PDA

View Full Version : Northern Anime Festival 2010

Tsukasa_1
03-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Hello Everyone,

We are pleased to announce Northern Anime Festival 2010 which will be taking place on Saturday, July 24th and Sunday July 25th 2010. Northern Anime Festival will be located at the Oshawa Campus of Durham College located at 2000 Simcoe Street North in Oshawa, Ontario. With the overwhelming response from our feedback panel we have returned to the Justice Wing and University Building where we have been located in past years.

We are excited to announce our first round of guests:

• Voice Actor Todd Haberkorn
• Voice Actor Micah Solusod
• Pianist Mark Dillon

For more information visit us online at http://www.northernanime.ca or join our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northern-Anime-Festival/13257435884?ref=mf).

See you all there!

Mekou
03-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Online registration is now open! We've lowered our prices, so now pre-registration is $20, and at-door registration is $25 for Saturday and Sunday.

http://naf.eventbrite.com/

This year we are introducing a special Friday event to get the weekend started. :D This event is FREE, but you must register to attend as seating is limited.

Mail-in registration will be available very soon.

Mekou
05-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Website has received a major rehaul, and should now have all the information you will need about NAF 2010! Programming pages will be added up slowly as they are edited. :)

http://www.northernanime.ca

Tsukune
06-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Oh than I have a question for you, how big is NAF? Like what's your turnout? Sorry for the odd question, it's just I live far away from Oshawa so if it's a really small con (less than 1000ppl) than it's not worth it for me to travel so far. No offence xD. I love cons! I'm just poor =P

KiddehKitteh
06-06-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm going to be attending, and I was wondering the same thing as well. I'm going regardless, but I wanted to know how many usually attend to see if it was worth renting a space in the Artist Alley.

Mekou
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Tsukune - Ignoring any bias I have because I am staff for the con, I always like that NAF is small because it allows for a chance to get to know people and hang out in a con setting without things being too busy and crazy. However, if big events and lots of people is what makes a con worthwhile for you, then NAF probably isn't down your alley (unless you bring lots of friends! :D). We have yet to break 300 attendees, though by the way things seem so far we might reach that mark this year.

KiddehKitteh - I think that decision is best chosen by you and what feel makes it worth it;. Tables are $25, and registration as an artist is only $15. You are allowed to split one table by up to 4 people, and tables are $25. I'm usually busy and don't make it into AA long enough to see how sales are going, but we do get a few repeat artists each year so it can't be that bad. IMO, I think it's a fair con to test the waters with.

Tsukune
06-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Tsukune - Ignoring any bias I have because I am staff for the con, I always like that NAF is small because it allows for a chance to get to know people and hang out in a con setting without things being too busy and crazy. However, if big events and lots of people is what makes a con worthwhile for you, then NAF probably isn't down your alley (unless you bring lots of friends! :D). We have yet to break 300 attendees, though by the way things seem so far we might reach that mark this year.

For me size doesn't neccasarily matter its just that as I said I would have to travel a great distance to go to the convention. With past experiences the last fews times I've travelled any distance to attend a small conventions I've found myself disatisfied. No offence! As I have not been to NAF before so I'm not trying to be judgmental. By all means I'm just stating it's unlikely for me to attend since it's a 5 hour drive for me for 2 days and only 300 people. Where as I'm more willing to drive 6 hours for 3 days and 30,000 people (Anime North) just because their is more to see and more to do, where as a small con I would have seen and done everything in a matter of hours (out of the events/panels I normally attend). Thanks for the info though by all means, and good look with your convention. =)

RoseHanabira
06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Just thought I'd mention, the link you provided (.ca) doesn't seem to be working. Have you guys changed to .org?

EDIT: Is the NAF forum also not up and running anymore?

Mekou
06-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Ack. Thank you for pointing that out! the .ca link used to redirect. I don't know what's going on with that and if expired.

But yes, northernanime.org is the one that works for sure, and I'll fix the links as I find them! Forums still work but are at northernanime.org/forums.

Edit: The issue was that the domain WAS renewed, but it didn't auto-renew and we weren't even sent a message about it expiring! But it should be fixed ASAP and all .ca links will work once again. :)

Mekou
07-12-2010, 03:29 PM
An update on the happenings of NAF!

- Our final confirmed guest is local band Cretem! Check out our full guest list (http://www.northernanime.org/guests.html) for 2010.
- Seat for the opening ceremonies have sold out. Huge thanks to everyone who reserved!
- Online pre-registration will remain open til July 20th. Pre-register now (http://www.northernanime.org/registration.html)!

Less than two weeks left until NAF 2010! :D

Shion Sonozaki
07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Just curious, going with my friends, first time going to the NAF - is there lots of merchandise there? My friends said there's usually not much, usually a lot of art and stuff made by people (which is super cool!) but there probably won't be much DVDs or anything there? Maybe posters? Just curious, cause I probably won't ask my parents for much money then other than the entrance fee.

Mekou
07-15-2010, 03:07 AM
I personally have never really gone around the Dealer's Room to look at what people have, so I can't say for certain what is usually there.

It all depends on what the dealer's decide to bring, which we don't have control over.

Otaking97
07-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Just curious, going with my friends, first time going to the NAF - is there lots of merchandise there? My friends said there's usually not much, usually a lot of art and stuff made by people (which is super cool!) but there probably won't be much DVDs or anything there? Maybe posters? Just curious, cause I probably won't ask my parents for much money then other than the entrance fee.

Last year at least I found there to be alot of items such as plushies, bags, keychains, buttons, etc. There is usually only 1 big table of DVD/Manga/Games and the rest is other goodies.

Skyeliosis
07-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Is there any places to eat near by? I'm not really familiar with that area.
Thanks ^^

Otaking97
07-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Is there any places to eat near by? I'm not really familiar with that area.
Thanks ^^

No. One of the worst issues with this con. There is a Taco Place near now though. Opened last year just across the street. If you drive of course there is plenty of options. So I've never had a problem.

Mekou
07-17-2010, 07:55 AM
There's more than just the Taco place! I know there's also subs, and maybe other things are open now? I haven't been there to look in a while though, but I know there's more than tacos. >_<

Skyeliosis
07-17-2010, 08:09 AM
There's more than just the Taco place! I know there's also subs, and maybe other things are open now? I haven't been there to look in a while though, but I know there's more than tacos. >_<

Alright thanks a bunch! Even only tacos is alright for me = w =

RoseHanabira
07-17-2010, 09:34 AM
This is where an alumni of the campus can save the day! XD

Just across the street, there is a new plaza that went up a couple of years ago. In there, there is a TD bank and a Shopper's, and for food there is a Subway and Taco Town (I've not been in Taco Town so I can't say how good it is). I'm trying to remember the other places in that plaza, but I think they are just really small businesses... I could be wrong but from what I remember those are the only two food places that are there.

The major intersection south of the school, Simcoe St N and Taunton Rd, is packed with foodstuffs. There is a McDonald's, Mary Browns, Burger King, Taco Bell, Mr. Sub, and I think a shady-looking Chinese place. The intersection however is a fair walk away. I know there are buses that go up and down Simcoe Street that leave the bus loop (the big "O" outside will be your landmark), it's not even a 5 minute bus ride and you can get off right at the intersection.

It's just a shame that the food places in the campus shut down over the summer weekends. I'd die for an Extreme Pita during the con. D:

Skyeliosis
07-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks a bunch!
I know about that intersection, I live really close near there. It's like a 10-15 minute walk from my house xD.
I really appreciate the info though. I'm just lazy and wanted to know the closest places.

EDIT; Just wondering is NAF the size of the whole DC campus? Or is there a certain area it's limited to?

Otaking97
07-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah, not the whole place. Usually a few wings. It changes now and again so I can't single it down myself.

And Taco Time is pretty awesome. :) Not as good as the Bell though. But if that cute girl still works there......

Shion Sonozaki
07-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Last year at least I found there to be alot of items such as plushies, bags, keychains, buttons, etc. There is usually only 1 big table of DVD/Manga/Games and the rest is other goodies.

Okay sweet thanks! =D I'll ask my parents for some spending money then and see what they've got! If I don't have enough for a DVD, a wall scroll if they have them or a plushie or something would be nice! =D

Me and my friends are coming Sunday, I'm seeing family Saturday so can only make it Sunday. Excited to see what kind of stuff there is and all the cosplayers!! ^^ It'll be loads of fun!

I'm so close to Durham too! I'm going to College there in September! xD I can take a bus there or get a quick drive, I'm so close!

Mekou
07-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Re: The area that the con is being held

It'll be held in the UIOT/Justice Wing, same as it has for every other year except for last year (tried a different area because it was slightly cheaper, but was a lot more hassle than it was worth to be honest).

There will be signs and people who will be waiting around the main entrance to direct people to where the con is. :) Worst comes to worst, just ask the security desk where the Justice Wing is.

Skyeliosis
07-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Oh thanks ^^

I get lost easily, so I'm glad there will be signs~

N_H_Sakura5
07-20-2010, 08:50 AM
How many cosplayers usually show up? I only near Ritson so its easy to get up there, if I choose to go (I might have to work both days), if not I wouldn't mind going to NAF in the future as I'll be a DC student next year and I also wouldn't mind selling some Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh fan Art either.

Mekou
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
The programming schedule (http://www.northernanime.org/programming.html) for this year is now available! Minor changes may happen before and/or at the con, but this is roughly what the schedule will be. :)

N_H_Sakura5 - I'd say there is always a fair amount of cosplayers. :) It used to be that nearly everyone was a cosplayer, but there are more and more "normies" coming out as well. I encourage everyone to come and cosplay at NAF! :D

box of doom
07-21-2010, 07:44 AM
As far as eating goes, there will also be a lolita café on Saturday running most of the day, serving sandwiches, dessert, and tea for $5. (Items also available individually, but all three together = $5.)

Skyeliosis
07-21-2010, 01:44 PM
oh yay!
I'm excited for the Lolita Cafe.
Does it get really full?

box of doom
07-21-2010, 10:05 PM
There are busier times and emptier times, to be honest. It's drop-in though, so you can always come back if there is a wait. ^_~

Skyeliosis
07-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Alright cool ^o^