PDA

View Full Version : costume for a "non-traditional" cosplayer

Ayaka
10-12-2002, 03:31 AM
I was inspired by Nine's post in the other thread to ask this . . . all of the regs in the area anime club I'm attending have kinda gotten into cosplay (I'm the resident total nut, though ^^). So sometimes we talk about it at meetings, and one of the regs has expressed on several occassions that he's kinda frustrated. I think he wants to cosplay, but he keeps saying there's no one he can cosplay as. I admit to being stumped too. I don't think he's big into the idea of cosplaying totally against "type".

There's not really much of a delicate way to put this. He's about . . . 5'11", big frame, and he's African American. He wants to cosplay, but does say (and I fear it's true) that characters he could do are usually random people in the background. He has a lot of presence, so I think he'd be a great cosplayer. C'mon, somebody must be able to think of something. I seriously considered asking him to be my Sakura (for a skit idea), but I don't think he'd go for it, lol. He really likes the old school stuff, which I'm not very familiar with . . .

ChenCzen
10-12-2002, 03:34 AM
he should do whatever he wants, regardless of 'type'.

but if hed be more comfortable with characters that look like him theres a few out there... perhaps DeeJay from streetfighter...

hichan
10-12-2002, 04:19 AM
i'd say if he wants to cosplay, he should, regardless of type. if cosplay was about "type" then everyone should be Japanese, since most characters are.

if he is looking for a chacter... i forgot his name... but that bad-ass guy from Fist of the North Star.

Cassandra
10-12-2002, 07:00 AM
ooh! DJ Professor K from Jet Set Radio!! (or Jet Grind Radio, depending on what country you live in)
http://membres.lycos.fr/jetgrind/screen07big.jpg

Koumori
10-12-2002, 10:04 AM
He can cosplay anything he wants to. I do know a guy with a similar height and skin tone who makes a very impressive Shishio.

Ayaka
10-12-2002, 03:46 PM
lol he has the attitude to do that Jet Set Radio guy, but not the hair. I'm not sure if he's seen Fist of the North Star, I'll ask. I KNOW he loves fighting games, so I'll see if I can get him to brainstorm a few. He's talked about doing what's-his-name from Kenshin . . . you know, the big guy . . . GAH. *brain flops on the floor like a dead fish*

I'll talk to him again about cosplay and not having to look like the character . . . he's not buying it, not sure why. Maybe it's just that he sees how crazy WE are. ^^ And the one costume he did mention wanting to do was from Getter Robo (yep, one of the mechs). oO;;; He and the other slightly hesitant cosplayer are gonna be in the back making Getter Robo and the Black Escaflowne . . . lol. Except I'm probably going to get drafted into helping. =_= lol