PDA

View Full Version : Dr.Faust's scalpel (guilty gear)

burrito228
03-22-2010, 09:29 PM
This would be my first time making a weapon. I happen to have some insulation foam. I was thinking of using that and duct tape for making the scalpel. The insulation foam isn't a long enough piece on it's own for making the scalpel, so I will probably have to connect two pieces. Will it be sturdy enough for such a large weapon? Should I wrap the foam in duct tape? I am hoping not to spend too much time or money on making this. Help would be very much appreciated.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/faust-sp-stance.gif

NekoMimiChan
03-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Hello,

First, just a tip about using the prop forum, always include a reference of what you're working on. While we may be familiar with the character, pictures always help.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the blue/pink polystyrene insulation foam. I'm even less of a fan of duct-tape. I find it hard to work with, flimsy, and if you want to make it sturdy with fiberglass, it's going to cost you. Expecially for this prop, which is long, skinny, and thin, I would use wood. From wood the prop would cost you under $10 with paint and you would end up with something a lot studier and crisper-looking. Get yourself some soft wood (poplar, pine, spruce) 1" by 4" by 4', a couple quick cuts with a hand saw, a little sanding, paint, and your done.

Xaevier
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
you could also go the cardboard and paper mache route. While I personally do like insulation foam, his scalpel is thin enough that if you just cut out some very thick/higher quality cardboard and applied a few layers of paper mache + glue, you would likely end up with a decent prop.

For while I have worked with duct tape costumes before (check profile) I can attest that unless you make your entire costume out of it for a gimick/laughs, using duct tape props to go along with a real fabric costume looks kinda cheap. Plus paper mache/cardboard would actually cost a lot less since you just have to layer some wood glue on the paper mache and paint.

burrito228
03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
I was just considering using the insulation foam because I already had some on hand.

Hello,

First, just a tip about using the prop forum, always include a reference of what you're working on. While we may be familiar with the character, pictures always help.

Oh yeah, I was thinking about posting a picture when I created this thread. I'm not sure why I decided not to. Here's a picture if anyone cares: http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/faust-sp-stance.gif

I would use wood. From wood the prop would cost you under $10 with paint and you would end up with something a lot studier and crisper-looking. Get yourself some soft wood (poplar, pine, spruce) 1" by 4" by 4', a couple quick cuts with a hand saw, a little sanding, paint, and your done.

I've seen wood suggested before. It just seems slightly intimidating, I don't know if I have the skills or tools around to work with it. I'm probably just being paranoid, though.

you could also go the cardboard and paper mache route. While I personally do like insulation foam, his scalpel is thin enough that if you just cut out some very thick/higher quality cardboard and applied a few layers of paper mache + glue, you would likely end up with a decent prop.

For while I have worked with duct tape costumes before (check profile) I can attest that unless you make your entire costume out of it for a gimick/laughs, using duct tape props to go along with a real fabric costume looks kinda cheap. Plus paper mache/cardboard would actually cost a lot less since you just have to layer some wood glue on the paper mache and paint.

Alright, no duct tape then. Cardboard sounds like it might be a good idea. I'm pretty sure I have some cardboard around too. Would it be sturdy enough? By the way, your Knightman cosplay is pretty damn cool.

burrito228
03-23-2010, 10:12 PM
---

Chergnomebyl
03-23-2010, 10:15 PM
You probably could if you insert dowels inside of it.

burrito228
03-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Soo... wood or paper mache? I'm trying to decide between the two of them.

Chergnomebyl
03-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Well if you know your way around wood, then i'd go for that.
It'd be less messy and easier.

Plastikrokk
03-24-2010, 02:38 AM
This is relavent to my interests. I'm about to start work on my Faust costume for Dragon*Con and AWA, and I plan on making the scalpel out of wood. I'll keep you guys updated when I start.

Xaevier
03-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Well if you know your way around wood, then i'd go for that.
It'd be less messy and easier.

Wood is somewhat unforgiving since if you cut it...well it's cut. I personally like cardboard/paper mache as a recommendation just because it's so simple and doesn't involve any series tools, blades, etc and you can really play around with it as much as you want adding/subtracting parts and just layering more paper mache if it doesn't look right.

burrito228
03-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't really have much experience with wood. Only time I've worked with it, I think, was in middle school tech ed. The scalpel is mostly rather straight forward, though. One of my friends has suggested that I use wood for the handle and a separate piece for the actual blade, since that would be the hardest part to carve. Does this seem like a good idea?

Oh, and I should probably add that I don't have very much time to make it. Only have a little more than a week. So, I'm looking for the fastest method as well.

Here's a pretty cool version of the scalpel, made out of wood: http://www.fantasyprops.com/gallery/faust.html. I wonder if I can split it into to pieces like this guy did.

Chergnomebyl
03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
^ Well that's why you outline it first and use a saw with a liner : P
BUT! I'm sure going the other way too would be fine : D!

burrito228
03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I asked some friends, and they told me to use pvc pipe and foam.
They said that working with wood takes too much time. Although, they said that paper mache might work, too. @.@

sephygoth
03-25-2010, 12:40 AM
" Mesoian " has a seperable scalpel, I dunno where it came from, but it's been around for 1/2 decade.
if you wanna make it cheap, light,easy and fake: do teh foam which nekomimichan avoids. It's cheap to make mistakes, it's OKAY, and helps you learn for more heavy duty materials. I made one for a background prop a few yrs ago, came out fine. After moving 3-4 times in past 2 yrs, I can say all my foam stuff holds up, and given the fact you can take a box cutter to it and make a mess in your room and not suffer damage.....its a good starting point.

SvK
03-25-2010, 06:02 AM
PVC pipe would be inappropriate because Faust's scalpel has a rectangular cross-section.

You can buy strips of wood at hobby stores. I used three layers of balsa wood strips (1" x 3/16" x 2 or 3 feet) and a blade carved out of plastic for my scalpel. It broke down for transport, but sloppily.

burrito228
03-25-2010, 11:24 PM
You can buy strips of wood at hobby stores. I used three layers of balsa wood strips (1" x 3/16" x 2 or 3 feet) and a blade carved out of plastic for my scalpel. It broke down for transport, but sloppily.

How did you attach the pieces of wood together?

NekoMimiChan
03-26-2010, 07:07 AM
I haven't dropped by in a while, so sorry if my advice is too late XD

Wood doesn't have to be intimidating; I learned everything I know from experimenting with different materials on my own and asking questions at the lumber yard I frequent (Shell Lumber, whoo!). For this prop you wouldnt need any power tools, a simple and cheap handsaw or mini hacksaw and some sandpaper should to the trick. If you want to get fancy and make the blade beveled, you can use a hand planer or some rasps.

Papermache, cardboard, and foam are all great materials if reinforced properly; Xaevier and hugginsseller are both really great mastering these materials. But I'm still going to argue for wood, because that's my thing ^^

balsa...I don't know why people like it so much....it's light, but really soft, like you can dent it with your fingernail soft; and at least where I've seen it, it can get expensive. A single strip of poplar or pine 1" by 4" by (however many feet you want) is the simplest approach.

Chergnomebyl
03-26-2010, 08:37 AM
^ Haha why thank you.
But I actually agree with Neko. I do think this should be made with wood.
It'd be more sturdy and easy ,then going through glue sticks and foamcore and what not.
But I would >.> It's my thing.

burrito228
03-26-2010, 11:48 PM
I haven't dropped by in a while, so sorry if my advice is too late XD

Wood doesn't have to be intimidating; I learned everything I know from experimenting with different materials on my own and asking questions at the lumber yard I frequent (Shell Lumber, whoo!). For this prop you wouldnt need any power tools, a simple and cheap handsaw or mini hacksaw and some sandpaper should to the trick. If you want to get fancy and make the blade beveled, you can use a hand planer or some rasps.

Papermache, cardboard, and foam are all great materials if reinforced properly; Xaevier and hugginsseller are both really great mastering these materials. But I'm still going to argue for wood, because that's my thing ^^
Nope, you're not too late. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've decided I'm going to work with wood. (Although, I keep changing my mind) I plan on going to home depot tomorrow to look for wood. The only thing I haven't decided on, is whether I am also going to carve the blade out of wood, or make it with a separate material. My friend thinks that carving the blade out would be too difficult, and the wood would be too fragile. He also offered to work on the blade while I work on the handle. I kind of want to just carve the blade out of the wood because that would be the most straight forward. Also, I want to make it so I can break it down. I kind of don't want to carry a scalpel with me on the train on my way to the convention. =/

balsa...I don't know why people like it so much....it's light, but really soft, like you can dent it with your fingernail soft; and at least where I've seen it, it can get expensive. A single strip of poplar or pine 1" by 4" by (however many feet you want) is the simplest approach.
Well, I don't know much about wood, but I would definitely rather buy cheaper wood than the... not cheaper wood. I'll make sure to keep poplar, pine, or spruce in mind. I want to make the scalpel about 5', btw.

burrito228
03-31-2010, 08:35 PM
So, I used wood for handle and rigid insulation foam for blade. I put a dowel in the end of handle and beginning of blade. I covered the blade in joint compound, sanded it and noticed cracking. While trying to fix cracking, the foam in front of the dowel broke off. So... the blade is broken, and I have until Friday to fix it. Should I fix the blade or make a new one? Am I screwed? Help, pls?

Plastikrokk
04-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Started construction on my scalpel. Blade needs sanding horribly, but it's a start.

http://twitpic.com/1fmfq9

http://twitpic.com/1fmnz1