PDA

View Full Version : How To Train Your Dragon- Has it happened yet?

Chopsticks
04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I Want To Seeeee.

Melima331
04-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I was planning on making an Astrid costume. We'll see because I haven't quite decided what new costume I'm making this year.

Volnixshin
04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I would think it would come out just looking like a Viking costume

moonflower.
04-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I would think it would come out just looking like a Viking costume

you could probably carry a dragon stuffed animal for a prop

Melima331
04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Astrid's costume is actually kind-of neat. To me is sticks out more than the rest.

lunaladyoflight
04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Amanda I want to do Astrid too :D

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't think some of the characters would come out just looking like generic Vikings.
Anyway, I'm cosplaying Hiccup in May! I just brought my Toothless plushie today and will probably hurridly do the rest of the costume so I can get back to my harder projects. I absolutely loved the movie

lunaladyoflight
04-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Toothless plushie? Where did you get it?? I totally want one.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Walmart has all the dragons for only $16/each! I snatched one up when I saw them. They're pretty decent sized plushies too, not like really small ones. in my arms the tail comes down past my knees

Melima331
04-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I couldn't find a toothless! I have a Nightmare one though :-)
I love Astrid's skirt. I just don't know about the hair. I am blonde, so that helps, but I may need a wig (or at least extensions) to do a braid like that. We'll see about time/budget for me to decide if I do a wig or make my hair work. If I do make Astrid, I will have it for Youmacon.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Aww I couldn't find Toothless at one WMart I checked, so I went to another one lol. one Wmart was nearly sold out of plushies! Guess the movie is pretty popular lol.
I like Astrid's design more then anything so can't wait to see people cosplay her! Personally, I love crossplaying so the moment I saw Hiccup I know I'd cosplay him ^_^

Chopsticks
04-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I guess I should reply in my own thread.

I really want to get Ruffnut done for either Dragon*Con (which would be perfect XD) or AWA, since I'll be going to one or the other. I feel like I'd have to sew a billion wefts into a wig for her hair...

Shana05
04-07-2010, 11:41 PM
While cheaply made, I've seen toddler pajamas at Wal-Mart that can be used as dragon costumes. For toddlers obviously.

IchigoBunny
04-08-2010, 01:46 PM
the toothless plushy they actually made isn't very cute but i found a person that is crocheting really cute versions of him here -->http://feathereddragon.deviantart.com/art/Crochet-toothless-the-dragon-158419641

myiuu
04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
totally going to cosplay Hiccup, already started looking for fabric and fur for his vest ;)
not sure what to do for his boots...probably going to buy a cheap pair of knockoff uggs and make boot overs for them :/

IchigoBunny
04-08-2010, 02:37 PM
totally going to cosplay Hiccup, already started looking for fabric and fur for his vest ;)
not sure what to do for his boots...probably going to buy a cheap pair of knockoff uggs and make boot overs for them :/

you could also look for the slipper style and make the leg part. you could look for clearance bear paws i don't know how the prices of those compare to others.

Nooby Banana
04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm gonna try and cosplay Hiccup! But I'm not too crazy about the official Toothless plushies, so I'm gonna try and make my own jumbo plush.

Haha, I was gonna use uggs too. xD I'm not really sure where to get the fur for his vest/boots though. It's rather long and scraggly-looking. And what are the things wrapped around his lower sleeves supposed to be? Thin rope? Just fabric?

I'm going to see if I can make the "breast hat" as well. xD

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Am I the only one that likes the 'officially' plushie [idk what everyone is refering to, the wmart exclusive one?] I carry mine everywhere haha. Toothless is cute, but still a dragon so the plushie is probably more ferocious looking.
Anywhoot, I'm using thin rope for the bottom of my sleeves. I'd use fake uggs for my shoes as well (I use those so often for cosplay shoes) but they're probably hard to find in stores now and I can't do any online ordering - con in a month. Boo! Lol.

Melima331
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
That's what I liked about this movie, the dragons were dragons - fierce. They can be cute, but ultimately they still are dragons.
I was going to use uggs as a possible base for my Astrid costume too.

Nooby Banana
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I dunno, the Toothless plushie just doesn't really look like Toothless to me. Its eyes remind me more of the Terrible Terrors than a Night Fury. But I do like that the dragons actually behaved like wild animals most of the time. Finally, an animated movie where the animals don't talk!

I think I'll go with the thin rope for the sleeves, too. Thanks for the input. =) Now to find some fake uggs. Or I could wait for winter when they'll be easier to find. I think I'll use summer to try and get the tunic and vest done. I'm thinking of using some sort of wool for the tunic, since apparently real Vikings used lots of wool in their clothing.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Wool for the tunic sounds great. Might be hot, but if you don't plan to wear it during the summer then its perfect. I'm gonna line my fur vest with something...I was gonna do just some flashy, shiny fabric, but maybe should do something more accurate to Viking-era. I also plan to do the straps he wears when he rides Toothless. I've got some extra pleather lying around for that

IchigoBunny
04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
that one i mentioned earlier is really cute and hand made!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Ya know what would impress me...LIFESIZE DRAGON! *cough* seriously I thought about how I'd do that haha. I couldn't figure a way

Nooby Banana
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Some shiny fabric for the inner vest might look ok, actually. Not necessarily accurate to real-life Vikings, but it'd give a nice contrast to the rest of the outfit. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference since we never get a clear shot of it. :P

that one i mentioned earlier is really cute and hand made!

Yeah, I saw the crocheted Toothless on DA. ^__^ Super cute!

But WOW, a life-size dragon would be amazing! Impossible to get around a con with, but amazing none-the-less! 8O But I did once see someone make a huge Akamaru and put the legs on wheels so they could wheel it around.

I was thinking of possible wigs for Hiccup. Would the Scruffy http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=26258&cat=2471&page=1 work for his hair, or would it be too short on a real head?

caisse
04-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Ya know what would impress me...LIFESIZE DRAGON! *cough* seriously I thought about how I'd do that haha. I couldn't figure a way

We'll have the pressure the amazing people who make things like this (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/171890/) into attempting Toothless. <3

As for myself, just saw the movie tonight... and could not stop imagining myself in an Astrid cosplay. I loved everything about her character - I'm all about the tough, misunderstood tough girl that the nerdy main character has to win over. I was drooling over the skirt and the hair... and have no clue how to do her shirt, however. I've seen designs like that, with the awkward striping patterns... but I can't imagine how to achieve that sort of look or think that I could FIND a fabric like that.

Chergnomebyl
04-10-2010, 10:04 AM
I still haven't got to see it ;_;

Chiisanahime
04-10-2010, 10:31 AM
I'd love to cosplay Astrid! We'll see...=D

Chirudesu
04-10-2010, 06:43 PM
I just came home from seeing the movie, it's so cute!!!! I was thinking of cosplay ideas too when I saw it, I'd love to see people cosplay as some of the characters. I guess characters like Astrid and Hiccup are the easiest to dress up as, or the most noticable. The dragon toys do seem like a must though or else I think people would just assume you're a viking.

andprosper
04-12-2010, 12:36 AM
I was thinking of possible wigs for Hiccup. Would the Scruffy http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=26258&cat=2471&page=1 work for his hair, or would it be too short on a real head?

It worked for me. (It IS shorter on a real head, though) I have the henna colored one. It wasn't for Hiccup, but I thought about using it for a Hiccup cosplay (the color is off a bit, of course...but sometimes I just use what I have.)

I'm going to do an Astrid cosplay sometime this year. I hope to wear it to my town's con if I have time to make it. If not, I'm going to wear it to a summer con my friend and I are going to road trip to. It'll be kind hot, but most cons are mostly indoors anyways. I have really thick blond hair, so I don't have to worry about it. I actually decided to cosplay her after my friend was like: whoa...it's you!

Wondering where I'm going to get the spikes for her skirt, though. Can't steal some goth kid's clothes.

Nooby Banana
04-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the info, andprosper. It's good to hear the Scruffy will work, since it's practically his hairstyle already. xD

For Astrid's spikes, the first method I thought of was sculpting them with Sculpey. Or maybe you could cast them in resin?

Katgi
04-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Regarding Hiccup's haircolor, would you guys say it has a red tint to it? 'Cause I'm also interested in cosplaying him and have been browsing for wigs, but a couple of friends have told me his hair is just a brown color.

sylus
04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
i'll be cosplaying hiccup too for a con i'm going to in july. should be fun!

Nooby Banana
04-13-2010, 03:53 PM
I think Hiccup's hair is just brown. Maybe in certain lighting it has a slight red hue to it, but in all the stills I've seen it's just straight brown.

And to all you Astrid cosplayers, here's a still that really shows the texture in her shirt, if you need reference: http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2010_How_to_Train_Your_Dragon/2010_how_to_train_your_dragon_027.jpg You can also see that Hiccup has a small scar on his chin. 8O Wonder what that's from.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-13-2010, 06:10 PM
I always think slight highlights give wigs a more natural look. So if you got a brown wig with maybe slight red streaks (not anything too noticible), it would work well

Katgi
04-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I thought his hair was slightly reddish, but I guess that's just me. I'll start looking for a brown wig then. Thanks, guys! :D

Melodious Nocturne
04-13-2010, 09:35 PM
i wanna cosplay astrid too lol

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Hiccup cosplayers: Saw fake uggs for $6 today! I'm gonna get a pair next week ^_^

Nooby Banana
04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
8O Where'd you see those?!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Walmart (I should live there! Lol)

Nooby Banana
04-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Nice! I'm definitely heading over there when I get the chance.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
04-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Ok I just found a pair of boots for $3 at Kmart! So definently check chain stores like Walmart, Kmart, etc because their winter boots like that are on clearance. And maybe some internet sites might have them on sale, but I haven't lucked out with that. Yay, I got my Hiccup boots!

SabienStrange
04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
i've seen the movie twice,
and i fell in love with Hiccup's character,
so i may end up cosplaying him for a winter con like ALA or something if i have the time. n wn
there aren't a lot of cosplays that let you walk around wearing shag carpeting for a vest,
so that alone is tempting.

i'm not sure what to do for a Toothless though,
whether i should find / make a plushie,
or sweet talk someone into doing a sort of.. humanish version of him.

kittycoraline
04-17-2010, 05:45 PM
I seriously just saw the movie an hour ago, and it was amazing. xD I'd love to cosplay from it! My friend that I went with told me that if I were a boy I'd look like Hiccup (because we have a similar hair/eye colour, I suppose xD), but I'm thinking about cosplaying Astrid.

blackflame16
04-17-2010, 08:57 PM
I saw this movie with my friend and we both loved it!!! After the movie I was like:

me:"Soooo... How 'bout a Hiccup cosplay next year?"
him:"...Eh????'
me:" ^_^"
him:"Oh no...."

My friend kinda looks like Hiccup so I'm trying to convince him to cosplay him, and let him have a little Toothless plushie.. that'll be soooo cute!! I'm still bugging him about it. If he goes with the idea, I might cosplay Astrid.

Tsukune
04-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm considering making a Toothless quadsuit for next AN. Since I'm totally flat broke after making my armour for Ventus. lol =D

D4rklight
04-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Hello!

For Halloween this year I'm working on a Toothless hoody (Toothless from HTTYD). I've pretty much got a list of everything I need for it, with the exception of his eyes.

I'm not quite sure what to make them out of. I'd like them to be just as stunning as they look in the movie, not flat felt glued/sewn to the hood.

Im going for something along the lines of this in style-- http://community.livejournal.com/pkmncollectors/3181822.html

Also, I do not have an embroidery machine, or I would totally use that with some nice metallic threads.

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks a bunch in advance,
Nicole

Nooby Banana
04-25-2010, 04:09 AM
@ D4rklight: Hmm... I think to get eyes like the ones in the link an embroidery machine isn't NECESSARY, but handy. You might be able to get somewhat thick lines by increasing the zigzag stitch on your machine and decreasing the length. I'm not sure how that would look, but the theory seems sound to me.

Or if you want to go for SUPER stunning, you could cast the eyes in resin and then glue them to the hoodie.

I think there's been a change in cosplay plans for me. I was talking to my friends about potential Halloween costumes and one said he was planning on being Hiccup. And he would be a much better Hiccup than me (being scrawnier and male and all), so I'm being his Toothless instead. I'm not sure how to go about doing it though. I'd really like to make a full suit with a head and moving wings and everything, but I've never done something like that. o_o

There are a few things I really want to get down: his short back legs, legs that get thicker towards the bottom, and lack of shoulders. For the legs I'm thinking something like a kigurumi for a base would work: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/248/7/a/Tiger_Kigurumi_by_LatinVixen.jpg But I'm not sure how to get the thick neck or legs down. Any suggestions?

~Squid~
04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I want to be Hiccup so bad, but I have so many other cosplays planned. I might just squeeze him in there anyway xD

nyachyan
04-28-2010, 07:29 PM
i'm not sure what to do for a Toothless though,
whether i should find / make a plushie,
or sweet talk someone into doing a sort of.. humanish version of him.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. xD

Toothless Gijinka~

meevist
05-12-2010, 12:11 AM
just got back from seeing the movie, and i really want to do a (sort of) human version of Toothless. still making the wings and tail, probably incorporating armor into it. maybe i'll convince my sister to cosplay Hiccup with me.
but i've never made armor or wings before...

Jubilee003
05-14-2010, 08:42 PM
that my friends is a progress shot of my Hiccup cosplay >D
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2878/img000007r.jpg
actually the hole costume is finished I just need to wait for the wig

rinature
05-17-2010, 01:45 AM
I'm actually in the progress of making an Astrid cosplay right now ^^ I've got her skirt and boots done and I'm currently working on her shirt, wig, and shoulder armor. Hopefully I'll have her done for Colossal Con

ayaasan
05-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Hello~~
Totally looved the movie, and I actually bumped a cosplay from my list in order to fit Astrid in for Comic Con this year :) Just ordered the final wig I'll be using, along with 3 packs of extensions, and now onto finishing the gloves, making ginormous boot covers over a foam base, and make the wool pants. I'm also currently working on the battle axe, shield, and a Terrible Terror prop that'll most likely attach to the shield. Not too crazy, right? XP

msbren06
05-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Try walmart.com for the plushies.

Melima331
06-10-2010, 09:05 PM
To those of you you are making or have made astrid, what did you make the skirt out of? It looks like it's leather, but that can be pricy and I was wondering what other ideas are out there. Maybe craft foam or some sort of pleather?
I am doing trial and error with craft foam, but I'm having a hard time making it fit tight all the way around me. Is there a crafting trick to make something fit tight all the way around the waist? I have tried a few ideas and they work alright, but I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there.
Also, what would be the best way to keep it on? I was thinking velcro or even lacing it with leather string.

ayaasan
06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
@Melima331:
I actually used craft foam, following a craft foam armor tutorial-- I made sure to double up on the cloth on the back with the sobo in order for it to withstand constant bending. In order to simulate leather, I used "Grecian Gold" rub 'n buff for the base over about 20 coats of modge podge mixed with sobo and water. Then I sponged on about 5 layers of black, red, sepia, and chocolate brown acrylic paint and sealed it with future. For a final touch I misted a few spots with spray-on stone in "Desert Red."

Each panel sticks out kinda funny at first, but once you sew on the leather cord lacing at the top, it looks just about perfect. :) (I also double-glued the back of each knot of leather cord on the back of the skirt to ensure that it wouldn't unravel) I used industrial grade velcro in three places along the back, and it forms fairly well onto my waist.

Hope this helps,

-Ayaa

Melima331
06-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks! I thought mine was sticking out too far, but I didn't have the lacing on yet. I may have to make the panels a little bigger because the gaps between them are a little large. I'll play around and see what I can do.
How high on the waist are you putting the skirt? Hers looks like it's just below the belly button. This is where I have a problem because I have hips and a booty - that's why I have trouble with it laying flat.
By the way, your Astrid cosplay looks amazing so far!

ayaasan
06-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Anatomically speaking, Astrid is waaaaay stretched out, lol. Her waist is about 2 times longer than a normal human, much like the character designs favored by CLAMP. I placed my skirt at my waist-line, and made it a bit shorter to make my legs look a little longer. I'm also pretty curvy, but once the lacing is firmly in place it holds the skirt flaps pretty darn flat.
Each skirt panel was actually heated over the stove for a few seconds until it was "floppy" and then molded into a concave shape over a rolling pin--be sure to be careful! It makes a more accurate shape, imo, and it forms easier onto my legs ^__^ Also, be sure each panel is right next to and touching each, as it will allow the lacing to form tighter without having to worry about possibly ripping the craft foam if the panels are too far apart.

Melima331
08-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Update - I actually eneded up making my skirt out of white vinyl that I painted with many layers of brown. I would have loved to use leather, but it's way too expensive for me right now.
I only have a few details left before I finish. I would like to make the shield to go with my ax, but with other costumes and my thesis, I may not have time. I should have everything else ready for Youmacon.
Progress pics are in my gallery.

Melima331
11-13-2010, 08:01 PM
My Astrid is complete! Pics up in my gallery.