PDA

View Full Version : midna+el lights/glow paint= help...

jinglebooboo
03-23-2010, 12:32 AM
hello all, i have been thinking about cosplays i plan to do in the future, and i would really love to do an imp midna

http://delfinoplaza.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/midna1.jpg

anyway, i was thinking for the light blue vain like things, i may want to use el lighting. the only thing is i know very little about it. i am worried that the wire is to stiff and wouldnt curve well. also icant tell if it would be to thick and just look bulky.. also, it seems like when not turned on, it would not be the right color, i was consdering maybe making a thin tube of the right color fabric and then slip it in, which might solve way to attach to the costume. what do you think? would i just be better off painting lol

also, in case i do paint, is there a thing such as glow in the dark fabric/regular paint with a high glow? and if you have used before how did it work out?

Katsumiyo
03-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Legend of Zelda thread: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=98201
How to add wire to a garment: http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-add-EL-wire-to-a-coat-or-other-garment/

Bibliothèque
03-23-2010, 01:47 AM
There is fluorescent body-paint, particularly in Day-Glo style colours. I don't know how long the charge typically lasts, but I believe that electric blue on a background of black and dark grey should be more than sufficient to attain the effect of Midna's imp patterns. I expect that there should be similar fabric paints, assuming you wish to use a full bodysuit and (light) gloves, which would be a good idea since the paint on the palms and inner curve of the fingers would come off fairly quickly. You can also hang the suit up in front of a blacklight (such as in the coat closet of the room, if you're staying at the convention center) in order to give it as much exposure as possible before wearing.

I would not suggest EL ribbon, since the glow would likely be too bright, and would not achieve the differing shapes and thicknesses that characterize Midna's blue patterns, and would be next to impossible to add to your palms and ear prosthetics without hindering your ability to move properly.

Just to remind you before (and if) you look at the paints, try to balance the duration and brightness. While some bright paints last a while, others have an extremely short lifespan once you remove it from ultraviolet light that isn't mixed into sunlight, and may not show up as well as others when competing with the visible sunlight or under indoor lights that have a minimal ultraviolet output.

I hope this helps, and that your costume turns out well whatever you choose to do.

jinglebooboo
03-23-2010, 09:44 AM
There is fluorescent body-paint, particularly in Day-Glo style colours. I don't know how long the charge typically lasts, but I believe that electric blue on a background of black and dark grey should be more than sufficient to attain the effect of Midna's imp patterns. I expect that there should be similar fabric paints, assuming you wish to use a full bodysuit and (light) gloves, which would be a good idea since the paint on the palms and inner curve of the fingers would come off fairly quickly. You can also hang the suit up in front of a blacklight (such as in the coat closet of the room, if you're staying at the convention center) in order to give it as much exposure as possible before wearing.

I would not suggest EL ribbon, since the glow would likely be too bright, and would not achieve the differing shapes and thicknesses that characterize Midna's blue patterns, and would be next to impossible to add to your palms and ear prosthetics without hindering your ability to move properly.

Just to remind you before (and if) you look at the paints, try to balance the duration and brightness. While some bright paints last a while, others have an extremely short lifespan once you remove it from ultraviolet light that isn't mixed into sunlight, and may not show up as well as others when competing with the visible sunlight or under indoor lights that have a minimal ultraviolet output.

I hope this helps, and that your costume turns out well whatever you choose to do.

thank you so much that is really helpful.
i was just kinda wondering what you mean by light gloves? also this might be a dumb question, but what about putting the wire under body suit? so it would glow around the paint?

Bibliothèque
03-24-2010, 01:43 AM
My apologies, I meant lightweight gloves. Like opera gloves rather than work gloves, for example.

I'm not sure what putting the EL wire under the bodysuit would do. It would obviously depend on how opaque the material and colours are, but behind that, and that it would probably diffuse it some (probably a good thing, to a certain extent) I can't really say. Sorry.