PDA

View Full Version : Critique - flash - A&G Ohio

ByeByeBeautiful
03-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks to your thoughtful critiques on my Ohayocon photos, my A&G Ohio shooting went very well! Now I would like some more help tweaking my lighting.

Any thoughts are appreciated, but I'm really trying to fix my recurring flash issues. ^_^

Problem One: Mixed light

http://images.cosplay.com/photos/24/2480366.jpg
ISO 800
f/5.6
1/10s

The flash is fighting with the ceiling fluorescents. Was there a way to get decent color for this? Should I have gelled the flash?

Problem Two: Too bright

http://images.cosplay.com/photos/24/2480292.jpg
ISO 400
f/5.0
1/100 s

I like the composition of this, but struggled with the light. It looks too hot. If I recall correctly, the flash was about eight feet away. Should I have moved the flash? Dialed it down?

SvK
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Your first question is pretty straightforward. If your flash is the wrong color, then changing the color of the flash is a good solution.

There are several different ways of approaching the problem in your second photo.
If the whole photo is too bright, you can make the photo darker in post or make your aperture smaller so less light gets to your sensor. If the flash is overpowering the ambient light you can decrease your aperture and increase the exposure time to compensate. You could also turn down the power of the flash. Moving the flash away would also reduce the amount of light it casts on the scene, but the shadows would change as well. I can't see details on the figure in the background, so I would have liked more light.

FiveRings
03-17-2010, 07:15 PM
1) Mixed light always sucks and you always have to mix and match gels to get the white balance right. The flash looks like it was just below center out of frame. Looks like it might be a little too high since you have that hot spot in the armpit and then light bleed onto the nose.

2) The power looks about right, it just feels like it's in an odd position. Looks like it's about 5ft off the ground, about 60 degrees camera right, pointing at the subject and bare? If anything, you'd dial down your flash by 1/2 stop to prevent the hot spots on your subject and slow your shutter by a full stop to get more ambient light, or increase shutter speed by a full stop to cut down on ambient light, depending on what mood you're going for.

Elemental
03-19-2010, 09:58 PM
1) You answered your own question there. Gel the flash, it'll help.

2) Fiverings and SVK have it mostly covered - I'd probably say turn the flash down, and lift it a bit higher. Also, that one really needed a gel, or to have the WB played with in post- your model's skin is almost blue, which is detracting from the image.

oflight
03-29-2010, 05:08 PM
pic 1.

it looks like halogen lights? Were there flourscents not included in the frame?
I am unsure of what kind of lighting you were trying to set up in this photo, but it looks as if the flash was too close to the subjects and not adequately diffused. To fix the white balance have you tried tungsten? or even better set a custom white balance for the particular room you will be photographing in.

Another issue that caught my eye, was the exposure settings, 1/10 of a second is an odd number to use for this type of photo. Were you using an automatic exposure mode?

pic 2.

The photo is actually underexposed. So if you are referring to it being "hot" I will assume that you were trying to attain dynamic lighting with high contrast. If underexposure was your intent, here are some tips I'd recommend. Move the light source farther away from the subject, diffuse it, narrow your aperture to possibly f8 or smallerm increase your shutter speed and possibly lower your ISO value.

It is difficult to give you more helpful advice without knowing what your intent was exactly and the specific equipment used.

ByeByeBeautiful
04-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Wow, WAY too late coming, but thanks for the responses everybody! I will continue to strive onwards and upwards! :P