PDA

View Full Version : WCS news and updates

karlonne
03-11-2010, 09:19 AM
good day...

im a filipino cosplayer i just to want some information on WCS... if there is please care to share cause i really want to join ^_^

thank you all

kiratsukai
03-11-2010, 04:32 PM
What's WCS?

If you can give me information in Japanese, I can translate it... but I'm afraid I've never heard of it.

mixaka
03-12-2010, 04:41 AM
WCS = World Cosplay Summit

I think it is too late to join as a participant in the competition and I am not sure if there is even a representative from the Philippines, however, anyone can participate in the parade that they hold before the competition. I don't think they have announced a date for 2010 but it's usually held in the beginning of August.

Official English website can be found at http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/e/index.html

kiratsukai
03-12-2010, 04:55 AM
So it's a beauty pageant for cosplayers? O-o;;;

karlonne
03-12-2010, 08:18 AM
WCS = World Cosplay Summit

I think it is too late to join as a participant in the competition and I am not sure if there is even a representative from the Philippines, however, anyone can participate in the parade that they hold before the competition. I don't think they have announced a date for 2010 but it's usually held in the beginning of August.

Official English website can be found at http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/e/index.html

thanks for the information ^_^

kiratsukai = nope its more than just that, its a world cosplay competition for all cosplayers around the world ^_^

is thats the case well i can just join the parade as for a try!

if there will be an opportunity i would really join... too bad maybe i was really late for it cause nobody informs me about the next event and registration

i was really hoping for someone who could lend me a hand unfortunately i might be fooled by others...

thank you so much

maybe ill try some cosplay events in other asian countries or western countries if there is!...

wish to cosplay around the world for once in my life ^_^

cactusmomma
03-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Essentially, yes. It's a show that TV Aichi puts on every year.. but I'd call it more of a casting call than a competition. Sure, there's prizes and folks are flown in from around the world, but it's nothing that's shown past Aichi.

karlonne: From their blogs and updates, the WCS isn't taking any new countries. So, the Philippines will not be sending anyone this year as you must live in the country you're competing for. (Last year's list: Australia, Brazil, China, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Singapore, Thailand, United States) Maybe you can push for an application with your local conventions for next year.

karlonne
03-13-2010, 09:08 AM
thank you for the information again, sure ill might try to compete for 2011 next year ^_^

hope it not too late for me, to bad ive just saved enough budget and costume for that event looks like i might work on a new one right now for that event ^_^

Gasei
03-14-2010, 12:31 PM

and I agree with cactusmomma' idea. Basically, WCS is not an either anime convention nor pure cosplay event.
I remember I once told they are doing all for their TV program. Also, I heard one anime convention was told to send more "idol" cosplayers who are more appealing figures for their representatives. I always hope this attitude will change before long, or Japanese cosplay culture will be considered to be something trifling.
I consider, however, WCS has been playing a big role in getting social understanding about cosplay culture. TV Aichi (the administrator of WCS) does good job in giving good impression about cosplay. It is why I still support WCS.

Anyways, unfortunately, they are not likely to take some representatives from Philippine. They are not a professional cosplay event organizer and they do not have enough time and establishment to accept any more representatives. However, if you are staying or living in Japan, you might be able to try Japan preliminary. They have not held Japan preliminary yet.

Ah BTW, I am not a staff of WCS or anything like that. I am just helping out some people who I can be a help for. Even though I had another appointment last year and I could not meet in the event, but I am likely to be able to join WCS events the year. If you have any question you do nto feel like asking on the BBS, you can PM me.

karlonne
03-16-2010, 08:21 AM
and I agree with cactusmomma' idea. Basically, WCS is not an either anime convention nor pure cosplay event.
I remember I once told they are doing all for their TV program. Also, I heard one anime convention was told to send more "idol" cosplayers who are more appealing figures for their representatives. I always hope this attitude will change before long, or Japanese cosplay culture will be considered to be something trifling.
I consider, however, WCS has been playing a big role in getting social understanding about cosplay culture. TV Aichi (the administrator of WCS) does good job in giving good impression about cosplay. It is why I still support WCS.

Anyways, unfortunately, they are not likely to take some representatives from Philippine. They are not a professional cosplay event organizer and they do not have enough time and establishment to accept any more representatives. However, if you are staying or living in Japan, you might be able to try Japan preliminary. They have not held Japan preliminary yet.

Ah BTW, I am not a staff of WCS or anything like that. I am just helping out some people who I can be a help for. Even though I had another appointment last year and I could not meet in the event, but I am likely to be able to join WCS events the year. If you have any question you do nto feel like asking on the BBS, you can PM me.

so you mean i have to stay in japan and live there? but the reason why i want to join is to experience joining in that event while im taking my vacation is that right?

Gasei
03-17-2010, 12:44 AM
so you mean i have to stay in japan and live there? but the reason why i want to join is to experience joining in that event while im taking my vacation is that right?

If you are not entering to the contest, you do not have to worry. As far as you can understand "event" Japanese and some Japanese English, you can go to the venue and watch the final.
But, if you want to enter the contest, Japan preliminary seems to be your only chance to do so. In that case, you have more to deal with; such as that you have to survive without translator or any other language support.

I could not see what you mean by "join", and it seems that I confuse you a bit.

karlonne
03-19-2010, 09:28 AM
If you are not entering to the contest, you do not have to worry. As far as you can understand "event" Japanese and some Japanese English, you can go to the venue and watch the final.
But, if you want to enter the contest, Japan preliminary seems to be your only chance to do so. In that case, you have more to deal with; such as that you have to survive without translator or any other language support.

I could not see what you mean by "join", and it seems that I confuse you a bit.

i understand what you are saying that i should really learn speaking their language in order for me to survive, but according to teh rules it can be "ENGLISH or JAPANESE" but i have a Jap-Filipino friend who grew up there and work here in the philippines he would be doing the talk all the way, i might be working on the costumes but actually i just want to join thats all.

if thats the case i would probably study from him...

thanks for the information

Gasei
03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I still do not know what you mean by "join". Also, I am quite not sure what you meant to say by "ENGLISH or JAPANESE rule".

I meant to say that if you would like to enter the contest, you need to be able to use Japanese well enough to be able to survive without any language support from TVA.

I have seen even some guests (not contestants but WCS's honor guests) did not get any language support and were having hard time. If you go to WCS as a representative of some other country, you might get some support, but if you are to go to WCS as one audience or one contestant of Japan preliminary, I do not think they are ready to provide language support for you.

If you just mean to say that you want to watch the contest in the venue, all you need is to be able to understand some Japanese-English.

If you have already seen what I mean, it is cool. I just am not sure if you understood my post without confusion or not. ^_^

karlonne
03-20-2010, 11:22 PM
ok to make it clear for you...

i just want to join in WCS thats all

if i need to speak in japanese my friend will do it for me.... (cause he will translate it anyway)

i dont care if i will have to learn japanese language all i need is to compete and join

i really understand you, its just your very redundant to the question and ive already given you my answer

mixaka
03-21-2010, 01:37 AM
I think you are both a bit confused. And karlonne, I am not sure if you fully understand how the competition works.

If you just want to watch the WCS competition and join the parade the day before, then you are fine and will have no problems. If you actually want to be in the WCS competition and be on TV and win prizes and stuff, it is impossible. The WCS is not an event you can come to Japan and join. First, you must win a qualifying competition in your home country and if you win that event, the TV station hosting the event will fly your team to Japan to compete in the WCS and take care of things for you. Right now there are no qualifying competitions in the Philippines. An established cosplay or anime event in your home country would have to apply to hold a qualifying event before you would even get the chance to join the competition. It sucks, but those are the rules. You can't just say I want to join and then join.

karlonne, you live in the Philippines right? not in Japan? Gasei seems to think you live in Japan, and if you did, you might be able to enter the competition as one of the participants representing Japan. Just like any other country, first you would have to win the qualifying competition in Japan to be able to compete in the WCS and doing that would require decent Japanese skills. But if you don't live in Japan, it doesn't matter because you would not be able to join the qualifying competition and thus would not be able to enter the WCS competition.

I hope this makes things clear. Basically, if you live in the Philippines, you cannot join the WCS competition. You can watch the competition and walk in the parade, but that is all you can do.

karlonne
03-21-2010, 02:57 AM
I think you are both a bit confused. And karlonne, I am not sure if you fully understand how the competition works.

If you just want to watch the WCS competition and join the parade the day before, then you are fine and will have no problems. If you actually want to be in the WCS competition and be on TV and win prizes and stuff, it is impossible. The WCS is not an event you can come to Japan and join. First, you must win a qualifying competition in your home country and if you win that event, the TV station hosting the event will fly your team to Japan to compete in the WCS and take care of things for you. Right now there are no qualifying competitions in the Philippines. An established cosplay or anime event in your home country would have to apply to hold a qualifying event before you would even get the chance to join the competition. It sucks, but those are the rules. You can't just say I want to join and then join.

karlonne, you live in the Philippines right? not in Japan? Gasei seems to think you live in Japan, and if you did, you might be able to enter the competition as one of the participants representing Japan. Just like any other country, first you would have to win the qualifying competition in Japan to be able to compete in the WCS and doing that would require decent Japanese skills. But if you don't live in Japan, it doesn't matter because you would not be able to join the qualifying competition and thus would not be able to enter the WCS competition.

I hope this makes things clear. Basically, if you live in the Philippines, you cannot join the WCS competition. You can watch the competition and walk in the parade, but that is all you can do.

now thats clear enough... thankyou honestly im not that too desparate to join and im not in a hurry, though i just want to experience cosplaying in that event

ok look like ill have to compete again in my local country for a national cosplay here (hope they would held again for the 3rd time) though ive been competing and won once in the nationals but that was the time my country hadnt yet opened a category for the WCS in our country... if thats the case i would probably representing other countries it that would really happen

thankyou for your clear explanation...

yes i live in the philippines and cosplaying for 10yrs and i just got this letter of invitation from a japanese guy (my friend) to compete in the WCS last 2008 but unfoprtunately i wasnt able to join due to funds, though right now im really ready for it seems that it would be very hard for me to represent my country though my country wont be able to register for the WCS this year... so im hoping to have some help in other countries and cosplayers who had experienced cosplaying in the said event

if i have to compete in the national cosplays in the other countries such as (japan, Canada in which some of my relatives live there) i would probably and honorably represent the country.

thus thanks again for that i hope to hear more infos about this event cause i really want to know more about this event ^_^

Gasei
03-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Thank you for your comment. I hope karlonne now understand what we meant to say.

> karlonne. I am not sure what you mean by "experience cosplaying in WCS". If you were ever to come to join some side events of WCS to see how cosplay events are in Japan, you have to remember WCS events are very exceptional as a Japanese cosplay events. It is another story and I will not discuss it now. I hope you will have some chance to enter the contest again.

karlonne
03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
gasei = thanks dude...no worries even though we had a hard time undertanding each others part

question... let just say if my country held a national cosplay and opened a category in WCS then i had won and compete for WCS....would i still need to learn japanese language?

mixaka
03-23-2010, 10:03 AM
No.

But when you travel it's always good to know a little bit of the native language, even if you don't need to know it.

karlonne
03-27-2010, 08:41 AM
No.

But when you travel it's always good to know a little bit of the native language, even if you don't need to know it.

thanks ill keep that in mind... thanks for everybody's ideas maybe ill try to start cosplaying in japan but not in WCS yet, i might be able to know some ideas in that country's cosplay field

coslenses
04-02-2010, 05:39 PM
karlonne: You may wish to approach the top/most active cosplay association in your country and suggest/ask them about introducing a WCS competition, because currently I do observe quite some amounts of good phillipines cosplayers on DA.

karlonne
04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
karlonne: You may wish to approach the top/most active cosplay association in your country and suggest/ask them about introducing a WCS competition, because currently I do observe quite some amounts of good phillipines cosplayers on DA.

ive tried that but i dont know if they could make another one this year.... for 3rd time

about DA...yeap! there are some filipino cspoplayers there but i hope to see one in WCS in which im really be happy with it ^_^

uptil
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Someone out from Japan is coming to wcs?

Gasei
04-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Someone out from Japan is coming to wcs?

I am planning to go to WCS this year, but I am thinking of entering the contest.
So, I I ever end up going to the final, I cannot hung out with other people on that day.
Otherwise, I will just go as a cosplayer and we can meet up somewhere.

karlonne
04-24-2010, 08:12 AM
I am planning to go to WCS this year, but I am thinking of entering the contest.
So, I I ever end up going to the final, I cannot hung out with other people on that day.
Otherwise, I will just go as a cosplayer and we can meet up somewhere.

ooooh >.<

oh i wish i could see you guys there... i hope i could make it even though i may not going to join but i hope to see you all too

Gasei
04-24-2010, 10:50 AM
ooooh >.<

oh i wish i could see you guys there... i hope i could make it even though i may not going to join but i hope to see you all too

Thanks for your warm message. The problem is I have not finished the costume I am planning to enter with. ww

uptil
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
So let's meet everyone one more time. Last year was very fun talking with people that I even can't understand what they saying!

karlonne
04-25-2010, 01:35 AM
 Thanks for your warm message. The problem is I have not finished the costume I am planning to enter with. ww

may i pls know what costume (just a hint)...

i know you can finish it on time dude...

Gasei
04-25-2010, 06:00 AM
So let's meet everyone one more time. Last year was very fun talking with people that I even can't understand what they saying!

Yes that sounds great idea. I heard some people met up there last year and I regret I could not be there.

may i pls know what costume (just a hint)...

i know you can finish it on time dude...

ww I am planning to make Karas. I made a couple of years ago to enter WCS. I passed the first audition, but I could not go to the second audition because of bad weather, so I have been thinking I can try it again. Of course, I will make again so that it looks better than the last one.

karlonne
04-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes that sounds great idea. I heard some people met up there last year and I regret I could not be there.

ww I am planning to make Karas. I made a couple of years ago to enter WCS. I passed the first audition, but I could not go to the second audition because of bad weather, so I have been thinking I can try it again. Of course, I will make again so that it looks better than the last one.

KARAS? awesome... btw which karas? the bad or the good one in the movie? i love the bad one but it doesnt seem to see any difference to the real karas

anyway... same here my first entry was FREEDOM GUNDAM and PROVIDENCE GUNDAM of gundam seed... too bad i ran out of financial budget and i hadnt prepared my papers before i got the mail from the WCS...

oh i wish to join soon and to cosplay with you all

kiratsukai
06-25-2010, 04:18 AM
The parade now has a date and time set ~ I know a lot of people here were thinking of checking it out.

WCS ~ Osu Cosplay Parade
http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/2010/e/index.php
July 31, Aichi @15:30

Gasei
06-26-2010, 07:18 AM
 As some of you are checking the official web page of TV Aichi (the organizer of WCS), I think many of you know their change of the regulations for the cosplayers participating or watching the parade or the final.

Apparently, they finally has decided to organized the event more like other Japanese cosplay events.

Here is a summary of the change.

For the parade.
・The cosplayers participating the parade have to register via web page of TV Aich in advance. (the registration is not open yet, and the due date is not announced yet)
・The cosplayers have to pay 500yen on the day by cash to register (including hte use of the changing room).
・300 copslayers in total.
・Only the cosplayers who have registered and changed in the changing room are allowed to participate in the parade.
・The changing room is closed during the parade.
・You can watch the parade even if you are rejected from the registration as non cosplayer.
・The detail of the changing room is announced when you receive the admittance mail.

For the final
(mostly the same as the parade)
・(This was the same as last year)In order to secure the seat for auditing the final, you have to register and pay the fee in advance.
・They do not accept the registration from overseas.
・The registration is not open yet and detail will be announced later.

Here is the link http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/2010/news/?p=500

Last year, many cosplayers got angry for the auditing fee saying TV Aich is making money for showing other cosplayers, but it seems that TV Aich has not changed their mind.
Also, it seems that they will net get enough English speaker to handle a cosplayers from overseas. ww

Anyways. I am thinking of going this year. It will be better to book some hotel before it gets too late.

Again if you have any question, you can PM or e-mail me. I guess some of you will have some trouble in registration, in that case .... (cough cough) I got some comment because I did too much regardless of I am not a their official volunteer.

Gasei
06-26-2010, 07:39 AM
KARAS? awesome... btw which karas? the bad or the good one in the movie? i love the bad one but it doesnt seem to see any difference to the real karas

anyway... same here my first entry was FREEDOM GUNDAM and PROVIDENCE GUNDAM of gundam seed... too bad i ran out of financial budget and i hadnt prepared my papers before i got the mail from the WCS...

oh i wish to join soon and to cosplay with you all

I remember I have not replied your comment. I have been very busy in new school.

When they announced the schedule of Japan pre, I found my teammate cannot attend the Japan preliminary even though we are very likely to pass the first audition. Also, I found I will not have very much time after the summer break starts.

It is why we decided not to enter WCS this year. I really regret it. I was looking forward making good match with Korea representatives who made very similar costume.

I ,however, will be able to go to watch the final this year.

TheVampireNeko
07-02-2010, 07:29 AM
I might go watch the parade. I don't live very far from Nagoya. Heck, if I finish my costume I may participate in the parade, if I can understand the registration.

I look forward to meeting everyone there! <3

Gasei
07-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I just let you know the seat reservation for the championship is open now.
It is 1500 JPY.

They say they will open till 7/22

karuka ikashi
07-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I'd like to see the parade! Have they posted what time it'll be? Sorry if I missed it. I wonder if casual cosplay is okay. I'd like to dress up, but I'm not sure I'd make it into the parade. D:

Gasei
07-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I'd like to see the parade! Have they posted what time it'll be? Sorry if I missed it. I wonder if casual cosplay is okay. I'd like to dress up, but I'm not sure I'd make it into the parade. D:

As far as I know, they have not yet. I think they will post these detail very late as usual.

I am not quite sure what you meant by "casual cosplay".
I believe many cosplayers in the world are confused, but cosplaying in public area is not allowed in Japan.
WCS is very different, but they still require registration to join the parade.

kiratsukai
07-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I'd like to see the parade! Have they posted what time it'll be?

The parade is at 3:30

Gasei
07-05-2010, 02:08 PM
The parade is at 3:30

I am not as free as many other people and I have not realized they have updated the official page till now.

Yes, they say the parade starts at 3:30.

Unfortunately, the preregistration for the cosplay attendance for the parade is full now.
I have not realized it till I am back from work and I missed the registration either.

However, the registration for the seat for the championship and the cosplay registration for 8/1 is still open.

Gasei
07-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Since I completed the registration, I booked a hotel room which allows me to stay with another person.
(It is not very common for Japanese high grade hotel, but happens in some cheaper hotel. They just changes the fee)

So, now, I am looking for a roommate.

I am a 26 years-old male. Biologically Japanese (born in Nagoya ).
I do not smoke nor drink, but I do not mind other's drinking as far as it is in reasonable extent.
I will check in on 7/30 and if you wish I can take you to some sight seeing in Nagoya.
Also, I am in Tokyo now, and if you are planning to leave on 7/30, I can pick you up on the way to Nagoya.

The room condition is the following.
The cost will be 3250 JPY a night including warm breakfast.
The reservation is from afternoon on 7/30 to the morning on 8/2.
If I am not lucky, the room will have one bed, so one will sleep on the floor.
The hotel locates in front of Nagoya Tower, which is in front of the venue of championship.

If you are interested in this deal, feel free to PM me.

TheVampireNeko
07-10-2010, 10:20 AM
That's too bad the registration is over. Oh well, I can still watch right?

Is gothic lolita considered cosplay? I've got a Body Line dress that I'd LOVE to wear to watch the parade, but I don't want to get in trouble or anything. I know that they don't allow public cosplay here.

Gasei
07-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Just some new update made yesterday.

・They announced the teams which won the first audition.
・The Japan Preliminary will be held on 8/1 from 1630 to 1730 in Sunshine Sakae.
・The entrance fee for the pre is 1000JPY. The detail will be announced later.
http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/2010/news/?p=615

・50 more cosplayers will be able to join the parade.
・The new additional registration for the parade is open on 7/20 from 1000 in JST(Japan time)

http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/2010/news/?p=603

Gasei
07-10-2010, 12:40 PM
That's too bad the registration is over. Oh well, I can still watch right?

Is gothic lolita considered cosplay? I've got a Body Line dress that I'd LOVE to wear to watch the parade, but I don't want to get in trouble or anything. I know that they don't allow public cosplay here.

Yes, you can watch both Parade and the championship without registration.
However, we have some chance to register for the parade.

Hmm, Gothic Lolita is little hard to tell. It is considered as one fashion in many cases, but if you ware in a cosplay event, it may be considered as cosplay.

I think Gothic Lolita is OK, but I cannot say for sure that you will not get into any trouble in that fashion.

kiratsukai
07-10-2010, 11:40 PM

Lolita is regular clothing. As long as you don't go overboard with wigs or props/accessories or deliberately copy a character ~ you'll be 100% fine. I doubt anyone would actually confront you about showing up in just about anything (including cosplay)... most likely you would just be considered rude and discussed behind your back by those who took issue.

I have lolitas show up at my podunk country festivals and have one friend with four tattoos, guaged holes in his ears, nose, tongue and lip piercings working in the city office... no one in a city as large as Aichi will mistake you for a cosplayer for outlandish fashion.

TheVampireNeko
07-11-2010, 05:49 AM
No, I won't be going as far as wigs and props and whatnot. Just a cute WaLoli dress. (http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/yukatawarehouse/Bodyline/Waloli-Butterfly.jpg) I don't even have a petticoat for it. XD

Wow! The registration is going to open again? Well, I might just try to register for the parade then. If my wig gets here on time that is. ^_^

kiratsukai
07-11-2010, 07:37 AM
No, I won't be going as far as wigs and props and whatnot. Just a cute WaLoli dress. (http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/yukatawarehouse/Bodyline/Waloli-Butterfly.jpg) I don't even have a petticoat for it. XD

You'll be fine.

uptil
07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Hello everyone, It's been a while.
I won't be able to participe in the parade (07/31) but I will be in the tournament (08/01), there's a friend of mine coming from Osaka, and some another friends who lives near.
Everyone would like to meet up in the day? We're foreigners but there will japanese too(I think), I can't speak English so much but my friend can.
So what You think about?

Toshiro-sama
07-16-2010, 05:31 AM
hey thanks for the info about the WCS so i should waint until 7- 20 for register.

Toshiro-sama
07-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Just some new update made yesterday.

・They announced the teams which won the first audition.
・The Japan Preliminary will be held on 8/1 from 1630 to 1730 in Sunshine Sakae.
・The entrance fee for the pre is 1000JPY. The detail will be announced later.
http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/2010/news/?p=615

・50 more cosplayers will be able to join the parade.
・The new additional registration for the parade is open on 7/20 from 1000 in JST(Japan time)

http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/2010/news/?p=603
Hey man!!!
did you could register to the parede??
good luck!!

Gasei
07-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Hey man!!!
did you could register to the parede??
good luck!!

I have been busy with my work and have not realized your post.

Unfortunately, I could not.
When I got back from work and checked the page, it was already full. ;;
It is sad that I cannot join you on 7/31.

I could register for 8/1, so I have been not very unlucky.

kuramasan
07-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not going to go in person but I can't figure out what station it's on.
I don't have any sort of cable in my room so I'm not sure if I even have the channel it will be aired on.
I actually can't figure out the names of any of the channels I watch.
I just identify them by show.
As in Charo and Friends and that British dude who's trying to teach me English station and Good comedian who comes on most weekdays at 10pm and introduced me to the childrens book Otoutou no Oppai station.

Sarmander
07-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Gosh, I wish I knew about all thia a lot sooner. As luck would have it, I'll be taking a holiday in Japan while the WCS is on! However, I only found out about it a couple of days ago, and only now do I know that we had to register to attend the parade...this makes me very sad. T^T I'll still be going, though, and I still want to cosplay! Sorry if this question has been answered before but is it okay to cosplay even if you haven't registered? I mean, just as a bystander? And are many other people here going? I should have some fellow Brits with me but it would be nice to meet more people. ^_^ If I'm allowed, I'll be dressed as England from Hetalia. (Don't worry, NOT in a military uniform. I'd like to think of myself as a more sensitive fan,not the type who go around doing daft things like humping flags! ^_^;; )

TheVampireNeko
07-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Sarmander, sadly, Japan isn't as open to random people cosplaying as other countries are. If you didn't register for WCS, you can't cosplay. Period. They are very strict about it. T-T

kiratsukai
07-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Potentially of interest to the contestants ~ a photo of three of the teams (including Team USA) with the event organizer was on my bigglobe homepage :P

http://news.biglobe.ne.jp/entertainment/050/mai_100728_0509879384.html?T1S

Gasei
07-29-2010, 05:57 AM
I have been busy this week and I regret I could not update some info.
I am hosting a table in Comiket this summer and I was finishing up my fan comic. ww

While I was out, there have been many announcements. Fortunately, most of the info there is put on English page and you will not have major trouble getting info.

There seems to be some info missing on English page.
http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/2010/news/?p=756

"Sunshine Sakae" is open for the cosplayers who will cosplay IN the building.

It is a building across the big street from the venue of the championship
(You will see a big wheel from the venue.).
They allow people to cosplay 7/28 through 8/20.
Cosplayers will get some discount in various stores and shops.
including free ride of the wheel.
Also they will hold a photo contest. There will be two categories
(I will not put the detail of the contest now)
The changing room will be on the second floor from 1100 to 2300.
You are not allowed to use their changing room to attend WCS events.
(I know someone is instigating something related to breaking some inconvenient policy in Japanese events in another thread, but in order not to repeat bad history about international cosplay culture, I really want you to keep rules in an event.
I am no longer young enough to spend a lot of time to clear up misunderstanding caused by certain bad cosplayers.)

As for the date line, there are some info missing in English page.
There will be another WCS event in Chubu airport on 7/30.
You can cosplay in the certain area in the airport from 1500 to 2000.
You will not need the registration for cosplaying.
The changing room will be open from 1400 to 2100.
There will be mini stage from 1630 to 1700
The representatives will parade the open area from 1700 to 1730
There will be a sociable 1800 to 2000, but the registration for the party has finished.

It seems that they finally decided to put the complete lists of the policies in English.
It has been 4 years since I mentioned this problems. now people do not need to rely on my poor translation for the policies in my blog.
Anyways, some policies (such as "no photo with a store back" rule) are easy ti forget, but please do not break the rules on purpose. I do not like to see Japanese cosplay culture is misunderstood again.

I hope we all can enjoy this great opportunity to know each other with cosplayers from all over the world.

kiratsukai
07-29-2010, 06:09 AM
We can't police the world, Gasei. We can only tell them the truth and encourage them to police themselves.

I'm not "instigating" anything but that people make a decision about their own behavior based on their own common-sense and conscience.

The reality is that a good lot of the cosplayers we interact with every day on this board don't follow the rules, for whatever reason (not knowing, not caring, not being able to navigate the procedure laid out in the rules...). It isn't as easy to meld into Japanese cosplay culture when you can't speak Japanese well or are only here for a short time. Judging those people accomplishes nothing in terms of getting them to follow those rules. Telling them what they need to know in terms of why and how might.

We can only improve the international community's perception of foreign cosplayers through our own actions. Everyone's got to worry about themselves.

Gasei
07-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Oh by the way, how is the plan of meeting up going?

I will leave Tokyo tonight (early morning tomorrow), and I do not know how long I can keep checking this thread, but I might have internet connection in Nagoya.

Also, the weather forecast says it will be 37℃ (100F) in Nagoya on 8/1. please do not get heat stroke.
I ended up taking a cosplayer form another country to the rest area because of the heat shock. I am on vacation and I hope I will not end up rescuing someone. haha

We can't police the world, Gasei. We can only tell them the truth and encourage them to police themselves.

The reality is that a good lot of the cosplayers we interact with every day on this board don't follow the rules, for whatever reason (not knowing, not caring, not being able to navigate the procedure laid out in the rules...).

We can only improve the international community's perception of foreign cosplayers through our own actions. Everyone's got to worry about themselves.

I know it is very important to know the reality, and I do not meant to police a world.
We are both trying to make Japanese cosplay culture better, but it looks you are telling bad cases little too much.

I can tell many people in the threads here are not very familiar with Japanese event and it is hard to tell the reality well. Also, WCS is very very exceptional event and it causes another toughness to explain. Even a Japanese cosplayers who is more familiar with general cosplay events in Japan will have hard time finding common sense in WCS.

In that situation, I doubt it benefits well to show the cases of few bad cosplayers.
As you know, many people here are not as good at Japanese as us, and our post can be the only source of some information. I think it is better not to give the impression that there are a lot of bad cosplyers.

While I am in a Japanese thread, I will share many detail of my experience, such as that I have changed in a bath room with the direction from TV-Aichi, that I have gotten almost kicked out of WCS by involving in an argument between a foreign cosplayers and a peeping photographer, and so on, but I still say it is very rare case and it is never a "good lot of cosplayers" thing. I know these information will confuse beginners.

Also, if you see "good lot of cosplayers" do not follow the rules in an event, it is time to give up attending the event. I still believe most of the cosplayers follow the lures and the number of the cosplayers who do not is not significant enough.

I do not know if you are a Japanese or not, but I can tell you have a lot of experience in Japan. I doubt some experience is to be shared in some cases to improve the cosplay culture here.

kiratsukai
07-29-2010, 09:43 AM
I do not know if you are a Japanese or not, but I can tell you have a lot of experience in Japan. I doubt some experience is to be shared in some cases to improve the cosplay culture here.  

I respectfully disagree. Encouraging good behavior is always a nice policy. But when good behavior is more difficult than bad behavior ~ people will break the rules, reguardless. I don't say this lightly. I too am a stickler for rules and can be easily frustrated when others don't follow them. But I've also attended many events where foreign cosplayers avoid the changing procedure because it's difficult or embarassing for them with limited Japanese skills. I've met people on the street in costume for no reason at all and have had fun interactions with them.

All of them have their own reasons. Many of them are decent, understandable reasons.

I am not encouraging people to skirt the rules. I am telling them the truth: some people do and that it looks bad. But if they're going to do it, they ought to do it in the way that will cause the least trouble and attract the least attention.

I don't break rules if I can help it. But people need to be less judgemental all around when dealing with issues of international understanding. We have our own cosplay culture to share -- and when misunderstandings arise, we ought to help people talk about them. Not just waggle our fingers.

I am American. But I don't represent all of America. I've lived in Japan for 6 years... but I can't speak for all of Japan. I can only hope that in following the rules, I make a good impression on others and that we can all enjoy ourselves together. But if I see people struggling with those rules or breaking them without knowing, I'm not going to worry too much. It's an inevitable part of existing in a culture that isn't your own.

In any case ~ I think my opinion was very much like yours until meeting some of the people on this site and coming to know them. I'm no longer comfortable with the conclusion that those who don't follow the rules are simply inconsiderate or bad people. Some of them are not either. They just don't know what else to do.

I follow the rules.
I hope others will, too.
But I know some won't... and those people should know what to expect, too.

(I think perhaps there is a slight language barrier causing some of my remarks in the other thread to be taken out of context. My advice to use a restroom, for instance... was not as an alternative to the changing room. I suggested the restroom over arriving in a costume, since it would attract less attention. As for a "good lot of cosplayers here"... I mean a good lot of cosplayers on this board, not in Japan as a whole. I've met a handful of cosplayers on this board and know at least four who attended Comiket last winter without using the changing room. Given how few people are on this board to begin with... and that those four cosplayers are 4 out of 5 I've ever met from cosplay.com, I think that does represent "a good lot of the cosplayers here", and even then I'm talking only about Comiket, the most crowded event there is.)

In any case: yes, everyone, please follow the rules. They're there to make the event better for everyone. But if you aren't going to, please try to break them discreetly and in a way that will bother the least people.

Gasei
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
In any case: yes, everyone, please follow the rules. They're there to make the event better for everyone. But if you aren't going to, please try to break them discreetly and in a way that will bother the least people.

I respect what you believe and will not doubt your liberty to share your idea.

First let me start with one silly thing.
Your experience of the last Comiket does tell that you are 95% sure that more than 45% of cosplayers uses restroom to change, but they are all those who you know.
Roughly, I can say they are all the people who is biased by you, who justify breaking the rules.
Unfortunately, it is not a valid evidence to show that significantly many cosplayers change in a restroom.

I know it is not your point.
I think you are sympathetic to the cosplayers who has not accustomed to Japanese cosplay culture.
It is understandable to some extent, but it is not a true intercultural communication.
It is not the attitude to show the respect to another culture.
I do not believe one respect a culture while saying practicing the custom is embarrassing.

Also, I have met many cosplayers from other countries as well. As you can guess I always encourage them to follow the custom in the place where you are.
I have seen many people making effort and struggling with getting accustomed to new culture. By justifying the people who do not follow a custom, you make their effort to learn a culture a foolish thing. I want to justify the effort to learn new custom.

Also, your idea will go against all the effort of the cosplayers in the history of Japanese cosplay who have been trying to get social consent.
In order to get as much consensus about cosplay as it has now, people have made enormous effort. Keeping social norm is one thing. Without them, cosplay would have been considered as antisocial and unhealthy hobby and we cannot enjoy cosplay this much.
(If you check the history of WCS, you can see how hard time they had before being able to hold a cosplay event in public area. In that sense, I respect their job.)

As you have realized, I am a Japanese, but have lived in the US and have attended many cons in the US. I understand the importance of sharing your idea, or rather your duty to other cosplayers from your country. But it looks you are not experienced enough to do so this much. Have you think of the other way?
I still remember how I feel embarrassed when attending my first con in the US. I felt it is very uncomfortable to go to the convention from the hotel in my costume. (I am in a generation who knows the time when cosplay is considered to be an anti-social hobby in Japan.)
If you see a person who says that many cosplayers feel that way and have seen many people changing in the corner of a dealers hall (for instance), how do you feel?
Yes, I have seen some people changing in a convention hall. I do not say it is "many people" even if I know most of them because it is biased "many".

I know more and more Japanese cosplayers are attending the cons in the US, but how many of them have you seen changing in a convention hall? Very small number I think.

It is same as cosplaying in public. Many Japanese feel uncomfortable to see people cosplaying in front of them. In this sense, WCS is exceptional. A cosplayer is the person who have understood it is just one hobby, but you still need to remember many people refuse to admit cosplay is an healthy hobby. It is very forgettable because they will never show up in any event which has something to do with cosplay.
Cosplaying in public is the behavior to force them to see what they do not like to see.
You have to respect their right not to see what they do not like to.

As you can see, understanding a culture is very hard. I personally do not like to see people mention cultural communication lightly.

If you feel it is beneficial for this thread to keep this discussion to show what real cultural communication is, go ahead to reply this post.
If you feel it is not very beneficial to keep this argument for this thread, you can just ignore this post. I will still say I have enjoyed the discussion with you. It is one way to broaden my view to hear others idea.

(ah, I apologize for putting a long post. )

kiratsukai
07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
At this point I will say only this:

I've worked pretty hard and have contributed a lot of my free time to communicate good cosplay manners in Japan to the people on this board through translations and discussion. I follow the rules myself and try to set a good example. What I try not to do is pass judgement on those who don't value the rules the same way I do before I know where they're coming from.

The people I have met breaking the changing-rules were breaking the rules without any influence from me. I had only just met them... it seems unlikely they were following my example in any sense.

I still get a flash of annoyance over seeing a costume worn in public, but I no longer treat others coldly or jump to conclusions on account of it. I know that people all make their own decisions and that bad decisions ought not reflect everyone of their race, nationality or common-interests. And while it's very impolite to break rules, in my mind, it's even more impolite to spend your day complaining about those who have. It's not my business if one of the two Japanese members of my group decide to change in the restroom... I don't know them well and I'm in no position to lecture them about their own culture. It's not my responsibility if foreign tourists wear cosplay in Akihabara or if attendees to Comiket skip the line.

Everyone here on coscom should have access to the information they need to decide for themselves how they will attend the events they want to. They're grown ups who can decide their own actions. If someone wants to extend a judgement about bad behavior to my entire nationality or skin color based on the actions of a few -- their own attitude borders on racism and is worth re-examining. People looking for something to dislike about foreigners will find it. And while I hate to give them any more ammunition... I don't live my life in fear that they will judge me.

My only "responsibility" to the international cosplay community is one I've taken on myself. I'd like to make sure everyone knows the rules... and in a lesser part, I'd like to promote understanding of cultural differences in general.

I still think you have read too much into my comments regaurding Comiket... but I can't tell you how to interpret what you read.

That said, please don't pin the behavior of the entire foreign cosplay world on me. I'm a newbie who is doing my best. Events in another country are stressful as it is without the specter of judgement from people in the same boat or the burden of your entire race's reputation to carry. I prefer to leave the rule enforcement to event staff and enjoy myself.

But if people ask me a question... I'll answer it as honestly as I can.

Your experience and mine are not the same. Comiket and WCS are not the same. And you and I may not have exactly the same idea of etiquette that anyone else in this community has. I agree that if we look for the bad, we'll find it. I'm suggesting we stop looking for others' mistakes and worry about our own as individuals.

Because in the end, the only person your behavior should really reflect on (for good or bad) is you. I am not the den mother of coscom Japan and you aren't the father. We're just two cosplayers... with the same choices to make as all of the rest.

I didn't begin this discussion with you because I disagree with your stance that rules are important and ought to be obeyed... I began it because I was offended that you seemed to imply I was telling others not to follow the rules. If I've done that in any way, it wasn't my intent.

For the most part, I trust the rules and defend them.

Ashurachan
08-02-2010, 08:37 AM
2010 Winners : Italy. Two men, 43 and 30, not especially good-looking.
The beauty peagant accusations are getting old.

kiratsukai
08-02-2010, 11:20 AM
2010 Winners : Italy. Two men, 43 and 30, not especially good-looking.
The beauty peagant accusations are getting old.

I think the beauty pageant comments are in reference to the format of the event, not how it's judged. But in any case, it's nice to see some older cosplayers get some recognition.

Congrats to the winners.

uptil
08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I liked the champion. Italian cosplay was about zelda, Link's position was really incredible, the way he's ran, the way he's dodge, the way of position attack. I felt some Link from him.

I really liked the korean, Karas cosplay especially theier Armor and sword. Costume was perfect but the act wasn't so perfect(one of them failed when tried to do some jump)

About brazilian performance, I don't know the anime but the way that angel was in the air, I really thought for a second that the gold medal was to Brazil.

I really liked japanese perfomance too,was really funny and the way that they ran and jump was really incredible.

And I really found strange was the bronze winner, about final fantasy 7. Normally can't win with final fantasy, certainly Final Fantasy is quite hard to act, but when he heard the Aeris voice I thinked was equal to Cloud. Another one was Bahamut cosplay, that too failed. When the scene began, left wing was dropped :eek: . But they made for Bronze medal and really don't know the reason. Cloud's hair wasn't perfect, Bahamut costume was so heavy that could not move so fast, so sound of the swords wasn't synchronized.

But i really liked WCS 2010, this year I couldn't see anyone from this forum but I found some guys from facebook and orkut.
Let's have fun one more time in next year

-Edo-
08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Sorry for the bump, just wanted to thank Gasei and others for working through the Japanese side of the web page to get the information out on the WCS web page, all translation material is prioritized but clearly application for the Osu Parade needs to be up at the top as there is high demand and it fills up quick. Hope to see some of you at Comiket!

Gasei
08-25-2010, 01:21 PM
 I have been busy and I did not have a chance to write you all back sooner.

I hope all of you had good time in WCS this year.

I appreciate Kiratsukai's setting up this thread and raising active communication on the thread.
I can tell how this thread had been contributing to the cosplayers from other countries this year. I used to get a lot of PM asking for the instructions to attend WCS, but I did not get as many PM as I used to get. Many people seem to get enough info out of this thread.

karlonne
09-25-2010, 03:57 AM
wow i had post in this topic for months, wow i am really excited to watch you all in WCS

karlonne
10-26-2010, 12:49 AM
can i ask is there any updates regards to registrations for new entries in WCS?