PDA

View Full Version : Kimono, anyone???

SailorMo
09-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Got the word as to when I'll be doing kimono demos...

Splitting it up this year because we've got SO much more programming going on -- they could only give me an hour at a time. Besides, it will probably be better this way anyway...

Friday: 3pm - 4pm -- Beginner's Kimono
Here I'm gonna go over the basics, and demo how to put on yukata. It's easier to understand the whole kimono dressing process with the simplest of kimono. Less accessories needed too. For the gents, it's not much different, but at the very least I can show how to do the shellfish bow, even if it's on a lady-person.

Sunday: Noon - 1pm -- Intermediate Kimono
For those who already know the basics or want to continue from friday, I'll be showing how to put on full ladies kimono and drum bow, with all the trappings. Plus a bit of the "theory" of dressing in kimono. **IF** I can get a male vi... err.. volunteer, I'll be happy to show the gents out there men's kimono and/or hakama. Or I could just send ya scans of how to do it from one of my books... ^_^

I've got some basic info up on my website:
http://www.sailormo.net/kimono/kimono_index.html
(grrr... which needs to be updated...)

But if you have any questions that you'd like to pose to me before the con, feel free to post here or email me. :wave:

Silence Glaive
09-07-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm glad they convinced you to do the panels, I was under the impression that you weren't going to do it at NEXT...very cool. Maybe at some point you could actually attempt an "advanced" class, just for the more experienced kimono fans in the world, neh? But hey, you're the resident expert, so I won't question you.

Unfortunately, they booked your first workshop across from both the guest of honor AND my Parliament...*grumble*

Waho!

SailorMo
09-08-2003, 04:24 PM
eh???? Which schedule are *you* looking at? I've got the latest one, posted up yesterday...

I'm not conflicting with either. You, on the other hand, are definitely conflicting with the GOH panel. =P~~~~~~~~ haha!

No advanced panel just yet. **I'm** not even at the advanced level. Got a _ways_ to go for that. Mebbe next year I'll see about adding a "Making Kimono" panel. ^_^

Silence Glaive
09-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Well, there are 3 GoH panels going on throughout the weekend, so I'm probably okay...but now I know how you feel.

Anyway, from what I've seen, you aren't far from being able to handle a more advanced panel...though as far as a "making" panel goes, I think it's a great idea.

SailorMo
09-08-2003, 08:39 PM
HA! You are quite delusional. Can't currently do anything more complex than a drum bow... :walkoff:

(yet, anyway...)

Um... it just occurred to me-- why on earth are we discussing this HERE????

You usurper, you.... ^_~

Lil
09-14-2003, 10:08 PM
SailorMo, you wouldn't happen to have any information on ancient japanese garb and dress would you?

SailorMo
09-15-2003, 04:43 PM
*checks collection of links*

bleh... nothing there-- only info on "modern" kimono...

um, the only resource I can think of is Liza Dalby's Kimono: Fashioning Culture. She's got a fantastic section on the history of kimono, from it's origins in China. (Yes, the kimono was adapted from Chinese *women's* robes!) Her bibliography probably has something more detailed on the subject. The book is worth getting for all the other info as well. It's my new bible! ^_^

BNekki7
09-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday: Noon - 1pm -- Intermediate Kimono
For those who already know the basics or want to continue from friday, I'll be showing how to put on full ladies kimono and drum bow, with all the trappings. Plus a bit of the "theory" of dressing in kimono. **IF** I can get a male vi... err.. volunteer, I'll be happy to show the gents out there men's kimono and/or hakama. Or I could just send ya scans of how to do it from one of my books... ^_^
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:waves hands: Oh, pick me pick me........I'll be your "victim"

Oh wait, I hope Im not busy then...=p Hehe too bad no one knows who I am!!

Emeralda
09-16-2003, 10:11 PM
:waves hands: Oh, pick me pick me........I'll be your "victim"

Oh wait, I hope Im not busy then...=p Hehe too bad no one knows who I am!!

hey Mo, who the heck is this punk? hehehehhee

BNekki7
09-16-2003, 10:16 PM
hey Mo, who the heck is this punk? hehehehhee

Shhhhh......don't tell anyone who I am. It's a secret!!

Mwahhhh.....

Just don't forget who's in charge here.... :rockon:

P.S. Here's the link to the tentative schedule as well.

http://www.animenext.org/ProgramSchedule.htm