PDA

View Full Version : Dah!! Styling wigs on a foam head...

strychnine
09-08-2003, 01:15 AM
The foam head keeps flopping over...how do you guys DO it??

Any suggestions on how to stop it from falling over? I sometimes need it to be away from sitting on any flat surface while I cut the hair, since it's LONG...grrrr...it does have a hole in the bottom I think...

Any way I can make a blond wig brown? lol

Pendrell
09-08-2003, 01:26 AM
As to the coloring question: Prismacolor markers. :D
Err, except it's long, so that would probably take you a befrikkin' HUGE amount of time. But hey, that's what it's all about: dedication.
^^;

Um, as for the bobbling head issue, my wig started out long too, so I pinned it to the wig head with some intimidatingly large pins and wedged the neck of the wig head between two very, very large books near the end of my dresser. ... if that makes any sense. I also wedged the wig head between my knees occasionally when I was coloring on the ends. <.< If you really need it steady, heck, tape it to your work surface maybe. ^^;;

Gren
09-08-2003, 08:13 AM
I bought what was supposed to be a wig head holder that works through a suction cup (with a rod sticking out the top, for the wighead's hold to be placed over) But the puny little suction cut couldn't hold up to the job, so I duct taped the wig head holder to a bucket of paint. Now that little #($&! only goes where I WANT it to go! Nyah hah hah!!

Koumori
09-08-2003, 08:13 AM
I use a 2-liter soda bottle, filled with water. The cap just fits the indent on the bottom of the head. Then carefully tape the head to the bottle with duct tape (go all the way around the bottom of the neck so you don't have loose tape for the wig to get caught in). Then pin the wig to the head with quilt pins.

strychnine
09-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Awesome!! Thanks for the ideas...my wigs won't know what hit them..mwahaha...

You guys RAWK!

Sarcasm-hime
09-08-2003, 01:02 PM
There are also wig head clamps that you can buy from makeup/wig suppliers...it's a thing that you clamp to a table and stick the wig head on top.

strychnine
09-08-2003, 02:31 PM
There are also wig head clamps that you can buy from makeup/wig suppliers...it's a thing that you clamp to a table and stick the wig head on top.

Ooh!! That's an excellent idea! I'm going to look into one of those! Every serious cosplayer needs one of those...lol

EDIT*************

Looking at wig sites is scarey...^_^ ;; Thet're full of painted decapitated heads...that stare....

Michela
09-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Looking at wig sites is scarey...^_^ ;; Thet're full of painted decapitated heads...that stare....

That's why I love foam wig heads... they're completely featureless, so I don't have to close my closet in fear that a decapitated head is spying on me. ^_^ As for styling, you can easily pin the wig to the head with small sewing pins, (all you have to do is pin it at every major area, like the top, sides, and bottom) and in order to preserve the head, I just clamp it between two heavy objects, like my knees or school textbooks (at least there's *one* practical use for them ^_~)

penultimate03
09-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Me, I had a 5 foot long wig that I had to style, and it was a challenge, haha.

First I had it wedged on the top bunk of my bunk beds, but that worked like crap.

But then I looked at my dress form. I took off the form part, so that only the pole that held it up was there, and I just stuck the foam head on that, and it was PERFECT. Man, I would probably still be struggling if I hadn't done that.

Angel Kat III
09-13-2003, 11:57 PM
But then I looked at my dress form. I took off the form part, so that only the pole that held it up was there, and I just stuck the foam head on that, and it was PERFECT. Man, I would probably still be struggling if I hadn't done that.

*bows down to her new god* I love you! I didn't even think of that!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!
~Angel kat III

Ali
09-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Yeah... I don't have to worry about scary wig head stares.... I have about eight wigs hanging off of stuffed cows, lamps, big plastic gummy bears, gigantic nutella jars, etc.

(wig heads are too expensive. ;_; )

evil_neko
09-19-2003, 11:29 AM
Hehe, Ali, I'm in the same boat... I have the random plastic jar just chilling out for no reason in my room and my Yuna wig fits on it perfectly (of course, that thing is damn near indestructable), and I have my new one hanging off my bedpost, simply because I don't have time to find anything to put it on ^_^;;;

Also - My friend kitty_neko told me about this trick, if wig head are too expensive, you can make your own out of a balloon and a styrofoam cone. Cover the balloon in paper mache, leaving a clean space at the bottom that's big enough to stick the cone up. Once it's COMPLETELY dry, pop the balloon and put the cone in the hole to steady it. I think she also hot glued that balloon and cone together, but I'm not sure, I've never done it. Just thought I'd mention ^_^;

Hee, and Ali, your number of posts amuses my to no end... XD;

angel_peach
09-24-2003, 11:04 PM
Hrm, I'm not sure where you've been looking for heads, but have you tried looking at Sally Beauty Supply? (I'm pretty sure its a national chain...). I got some there for about $3 if I'm not mistaken. Granted, it was like 2 years ago, but I'd imagine the price hasn't gone up much.
They way I look at it, if you're going to be spending $50 or something on a wig, $3 is a cheap investment to keep it looking good.