actually just a song by an ex-Morning Musume member (Koharu Kusumi). The girl herself left MoMusu last year and has nothing to do with TGS; they're just using her song. :) MikuMikuDance is the cosplay group putting on that portion and teaching the dance, I believe.

kiratsukai
08-31-2010, 03:20 AM
Balalaika is actually just a song by an ex-Morning Musume member (Koharu Kusumi). The girl herself left MoMusu last year and has nothing to do with TGS; they're just using her song. :) MikuMikuDance is the cosplay group putting on that portion and teaching the dance, I believe.

Then the "(月島きらり starring 久住小春 (モーニング娘。)" bit is part of the song title and not indicative of a performance? *slaps head* I will never understand how Japanese people use English. Thanks for clearing that up, I'll edit the post so as not to get anyone's hopes up.

As for Miku Miku Dance ~ it's a freeware modelling program used for making music videos. The video linked on the site was made with MMD. It will probably be projected in the background.

The "みんな覚えてきてね!!" part leads me to think the dance won't be taught so much as... launched into immediately with the expectation you've learned it on your own :)

shortsheik
08-31-2010, 05:28 AM
That all is... very Japanese. The whole dance party not being so much a dance party as much as a happyoukai with attendees actually expected to learn, know, and perform a dance.

I highly disapprove. Primarily because I'm a poor enough dancer (with zero rhythm and hand/eye/foot coordination) as it is and I stand a snowball's chance in hell of learning any dance whatsoever from a youtube video. My best bet would be just trying to copy everyone around me while it's going on, and if I'm wearing costume contacts (meaning I won't be able to see shit), that snowball in hell has damn well evaporated.

kiratsukai
08-31-2010, 05:39 AM
I highly disapprove.

We both know we'd disapprove of anything that isn't Yorustar-format :P

But yeah... I don't know if I can learn it either. I flailed around awkwardly to it a bit this morning before feeling too silly to continue.

CelestialShadow
08-31-2010, 07:38 AM
Hmmmmm that is all so confusing, I want to compete but I will probably make a fool of myself....I still dont know how to enter this thing, their tweet thing seems to not be working.

Is their going to be a seperate line for foreigners for the event in general or is that just for the contest?????

kiratsukai
08-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Hmmmmm that is all so confusing, I want to compete but I will probably make a fool of myself....I still dont know how to enter this thing, their tweet thing seems to not be working.

Is their going to be a seperate line for foreigners for the event in general or is that just for the contest?????

The seperate line is being mentioned explicitly for the coswall background photo shoot thing. I have no idea if you need to sign up to stand in it or even if not-standing in it is optional O-o; I don't think cosgroove has totally thought this through themselves... ^^;;;;

Michi
09-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Then the "(月島きらり starring 久住小春 (モーニング娘。)" bit is part of the song title and not indicative of a performance? *slaps head* I will never understand how Japanese people use English. Thanks for clearing that up, I'll edit the post so as not to get anyone's hopes up.

It's the artist, actually. :) It's a bit complicated to explain. The song was for an anime, and Koharu Kusumi was the voice of the main character Kirari Tsukishima. The idea is that Kirari herself is singing it, but since Koharu is her voice it's "starring" her.

As for Miku Miku Dance ~ it's a freeware modelling program used for making music videos. The video linked on the site was made with MMD. It will probably be projected in the background.

The "みんな覚えてきてね!!" part leads me to think the dance won't be taught so much as... launched into immediately with the expectation you've learned it on your own :)

DERP I was thinking of something completely different when I said that. You're right. I need to not post when I'm in a rush, haha. There's a cosplay group in Japan with MikuMiku in their name and I got them mixed up.

Jaseroque
09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Well guys, I love you all but it looks like I won't be attending TGS this year. It's a bit of a blow because I went for the last two years and it's my favourite of the big events to cosplay at, but alas, my town's Autumn Festival is on the same weekend and I must attend. I'm looking forward to that as well, but I'll miss the chance to hang out with you guys and be awesome. Ah well.

kiratsukai
09-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Well guys, I love you all but it looks like I won't be attending TGS this year. It's a bit of a blow because I went for the last two years and it's my favourite of the big events to cosplay at, but alas, my town's Autumn Festival is on the same weekend and I must attend. I'm looking forward to that as well, but I'll miss the chance to hang out with you guys and be awesome. Ah well.

This makes me sad :(

Hopefully we can meet up for something else later this autumn or winter. Would love to try a studio share or do some of those location shoots we were plotting (snow in Aomori, the beach in Shikoku, sneaky-cityscapes).

HezaChan
09-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm going to be going to TGS this year, and wanted to wear I-no. Normally I just tape myself to my jacket, but I knew about japanese cosplay rules for other events, so I planned to wear a bra under the jacket. Now that I read these rules, it seems as if that won't be OK... :| I hope there is something I can do, because that's a HUGE bummer. I'm still going to bring it anyways XD

TheVampireNeko
09-05-2010, 12:38 AM
I was just reading those rules, and I am mighty confused about the whole bodysuit bit. Does that mean you have to wear a body suit for a character that has a top similar to a bikini? Or are they mainly worried about the lower half of people's bodies? What about underwear over tights (similar to Chun Li or something)? Is that allowed?

I'm not sure that I'll be able to go, but I'm asking just in case.

Jaseroque
09-05-2010, 01:22 AM
I really hope we can do something awesome together sometime too. ^_^ Keep me up to date on what you're up to, and I'll try and come out and play!

kiratsukai
09-05-2010, 02:25 AM
(via shortshiek's e-mail)

Note ~ the twitter and facebook application methods seem fubared. Send them an email.

------------------------------

Hello.

I hope that you don't mind us contacting you.
We are the team 「Cosgroove」that will promote an event of Cosplay,「CosPlay@TGS2010」in Tokyo Game Show 2010 this year.

The event of Cosplay will be held officially in Tokyo Game Show from this year and We prepare privileges for Cosplayer from overseas so that especially Cosplay becomes international as follows.

We want Cosplayers from overseas to join 「CosPlay@TGS2010」. So we send this mail.

If you are interested in this event, Please read this mail.

The program about privileges for Cosplayers from overseas are as follows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
◆Privilege A - offer of admission ID
Admission ID (Public days:9/18~9/19) will be given to the first 300 people as a privilege for Cosplayers from overseas! If you want to join this lottery,you need an entry in advance.

We will give your companion admission ID!
Let's join 「CosPlay@TGS2010」with your friend or family.

※Please enroll whether you have a companion or not and the name of your companion and relationship between you and your companion when you send a message about entry.

※If you don't have a companion, we wil give admission ID to only you.

◆Privilege B - Cash sponsor ship

Let's get US100$~US500$ at Tokyo Game Show!

We will give cosplayers from overseas US100$~US500$ apiece as a welcome bonus in the lottery.

Why don't you join this happy program ,which you can get money when coming Japan if you show intention of coming Japan and send an email with a picture of cosplay?

※We will contact prizewinners about the amount of cash sponsor ship within 24 hours from entry.
※We will announce prizewinners about the way of sending money later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

These privileges, privilege A - offer of admission ID and privilege B - cash sponsor ship are available to both Cosplayers who have nationality from overseas living in a foreign country and Cosplayers who have nationality from overseas linving in Japan.

■Cosplay Grand Prix
We will also hold a contest of Cosplay 「Cosplay Grand Prix」in Tokyo Game Show 2010.
If you want to join Cosplay Grand Prix, you need an entry,too in advance.
Please inform of your will if you want to join.

※We will take a piture of those who join 「Cosplay Grand Prix」,and the picture will appear on the Cosplay grand prix panel at The "Yasuragi Mall" on September 18 th, the very day of the grand prix.

You can get more informations from a official website of Cosgroove.
http://www.cosgroove.com

An official website of 「Tokyo Game Show 2010」
http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2010/visitor/cosplay.html

■The way of an entry
We accept an entry on the Web as follows.

?Entry from twitter

Follow [tgs_cosgroove] and tweet your will of entry at [#tsg_cosgroove] and send jpg file which includes your picture.

After that we send a message from twitter. So please reply to the message, including the followings.

・your name
・your nationality
・starting point or airport
・your cosplay name
・2 pictures of your cosplay or HP adress which has your pictures

・In case you get privilege A …
1:show us whether you have a companion or not and the name of your companion.
2:show us relationship between you and your companion. (ex. family/friend/cosplay companion)
・Show us whether you join 「Cosplay Grand Prix」or not.

※If you get privilege A, you can take only one person with admission ID.

※You can only send 2 pictures of jpg file that identify your whole body and face.

---[Cosplay@TGS2010] twitter account of administration team
http://twitter.com/tgs_cosgroove

?Entry from Facebook

Please send a message including the followings to account of administration team [Cosplay@TGS2010].

・your name
・your cosplay name
・your nationality

2:show us relationship between you and your companion. (ex. family/friend/cosplay companion)

※You can only send 2 pictures of jpg file that identify your whole body and face.

---[Cosplay@TGS2010] Facebook account of administration team---
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tokyo-Game-Show-2010-Cosplay/
132120626833449?v=info#info_edit_sections

?Entry from Plurk
First becom a fun of account of「Cosgroove」and send your will of entry.
We send a message to 「private Plunk」later. So please reply to the message from 「private Plunk」, including the followings.

・your name
・your cosplay name
・your nationality

※If you get privilege A, you can take only one person with admission ID.

---[Cosplay@TGS2010] Plurk account of administration team---
http://www.plurk.com/Cosgroove

We also acceppt an entry from email.
Please send a message to team@cogroove.com.

We plan to promote cultural exchange between Japanese Cosplay and overseas Cosplay through Tokyo Game Show 2010.
So we hope that you join.

If it is inconvenient for you to join, Please tell your friends and Cosplay companions about this information.

Thank you.

Cosgroove

kiratsukai
09-05-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm going to be going to TGS this year, and wanted to wear I-no. Normally I just tape myself to my jacket, but I knew about japanese cosplay rules for other events, so I planned to wear a bra under the jacket. Now that I read these rules, it seems as if that won't be OK... :| I hope there is something I can do, because that's a HUGE bummer. I'm still going to bring it anyways XD

Shortshiek is wearing Vanille and has quite a bit of tummy and leg to show. I'm not sure what "large expanses of flesh" means in this context but we'll probably try to get away with no nylon covering but BRING a pair of flesh colored nylons and a flesh colored leotard just in case ^^;; That way if it DOES become an issue ~ it can be altered at that point.

Quite a lot of the dress code seems to be for the purpose of not offending the international guests and press (the nazi emblems and revealing outfits would seem to be an international PR problem... not a local one). I'm not sure how strict they intend to be.

shortsheik
09-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Shortshiek is wearing Vanille and has quite a bit of tummy and leg to show. I'm not sure what "large expanses of flesh" means in this context but we'll probably try to get away with no nylon covering but BRING a pair of flesh colored nylons and a flesh colored leotard just in case ^^;; That way if it DOES become an issue ~ it can be altered at that point.

*pokes Kira* Yeah, on that, I'm throw in a pair of tights, but I don't have a leotard. So, unless Animate carries some in stock, SOL there. Gonna have to ride on hope!

Hey, wait... ^___^

(Gonna have to look into checking that bra situation too. ><)

kiratsukai
09-05-2010, 08:06 AM
*pokes Kira* Yeah, on that, I'm throw in a pair of tights, but I don't have a leotard. So, unless Animate carries some in stock, SOL there. Gonna have to ride on hope!

Hey, wait... ^___^

(Gonna have to look into checking that bra situation too. ><)

I think your top has a bra built into it... if not... Don Quixote! Might be able to grab a cheap armless leotard there too just in case.

But I SERIOUSLY doubt they're going to toss out every girl in a short skirt with her tummy showing.

The people would revolt.

HezaChan
09-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Quite a lot of the dress code seems to be for the purpose of not offending the international guests and press (the nazi emblems and revealing outfits would seem to be an international PR problem... not a local one). I'm not sure how strict they intend to be.

I honestly don't think most international guests and press would be too upset about flesh showing (as long as your not almost naked) but I do see the nazi emblems being a problem.

I plan on bringing nylons for my legs anyways, but I don't have anything I could wear on top, I have a feeling it'd look pretty silly if i where to wear and flesh toned body suit underneath I-no. XD

CelestialShadow
09-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Hurray for Don Quixote! God I love that store!

I was a bit worried to about the rules because my tummy shows with my costume but thats about it. i Do have a flesh tone leotard but i really dont want to wear it......its probably going to still be hot during that time so I actually want to wear as little as possible!

shortsheik
09-06-2010, 06:53 AM
I think your top has a bra built into it... if not... Don Quixote! Might be able to grab a cheap armless leotard there too just in case.

But I SERIOUSLY doubt they're going to toss out every girl in a short skirt with her tummy showing.

The people would revolt.

If by built-in bra you mean the cups I bought, sewed together, and am still trying to figure out the best way to attach, then yes. If you did not mean them, then no, the top has no bra built in (hence my buying those cups).

There's no real way to sew the cups in. I was just planning on sticking them in with a bit of double sided tape to hold them into place. ><

Much as I hate my bare tummy, I'm kinda with Shadow on that whole not wanting to make myself even hotter with all the leotards. Urk.

kiratsukai
09-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Boss! Cosgroove seems to be sending out the results of some of the applications already. Keep your eye on your mailbox for news ^_~

New niceness: free dressing room for foreigners ~ the line up is at 9:30.

I'm not entering the Grand Prix since I'm a total noob and I didn't make enough of my costume to justify showing it off in any context. But those who made their costumes themselves totally should :) I have a feeling there's some swag to be grabbed. Remember me if you win something edible ^^/

HezaChan
09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Boss! Cosgroove seems to be sending out the results of some of the applications already. Keep your eye on your mailbox for news ^_~

New niceness: free dressing room for foreigners ~ the line up is at 9:30.

This is so awesome! I haven't been so excited for a convention in a VERY long time. I just got a confirmation email from them! And that is so nice for the free dressing room!

Hope to see you guys there :D

Michi
09-06-2010, 03:57 PM
The e-mail bounced back so I attempted to enter through Twitter. Thankfully there's a few days left til the deadline in case it doesn't work!

HezaChan
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
The e-mail bounced back so I attempted to enter through Twitter. Thankfully there's a few days left til the deadline in case it doesn't work!

That happened to me too. Then I noticed the email addy that I copypasted from here was misspelled!

team@cosgroove.com This should work! Good luck :D

CelestialShadow
09-07-2010, 01:16 AM
I STILL havent recieved mine yet =( im writing to them again...but their twitter page and facebook page seem to not work at all right now....

Michi
09-07-2010, 01:17 AM
That happened to me too. Then I noticed the email addy that I copypasted from here was misspelled!

team@cosgroove.com This should work! Good luck :D

...AHAHAHA oh. Well. If I don't hear anything from Twitter in a couple of days I will definitely send off another e-mail! Did you get a reply?

CelestialShadow
09-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Well tweet them but I am not a twitter person so I dont know how the heck to send them a jpeg file of myself via twitter.....hopefully they will just contact me. I send them off another email but dont know if that will work either.....

OH oH oh Heza-chan! If you go as I-no I can wear my Sol Badguy costume with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CelestialShadow
09-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Okay i just got my confirmation email! Yayyyyyyyy!

DanRSL
09-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Just sent out a registration email (I think), here's hoping I'll get some sort of sign up confirmation.

Oh man, so excited and nervous for them doting on us.

kiratsukai
09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Does anyone know if everyone who enters is guaranteed an ID Pass or if we need to be awarded them along with cash sponsorships?

I recieved information about where to pick up the pass with my sponsorship notification but it was worded in such a way to make ID passes and sponsorship sound like potentially totally different awards.

Do we need to recieve explicit notice about recieving a pass to get one?
It seems weird to charge for entry, then turn around and give that money back O-o;; But Japan has done weirder things before.

HezaChan
09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
...AHAHAHA oh. Well. If I don't hear anything from Twitter in a couple of days I will definitely send off another e-mail! Did you get a reply?

Yes I got a reply ^_^

OH oH oh Heza-chan! If you go as I-no I can wear my Sol Badguy costume with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That'd be so badass!!! *jumps up and down like an excited child*

Does anyone know if everyone who enters is guaranteed an ID Pass or if we need to be awarded them along with cash sponsorships?

I have no idea. It's all a bit confusing to me @_@

mixaka
09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
From what I can tell the free pass and sponsorship are separate things but you use the same code to collect them. My ID/entry to TGS was confirmed almost instantly and then a second email was sent confirming my sponsorship and informing me of the amount of my award. I have a friend coming with me who isn't a coplayer though. We've come together every year for the past 2 years and she usually acts as my photographer (though using my camera and gear). I gave them her name when signing up, but I'm unclear as to whether she also gets a pass and can join me in the special foreign cosplayer line.

I'm a bit confused about what exactly the sponsorship is other than free money though. They do ask to take your picture, but I wonder what they are going to use the picture for. It's no small amount of money they are just handing out for seemingly nothing.

Anyone else get a sponsorship? I'm curious about the amounts they are giving out.

kiratsukai
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I got an email after entering with my "entry ID" ~ but I assumed this was entry into the drawing they mentioned for awards... not to entry to the event itself.

Does "entry ID" = "ID pass" then?

HezaChan
09-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Anyone else get a sponsorship? I'm curious about the amounts they are giving out.

I got a sponsorship, it was $50. (although it hasn't been confirmed yet as I had to email them back and haven't heard from them yet) I think you receive your sponsorship when you get to the event. Not too clear on that though.

CelestialShadow
09-07-2010, 08:31 PM
how many people here are going to compete in the grand prix? Personally I am not because it seems like too much stress AND the costume I would want to compete in I plan to wear sunday only because I heard Final Fantasy cosplayers show up sunday mostly.....as much as I love my sol badguy costume (which I plan to wear saturday) I dont think it would win me anything =P

DanRSL
09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm a bit confused about what exactly the sponsorship is other than free money though. They do ask to take your picture, but I wonder what they are going to use the picture for. It's no small amount of money they are just handing out for seemingly nothing.

From the info they sent me, it looks like it's a showing of good faith or something for people who spent so much money to travel here. Granted, its kind of weird, but I think that's what they're going for.

The picture they mention will be for you, I'm sure they keep one for their records, and then they mention they might use it in Cosmode with your permission. So if you ever wanted to be in a magazine, here goes.

how many people here are going to compete in the grand prix? Personally I am not because it seems like too much stress AND the costume I would want to compete in I plan to wear sunday only because I heard Final Fantasy cosplayers show up sunday mostly.....

I sent in a signup, but I'm a little nervous about it. I thought "what the hell, I'll help them pad their event" as an extra body there, but now I hope I'm not one of like 5 people, hahah! But hey, then I might win! Okay, nobody register and I'll win by default.

But now you raise another question. How many different costumes are people wearing this weekend? Are you going to be decked out all of the potential 4 days (or is it still just 2?)

As for my signup, I sent it directly to one of the organizers and to team@cosgroove.com, and the team email bumped back because they apparently hit their bandwidth quota or something. I hope this doesn't mean they got flooded with applicants and I won't get it. Just have to wait and see.

Also, do you need to have registered for TGS itself ahead of time? I always just assumed it was a walk-in kind of thing, should I be emailing TGS, too?

HezaChan
09-07-2010, 11:05 PM
But now you raise another question. How many different costumes are people wearing this weekend? Are you going to be decked out all of the potential 4 days (or is it still just 2?)

As for my signup, I sent it directly to one of the organizers and to team@cosgroove.com, and the team email bumped back because they apparently hit their bandwidth quota or something. I hope this doesn't mean they got flooded with applicants and I won't get it. Just have to wait and see.

Also, do you need to have registered for TGS itself ahead of time? I always just assumed it was a walk-in kind of thing, should I be emailing TGS, too?

I am just wearing the one costume on Saturday since I'll be heading back to America that following Sunday. That should be the correct email addy. The first email I sent bounced back too because of a misspelling from the first email addy in the thread that I copied and pasted. Check for misspellings! Hopefully that helps :)

My applicant number for the contest was a rather low number, you can count it on both hands. I'm interested to see all the people who entered and what countries they are from!

My boyfriend bought our public day tickets a head of time, but I think (by the looks of the email responses that I got from cosgroove) that if you have registered with cosgroove as a foreign cosplayer, I don't think you have to pay (looks like I'll be giving my boyfriend the money back for the ticket ^^; ).

DanRSL
09-08-2010, 12:04 AM
I am just wearing the one costume on Saturday since I'll be heading back to America that following Sunday. That should be the correct email addy. The first email I sent bounced back too because of a misspelling from the first email addy in the thread that I copied and pasted. Check for misspellings! Hopefully that helps :)

Yea, it still doesn't go through, but I just got a response from the organizer, so I'm good. Apparently he remembers me from Comiket. If anyone else has a problem sending it to "Team", let me know and I can send you his email address.

My applicant number for the contest was a rather low number, you can count it on both hands. I'm interested to see all the people who entered and what countries they are from!

Yea, I'm really curious too. My ID is like 10 digits, but it has a bunch of 0s and ends in 33, so I'm assuming I'm number 33. This is going to be funny if its just a handful of us they cart around to be displayed. Wouldn't be the first time for me in Japan, haha.

My boyfriend bought our public day tickets a head of time, but I think (by the looks of the email responses that I got from cosgroove) that if you have registered with cosgroove as a foreign cosplayer, I don't think you have to pay (looks like I'll be giving my boyfriend the money back for the ticket ^^; ).

Ok cool. Yea, I'm sifting through his email now and it looks like you're right. We just go to them to sign in and probably won't pay anything.

I also got some money, but they don't know how much yet. I didn't get into the business days, though. Did anyone? Or did they just kind of scrap that idea?

CelestialShadow
09-08-2010, 03:32 AM
well for all those who are competing, I salute you! I will be routing for you!

I will be going as Sol for saturday and minerva for sunday, so two costumes only for me =)

kiratsukai
09-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Two for me too. Going as Hope on Saturday and Konoe on Sunday (provided it isn't too hot, then I might do Len again and screw that horrible cape).

From the look of the list on cosp.jp ~ just as many FF cosplayers are attending Saturday as on Sunday (there are two Japanese Lightnings, two Snows, a Hope, and a Vanille all RSVPed... but I was only looking for other FFXIIIs). I think Jas and a few others are just counting on one cosplayer in particular (KANAME).

Not to discount KANAME's charisma-power (he does have a few thousand friends on cosp.jp) but I don't think most people are all that worried about whether or not they cosplay the same series on the same day he does. I say if you want to wear your FF on Saturday and enter the contest you absolutely should ;) You might win something (and from the sound of the promo material, some game companies will be choosing their favorites and awarding special prizes... I know how much you dig squeenix. What if they dig you, too?).

You can always throw the same costume in your bag on Sunday, too and change into it halfway through the day if you see FF cosplayers you really want to take photos with.

But you really shouldn't listen to me. I hate being bothered nearly as much as I like the idea of friends winning prizes :) And the Grand Prix sounds like it will be a bit of a hassle and best and a huuuuuge pain in the ass at worst. And you probably don't want to leave your I-no out in the cold :P

Business days aren't open to us. It's been confirmed. I think some of the confusion may have been that the event planners are also listing some business-day-only cosplay events (like the cosplay panel) in their literature in spite of only 4 cosplayers being able to attend (the ones they invited to attend as special guests).

Edit: Just double-checked the RSVP list. 34 FF cosplayers confirmed on Saturday (including 3 Crisis Core characters and me, shiek and our Sahz). Seems like a few more FFXIII and FFX cosplayers on this day ~ probably groups).

42 FF cosplayers for Sunday (including 2 Crisis Core, a handful of repeats from Sat and multiple costumes from 2 or 3 people). The number seems to be padded by a HUGE Dissidia group and decent-sized FFVI and FFIV groups. There's also more Advent Children on Sun.

Neither day has any public FF or GG meetings set up.

There is a disconcerting amount of Durarara! and VOCALOID (both riding minor PSP game releases)... and ~no~ BL games or Tohou *swears* We might just end up doing both days Final Fantasy so as not to rock the boat.

Oh, and Dan ~ there will be a girl going as a Dancer from FF Tactics on Sunday. You should find her :)

Michi
09-09-2010, 02:50 AM
No response on Twitter, so I'm going to e-mail them. :[

HezaChan
09-09-2010, 05:41 PM
No response on Twitter, so I'm going to e-mail them. :[

I think that would be your best bet as their Twitter is kind of dead (although they followed me O_o) and their facebook is kind of deserted too. Good luck!

Michi
09-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I got a reply from e-mail as soon as I woke up this morning. MUCH quicker. I wonder why they even bother having the Twitter and Facebook nonsense when they reply to e-mails so quickly!

Michi
09-10-2010, 02:32 AM
Shame on me for double posting, but people were asking about sponsorships... I got $300. Holy crap, dude.

mixaka
09-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Seeing as I was the one asking about sponsorship, I figure I should share as well. I was also offered $300. I think that's why I'm so curious about WHY they are giving out this money. I've never gotten $300 for something I had planned on doing for free before so I can't help but think, 'what's the catch?'

kiratsukai
09-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Seeing as I was the one asking about sponsorship, I figure I should share as well. I was also offered $300. I think that's why I'm so curious about WHY they are giving out this money. I've never gotten $300 for something I had planned on doing for free before so I can't help but think, 'what's the catch?'

It seems to be more or less and experiment to see if the promise of money and perks will help draw more foreign cosplayers in spite of the travel costs. The tactic is entirely self-serving: to make Tokyo Game Show appear a more internationally appealing and heavily internationally-attended than it actually is in an effort to promote the show as the world's biggest game expo.

With E3 no longer admitting the public, Game Show has had its eye on the prize for at least a year. At stake on an even larger scale is the reputation of Japan the center of "game culture" and the reputation of Japanese products internationally. The US is quickly closing the gap technologically and in sales ~ Japan is suffering overseas growing pains in the same ways American companies are sufferring here.

Any highly visible international presence helps create an image of the event as an "international game expo" not a "Japanese game expo". In turn, Japanese products gain clout and a more visable showroom closer to home.

Essentially: we're plants.

I got $50. So did a newbie member of our group with no previous photos at all...

Seems we're all walking away with something. But it's probably best not to discuss the money or perks with Japanese cosplayers... it is bound to be unpopular and it won't win us any fans :/

CelestialShadow
09-10-2010, 09:04 AM
LOL kira said it best. I was offered $300 too which totally blew me away because just getting free admission and a expedited changing room line is more than enough, of course I wont say no to the money either...but I feel that some people deserve it more than I do.

I didnt know E3 has closed its doors to the public...that`s sad =(

HezaChan
09-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Shame on me for double posting, but people were asking about sponsorships... I got $300. Holy crap, dude.

Damn! Congrats! I only got 50 (unless that was a typo, but I doubt it LOL)

kiratsukai
09-10-2010, 10:38 AM
ARGH!

Nothing is going right and I'm out of time!

Gloves -- disaster!

Konoe boots -- NONE!! WHERE ARE THEY?! DISASTER!!

Konoe not apparently being Game Show worthy -- URK!

Face is all breaking out thanks to a week in schools without airconditioning during the heat wave...

I have just painted my $80 converse shoes (which are still much too short and somehow now look even shorter with accurate soles)...

The dance is... well, I'll be able to do 75% of the first minute awkwardly??

Blood Pressure is still low and Aunt Flo is scheduled to visit.

I'm dreading this nearly as much as I've been looking forward to it.

PLEASE let everything come together somehow in the last week?

Please?!

HezaChan
09-10-2010, 06:54 PM
ARGH!

Nothing is going right and I'm out of time!

Gloves -- disaster!

Konoe boots -- NONE!! WHERE ARE THEY?! DISASTER!!

Konoe not apparently being Game Show worthy -- URK!

Face is all breaking out thanks to a week in schools without airconditioning during the heat wave...

I have just painted my $80 converse shoes (which are still much too short and somehow now look even shorter with accurate soles)...

The dance is... well, I'll be able to do 75% of the first minute awkwardly??

Blood Pressure is still low and Aunt Flo is scheduled to visit.

I'm dreading this nearly as much as I've been looking forward to it.

PLEASE let everything come together somehow in the last week?

Please?!

Here's hoping everything works out for you! *crosses fingers*

Michi
09-10-2010, 09:20 PM
The team@cosgroove e-mail is constantly over quota... What was the other e-mail I could maybe reply to? I want to confirm asap... :(

kiratsukai
09-10-2010, 09:53 PM
yoshimoto@cosgroove.net

Michi
09-11-2010, 03:24 AM
Thanks!! They sent me another e-mail asking to confirm and I'm sitting here like "I'm trying to!!!"

DanRSL
09-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Oh, and Dan ~ there will be a girl going as a Dancer from FF Tactics on Sunday. You should find her :)

No way! That's amazing, now I'll have someone relevant to pose with/throw items at.

I also got $50. It's curious to think how they ended on what number for whom. Experience doesn't seem to be the factor, not distance traveled and apparently not order of application. Congrats for you high rollers.

I'm really interested to see how much the internationalization makes an impact. It would be really nice for this to make any kind of stride for making trips to Japan a bit more affordable for this kind of tourism. Or on the other hand, showcasing foreign cosplayers as a way to show cosplay to the masses and make it just a little more accepted and open in Japan. But then again, yeah, this is probably just a way to make TGS look like the cooler, more biggerer, more importanter show.

Also Michi, if that address doesn't work, I used maseigi@cosgroove.com . He seems to be one of the primary organizers.

Kira, I'm sure everything will pull through, good luck!

Michi
09-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I am pretty sure it is literally a random lottery. Like spinning a wheel and seeing what amount it lands on. I do feel extremely lucky and I am probably going to be using that money for more important things than, say, merchandise. :)

I tried sending an e-mail to yamamoto; if I don't hear anything later today (morning in Japan) I will try that other address. Thanks, Dan!

I look forward to seeing you all! I'm planning on wearing a bright gold dress with black trim on Saturday so I should be easy to spot!

kiratsukai
09-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Pulled an all-day shopping/sewing spree and got a ton done ~ but now my fingers are all ouchy from hand-sewing canvas and leather :(

Have another all-day sewing fest tomorrow.

The whole weekend is shot, but at least I'll have two costumes...

Day 2 we'll be going as Konoe and Tokino after all. If 50 Durarara cosplayers show up to support a PSP tie-in game. I figure can show up as a character in a PC game that got a PS2 release two years ago :/

HezaChan
09-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I'll be leaving for Japan early morning tomorrow. I hope to see you guys at Tokyo Game Show :D

CelestialShadow
09-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Have a safe trip HezaChan! I cant wait to see you there!

DanRSL
09-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Bon voyage Heza! I'm looking forward to meeting all the new faces for me.

If anyone is around Tokyo and wants to get together later in the week, let me know!

kiratsukai
09-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Good luck to all travellers. See you in Tokyo :) We'll be in town from Friday. Dan and C.S. have my info already ~ anyone else who wants it can pm me. Though from the sound of it, we'll all be sharing the same gaijin-dressing-room and should be hard to miss.

Michi
09-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I seem to be leaving just one day after Heza as I'm gonna be heading out tomorrow afternoon. :) I'll get to Japan on September 14.

I never got a reply from the yamamoto address so I sent one to the address I got from Dan. Here's hoping!

kiratsukai
09-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Hey guys,

Just a note to those in-transit. If you're cosgroove sponsored, you should have recieved an email confirmation today that includes a flyer in .pdf form. Entrance requires this flyer ~or~ a potentially lengthy explanation to staff (probably in Japanese)... so it might be good to have the flyer :)

You can print one out at just about any net cafe for a minimal fee.

If anyone needs a copy printed for them, I can make you an extra copy and hand it to you before heading in the morning before the event. Just drop me a pm.

CelestialShadow
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up Kira! i just printed mine out for me and my husband. Was wondering though, when they say you can bring a companion does it matter where they are from? Hubby is native Japanese but he can fake being korean or American/Japanese very well if need be =P

Michi
09-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Man, they sent that thing as soon as I arrived in Japan and had printed everything out at home. I guess I can find a net cafe or something. I'd take you up on your offer, kira, but it'd be so hard to actually GET the form from you as I don't have a working cell phone here. :(

kiratsukai
09-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Man, they sent that thing as soon as I arrived in Japan and had printed everything out at home. I guess I can find a net cafe or something. I'd take you up on your offer, kira, but it'd be so hard to actually GET the form from you as I don't have a working cell phone here. :(

We all need to go through the same series of desks and changing room at 9:30 on Saturday, so it should be simple enough just to wait for you outside :)

Rebecca> If they're going to be silly about Eisuke being Japanese, let them. It will only serve to highlight how silly the whole Japanese-line foreigner-line thing really is. I doubt they'd risk confrontation over it.

CelestialShadow
09-15-2010, 03:09 AM
@ kira, yeah very true but since cosgroove seems to be gearing towards foreign cosplayers I kind of had a thought that they would be expecting us to bring foreign friends....but yeah they probably wont make a big deal about it.

Michi
09-15-2010, 03:18 AM
Eeee true... Are you planning on being there that early? I was hoping to arrive between then and 10, I suppose.

kiratsukai
09-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Eeee true... Are you planning on being there that early? I was hoping to arrive between then and 10, I suppose.

It says to go at 9:30, so I'll probably try to be there by then. Otherwise early-entrance is kind of moot :) But we can always hide some flyers somewhere obvious outside for pick-up.

Michi
09-15-2010, 04:18 AM
Hahaha. Yeahhhh I guess, but early entry doesn't excite me as much as free entry does. I'm not that far away so I guess I'll aim for 9:30 too. I woke up at 7 today anyway so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

DanRSL
09-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey everyone, sorry for the late post but I've been traveling the country for the last two weeks.

Anyway, I wanted to throw out the idea of a little meet and greet tonight for everyone who's in the Tokyo area. But I realize everyone here may not have access to an internet connection, so I'll try to contact as many as possible.

If you see this post and want to hang out tonight, either post here, email me at (my user name) @gmail.com or (my user name) @ezweb.ne.jp, but the second one only if you have a Japanese phone, it can't accept web emails.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Masonkun
09-17-2010, 01:37 AM
im gonna be at the game show, i wont be cosplaying because my costumes are all out daed but i will be there. does anyone have plans for after the game show on either saturday or sunday.

DanRSL
09-17-2010, 02:33 AM
im gonna be at the game show, i wont be cosplaying because my costumes are all out daed but i will be there. does anyone have plans for after the game show on either saturday or sunday.

You really shouldn't let that bug you. Hell, my costume is from a game that came out in 1998. I'm assuming you haven't contacted Cosgroove, though, which is a shame since you could have gotten these great benefits. If nothing else, early and easy (probably) entry.

Check out this topic for info about an event after sunday,

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=219296

Michi
09-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Where should we all meet tomorrow morning?

Hey everyone, sorry for the late post but I've been traveling the country for the last two weeks.

Anyway, I wanted to throw out the idea of a little meet and greet tonight for everyone who's in the Tokyo area. But I realize everyone here may not have access to an internet connection, so I'll try to contact as many as possible.

If you see this post and want to hang out tonight, either post here, email me at (my user name) @gmail.com or (my user name) @ezweb.ne.jp, but the second one only if you have a Japanese phone, it can't accept web emails.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Wait, was this last night? Hahaha. I was at a movie when you posted this... Dang.

DanRSL
09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Wait, was this last night? Hahaha. I was at a movie when you posted this... Dang.

It was a mega fail. I was considering seeing the BECK movie, what did you see?

As far as tomorrow morning, I think its the first TGS for a handful of us, so I don't know if there's a generally known meet-up point. But if everyone is going to be there for 9:30 entry, I'm sure we'll find each other some way or another.

Masonkun
09-17-2010, 09:42 AM
yea im gonn be lost as hell i dont know where to find yall. im sure ill just look for a bunch of gaijin in costumes though my cell is 09028499338 if anyone cant find me. also after the convention im heading to akiba if anyone wants to go or if anyone has a better idea i might do that

Michi
09-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Once you get off at Kaihin-Makuhari Station, the way to Makuhari Messe is very easy. It's basically a straight shot path and there are tons of signs for Tokyo Game Show. You shouldn't get too lost as long as you're paying attention! I intend to get there at 9:30 as well. (Depending on how early I wake up this might just mean that I show up at the station at 9:30 rather than the con center itself, but we'll see...) I imagine near the entry itself would be good to meet up at. I have to leave by around 8 am tomorrow so I dunno if I'll have time to check if anyone picked another meet up spot before I leave!
If we're all getting there around the same time we should stand out, anyway! I'll be taking the Keiyo Line from Tokyo. I think I'll be wearing my pink shorts and purple top if it's as hot as it was today. D:

If you mean getting lost in the con center... Well. There's only one cosplay area. :)

The site says some stuff about using the changing room before 8 am... I really don't want to be in costume that early. D:

It was a mega fail. I was considering seeing the BECK movie, what did you see?

Karigurashi no Arrietty, the new Ghibli movie. Sooooo gooooood~!!

Michi
09-17-2010, 07:25 PM
I know some people check Coscom from their phones so I'm just posting to say that I'll be late. I made it halfway to the station before I realized I forgot my Cosgroove info, so now I need to catch a later train... Sigh. I also still don't have a pdf for myself, argh. Hope to find someone there! I'll hopefully get to the station by 9:45. Arg.

Masonkun
09-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I know some people check Coscom from their phones so I'm just posting to say that I'll be late. I made it halfway to the station before I realized I forgot my Cosgroove info, so now I need to catch a later train... Sigh. I also still don't have a pdf for myself, argh. Hope to find someone there! I'll hopefully get to the station by 9:45. Arg.

Ill be there around 11 what costume will u be in so i can find yall

HezaChan
09-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Nice meeting all of you there! I had a wonderful time, and thanks for all your help :)

Masonkun
09-20-2010, 02:06 AM
it was fun to meet you too. hopefully we can cosplay together in the future. i sent you my email in case

Strifehart
09-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Hey everybody, it's Leon. Just wanted to say thanks for helping me out so much during the con, that was the most fun I've had in quite a while :D