PDA

View Full Version : Critique my recent shot

FiveRings
03-30-2010, 11:06 PM
The shot: http://fiverings.deviantart.com/art/Tree-with-the-Best-Blossoms-158459910

This was from a recent, kind-of-impromptu shoot that I did at the ALA cosplay picnic gathering in Balboa Park during the cherry blossom blooms. I think it's a decent shot, but there's always room for improvement. :) Please feel free to critique any aspect of the shot you'd like from the composition to the editing, colors, lighting, model, camera settings, etc.

Background on me: I just picked up a DSLR in June of '09, but since then I've dove head first into this photography thing, thus combining two of my favorite hobbies - anime and photography.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

brucer007
03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I over-all composition and pose work well. The low angle gives this photo a nice connection with the cosplayer. I like how the cosplayer is looking off somewhere away from the camera.

I don't care for the washed out, over-exposed look, but that is an artistic choice.

A wider aperture would have given a nice effect to blur the cherry blossom trees to keep the focus more on the cosplayer, while still being able to recognize what the background is.

Good work!

Vash_Fanatic
03-30-2010, 11:54 PM
I am going to critique you from what I have learned in art classes! I am by no means a photographer, but I think I can still help you out with tips. :)

This shot is lovely. The washed out colors really give off a mood, as does the model. Very artistic and expressionistic.

The composition needs a little (but not much) help. Up in the left hand corner, you have a triangle of trapped space. This space could potentially catch the viewers attention, which you do not want to have happen. The trunk of the tree should be shifted to the left more or just get more of it so you don't have that dead spot there.

The focal point is in an interesting spot. But I feel it may be too close to the mid line. Maybe if you raised your shot a bit to get more space above the model would have fixed this problem. It's just too cropped. The scenery is beautiful and all, why not capture more of it?

The white shirt really gets bright. I think the white needs to be toned down just a bit to match the dull colors of the rest of the photo.

Other than that, I really admire your work. You always take such beautiful photos. :D Hope to have a shoot with you in the future.

esperance
03-31-2010, 12:00 AM
If I had to be really really really picky, then I'm curious about how the picture would look if the grass behind him wasn't as blurry.. but even then I'm not sure that it would be better because it's just a really pretty shot.
Anyway. Do a shoot for me next. :D

oflight
03-31-2010, 02:19 AM
there is nothing bad to say about this shot IMHO,
Its very nice.

If you want to be picky, possibly a shallower depth of field and slight shift to the right so the model looks more like he's leaning along the left edge of the photograph. But these are very minor.

FiveRings
03-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Regarding the depth of field, I would've liked to use a wider aperture, but the max sync speed I can get on my flash was 1/250. As it was a bright day, I had to close down the aperture a bit to keep my shutter speed at 1/250. There is a flash to the right of the picture pointed at the cosplayer.

brucer007
03-31-2010, 07:51 PM
If your aperture is more closed than you would have liked, using 1 or more Neutral Density Filters or a Polarizing Filter would have given you that control to open your iris more.

You could choose to shoot your photo later in the day, or whenever the sun is lower and less intense.

Finding backgrounds that are even further away from your subject will also blur the background more.

www.bruceheinsiusimages.com

oflight
03-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Regarding the depth of field, I would've liked to use a wider aperture, but the max sync speed I can get on my flash was 1/250. As it was a bright day, I had to close down the aperture a bit to keep my shutter speed at 1/250. There is a flash to the right of the picture pointed at the cosplayer.

If you are using a standard hot shoe flash, enabling the high speed sync will allow you to increase the shutter speed above 1/250th whilst using flash, if you want to prevent overexposure.

oflight
03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
if you are using a strobe set up, than as above poster, bruce mentioned, an ND filter would help out.

Syntax Error
04-01-2010, 12:12 AM
The cherry blossoms in the background seem too out of place with the black punky outfit you have on.

brucer007
04-01-2010, 06:27 AM
I disagree with Syntax Error. I see absolutely nothing out of place with the costume and the scenery.

I have been to this location many times. There is no particular way to dress to look appropriate as a person reaps the benefits of the calming environment. I think it would be cliche to insist that people should dress a certain way to be in a calm location.

TykeJack
04-01-2010, 07:05 AM
I agree with Syntax Error unless it was intentional to create that contrast. The dark, sagging pants, black platform boot appearance is not in line with light fluffy airiness of cherry blossoms. This doesn't mean it is wrong, but we can't make a fair evaluation without understanding what you are trying to express. What is it that you are trying to communicate with this picture? The only things we can comment on are the technical aspects of the photo, which many people have already done.

FiveRings
04-01-2010, 12:36 PM
In the comments of the photo on DA, I linked to the chapter of the manga for which this picture is based. In it, the main character, Captain Shouta Mikoshiba (slightly out of uniform in this photo) is found under a cherry blossom tree.

brucer007
04-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Hey FiveRings. You had notthing to justify, but you certainly did, by showing that the artists who created your cosplay character put him in a similar setting.

PsychoLove
04-02-2010, 03:53 AM
That is such a beautiful shot. I really can't find anything else to say besides that.

What do you do to get the washed out look? It's been driving me crazy trying to figure it out, and I want to use it for a photoshoot.

line3347
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
i like it, i think it needs a like more brightness though