PDA

View Full Version : Costume, Cosplay, and Hall Contest Q&A :D

LainaBug
03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Hello everyone! :D I wanted to make this thread to share information and in case anyone has questions about any of the cosplay events at METROCON 2010!

First of all I want to announce that the Costume and Cosplay contests are separate again! And for the second year in a row we are excited to return as hosts to the Yume Cosplay Prize Regional Competition in partnership with New York Anime Festival and New York Comic Con!

Information, rules, and entry forms for both contests can be found here:
2010 METROCON Costume Contest (http://www.metroconventions.com/control.cfm?ID=641)
2010 METROCON Cosplay Contest (http://www.metroconventions.com/control.cfm?ID=644)

Information about the Hall Costume Contest can be found here (http://www.metroconventions.com/control.cfm?ID=3910). (some info is still being updated, winners will be announced on Sunday after the Costume Contest not Saturday)

In addition to Sunday prejudging time slots, METROCON has now added Saturday time slots to allow more time for judging! You can choose which day works best for you!

Prejudging times will be:
Saturday 10:00am - 2:00pm Panel Room 1-2
Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm Panel Room 21

The Cosplay Booth will once again be upstairs near artists alley, hours of operation will be:
Friday: 10am – 6pm
Saturday: 10am – 5pm
Sunday: CLOSED

If you have any questions about the contest or the Yume Cosplay Prize please don't hesitate to ask! Feel free to PM me as well.

Foos
03-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I know I asked you this before, but can you enter the contest as a large group and designate just two people to be eligible for the yume prize?

LainaBug
03-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I know I asked you this before, but can you enter the contest as a large group and designate just two people to be eligible for the yume prize?

The official packet that NYAF gave us says that you must enter as a team of two to be eligible. But I can double check with them about that, because it's a really good question!

TheSurfingDonut
03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Aside from the requirements listed on the contest page, for the Yume prize, is there anything extra we have to do to compete?

Vadia
03-17-2010, 12:39 AM
So there is no points/award for following/ incorporating the theme into your costume? Wasn't that a category last year (or 2008, I remember the light and dark cosplayers)? Kinda kills any I had motivation to bother with the theme =(

Anyways thanks for putting up the link ^^

LainaBug
03-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Aside from the requirements listed on the contest page, for the Yume prize, is there anything extra we have to do to compete?

Nope! That's all the requirements, as long as you meet them then you can just mark that you wish to compete for the Yume Cosplay Prize Regional on the contest sign up sheet. There's a check box just for it :D

LainaBug
03-17-2010, 01:13 AM
So there is no points/award for following/ incorporating the theme into your costume? Wasn't that a category last year (or 2008, I remember the light and dark cosplayers)? Kinda kills any I had motivation to bother with the theme =(

Anyways thanks for putting up the link ^^

Light vs Dark was the last year there was a Best Theme award in the actual Costume Contest. There were very few entries that would actually qualify for the award, if we had gotten more entries that went along with the theme each year I'm sure it would have been kept!

But there's always an award for Best Theme in the Hall Costume Contest! :)

ktdid2000
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Are original design costumes allowed this year? I know some contests won't allow them due to the lack of reference material.

I do have a character on which my design is based, and am using those for reference when creating the costume.

LainaBug
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Are original design costumes allowed this year? I know some contests won't allow them due to the lack of reference material.

I do have a character on which my design is based, and am using those for reference when creating the costume.

Yup! You can enter an original costume in any of the costume/cosplay contests at METROCON :) There isn't a specific catagory for original costumes in the craftsmanship contest but there are no rules against original costumes entering. However, part of the judging criteria will be character likeness and accuracy so those aspects are a little bit lost with an original design. You'd just want to have a sketch of your design and your references if you did enter, as that would help!

Vadia
03-18-2010, 08:24 PM
LainaBug,

Thanks. That information really helps me plan ahead =D

LainaBug
03-22-2010, 03:44 PM

The official answer from NYAF is yes!! :D

You can enter as a larger group but only two members can win the Yume Cosplay Prize Regional. You'd definitely want to designate which two people ahead of time, then just make a note of it on your entry form and also inform the judges during prejudging.

If the winning team is chosen from your group then it wont disqualify you from winning other awards and vice versa. So for example if the judges decide your group should win something like Best Craftsmanship then your designated team can still win the Yume Prize.

LadyHeartiliy
04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Man, what i give to have a partner! I so want to compete for the Yume prize but I have no partner...;-;...*cryes*

so unfair..

GiruSniper
04-03-2010, 11:58 PM
well i think i might try and enter my orc costume into the contest just for the heck of it. too bad no one else does warhammer or id enter the yume contest also.

LainaBug
06-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Online sign ups are now open for the 2010 METROCON Costume Contest!

Visit the contest info page here (http://www.metroconventions.com/control.cfm?ID=641) to download an entry form, then simply email your entry form to cosplay@animemetro.com with “2010 Metrocon Costume Contest Registration” as the subject. You will then be given an entry number, pre-judging time, and instructions for checking in at the convention.

Feel free to include a preferred judging time frame or day in your email :) And of course let me know if you have any questions!

TheSurfingDonut
06-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I may be entering the costume contest with a dress based on a figure of my character. I'm trying to find official artwork of the dress but I can't. Will that hurt me in the judging?

Foos
06-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Surfingdonut> Nah, an action figure is just as acceptable as a piece of artwork, maybe even better because you have a 3-dimensional reference.

Braithcakes
06-16-2010, 02:20 PM
if We made our costume ourselves aside from one or two pieces, do we specify which pieces we did not make?

and if it's a generalized cosplay, do we have to have the same exact hair color as the character if it isn't a specific character?

((I'm doing the white mage artifact armor from final fantasy 11 online, but the only good reference picture I could really find has black hair, and I have brown/blonde hair.
Will it matter?))

makeshiftwings
06-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I sent in my form for the costume contest about 3 days after sign-up and I haven't gotten a pre-judging time. Is this normal?

LainaBug
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
if We made our costume ourselves aside from one or two pieces, do we specify which pieces we did not make?

and if it's a generalized cosplay, do we have to have the same exact hair color as the character if it isn't a specific character?

((I'm doing the white mage artifact armor from final fantasy 11 online, but the only good reference picture I could really find has black hair, and I have brown/blonde hair.
Will it matter?))

It's fine if there are one or two small pieces you did not make, just let the judges know or write it in the costume details section :) For something like FF11 it's totally fine to have a non-specific hair color since it's an MMO where you customize your character anyway! You could always note that in your costume details too if you want, and note it to the judges when you show your reference so that they know it's not an inaccuracy or anything like that.

I sent in my form for the costume contest about 3 days after sign-up and I haven't gotten a pre-judging time. Is this normal?

Everyone that replied to my initial email reply asking for prejudging day/time preferences has been sent an entry # and judging time at this point :) Sorry for the delay! I got a ton of entries emailed all at once and wanted to make sure everyone got the times they preferred!

AndreTheGiant
07-11-2010, 04:17 AM
man u really have to have a pair for Yume Prize.....well do u happen to know a place where we can check past contestant who tried out for the Yume Prize at MetroCon cuz it really is more based on perfromance than costumes..

NiGHTmaren
07-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Andre - The Yume qualifier is only being based on the craftsmanship costume contest at Metrocon this year. The costume contest is held on Sunday, cosplay (for skits) is Saturday. Since MetroCon is not combining the two as they have done in the past couple years and having them as separate events again, and still wanted to have the Yume qualifier for NYC, the logical choice was to pick the winners from the costume contest. The girls who qualified last year also didn't put on any kind of skit, they were a walk-on soley for craftsmanship.

nessabutterfly
07-22-2010, 02:23 AM
Okay-- I FINALLY sent of my pre-reg. I wanted to make sure I was actually going to finish these!

inuyasha14
07-22-2010, 02:43 AM
i sent in my form in a email i haven't got a entry # and a time yet