PDA

View Full Version : Musical Theatre Cosplay?

Nadeshiko
09-06-2003, 11:19 PM
Has anyone here considered cosplaying as a character from a musical production? Aside from the fact that you were in the production that is. ^_^;;;

I have two costumes coming up that have that theme. The first is my Hanabi as Eponine (Sakura Taisen 4 where they do Les Miserables). Since the Paris cast isn't in it as well as some of the other Victor Hugo characters (Eponine is so left out!) I decided to do Hanabi. My reasoning? (Hanabi was the title role for Mme. Butterfly...Lea Salonga was in a modern day remake of Mme. Butterfly. Lea Salonga played Eponine on Broadway a few times...okay. Plus I like Hanabi and Eponine as well). So, just going to use the production costume with a Hanabi wig. ^^;; Yay! Two obsessions in one!

Then second, I have Christine from Phantom. I reccently saw it in SF a few days ago. My obsession has been rekindled. True, I did cosplay as her before in 8th grade, but there was damage done to the MOTN robe. I may do the Masquerade outfit (can wear at anime cons since it passes for a EGL).

nyu. ^^

Satine
09-07-2003, 01:48 AM
You bet:) I've made the Hannibal "Slave girl", the dressing gown, the Blue dress and the Wedding dress of Christine's from Phantom of the opera;)

Giving serious thought to the AMinta dress and MAsquerade dress as I have fabrics enough for both.. heh, why not both;)? After all the other cossies I have lined up... oooh boy...

I have some in my costumes here I think.. otherwise easy to see on my costume site (see signature)

Oy! I recognise you! I've emailed you before... Miaka Daae isn't it?

Sigh.. I haven't seen the show since my marathon effort at the start of 2001:
London, Hamburg, Copenhagen, London, London, London;) All in three weeks;)

Not surprising that I haven't seen it since then. The nearest production to me is Korea....

TsukiNoBara
09-07-2003, 03:12 AM
I've always considered being a character from Cats.

Bezo
09-07-2003, 06:11 AM
I would love to do either Jean Valjean or Javert from Les Miserables. But only if they let me sing at the con. :P

Satine
09-07-2003, 07:24 AM
Ooh cats, yes, done that too*;) But really there is a whole subculture out there that does that:) If you do a search for cats costuming you are sure to find them all;)

* but a mix of characters for a singing competition;)

Sana-chan
09-07-2003, 10:37 AM
I've always thought about doing Scarlet Pimpernel cosplay. Actually there's a lot of musicals that I think it'd be fun to do the costumes for, but for me it's more like... doing the show lol.

katrinastrife
09-07-2003, 01:29 PM
I guess Sera Myu doesn't count here, ne?

MissLemon
09-14-2003, 10:21 PM
Yes, I most definately have considered cosplaying musical theatre characters!! I'm currently working on a Mrs. Lovett costume (from "Sweeney Todd."). Having trouble styling the wig, though...

I'd love to sink my teeth into (so to speak) costumes from just about any Sondheim show. After Mrs. Lovett, I wanna make a Witch (the "after" version, from "Into the Woods"), a Cora ("Anyone Can Whistle"), and several, several more.

Yeah, theatre is my life (along with anime and Clue...I feel so diverse...).

Who's into what shows around here?

Ali
09-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Now, do you mean cosplaying from movies made of the musicals or stage shows you see or just original designs for the characters?

Just curious. (Must not get myself making *more* costumes... mustn't...)

KuroBara
09-15-2003, 09:40 AM
How funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday! I was watching 'Brigadoon' on DVD and thought it would be fun to make Fiona's (Cyd Charisse's character) dress.

Tenshi
09-15-2003, 11:30 AM
When I was 14 or so I dressed up as ghetto-Phantom from Phantom of the Opera for Halloween. It consisted of my concert band uniform (I guess it was good we wore tuxedos ^^;; ) and a few accessories from Party City. It wasn't based on anything the musical Phantom wore, but I put it together because I love that musical to death *_*. There's really terrible pictures of it in my gallery XD.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about my Seramyu Jupiter costume! ^^;; How did I forget about that. . .lol

DarkindDreamer
10-07-2003, 02:41 PM
i love Throughly Modern millie.. but the costumes aren't anything "wawish" ..well maybe the head mistress of the hotel.. she's all "crazy slave drving oriental white woman" .......

i've been tryin to find a good female song from a musical that's sorta dark and gothic.. yet sorta upbeat.. any ideas? ...Kiss of the Spiderwoman is a great number.. but i've used it already *sigh*

Kayomi
10-07-2003, 09:56 PM
i've been tryin to find a good female song from a musical that's sorta dark and gothic.. yet sorta upbeat.. any ideas?

I know of a few musicals you can look at. Jekyll & HYDE is quite dark yet some of Lucy Harris's songs are upbeat as well. Esp. "Good and Evil." Also, Urinetown is extremely dark though the music is rather happy (happy music, sad lyrics). There are some female parts that are great from there, plus some of Bobby's songs could easily be sung by a woman for performance sake. Sweeny Todd is definitely dark, not really anything upbeat - you have pretty and lyrical and then dark and deadly. Hmm...Les Miserables has dark and pretty songs, probably not anything really upbeat. For something that's a tad dark and more upbeat, "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar is good. It's darkness is the struggle over does she love Jesus or not and what should she do about it, etc. That's about all my brain is popping up with at the moment. Hope these ideas help!

archangeli
10-08-2003, 12:37 AM
The Spider Woman, from Kiss of the Spider Woman would be something fun to consider.

Her personality is so - me!

DarkindDreamer
10-08-2003, 12:45 AM
thanks for the ideas Kayomi,

and Archangeli.. yes.. i looovveee that number...but i just did it... it was awesome... the perfect song.. so.. i'm pretty much looking for a song of that same nature... dark and sorta evil.. but yet for funny.. in a really sick way...heh

OMG.......i just heard Good 'N' Evil...

oowwwiieeeeeee
i totally see.. like.. 1880's days dress.. jet black.. with beading.. sorta like a Mourning gown.. and like.. the main under skirt rips off.. showing leg.. but the busle and back train is still on... with pointy lace up boots.. owwwwwww

my mind is going..... oww oww.. i love it.. love it love it... *dances*

thanx a whole bunch Kayomi.. this might be the one..

but i'm still open for suggestions..

LadyoftheThread
10-08-2003, 07:12 PM
i've been tryin to find a good female song from a musical that's sorta dark and gothic.. yet sorta upbeat.. any ideas? ...Kiss of the Spiderwoman is a great number.. but i've used it already *sigh*

Hmm… It isn’t gothic but Sondheim’s “Follies” is kind of dark. They’re not exactly evil but I love all three of the jazzy numbers that were written as Follies numbers for Phyllis: “Uptown/Downtown,” “The Story of Lucy and Jessie,” and “Ah, But Underneath.” The last is probably my favorite and I love the tongue-twisting lyric “In the depths of her interior, Were fears she was inferior, And something ever eerier, But no one dared to query ‘er, Superior Exterior.” They can all be heard on the Papermill Playhouse recording of “Follies.” All three have a few lines done by backup singers though so I’m not sure if they’re quite what you’re looking for. Also, I’ve never heard “Kiss of the Spiderwoman” so I might be completely off.

As for musical theatre cosplay… I love Christine’s dressing gown (Phantom of the Opera) and the pastel green cloak that she wears on the roof of the opera house. Perhaps, I’ll try to make them someday. I love “The Scarlet Pimpernel” but am not that crazy about any of Marguerite’s dresses. I would like to do a gown from that period though. I like Millie’s green dress from “Thoroughly Modern Millie” but don’t know if I’d want to make it since I definitely don’t have the 1920s silhouette. Hmm… Nothing else is really coming to mind at the moment.