PDA

View Full Version : Where can I start?

Melchior
10-11-2002, 11:26 PM
Ok, so I have a few costumes worn, but neither of them I really did any sewing on. I bought materials and provided reference drawings and pictures, but that was pretty much the limitation of my involvement.

But now I'd like to start saving a bit of money and start working on my own costumes. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start as far as learning to sew, make or alter patterns, or any of that other fun stuff. My mom has a sewing machine, but I doubt she'll let me anywhere near it. So my question to all of you is, where can I start?

I'd like to make something for all my time, but I don't think I am ready for the complicated stuff yet. I wanna eventually make an awesome Sesshou-Maru costume, but I dont want to try and fail at that several times. So I need the following:

- Advice on where to start in learning to sew and stuff.
- Possible SIMPLE costumes I could make with little skill that would teach me things I need to know for more complicated things.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Koumori
10-11-2002, 11:55 PM
I hate to say it, but the best teacher is experience. Pick a few very simple outfits to start with - rectangular shapes and straight seams are good for getting your confidence up. Japanese or Chinese-style martial arts outfits and robes are usually good for that. As with everything, the important thing is to learn by doing. Start small, take it slow, and learn something from everything you do!

Shima-Mizu
10-13-2002, 07:21 PM
yeah, practice makes perfect, and as they say, you learn from your mistakes...and you'll make plenty, therefore learn plenty!

ReiChan
10-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Get jo momma to teach you, if she's good at it herself. Decide on a relatively simple costume, then sew it yourself using your mom as an advisor (ask her questions when you don't understand how to do something). The more costumes you do like this, the better you'll get. That's how I learned, anyway.

Sami
10-13-2002, 07:59 PM
>> I hate to say it, but the best teacher is experience.

Koumori hit the nail on the head. :) (At least in my travels, LOL!) I'm also a newbie to sewing, and aside from doing a pair of crappy shorts back in 8th grade home ec., I really came into this cosplay thing with little to no experience. No one else I know sews so I was sort of on my own.. it really was a lot of trial and error for me. But once you actually start sewing and make your own mistakes, you get used to how things work and it'll get easier.

Case in point, I had NO idea how to sew a jacket until a few months ago. But I had to do one for a Kidd costume, and although I didn't mess up too badly, now I can sew jackets like no one's business! (LOL, sort of..) Now I'm all excited because I want to go out and buy some fleece, and sew a cute zip-up fleece thing for the fall! :D :D Just keep trying, and if you mess up.. don't worry, we've all been there. ^^