PDA

View Full Version : Ok....Is this Cosplay or Crossplay?

Lady
09-06-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm going to be dressing as a hermaphroditic character in the future. As I'm only female, I've been wondering if this counts as crossplay or cosplay. I'm leaning towards crossplay, as the characters looks more male than female, but I'm really not sure what to call it.

Any ideas?

-Lady, confuzzled

Chosuke
09-06-2003, 08:26 PM
ossplay.....xD

ACXchan
09-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Halfplay since you're only half of what the hermaphrodite is XD

Scortia
09-08-2003, 09:40 PM
LMAO at both replies... I think saying you're an "ossplayer" would get some amusing reactions.

Karisu-sama
09-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Well, it's ALWAYS "cosplay". ^^ I guess it's also partial crossplay. :p

Sephiroth-chan
09-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Hmmmm...this reminds me of my old question of if a person dresses up as Zoisite (or Fisheye for that matter) from Sailormoon, if it was Crossplay.

If a guy dressed as them, you could say it was crossplay by the english version (twitch), or if a girl did, it would be by the Jap and manga version.

if anyone was at A-kon the few years back, I was the Zoisite on the cosplay performance who did the stripdown to the Sailor Moon costume. *grins* of course, I was talking to 'Kunzaito-sama'. But someone asked me the Crossplay question and it royally stumped me.

Maybe there needs be a third category like the ossplay for everything else. Sometimes with Kodama, Angels (Angel Sanctuary), and Chocobos you just can't tell.

Miscplay?

Otherplay?

megumibish
09-12-2003, 03:51 PM
I think it should be dubbed "Halfplay". My 2 cents =P

AniMajor
09-12-2003, 04:50 PM
It's like what happens if you cosplay Arachne (Or however people spell it) from Angel Sanctuary? It's a guy, dressed up as a girl. If it was a girl, would she be crossplaying? Or if it was a guy, would it be crossplay?

I think, though, that it's best not to think about it.

Hitori
09-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Hmmm... I like "halfplay" too^_^ I just *love* cosplaying androgynous types, and I get so confused when people ask mi if it's crossplay. I usually go w/ Karisu-sama's answer up there, "Well, it's cosplay."
But really, it's not really *my* gender, and it's not really the opposite gender... o.0

megumibish
09-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Ani-Major Re: Arachne http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=18966 Karisu-sama has everything explained here nice and neat. Sidenote: to explain my reasoning for the term "halfplay".. in japan they refer to hermaphrodites as new halves. I saw it on J-list as the title of a mag they carry featuring them. hehe

Nine
09-12-2003, 08:55 PM
I would say, judge it on what gender the "hermaphroditic character" leans more towards. So, if the characters precieves themself to be a girl, and you're a girl - call it cosplay. If they lean towards more of a male, and your female, call it crossplay... *shrugs*

halfplay sounds kind of appropreate, but we don't really need another label put on cosplayers who cosplay the opposite sex... crossplay is bad enough lol.

CapsuleCorp
09-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Guess same question goes for me cosplaying Dende - Nameks technically have no gender although they're often treated as male. I just say it's cosplay, not crossplay. *shrug*

ACXchan
09-13-2003, 02:44 AM
LOL I pulled the term halfplay out of my hat XD In the medical field, some people determine a hermaphrodite's "true gender" by what internal organs it has but uh... I don't know how anyone would find this out about characters in anime unless someone asks the creator... x_x;;

Lady
09-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies! The term in the books for the character I'll be dressing as is 'har' so another person suggested 'harplay', but I rather like 'halfplay' as well*nods* Thanks again for all the ideas and discussion! I really appreciate it!

-Lady